AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2019-09-15, 14:22   Link #321
alt_account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
^I guess it depends on what is the point the story wants to highlight. Is this the story of how a doll gains a sense of "humanity" or is the story of how a lonely girl who became dependant on an "imaginary friend" due to her fucked up childhood finally overcomes her issues and moves on with her life?

Both of these points have a place in the story, but which one takes priority? I don't know right now, so I'm just gonna wait until I can figure that out before casting judgement.

And of course, there's a also the fact that Shingetsu hasn't really made a firm decision yet. Mangetsu might have decided giving up her life for Shingetsu's wish is the right thing to do, but the final decision is up to Shingetsu and is still up in the air. This show is 13 episodes, so there's still plenty of time for Shingetsu to get her say on the matter.
Shingetsu's opposition to magic is ideological -- it allows "things that should not exist" to exist, it allows people to indulge their "weakness " instead of facing up to it. There may also be a reactive emotional component arising from the harm magic has directly caused Shingetsu and the people around her, but the primary component appears to be Shingetsu's desire to punish herself for her weakness, with some degree of self-loathing sprinkled in ("I have nothing besides magic").

As mentioned, I don't really object to the validity of Shingetsu's ideological argument except now that the well-being of an actual person (Mangetsu) is involved. Furthermore, what's problematic here is not even that ideology is being emphasized over an individual (because they may be times when that's valid), but rather that Mangetsu is/was not even being recognized as an individual.

^ As you noted, neither the story nor Shingetsu's decision have been concluded yet so my comments don't stand as a final judgement of either. My main point is a criticism of Shingetsu's handling of Mangetsu's situation up to now and also to indicate the stakes: due to Shingetsu's denial of Mangetsu's will in this episode (and also her neglect as of the previous episode), Mangetsu has responded to Shingetsu's rejection by choosing to express her will in an act of sacrifice instead. Shingetsu must correct this IMHO or else she is a failure as a person/character (depends where you place the emphasis).

I don't believe there's any positive spin the story could place on Shingetsu's failure to save Mangetsu, if it happens. However it turns out for everybody else, any end where Mangetsu dies is unquestionably a bad end for Shingetsu.
alt_account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 14:28   Link #322
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_account View Post
I don't believe there's any positive spin the story could place on Shingetsu's failure to save Mangetsu, if it happens. However it turns out for everybody else, any end where Mangetsu dies is unquestionably a bad end for Shingetsu.
Well, that's where we disagree. I think the story makes a convincing job at suggesting that despite having a will of he own, Mangetsu is ultimately part of Shingetsu's heart. So, if Mangetsu has to go for Shingetsu to move on with her life, I will accept it. I do want Shingetsu to take the decision herself though. Having Mangetsu take the decision for her seems like an easy way out. That I don't like, so I hope it will be rectified in the next two episodes.
Old 2019-09-15, 15:33   Link #323
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_account View Post
Shingetsu's opposition to magic is ideological -- it allows "things that should not exist" to exist, it allows people to indulge their "weakness " instead of facing up to it. There may also be a reactive emotional component arising from the harm magic has directly caused Shingetsu and the people around her, but the primary component appears to be Shingetsu's desire to punish herself for her weakness, with some degree of self-loathing sprinkled in ("I have nothing besides magic").
Rather than punishing herself for her weakness, I think it's more accurate to say Shingetsu wants to erase magic because she refuses to accept that someone like her could be so favored by it. You could say she's trying to erase what she thinks is unearned privilege.

Quote:
So, if Mangetsu has to go for Shingetsu to move on with her life, I will accept it.
Thing is, that shouldn't have to equal Mangetsu having to cease existing.

