Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2009-03-08, 10:31   Link #321
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I don't understand why the button illustrations/descriptions for the moves are so, so obtuse. And I cannot link a freaking medium punch to a hakuden for the life of me (managed to do it twice but have no idea how), let alone some actual combos. It's a frustrating game, but I do like it (got it a couple days ago). Where is the step-by-step tutorial showing you exactly how and when/what to press, and the distances you need to be away from the character, etc.?! It seems half the game is playing "discover the game mechanic," which was probably fun 20 years ago, but kind of questionable in a modern game.

I'm thinking that much of the "enjoyment" is derived from some sort-of catharsis that occurs every time you break through the invisible walls the game constantly sets up before you. Even on medium that bastard Seth's death sent me into an almost violent relief. This game is frustrating but it is also the first fighting game that genuinely makes me want to move beyond the button-mashing stage.
Some moves you have to buffer, buffering in fighting games differ from game to game but it commonly means to start preforming a move within a move for example, while you do Akuma's hurricane kick you buffer in his SRK so by the end of the hurricane kick his SRK will hit.

I really haven't played much SFIV to be honest but buffering in SF IV for certain moves is basically holding down the punch or kick button then releasing it after you've inputted the move.

Not all moves are like that but I believe Sakura's jp.fp,SRK is like that. So for Sakura you would jump and while on you're on your way down hit and HOLD fp(fierce punch or I think the game has it as heavy punch) and as soon as do quickly preform the SRK (Shoryuken) movement and release the button. SFIV uses a lot of shortcuts when it comes to directional inputs for example the easy way I do an SRK is like this: DF, D, DF+punch
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 14:04   Link #322
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki View Post
Some moves you have to buffer, buffering in fighting games differ from game to game but it commonly means to start preforming a move within a move for example, while you do Akuma's hurricane kick you buffer in his SRK so by the end of the hurricane kick his SRK will hit.

I really haven't played much SFIV to be honest but buffering in SF IV for certain moves is basically holding down the punch or kick button then releasing it after you've inputted the move.

Not all moves are like that but I believe Sakura's jp.fp,SRK is like that. So for Sakura you would jump and while on you're on your way down hit and HOLD fp(fierce punch or I think the game has it as heavy punch) and as soon as do quickly preform the SRK (Shoryuken) movement and release the button. SFIV uses a lot of shortcuts when it comes to directional inputs for example the easy way I do an SRK is like this: DF, D, DF+punch
You're getting buffering mixed up with negative edge. Negative edge is performing special moves by releasing the button rather than by pressing the button, as most fighting games recognize inputs on both button down and button up actions.

Buffering is more generally known as cancelling, but it refers to a specific type of cancelling: normal moves into special moves. So when you do a FP, SRK combo with Ryu, you are buffering the FP into the SRK, as the entire FP animation does not take place.

A non-buffering combo example would be Ken's crouching Strong Punch (I guess Medium Punch) comboed into his Super Art 3 in Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. You have to wait for the cr. SP to finish before you can execute the Super Art, but it will still combo.

For those trying to practice, I'd recommend 2 in 1s as a starting point. 2 in 1s refer to doing 2 moves in one motion. For example, Ryu can buffer his crouching Forward Kick (or MK) into his fireball. However, instead of letting the stick return to neutral or letting your finger move off the D-pad, you do a fireball motion, hit MK at the start of the motion, then hit a punch at the end of the motion.
Old 2009-03-09, 01:32   Link #323
ReverseFate
Chinese Federation

At first I was pretty hesitant to get this game, since I thought reviving a good franchise might not be such a good idea. But then I read this review, and now I am definitely going to get this baby!

So, is this game really as good as the review said it was? Because I am really pumped to get it after reading that! xD
ReverseFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 04:09   Link #324
Tornix
The Evil Twin

Send a message via ICQ to Tornix Send a message via AIM to Tornix Send a message via Yahoo to Tornix
I just skimmed over the review and I agree with it. Seriously, pick it up.
Old 2009-03-11, 02:40   Link #325
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Js2756 View Post
You're getting buffering mixed up with negative edge. Negative edge is performing special moves by releasing the button rather than by pressing the button, as most fighting games recognize inputs on both button down and button up actions.

Buffering is more generally known as cancelling, but it refers to a specific type of cancelling: normal moves into special moves. So when you do a FP, SRK combo with Ryu, you are buffering the FP into the SRK, as the entire FP animation does not take place.

A non-buffering combo example would be Ken's crouching Strong Punch (I guess Medium Punch) comboed into his Super Art 3 in Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. You have to wait for the cr. SP to finish before you can execute the Super Art, but it will still combo.

For those trying to practice, I'd recommend 2 in 1s as a starting point. 2 in 1s refer to doing 2 moves in one motion. For example, Ryu can buffer his crouching Forward Kick (or MK) into his fireball. However, instead of letting the stick return to neutral or letting your finger move off the D-pad, you do a fireball motion, hit MK at the start of the motion, then hit a punch at the end of the motion.
You seem to know a lot.. Do you have any tips on doing ryu trail 4 normal?

