AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Old 2009-11-29, 08:49   Link #321
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
well the whole imagine breaker denies everything that super natural and all and a god is classified super natural. So anything from it will be denied.
Some might argue that god is the ultimate natural, since it is from Him that everything else comes from.

A question to pose might be:

Can god create a stone so heavy even he can not lift it? If he created it, could he then shift it?

It's a paradox about what exactly god is capable of, and limitations therein. Imagine Breaker need not be the antithesis of God, but an aspect; with the imagine breaker, that unmovable stone can then be moved, satisfying both God's ability to create the immovable and yet move it.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 09:10   Link #322
tsunade666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Some might argue that god is the ultimate natural, since it is from Him that everything else comes from.

A question to pose might be:

Can god create a stone so heavy even he can not lift it? If he created it, could he then shift it?

It's a paradox about what exactly god is capable of, and limitations therein. Imagine Breaker need not be the antithesis of God, but an aspect; with the imagine breaker, that unmovable stone can then be moved, satisfying both God's ability to create the immovable and yet move it.
Sorry and all but I didn't understand the last part....... the all limitations, immovable and movable..... sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post

That's why I didn't like that scene from the anime... In the manga, Touma got hit in the head because he used his right hand to shield Index from most of the feathers, but couldn't reach that last feather in time- So he used his head.

Anyway, Dragon's Breath seems like a continous stream, so like Innocanteus, the magic technically 'regenerates' itself.
WoW. I didn't know about this. I though that he just didn't see it because his busy looking at index. Because both of his hands are both on his lap or rather below..... how to describe it,,,,,,,, his not using it...? sounds confusing but to me his just standing their waiting to be hit but now its been clarified.
tsunade666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 10:10   Link #323
Miraluka
Banned

It can't be a paradox if we assume that Touma/IB as a being higher than God is the son of God...
"who can surpass the father? The son can.
The son proves the existence of the father.
It can sound weird, but what if Touma is a kind of son of God?.

Last edited by Miraluka; 2009-11-29 at 10:25.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 10:35   Link #324
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean_the_Young View Post
Hmm, but if Index's theory on Touma's Imagine Breaker being the source of his misfortune is true, that would mean the god in the To Aruverse is not.

Considering the way magic works, I would say that god in the To Aruverse works like all of the supernatural things in the To Aruverse: He only exists because people believe he exists.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 11:08   Link #325
tsunade666

well isn't that the concept also of religion. A god exist because people tend to believe one. Though I'm not sure on the real world. I'm not a man of god or rather I'm not a total believer but then again I'm not a pure man of science. Just your stupid guy on the net.

Which reminds me if ITS existence is the result of the believers then it has a good chance that IB can break it. The whole nature of IB is the destroy your illusion thing like touma's punch line.
Old 2009-11-29, 14:19   Link #326
aliasxn
Eye for an Eye

I hope his power up wont be just an extended version of Imagine Breaker... It'd be just more of the same. If he fight's someone who knows martial arts or has a weapon, or if he is out numbered, he'd still be in a bad position no matter how far IB reaches...

It has to be something he can use to smite things.
aliasxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 17:19   Link #327
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
Touma´s power kinda reminds me of that mutant negation power in x-men

oh my this turned into another physics thread, go watch the big bang effect if you want to argue that much about physics
LeaD36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 21:59   Link #328
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Isn't 'bad luck' also something supernatural? Since Touma isn't influenced by luck at all, everything that occurs to him is 'natural'. So Touma really shouldn't be complaining about anything at all. btw, I would also say god is a natural being. What defines natural and supernatural anyways? All about perspective...
Old 2009-11-29, 23:51   Link #329
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Isn't 'bad luck' also something supernatural? Since Touma isn't influenced by luck at all, everything that occurs to him is 'natural'. So Touma really shouldn't be complaining about anything at all. btw, I would also say god is a natural being. What defines natural and supernatural anyways? All about perspective...
Well it is said his right hand will dispel even miracles of the gods.

