AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2008-05-31, 17:37   Link #321
kujoe
from head to heel

There are differences between the function and power of Shiki's eyes and the Nanaya eyes. The most obvious being that Shiki doesn't need to wear special eyeglasses to keep the power in check. Generally, Shiki's eyes are more advanced than the ones that Shiki from Tsukihime has.

Well, I haven't read any of the novels, so I could be wrong in this... But as far how the lines themselves look on screen, whether one looks flatter or more detailed, I just chalk it up to how the animation folks choose to portray them.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 20:43   Link #322
Avisch
Reality Blender

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
There are differences between the function and power of Shiki's eyes and the Nanaya eyes. The most obvious being that Shiki doesn't need to wear special eyeglasses to keep the power in check. Generally, Shiki's eyes are more advanced than the ones that Shiki from Tsukihime has.

Well, I haven't read any of the novels, so I could be wrong in this... But as far how the lines themselves look on screen, whether one looks flatter or more detailed, I just chalk it up to how the animation folks choose to portray them.
Quote:
Actually her eyes are much more advanced then Tohno Shiki's eyes. Saying anything more will spoil the other movies.
Quote:
To just point out some things (might be already said however, duh...), the movie shows really well how Ryougi Shiki's eyes are so different:
You three. Get a medals.
I don't know if you're a Type-Moon fan like myself. But finally someone has used "advanced" instead of "better" when comparing Tohno/Nanaya Shiki and Rougi Shiki.

Novel. Does say the lines have color. But I don't think the novel never goes into huge detail (not as much as Tsukihime does when talking about the lines)

Quote:
From what I can tell, her only similarity with Tohno/Nanaya Shiki is that she is able to see the lines of death. The differences are the following:
-She can switch on/off the eyes if she wants
-She can only see lines, not dots
-She can't see lines on inanimate objects
-She can use some sort of telekinetic power (the hand grip thing)
No she cannot turn them off. She has simply accepted them. She had the option of using the glasses. But she just accepted them.

Not seeing dots can be debated, it's more likely that Nasu did not think of the concept of dots when he made Kara no Kyoukai.
The telekinetic powers are not due to the eyes, They are due to the hand Touko gave her.

No telling whether inanimate objects are excluded. I don't think this is the case though. Because she can see magical/sorcerer-esque concepts.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 21:13   Link #323
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Well if she's constantly turned on too like the other Shiki then what was the point of her eyes changing colors?
Old 2008-05-31, 21:29   Link #324
AvianWing
lol whut?

Send a message via MSN to AvianWing
^What orion said.

Like Deathkillz, I was under the impression that Ryougi Shiki can choose when and what to see the lines of. In the fight, Shiki saw the lines and only the lines of the ghosts and nothing else. At first, I thought she could not see the lines of inanimate objects. But having been told that her eyes are more advance than the male Shiki, I came to think that she can manipulate the power with her will.
AvianWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 21:30   Link #325
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Well if she's constantly turned on too like the other Shiki then what was the point of her eyes changing colors?
They look awesome, and that's all that matters. Do not question the mystic eyes!
Old 2008-05-31, 21:57   Link #326
Avisch
Reality Blender

I think the having her eyes change color is just a sign that she's using them (ie. focusing them). It's not just a thing ufotable decided as a detail because in Tsukihime Nanaya Shiki's eyes become light blue when he's doing the same.

Also to OceanBlue
I forgot to mention. Azaka is heavily featured in the 6th chapter, so she will be featured in the 6th movie.

One crazy B****
Avisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-31, 22:07   Link #327
Maids! Maids! Maids!
Tsuruya Cultist

Maids! Maids! Maids! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 07:29   Link #328
FireChick

Quote:
No, definitely not. The type of this series would be action, thriller, mystery.
Oh! Okay! Thanks. I'll try it out for a bit then.
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 07:44   Link #329
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
I think the having her eyes change color is just a sign that she's using them (ie. focusing them). It's not just a thing ufotable decided as a detail because in Tsukihime Nanaya Shiki's eyes become light blue when he's doing the same.
Which is confusing as I don't see the difference if she can see the lines even without her eyes being active.
Or is it that in her normal state she can see the lines but it doesn't make her want to puke like Shiki from Tsukihime whilst when active she can see the more clearly?

