Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-29, 14:42   Link #321
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tong View Post
Not initially, at some point they implemented this feature for some reason... Agree, that sucks. But you still had Games for Windows Live, which became free and is the one of the only gaming platforms for PC games. There's Steam also, but it's nowhere as great imo.
Wait... I think you've got something wrong there... GFWL is universally reviled by the PC Gaming community. It's an absolute turd that only serves to annoy legitimate owners.

Between GFWL and Origin I'm pretty sure plenty of PC gamers would pick Origin of all things! Heck, I'm divided myself between GFWL and UbiDRM... Not really sure which one is worse at the moment. Yes, UbiDRM was pretty awful before they turned down the online requirements but at least that one offers some value by syncing game saves, GFWL just adds a crappy console-styled overlay.

Steam on the other hand is bloody fantastic. Downloads are fast, syncs save games, gives you a quick way to copy a cd key in-game for those titles that need them (mostly, you guessed it, GFWL games), it has a friends feature that works at long last, allows me to quickly and easily download and play a game I have in my account, makes it easy and cheap to get games... Seriously, Steam is bloody fantastic.

Curiously Sony has been doing pretty good at getting my penny-pinching self to spend money on their virtual storefront. They've had plenty of decent deals that make the small price difference from ordering the game off Amazon worthwhile just for the near instant gratification it offers. They just need to get some better servers so I can max out my connection like I can with Steam. Also: PS+ has got to be the best game rental service I've ever seen. I count over 100 games from my sub and plenty of those I was hoping to get on a sale to try anyway. Best money I've ever spent.
Old 2013-05-29, 19:49   Link #322
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
I don't think M$ would resort to such strategy unless they were really sure that the main competitor would follow suit... I mean, it would obviously ruin the game market!

This is fishy and I have a bad feeling.
That's been my fear since last week. I initially was reveling in the idea that Microsoft would be that dumb, but I do have a bad feeling of either SONY just having not announced it yet or SONY going, "Hey, if those jerks can get away with it, so can we."

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 20:06   Link #323
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
That's been my fear since last week. I initially was reveling in the idea that Microsoft would be that dumb, but I do have a bad feeling of either SONY just having not announced it yet or SONY going, "Hey, if those jerks can get away with it, so can we."
Except they're NOT getting away with it.

The dudebros and other fan boys would still buy it, but majority of 'hardcore' gamers are vocally against MS. Hell, even their stockholders have jumped ship- everyone's ripping them a new hole.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-29, 20:18   Link #324
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Except they're NOT getting away with it.

The dudebros and other fan boys would still buy it, but majority of 'hardcore' gamers are vocally against MS. Hell, even their stockholders have jumped ship- everyone's ripping them a new hole.
According to some people, we're just vocal minority, though. And Sony fanboy.
Old 2013-05-29, 20:22   Link #325
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
According to some people, we're just vocal minority, though. And Sony fanboy.
Yeah, and us vocal "minority" sure worked out pretty well for ME3, DmC and Sim City eh?

If you ask me- if this was only a minority, MS wouldn't be backpedalling and damage controlling like crazy....
Old 2013-05-29, 20:50   Link #326
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Wait... I think you've got something wrong there... GFWL is universally reviled by the PC Gaming community. It's an absolute turd that only serves to annoy legitimate owners.

Between GFWL and Origin I'm pretty sure plenty of PC gamers would pick Origin of all things! Heck, I'm divided myself between GFWL and UbiDRM... Not really sure which one is worse at the moment. Yes, UbiDRM was pretty awful before they turned down the online requirements but at least that one offers some value by syncing game saves, GFWL just adds a crappy console-styled overlay.

Steam on the other hand is bloody fantastic. Downloads are fast, syncs save games, gives you a quick way to copy a cd key in-game for those titles that need them (mostly, you guessed it, GFWL games), it has a friends feature that works at long last, allows me to quickly and easily download and play a game I have in my account, makes it easy and cheap to get games... Seriously, Steam is bloody fantastic.

Curiously Sony has been doing pretty good at getting my penny-pinching self to spend money on their virtual storefront. They've had plenty of decent deals that make the small price difference from ordering the game off Amazon worthwhile just for the near instant gratification it offers. They just need to get some better servers so I can max out my connection like I can with Steam. Also: PS+ has got to be the best game rental service I've ever seen. I count over 100 games from my sub and plenty of those I was hoping to get on a sale to try anyway. Best money I've ever spent.
That's because you're treating GFWL as something like Steam, and not as GFWL. It's an amazing feature for 360 users who also play on PC.
Thanks to GFWL, I can unlock achievements on my XBL Gamertag with PC Games, I can have easy voice communication, I can... basically do everything I do on Xbox but on PC.

As long as you think of it and Steam as separate programs with different functions, you'll be fine
Old 2013-05-30, 13:56   Link #327
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
That's because you're treating GFWL as something like Steam, and not as GFWL. It's an amazing feature for 360 users who also play on PC.
Thanks to GFWL, I can unlock achievements on my XBL Gamertag with PC Games, I can have easy voice communication, I can... basically do everything I do on Xbox but on PC.

