AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-13, 02:46   Link #3361
Darthtabby

He doesn't seem to be that concerned about looking for Ranka when he's actually on Island Three though. He's quite intense on the train when he tells Sheryl there's a place he really wants to take her, but once he's on Island Three itself he seems content to take a leisurely pace for the most part. Even once Ranka's singing alerts him to her presence he doesn't seem to be in much of a rush to go to her.

Now combine that with him being able to see Mikhail, the fact that there's nothing saying where the train Ranka is boarding is going, and the fact that such a train could have multiple stops.

See why I'm inclined to take what he says to Sheryl at face value?

Edit: Karice -this kind of grew out of LMK's claim about Sheryl and Alto having no chemistry... It got me to revisit an old argument about whether Alto was actually into the outting he ended up on with Sheryl. I'd let things slide back then but with this "they have no chemistry claim" I decided I wanted to prove that he ended up enjoying the time he spent with Sheryl on that outting and wasn't itching to find Ranka while doing so.

Granted it probably is a little out of place in this thread...
Old 2011-11-13, 03:53   Link #3362
cheesie
Dame Cheesie
*Graphic Designer

Wonderful, we can establish three things before we move on:

1. Alto and Sheryl fell in love and Macross Frontier acknowledged it in a way, well, only Macross series knows how. (hello, bittersweet ending). Alto had perhaps once entertained fleeting thoughts of settling down with Ranka because hey, she really is a nice girl and they get along well, but clearly, this became history when Sheryl grew more prominent in his life. Burn!

2. So Kawamori already had this ending in mind during the development of the Tv series. Don't mind the Aruran butthurt going around here, this is what happens when a group of overzealous fans put on full powered shipping goggles and write fanfics to one another, agree how no one else but them could see the Absolute Truth, and then stay permanently in a state of denial when the TV series, movies, guidebooks, interviews, illustrations and The Word of God blasted those fanfics to a billion pieces, all this without anyone lifting a finger.

3. Kawamori evidently has a sweet bone - the childhood Arusherri scene nearly made me melt in a puddle of fangirl goo.

Now that we've agreed on this, we can now make full use of the ignore function to block some people...

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-11-13 at 10:47. Reason: Please do, and let's not put your foot in your mouth while you do so...
Old 2011-11-13, 04:44   Link #3363
Dash_Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Moving on, I'm putting aside the director's interview for the moment, since a certain controversial article has finally been verified. Although I won't be posting the scan, all the text within these 「brackets」 is noted to be from Kawamori himself (the Re: subheadings are mine). I've also corrected the mistakes I spotted in my original translation - if there are others, please let me know
So now it's confirmed that the interview is real? good to know.
Thanks for translating that text back then, and for verifying and translating it again now, Karice.

Quote:
(2) So...what do you all think about the little video that played during the ending? Specifically, the order of the clips?
To be honest I didn't pay attention to it (except for certain scene), I thought it was just a video with random scenes from the movies put in order, I didn't even noticed the parts from the "nyan kuri".
But now with this I'll watch it again later, keeping in mind the order of the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesie
Now that we've agreed on this, we can now make full use of the ignore function to block some people...
I have never used the ignore function on a forum, and I won't start now because normally I ignore those kind of posts by myself, so there's no need for that.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-11-13 at 10:48.
Old 2011-11-13, 05:02   Link #3364
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Spoiler for my comments...:
Stop being so amazing Karice.

In any case, i just re watched the ending video in the credits (twice, even). All I can think of is @_@ Whut? I don't notice anything specific about the order of the clips at all.
Old 2011-11-13, 05:44   Link #3365
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
I know he spotted Ranka boarding a train, but I'm not inclined to believe he went to Island Three to look for her. There's nothing saying where the train is going, and she's already made contact with Mikhail. Besides, how would he know where Ranka plans to get off at?

Given all that it's logical to think that his reason for going to Island Three was the one he told Sheryl with such intensity after he spotted one of the Islands through the window of the train the two of them were on -that there was a place he really wanted to take her.

Sorry for pushing the Island Three thing so hard but I'd let the matter drop during a past discussion with LMK this time around I'm inclined not to. The evidence is for Alto being eager to show Sheryl Island Three and against him spending the whole time wishing he was looking for Ranka.
He has been, subconsciously, searching for Ranka throughout the episode since the phone call from Michael. And since Michael received said message from Ozma (their commanding officer), it becomes like a pride thing to Alto more than friendship; "if I find her first, I get in the commander's good graces" is what he's thinking, and giving his hard training, that would be a plus; but he's also concerned about her. He had no idea she'd been suspended.