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 07:52   Link #330
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisch View Post
I'm not exactly sure of this. I think Tsukihime Shiki's eyes become blue because of...
Spoiler for mild spoiler from tsukihime, far side moon route:

His eye color isn't related to his magan, imho (considering Nanaya in MB and the fact the magan is always "activated", until the Magangoroshi actually has an effect on the color)

Last edited by Klashikari; 2008-06-01 at 08:19. Reason: details
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 10:02   Link #331
Alaya
Counter Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Which is confusing as I don't see the difference if she can see the lines even without her eyes being active.
Or is it that in her normal state she can see the lines but it doesn't make her want to puke like Shiki from Tsukihime whilst when active she can see the more clearly?
The reason why she can see a line without any problems is explain in the last chapter (to be more precise, in the epilogue of the whole story).

But yeah, she always see the line but her eyes change color when she focus on them.

Spoiler for Chapter 4:

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 11:43   Link #332
Shiroi Hane
Gazer of Cosmos

Send a message via ICQ to Shiroi Hane Send a message via AIM to Shiroi Hane Send a message via MSN to Shiroi Hane Send a message via Yahoo to Shiroi Hane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circular Logic View Post
> 7000 yen for the special edition, > 5000 yen for the normal. 50 minutes.

I'd rather drink sodium hydroxide than pay for the DVD. Seriously, what the hell. Do they want people to buy it or not?
The special edition is very special you know. And, as someone else said, this is Japan and the LE has already sold out in some places.
Shiroi Hane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-01, 15:06   Link #333
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

I watched this yesterday, and i must say i am quite impressed. The mood was quite gritty, dark and absorbing; the show was wonderfully atmospheric (even though some might argue a bit slow at points) and the soundtrack counted for a lot as well. The animation quality and the CGs was quite commendable and cinematography was among the best i have seen recently. There was decent amount of thought put in to the psychological subject it touched, and some scenes i thought particularly well done in terms of conveying a character's feelings. (Ice cream anyone?)

On the flip side i suppose it might be a bit hard to get in to the story if one doesn't pay attention, and having been exposed to previous Type-moon works (more so Tsukihime) definitely helps with understanding some of the details.

In short: it was different, but i was quite impressed with it. Eagerly awaiting the second episode. (And dreading what the director change might do to the presentation style).
Old 2008-06-01, 15:17   Link #334
kujoe
from head to heel

The second episode will have a different director? That's news to me. I hope the change won't be a negative thing down the road.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 12:17   Link #335
grunty

Every movie of the first 5 chapters has a different director. We'll see if anyone returns for the last ones...

1. Ei Aoki
2. Takuya Nonaka
3. Mitsuru Obunai
4. Teiichi Takiguchi
5. Takayuki Hirao
6. ??
7. ??

I'm slightly more worried about different art/animation directors for every other movie, but maybe it will work out just fine (I've not read the novels) and thankfully only one person is responsible for the script (thank God). It's ufotable's only current major work so (hopefully) they're putting their all into it... Want the rest, NAO.

Also, it's quite nice to hear the 5th movie (July 26) is supposed to be over 110 minutes long (according to magazines).

Last edited by grunty; 2008-06-02 at 12:32. Reason: one director fix... I think...
grunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 15:21   Link #336
ZODDGUTS

The DVD ranking for Kara no Kyoukai Complete Limited version was number one during May 21–27 week, the standard edition was number 10.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...king-may-21-27

Good to see that it sold very well.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-02, 18:22   Link #337
vorpal83

Reading the novels, I suddenly realized something.
Spoiler for Chapter 3:
vorpal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 04:07   Link #338
Kyuuen

Spoiler for My favourite scenes:

Spoiler for What I didn't expect:

Overall, I like everything other than the pacing, and also didn't explain
Spoiler for what happened to:

Shiki wearing a raincoat looks like a stalker and serial killer. ^^

Last edited by Kyuuen; 2008-06-04 at 04:23.
Kyuuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-04, 07:41   Link #339
KaneDragon
*(RAWR*)&rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuuen View Post
Mikiya, why is he suddenly a vegetarian on a couch just after a few scenes.
He went too close to the building and had his mind captured by the floating girl. Or something.
Old 2008-06-04, 07:47   Link #340
Sterling01
霊夢→デレ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
He went too close to the building and had his mind captured by the floating girl. Or something.
Kirie fell in love with him when he came to visit her in the hospital. So she wanted to "fly" with him

Tags
action, harem, type moon