-> [ Jump ] Heavy Kick
-> Heavy Punch
-> Shoryuken
-> Shinku Hadoken

It seems that I can't pre-enter any key from shoryuken before I hit the Heavy punch which make this pretty hard. Is there a easier way?
karasuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 12:58   Link #326
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasuma View Post
You seem to know a lot.. Do you have any tips on doing ryu trail 4 normal?

-> [ Jump ] Heavy Kick
-> Heavy Punch
-> Shoryuken
-> Shinku Hadoken

It seems that I can't pre-enter any key from shoryuken before I hit the Heavy punch which make this pretty hard. Is there a easier way?
Let me see if I can help you. I've already completed all of the normal trials, so I'll see what I can do here.

To be honest, for me at least, I didn't find this one difficult. The key trick to pulling off the Shinku Hadoken right after the Shoryuken, is to very quickly do an Hadoken motion with any punch. You see, when you link from a special move into a super move, you don't literally have to input the whole command sequence for the super move in order to execute it. So, basically what you're going to be doing is, you do the shoryuken motion, immediately followed by just an hadoken motion. What happens in this phenomenon, is that the first hadoken motion is already registered in the shoryuken motion you've done, which means that only one more hadoken motion is required to execute the super move. The Shinku Hadoken should come out if this is done correctly.

I'll give you another example to clarify what I mean. E. Honda is my main character. You're aware that Honda's super move is to charge back for two seconds, forward, back, forward +punch, right? Well, there's a way to connect his normal headbutt move (charging back for two seconds followed by pressing forward +punch) into his super headbutt move. All that is required to do this combo connection, is to perform his normal headbutt move, subsequently followed by pressing back and then forward+punch. As you can see, the first part of the super headbutt move is already registered in the prior normal headbutt move sequence.

I hope this helps you.
Old 2009-03-11, 16:41   Link #327
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Let me see if I can help you. I've already completed all of the normal trials, so I'll see what I can do here.

To be honest, for me at least, I didn't find this one difficult. The key trick to pulling off the Shinku Hadoken right after the Shoryuken, is to very quickly do an Hadoken motion with any punch. You see, when you link from a special move into a super move, you don't literally have to input the whole command sequence for the super move in order to execute it. So, basically what you're going to be doing is, you do the shoryuken motion, immediately followed by just an hadoken motion. What happens in this phenomenon, is that the first hadoken motion is already registered in the shoryuken motion you've done, which means that only one more hadoken motion is required to execute the super move. The Shinku Hadoken should come out if this is done correctly.

I'll give you another example to clarify what I mean. E. Honda is my main character. You're aware that Honda's super move is to charge back for two seconds, forward, back, forward +punch, right? Well, there's a way to connect his normal headbutt move (charging back for two seconds followed by pressing forward +punch) into his super headbutt move. All that is required to do this combo connection, is to perform his normal headbutt move, subsequently followed by pressing back and then forward+punch. As you can see, the first part of the super headbutt move is already registered in the prior normal headbutt move sequence.

I hope this helps you.
Yes, I think I understand the double counting of move steps between Shoryuken and hadoken. The problem I have is transiting from a standing punch to Shoryuken.

For a standing punch, my pad has to be in neutral and then I press the HP button. Once that is in motion, I somehow need to enter all shoryuken steps right away in a very short time. I can do a forward punch into shoryuken very easily but not a standing punch.. May be I am just not good enough yet. More practice needed..

Then, of course, I do a square circle to complete the Shin Hadokan.. This part is easy.
Old 2009-03-11, 16:51   Link #328
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Yes, I think I understand the double counting of move steps between Shoryuken and hadoken. The problem I have is transiting from a standing punch to Shoryuken.

For a standing punch, my pad has to be in neutral and then I press the HP button. Once that is in motion, I somehow need to enter all shoryuken steps right away in a very short time. I can do a forward punch into shoryuken very easily but not a standing punch.. May be I am just not good enough yet. More practice needed..

Then, of course, I do a square circle to complete the Shin Hadokan.. This part is easy.
What system do you have this game for?

The way to transition from a standing HP into a shoryuken, is to do the shoryuken motion at the same time the HP hits. It will work, but you have to be very quick.
Old 2009-03-11, 17:13   Link #329
karasuma

Quote:
What system do you have this game for?

The way to transition from a standing HP into a shoryuken, is to do the shoryuken motion at the same time the HP hits. It will work, but you have to be very quick.
I have ps3..

Hrm... sounds like I just need to be quick..:P Ok, I will give that a try. Thanks.
Old 2009-03-11, 19:42   Link #330
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Can't you buffer a forward motion? Unlike in previous iterations of the series, forward (or back) + HP or HK doesn't result in a throw command anymore.

As such, the way I'd do it is...