But the questionable thing about the "boarding a train" piece you're talking about is that we only see him watching Ranka board the train. We don't Michael do so in follow. So we can assume Alto's face at that was "she's there!"

There is no doubt that when they reach Island 3, Alto is searching for Ranka. It's not because he knows she's there but he is actually searching every port (once again subconsciously) for her. He decided to start with Island 3 on ambition (and also to show Sheryl the Zentradi). But, a part of me has to wonder if Alto was thinking of Ranka's 1/4th Zentrant when going there. But, in the end, when he finds her, his face is "I knew it."

There was no argue in the fact Alto had been searching for Ranka; but of course he wasn't going to tell Sheryl and ruin her "fun" with the panties and whatnot. It was duty oriented to begin with and that's how it ended.
Old 2011-11-13, 06:24   Link #3366
magnuskn

Quote:
[Currently, I probably approach Macross from the 'character analysis' perspective, followed by a more general 'little mysteries' perspective and the mecha perspecitve, with the (love) triangle coming last, except where it's bleedingly obvious How about the rest of you?
Character analysis, love triangle, general story. Mecha is simply part of the universe, I am not really interested in the technical details of them, as they are physically even more implausible than BattleMechs from BattleTech.
Old 2011-11-13, 06:52   Link #3367
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Hunter View Post
So now it's confirmed that the interview is real? good to know.
It's not really an interview...it's set up as a collection of comments about the mysteries that most viewers are meant to have come away thinking about.

Of course, the most important question in most people's minds isn't going to be answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post

In any case, i just re watched the ending video in the credits (twice, even). All I can think of is @_@ Whut? I don't notice anything specific about the order of the clips at all.
'Amazing'? Heavens, this is NOTHING compared to what some other Macross fans have done over the years.

To be honest, I have no real idea what he wants us to take from it myself, just some, possibly quite biased speculation. So I'm really curious as to what other people think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Character analysis, love triangle, general story. Mecha is simply part of the universe, I am not really interested in the technical details of them, as they are physically even more implausible than BattleMechs from BattleTech.
Mecha in Macross is AWESOME! Don't knock the mecha!

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-11-13, 07:03   Link #3368
magnuskn

Quote:
I'm not. Mecha combat is great in Macross. But I am also not getting into technical discussions about them, because while the combat looks fantastic, the technical aspect really is not interesting to me.
Old 2011-11-13, 11:32   Link #3369
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
But of course my dear, so are you.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-13, 12:06   Link #3370
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Sooooo... When's the duel?

Old 2011-11-13, 12:22   Link #3371
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Sooooo... When's the duel?
I already won, because I am the one with the dress...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-13, 16:31   Link #3372
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post

Maybe he means the clips ended (with the implication Sheryl's awakening) just before the concert starts? The last clips are Ranka's cover in Afterschool Overflown, Bride Sheryl, Alto speaking as he folds and Sheryl's humming Hoshi Kira. So yeah.....

Quote:
'Amazing'? Heavens, this is NOTHING compared to what some other Macross fans have done over the years.
You are amazing and super patient.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-11-15, 03:18   Link #3373
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

@Tak
Does that mean that if I asked, you'd hand over the dress?

@Thess
Not really, I just find translating fun. Though episode commentaries are a little more challenging than I like atm...

...but I'm going to have to pass the baton over to Yot-chan for a while here - lest I fail my exam later this week!

edit: one other thing...a couple of groups have now modified the original sub and released their own versions. If anyone has them, might I request the .ass file(s) please? I just want to see what the edits are like...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-15 at 06:27.
Old 2011-11-15, 10:20   Link #3374
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
@Tak
...but I'm going to have to pass the baton over to Yot-chan for a while here - lest I fail my exam later this week!
Damn you Karice...

Okay, personally, I *hate* translating interviews, but I'll try to have the Kawamori bits about the ending up by tomorrow or Thursday.
Old 2011-11-15, 20:13   Link #3375
Darthtabby

Thanks for your work both of you.
Old 2011-11-18, 10:21   Link #3376
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Some amusing "notes" found inside SnT's ASS subtitle file:
Quote:
Style: rankakeysong,Complete in Him
Style: anotherfuckingrankasongwtf,CheapSignage
Style: HOLYSHITANOTHERONE,D3 Streetism
Style: <RHExcelion> I FUCKING SWEAR IF THE NEXT SONG IS ALSO A RANKA SONG,Brady Bunch
Style: AWWWWWWSHITYOUDUNGOOFEDNOW,Gabriola
Style: HERE WE GO rankagoaway,Amienne
Style: theonlygoodrankasong,Amienne
Come on now... even the Ranka fans must be at that. Or not....