As long as you think of it and Steam as separate programs with different functions, you'll be fine
Damn... I was trying to drop this subject since it's off-topic but I have to disagree. GFWL is ultimately DRM as is Steam. It adds a few features (that steam also adds) and a lot of bloat along the way that only serves to piss off legitimate buyers. When you have to jump through hoops because the GFWL installer doesn't work for the latest version of Windows and legitimate buyers have to go around copying dll files by hand you know you have a piece of baloney on your hands. Or when you get stuck with the game telling you it needs to update but always failing to download said update. Or when you find out that a bug in GFWL deleted all your save files.

Yhep, it's a great system...

EDIT: you do know even Microsoft is dropping GFWL from the games they publish right?
Old 2013-05-30, 14:18   Link #328
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Have never had problems with it, but every system is prone to defects (PS3, leap year glitch, hacking issues)

And funnily some steam games, such as Dark Souls, GTA 4, Batman, Fallout 3, SSF4AE, require the instalation of GFWL. But when you get around its issues, it's a nice tool in the end. Imo.
Old 2013-05-30, 14:28   Link #329
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Have never had problems with it, but every system is prone to defects (PS3, leap year glitch, hacking issues)

And funnily some steam games, such as Dark Souls, GTA 4, Batman, Fallout 3, SSF4AE, require the instalation of GFWL. But when you get around its issues, it's a nice tool in the end. Imo.
And people revile the publishers/studios for forcing that second layer of DRM on top of steam. Do you know that the Batman games have a 5 machine activation limit even if you uninstal them? And this is true even when bought through Steam. Also: Warner Bros refuses to deactivate machines after 6 months from purchase I believe. I love the games but those are some draconian measures right there.
Old 2013-05-30, 17:15   Link #330
Destined_Fate

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/30/so...is-for-gamers/

Kaz knows what to say to capitalize on the current winds blowing against the XBox One.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-30, 17:59   Link #331
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/30/so...is-for-gamers/

Kaz knows what to say to capitalize on the current winds blowing against the XBox One.
It's like a no-brainer at this point for Sony
Old 2013-05-31, 08:21   Link #332
videoman190

PS4 Should be a gaming console first and everything else second!
videoman190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-31, 21:39   Link #333
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

XBOX ONE VS. PS4 - THE RESULTS - IGN VERSUS

In every category except for the controller, PS4 had about 75-85% of the votes.
Old 2013-05-31, 21:47   Link #334
Tong
Many RPGs, Little Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
And people revile the publishers/studios for forcing that second layer of DRM on top of steam. Do you know that the Batman games have a 5 machine activation limit even if you uninstal them? And this is true even when bought through Steam. Also: Warner Bros refuses to deactivate machines after 6 months from purchase I believe. I love the games but those are some draconian measures right there.
That's a thing implemented by Warner, and not GFWL

Btw!!!

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=161334
Old 2013-05-31, 23:23   Link #335
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Spoiler for Tangent. I asked someone they told me I cried a little inside.:

Sony is trying to add too many bells and whistles to make people buy their product. By doing that I'd suspect the hardware isn't up to par... Hopefully that controller monstrosity isn't finalized. Because if it is I'll never escape those dildo controller jokes.
Old 2013-05-31, 23:25   Link #336
Destined_Fate

But so far the hardware is on par with the X1 from what we know already and is actually beating it in some areas.

I predict the PS4 will overall be the stronger machine but not as much of a pain to create games for as the PS3 was when it came out.
Old 2013-06-01, 01:56   Link #337
Destined_Fate

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-...One-56264.html

1.) The PlayStation 4 can play games offline without having to be online. This was clarified the day of the PS4's reveal back on February 20th.
2.) Sony will not have any mandatory DRM for used games. You can buy, play, trade used games on the PlayStation 4 just as usual. No additional registration fees, pay-walls or internet registration required.
3.) If you so choose, you can play games from disc, download them from the digital store or remote load them. Sony doesn't mandate any method over the other for multi-format titles.
4.) Just for extra clarification the PlayStation 4 does not and will not require a constant always-on internet connection.
Old 2013-06-01, 02:03   Link #338
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I have a feeling there would still be people going "Honto ni honto~~?" at Sony up until E3

But as for me- this is a good enough assurance... Probably.
Old 2013-06-01, 02:07   Link #339
defki

Quote:
Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that.
This is the tricky part. And the big problem.

It will be like the PS3 where everything is up to the publisher to decide. But the difference now is that there is a bigger chance that the publishers will implement DRM. EA and MS will spearhead this whole thing and more will follow.

That's why Sony has to come out and say no this garbage has no place on our console.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-01, 02:15   Link #340
Destined_Fate

Pubs that aren't big names wont dare do that and even big names like EA would pause when considering it as it will give THEM bad press, not Sony.