1) Land the jumping HK late
2) Forward + HP
3) REALLY quickly D, DF + HP, you only have a few frames grace here
4) in the first frame when shoryuken hits, finish off to a shinku hadouken. You might wanna experiment with just F, D, DF, F + HP, since the D, DF from 3) already counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard
I've already completed all of the normal trials, so I'll see what I can do here.
So err... how exactly did you pull off Sagat's 'fake' kick? Even my stick playing friends can't for the life of them pull the stupid move off.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-11, 20:01   Link #331
Js2756
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Can't you buffer a forward motion? Unlike in previous iterations of the series, forward (or back) + HP or HK doesn't result in a throw command anymore.

As such, the way I'd do it is...

1) Land the jumping HK late
2) Forward + HP
3) REALLY quickly D, DF + HP, you only have a few frames grace here
4) in the first frame when shoryuken hits, finish off to a shinku hadouken. You might wanna experiment with just F, D, DF, F + HP, since the D, DF from 3) already counts.

So err... how exactly did you pull off Sagat's 'fake' kick? Even my stick playing friends can't for the life of them pull the stupid move off.
Forward + Hp gets you Ryu's rush punch, so you can't 2 in 1 the motion for this trial.

I'd break this trial up into pieces and get those down first before putting it all together. So practice comboing the jump-in with the HP first. Then practice HP xx SRK. Then practice SRK xx Shinku. Once you can do those three 2 hit combos consistently, start piecing it together, so move onto three hits like jump in HK, HP xx SRk, or HP xx SRK xx Shinku. I generally find that trying to do longer combos is easier by breaking it up and getting the timing down for each part first and then once you've developed a bit of muscle memory, you can do them without having to put a lot of conscious thought behind it.

You do have to be quick with the FP xx SRK buffer, and I can't really say more than practice and develop a quick thumb.
Old 2009-03-12, 13:17   Link #332
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I have ps3..

Hrm... sounds like I just need to be quick..:P Ok, I will give that a try. Thanks.
Cool. I have this game for the PS3 also. We should play together some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I know. Sagat's fake kick move is the most useless and stupid move in the game. Trust me, it took me awhile to finally execute it. Here's what you should do and I know that it is going to sound ridiculous, but it worked for me and a lot of other people as well. Set all of the buttons on your controller to Hard Kick. Then, rub the face buttons of your controller onto a smooth/soft surface. Do you have a bed or couch where ever it is you play? It should work once you do that, and it won't really take a long time either. Let me know how it goes for you.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2009-03-12 at 14:20.
Blackbeard D. Kuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-12, 13:38   Link #333
karasuma

Quote:
Cool. I have this game for the PS3 also. We should play together some time.
That sounds great... I only have the game since last Sunday though. I did play some SF 2 long time ago back in arcades but I am just a casual player.

My PSN is : Fr33_60_f4nb0y
Old 2009-03-13, 14:59   Link #334
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
That sounds great... I only have the game since last Sunday though. I did play some SF 2 long time ago back in arcades but I am just a casual player.

My PSN is : Fr33_60_f4nb0y
I'll be sure to add you as a friend and we'll play some games. Do you also plan on purchasing Resident Evil 5? You can do co-op online in that game, which sounds like a lot of fun.
Old 2009-03-13, 20:59   Link #335
karasuma

Quote:
I'll be sure to add you as a friend and we'll play some games. Do you also plan on purchasing Resident Evil 5? You can do co-op online in that game, which sounds like a lot of fun.
Not yet but you will know if I buy it in the future. Just check my trophies..
Old 2009-03-14, 21:25   Link #336
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

anyone knows a place to get non overpriced stick, amazon and ebay are way overpriced right now, and ps3 controller does not match my hand, i cant pull out moves at will
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 21:44   Link #337
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Actually, how does SFIV compare with the HD remix of SFII?
Old 2009-03-14, 22:18   Link #338
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

To put it in short, SF4 plays a lot like SSF2 Turbo (and HD Remix by that extension). There's some things added and some things changed, but overall it played more like the original than SFA or SF3 played like.
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-14, 23:34   Link #339
karasuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk2extreme View Post
anyone knows a place to get non overpriced stick, amazon and ebay are way overpriced right now, and ps3 controller does not match my hand, i cant pull out moves at will
Me too. I can't do dash with that little stick. Oh well, I think we will have to wait. Everything is out at this moment.
Old 2009-03-16, 08:47   Link #340
Westlo
Lets be reality

After 60 hours of playing on a dual shock 3 controller it seems my skill with the sticks has all but disappeared since I got a Hori FS3 (maybe playing it on my lap is also a reason). I lost about 900 rating trying to adapt to the stick, said fuck it and went back to dual shock 3 and went back up 1300 rating. I guess I'll stick with the ds3 for ranked now and try and get the hang of the stick better in practice.

Not being able to do Boxers headbutt 99% of the time is killing me on the stick, lucky to get it out 50%... other moves are all fine sigh.. but headbutts too vital especially linking it into an ultra.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capcom, fighting, ps3, recycling, windows, xbox360