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Comparing her to the Brady Bunch... you honestly haven't seen the show...
As for the others... honestly, don't care. It's an honor to have our "little queen" compared to shows that were very good (or otherwise enjoyable). You actually do us the honor of enjoying that too.

Or is that their username?
That is straight cut & paste from the sub file - I only edited out the timing and placement strings to make it easier on the eyes. So no, none of that is my opinion; I actually enjoy most of the songs from both movies (and the series, of course ) including Ranka's.

Last edited by Falcor; 2011-11-18 at 18:11.
Old 2011-11-18, 16:11   Link #3377
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Some amusing "notes" found inside SnT's ASS subtitle file:

Come on now... even the Ranka fans must be at that. Or not....
Comparing her to the Brady Bunch... you honestly haven't seen the show...
As for the others... honestly, don't care. It's an honor to have our "little queen" compared to shows that were very good (or otherwise enjoyable). You actually do us the honor of enjoying that too.

Or is that their username?

But also...

Kawamori already stated in the interview after Itsuwari no Utahime that Ranka's rise to fame was in that movie and the real "show" would appear in Sayonara no Tsubasa (proof that she'd become a Songstress). What they seem to be irritated with is Ranka's voice actor or singer (Nakajima Megumi). Since they pick on Ranka's songs, they're actually picking on the actor, and by that, you have to find a fine line between picking on a character and picking on an actor/singer who plays said character.

I hate Sheryl. I like Endo. I like May'n's songs and have them on repeat often.

See? I may hate the character, but I still followed May'n despite her being chosen for that part. These people who posted all this bullshit in that subtitle file will NOT follow Nakajima as an artist for they have already stated they hate her music by saying "really, another fucking Ranka song?" and being pissed about it.

So I think what someone should say to them is "find the fine line between disliking a character and disliking the person(/s) who play them."
Old 2011-11-18, 22:48   Link #3378
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

Ugh. I hated The Brady Bunch, it was just so....*shudders* Let's just not go there.

@LMK, the opinions of the subbers is just that, their opinions. Don't make it sound like everyone here shares the same thought as them, besides, theirs don't even compare to the True Tears sub.
And FYI, not everyone hates NakaMegu just because she plays Ranka. Get that straight.
Old 2011-11-18, 23:41   Link #3379
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
Ugh. I hated The Brady Bunch, it was just so....*shudders* Let's just not go there.
That's not what I meant. I'm saying that Ranka has no connection (structure, character, or bodily wise) with the Brady Bunch. So therefore there should be no comparison.

Quote:
@LMK, the opinions of the subbers is just that, their opinions. Don't make it sound like everyone here shares the same thought as them, besides, theirs don't even compare to the True Tears sub.
And FYI, not everyone hates NakaMegu just because she plays Ranka. Get that straight.
Yes, I know that.

I didn't watch True Tears.

And actually, what I mean by that last one was that, according to their "statements" for those parts where the songs came in, they really showed a hatred for having to sub Ranka's songs, which are - whether they realize it or not - Nakajima Megumi's songs. Therefore, they show hatred for Nakajima. I don't know if they realize that, so I decided to say so above. It wasn't that I felt they ALL hate Nakajima at all, just saying it comes off that way when they put notes like that in the subtitles.
Old 2011-11-18, 23:58   Link #3380
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
And actually, what I mean by that last one was that, according to their "statements" for those parts where the songs came in, they really showed a hatred for having to sub Ranka's songs, which are - whether they realize it or not - Nakajima Megumi's songs. Therefore, they show hatred for Nakajima. I don't know if they realize that, so I decided to say so above. It wasn't that I felt they ALL hate Nakajima at all, just saying it comes off that way when they put notes like that in the subtitles.
IMHO, those "colorful metaphors" were meant to be sarcastic, not an actual critique. Otherwise I'm sure they wouldn't bother encoding them into the sub file. That is what makes it more of a running gag than anything else, since those aren't mere comments; they are the assigned string variables used whenever Ranka lyrics popup on screen. Adds a lot of unnecessary bulk to the sub file, but who's going to honestly complain - they did take the time to make the sub in the first place. For that, I'm sure many of us are grateful.
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song