I'd like to point out Touma is an Atheist.

If we apply the the cat in a box with radioactive poison is both alive and dead at the same time theory to Touma the cat is definitely dead or definitely alive but not both.

In a way Touma is an anti-Haruhi.

Difference is to Touma magicians and espers are a reality while Haruhi is clueless about the bunch she has gathered around herself.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 00:12   Link #330
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
If we apply the the cat in a box with radioactive poison is both alive and dead at the same time theory to Touma the cat is definitely dead or definitely alive but not both.
You probably just forgot the name:

"Schrödinger's Cat" theory.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schr%C3%B6dinger%27s_cat

Fun fact I just found: The theory was devised by Erwin Schrödinger in 1935, while the real life Aleister Crowley was alive (1875-1947).
Claies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 00:37   Link #331
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claies View Post
You probably just forgot the name:
Actually the spelling.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 01:00   Link #332
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

Quote:
Actually the spelling.
Oh, everybody does that. >_>

Quote:
In a way Touma is an anti-Haruhi.
I think that's a little bit farfetched. Touma can't really wish something away on a whim the way Haruhi does the opposite. Touma actually has to act to return things to normal, while Haruhi just...thinks of something.

Now, that doesn't make a Touma vs. Haruhi (or Nagato?) battle any less epic. Kyon would envy that kind of power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Correct. "Good luck" and "bad luck" are both considered supernatural by various religions and philosophies, so what really should happen to Touma is complete mediocrity. The whole "dispelling good luck because he can dispel god" assumes that deities in the Toaru world are in the sole business of dispensing good luck.
Old 2009-11-30, 01:58   Link #333
tsunade666

Or better he doesn't receive any blessing in religious term. Divine protection or grace or the same that has been or should be given to all but doesn't apply to him. Its like his a waking heresy to me. Denying the existence of super natural beings and events.

And if luck and bad luck are both super natural terms then the things that's happening to him are just plain old what you could say as " LUCK " his own kind of luck not influence by any other. His luck with girls and luck with his daily stunts and misfortune.

And considering touma as anti-haruhi well that's a possibility but then again what haruhi's doing is altering the reality forcing his own reality to the REALITY. Like an esper if you ask me. Well they did call her a GOD. But how can touma dispel it if he can differentiate what's the reality and not reality?
Old 2009-11-30, 03:52   Link #334
eiyuu99

The espers can recruit Touma to dispel those "giants".
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 05:39   Link #335
tsunade666

I don't think so because touma just being their will dispel the closed space itself so his not even needed to touch the giant. Just being their is enough. Woot koizumi will be glad if his their.... but oh well. Haruhi and Touma wouldn't be even get along to begin with. One super energetic the others so gloomy and all.
Old 2009-11-30, 13:16   Link #336
LastResolve

well since in episode 8 of karagu no railgun its mentioned that espers bring their own realities into reality that means Touma can destroy their realities wich means he can propably distord reality with his right hand
Old 2009-11-30, 13:34   Link #337
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

One thing I'm hoping would happen is that Touma's right hand isn't just for blocking. What I'm really looking for is something like Rockman/Megaman where if his right hand absorbs some power, he can in turn use it with his left hand until he absorbs something else.

That makes his character complete, I think.
Old 2009-11-30, 14:07   Link #338
Miraluka
Banned

That reminds me Itsuki Taiga from Mx0.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-30, 15:30   Link #339
tsunade666

Taiga's Mx0 card that erase magic and his Black Plate that eats magic and can be used later or one use.
Old 2009-11-30, 19:12   Link #340
eiyuu99

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I don't think so because touma just being their will dispel the closed space itself so his not even needed to touch the giant. Just being their is enough. Woot koizumi will be glad if his their.... but oh well. Haruhi and Touma wouldn't be even get along to begin with. One super energetic the others so gloomy and all.
Perhaps and perhaps not.
Touma has shown limitations with super regenerating effects,
meaning it may not have definite results with the field-type "Closed Space".
eiyuu99 is offline   Reply With Quote