AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2008-05-10, 07:18   Link #3361
janfive

272 was awesome. One major misunderstanding cleared.
Great couple of chapters for Flag but I think that's it.
Too bad since Harima's misunderstanding of Eri was cleared up first it probably means that it's Yakumo's turn next and timing it to tell that the series is going to end would mean that it's Harima and Yakumo in the end and the end of tunnel vision....Unless Harima would remember this chapter and see that the eyes are indeed the windows to one's soul
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 08:15   Link #3362
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Theres nothing to really "fix" in terms of Yakumo, there was never any false pretense or any of the sort. Its only a matter of a confession, and thats whats left for Eri as well. Somehow I doubt Yakumo would confess, I just have a hard time visualizing it. I do see Eri's confession to be a lot more dramatic, theres too much history between the two, and a tsundere's confession is always dramatic.

If anything were to happen with Yakumo, Harima would have to be the one to take that step. But, I somehow believe that he'll always see her as "Imouto-san"
HayashiTakara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 08:46   Link #3363
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonX View Post
Yakumo will win 4 sure! Eri has her fiance` to attend to
fighto, onigiri shipper /jk

everyone was screaming an onigiri ending during the forest scene and now chapter 272 is screaming flag again. ahh, i wish KJ would stop beating the bushes and put closure on one pairing if he is planning to go to a certain one (any type would do for me exceot oudou of course, tenma and karasuma can stay in america for all eternity)

of course, never has school rumble created this much development since the kyoto arc.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 08:54   Link #3364
Freeter
beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Somehow I doubt Yakumo would confess, I just have a hard time visualizing it
Then simply go back and read 258 again. Jin's done the visualizing for you.

The problem here is that some of you are going directly off of Townsocks' translation, which makes it look like Yakumo doesn't manage to get the words out. In the original Japanese, she yells out 'daisuki' which is, in fact, a confession. The difference is that unlike its English counterpart, it doesn't have a context attached to it. This can easily lead to a misunderstanding, which Jin takes advantage of in the next scene ("YOU LOVE MANGA!").

This is also used in anime as well. Watch the Full Metal Panic TSR OVA special to see an example of it in action, when Tessa confesses but Sousuke thinks she's become a raging alcoholic
Old 2008-05-10, 09:49   Link #3365
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Wow.....what a touching chapter. Eri complimenting Harima on his eyes was awesome. And how she lifted him out of his funk was one of the most romantic things I've ever seen (yes, beatings can be romantic :S). Now, there are people saying that it's Yakumo's turn next to clear up misunderstandings, or pour out her heart to him. But what Eri just did, showed that she could lift Harima out of his deep depression over losing Tenma. Even if Yakumo and Harima have a touching scene now, it won't be the same way of her lifting his heart from the dumps. I really think that Onigiri will struggle now, sad as I am to admit it.

Last edited by Amirali; 2008-05-10 at 15:37. Reason: removed the error about who made the beautiful eyes comment
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 09:54   Link #3366
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

zOmG, strange to see you around these parts amirali
Old 2008-05-10, 10:05   Link #3367
Supah Em
WHO DO YOU THINK WE ARE?!
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirali1985 View Post
Harima saying that Eri has beautiful eyes was awesome.
observing the flow of the conversation it looks like eri was the one saying that to harima. with the obvious explanation that harima was hiding in sunglasses since that hentai-san incident.

if harima said that eri would have blushed massively but to another person it would really sound odd.
Supah Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 10:30   Link #3368
Daito-kun
wanderer

Send a message via ICQ to Daito-kun
Yes, I'm very confused about this part too... So who's eyes are beutiful????Really, Harima or Eri did say that? as for me, i say Eri..
Daito-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 10:42   Link #3369
Amirali
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Amirali
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post
observing the flow of the conversation it looks like eri was the one saying that to harima. with the obvious explanation that harima was hiding in sunglasses since that hentai-san incident.

if harima said that eri would have blushed massively but to another person it would really sound odd.
Whoops. I reread it, and you seem right. That aside, I still found it great that Eri was able to lift Harima's heart from his Tenma-gone funk. Before the only way he would be lifted from his funk was usually (if not always) by regaining his desire to chase after her and belief he would win. This time, it's different. Tunnel vision , sayanora!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
zOmG, strange to see you around these parts amirali
I was a yakumo shipper before anything else .
Amirali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 11:06   Link #3370
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Ah, I see. I'm a big Eri fan obviously.

But yeah, it'll be really tough to follow up on what happened between Eri and Harima, can't wait to see what happens next. I sense angst in the upcoming chapter(s)
Old 2008-05-10, 11:08   Link #3371
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahem View Post

Seconded. The last panel of what Eri said was definitely a follow-up to the 'beautiful eyes' comment.

It's almost taboo to say this as an Onigiri-shipper, but I'd wager that it's probably going to be much more interesting if Flag happens (be it in fanfiction, in our imaginations or the manga itself ) now that the misunderstandings are gone.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 11:13   Link #3372
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Remember in earlier posts, when people said that the only way Flag would happen is if Harima and Eri's misunderstandings were to clear up? Well, you asked for it, and Jin-sama delivers, lol
Old 2008-05-10, 15:58   Link #3373
SkoolRumble4Ya

Yup you are right! I wonder how will Eri and Harima interact from now on. Also Yakumo better step her game up to prevent Eri from snatchin Harima. I used to be just Yakumo supporter but when reading the manga I support both faction. I just hope that something special will happen that will bring the two together not just rushing things.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 21:05   Link #3374
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Don't think of 272 as an indicator of a FLAG ending guys. Just think of it as the halfway mark for KIDS MEAL.
That's Eri down (practically), now to snag Yakumo for the perfect ending.
HELL YEAH!!! A KIDS MEAL ENDING!!!
Old 2008-05-10, 23:06   Link #3375
Visiroth
Cutout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Then simply go back and read 258 again. Jin's done the visualizing for you.

The problem here is that some of you are going directly off of Townsocks' translation, which makes it look like Yakumo doesn't manage to get the words out. In the original Japanese, she yells out 'daisuki' which is, in fact, a confession. The difference is that unlike its English counterpart, it doesn't have a context attached to it. This can easily lead to a misunderstanding, which Jin takes advantage of in the next scene ("YOU LOVE MANGA!").

This is also used in anime as well. Watch the Full Metal Panic TSR OVA special to see an example of it in action, when Tessa confesses but Sousuke thinks she's become a raging alcoholic
The difficult thing about reading something in Japanese is the ambiguous sentence structure. It's easy enough for someone to go by what they think "feels appropriate" and fill in the gaps for you using contextual clues, but then they aren't really giving you the full experience. Had he chosen "I like you!" by filling in the gaps, Harima's confusion would seem completely inappropriate.

By the way, Townsocks is a pretty strong Onigiri shipper, so I admire the fact that he's committed to tell it as it is, rather than shoving his bias down our throats. He's explained himself before on a similar point.

I think the main crisis in that chapter was more to do with Harima telling Yakumo that they probably wouldn't be working together after this. That's what got her worked up in the first place. When he told her that they would work together until they became better than Karasuma, that pretty much solved all of her troubles. Their relationship is going to be secure for a looong time to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
If we list Flag as having the two characters being the main focus or the sole focus of the entire chapter, I'd agree. Fans (Onigiri or Flag in the chapters that focus on either) tend to get extremely excited at this things, though not for a good reason. After all that absence, it's no surprise to see some of us getting riled up. I won't say it's impossible for a Flag or Onigiri ending, though. Depends on how it progresses.

It's a pity that the apparent news that SR is going to end came about at this time. As nice as it seems for Harima to be paired off with Yakumo or Eri, I do think the most likely scenario is that he will end up "alone", or there will be a reset albeit with subtle but impactful changes.
I agree with you on this one. The unfortunate part is that while Harima roughly understands that he's caused trouble with Eri, it's not clear how much he really understands about what went on between them. I hope that whatever epilogue that we get shows that they have some sort of lasting bond (be it friendship, budding romance, or whatever) to make this whole journey worthwhile.

I still think that their chemistry makes this series, of course.
Visiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-10, 23:22   Link #3376
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

The Daisuki Yakumo said in the back chapters seems similar to Tessa's confession to Sagara in the Full Metal Panic Tessa OVA. Which Sagara thought that Tessa likes to drink as in Yakumo likes manga. I loled when I got the joke in FMP....but this is school rumble!

Also everyone in school rumble if you're focusing on all the characters, all of them there making a bonds of friendships and still pretty balanced up to now, except for Madoka...we dunno if she's really cheating or not...
Old 2008-05-10, 23:41   Link #3377
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Even though Tenma was the intended Heroine of the series, the show is really about Eri in my book XD
Old 2008-05-11, 01:49   Link #3378
-Ajax-
Fanatical Kyon Follower

Send a message via AIM to -Ajax-
Oh lawd, Flag hook, line, and sinker. The misunderstandings have been put aside and Harima looks at her in a new light, things could not get much better...well, tying it off with a budding romance would do it well actually :P
-Ajax- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 10:58   Link #3379
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
I was a bit behind with School Rumble and just read everything I was missing, up to the newest chapters.

Now there is something, which confuses me: Why does suddenly everyone knows about Harima's feelings?

It seem to start in the forest, after Yakumo and Harima brought Tenma and Karasuma together; they are spied on by Akira, Mikoto and Eri, and those three talk about how Harima was/is in love with Tenma. But why do they know?
Okay, Akira isn't a surprise; she seems to be the only person in the story who really understands the feelings of all the others, though she never seemed to seriously talk about it. Eri suspected Harima to be in love with Tenma... but didn't she discard this theory again? And Mikoto shouldn't even know it at all.
Though all three talk about it, like it is a fact, and its not just them: After this chapter it looks like really every character knows about Harima's feelings for Tenma.
IMHO this doesn't make sense. I don't think that I missed a chapter...
Ahh really good question i was wondering myself but just thougt that I missed something along the way. Anyone can clear this up ?
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-11, 12:25   Link #3380
dieseltrain

Here's the deal, Harima real plan is to open a massage parlor!
dieseltrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hige, ojou, school