Quote:
I do want Shingetsu to take the decision herself though. Having Mangetsu take the decision for her seems like an easy way out. That I don't like, so I hope it will be rectified in the next two episodes.
Agreed. I really want to see what Shingetsu will decide based on what she really wants to do.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 15:36   Link #324
Nivek von Beldo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Rather than punishing herself for her weakness, I think it's more accurate to say Shingetsu wants to erase magic because she refuses to accept that someone like her could be so favored by it. You could say she's trying to erase what she thinks is unearned privilege.
I wonder how real in japan is the tall poppy syndrome, is not like she magically become a super mage(that was ironically Mangestu), Ernesta did trained, studied to get her power and talent, not much different of any athlete or academic...
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 15:37   Link #325
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
I wonder how real in japan is the tall poppy syndrome, is not like she magically become a super mage(that was ironically Mangestu), Ernesta did trained, studied to get her power and talent, not much different of any athlete or academic...
She herself says that she didn't work for her power.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-15, 16:10   Link #326
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek von Beldo View Post
is not like she magically become a super mage(that was ironically Mangestu)
I don't think so. I think she's unconscionably restraining herself because she hates magic.

Magic loves her so she probably would be absurdly powerful if she stopped running away from it and accepted it instead.
Old 2019-09-18, 08:24   Link #327
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Spoiler for Mangetsu:
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-20, 15:27   Link #328
Nivek von Beldo

Amazing chapter, nice the trick Mangetsu and Shingetsu played it....A shame seems will take more time i thought this would end this week too
Nivek von Beldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-20, 18:49   Link #329
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So Suishou isn't a doll but more of a homunculus, I guess? And she's actually been obeying Magiaconatus' orders all this time, though she's getting really tired of winning over and over again and never getting rewarded. Anyway, she's ridiculously powerful. Even Mangetsu couldn't even hurt her. I have no clue how Shingetsu will beat her. Power of friendship, probably.
Old 2019-09-21, 01:26   Link #330
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I have no clue how Shingetsu will beat her.
This might be a clue. Look how her crystal changed in color and size.

Old 2019-09-21, 08:54   Link #331
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 12:

enjoyed the episode a lot. can't wait for next week!!

so the laser that Mangetsu used on episode one to one-shot Rosa is not enough to defeat Suishou. Well, the final boss is a tough one. It's just Ernesta now on 1 vs 1 against Suishou. I still hope for a happy ending. ><
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-21, 09:10   Link #332
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

what a waste, was hoping there was more to this crazy bitch but nope just one dimensional
Old 2019-09-21, 09:52   Link #333
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
This might be a clue. Look how her crystal changed in color and size.
What's your take on that? Power of friendship or a Nenene type situation where her mindset changes?
Old 2019-09-21, 11:04   Link #334
MCAL

https://twitter.com/granbelm/status/1175098545810149376

The last episode is going to air on Thursday.
MCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-21, 14:42   Link #335
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
What's your take on that? Power of friendship or a Nenene type situation where her mindset changes?
The crystal won't change size out of a simple change in mindset. Something else is going on there.

In any case, Anna's mother mentioned in episode 6 that a bigger crystal draws more magical power but it's harder to control. This shouldn't be a problem for Shingetsu though, being the most talented mage candidate there is. Besides, her original crystal was smaller than normal and a handicap. That was also mentioned in episode 6. The new one actually looks of normal size, but that should be enough to let Shingetsu uses the full extent of her powers.

I keep being surprised of how well foreshadowed everything is in this show.
Old 2019-09-21, 15:28   Link #336
4th Dimension

I'll say that unlike a lot of previous fights this fight was a LOT better storyboarded so I wasn't confused what the heck is going on like in a lot of previous ones.

EDIT: Also I'm going to assume if the crystal is indeed bigger it probably has something to do with Shingetsu being "gone". They might be going with her now being back inside it or inside Mangetsu. The preview did show an etheral hand resting presumably on Mangetsu's hand.

Join Midchilda Discord server - a Nanoha community server
4th Dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 20:10   Link #337
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for final thoughts:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 20:19   Link #338
Kazu-kun

What do you know, I ended up loving this show. I didn't like it one bit at the beginning. I thought Mangetsu was gonna steamroll everyone with her OP powers and so on. I was so wrong. lol

The show managed to surprise me when they revealed Shingetsu was the actual chosen one. And I'm glad she stuck to her guns till the very end. Yeah, erase the magic, Shingetsu. Most shows dealing with magic are pro-magic. It's very rare to find one willing to truly say "no" to magic.

So yeah, 9/10 I think.
Old 2019-09-26, 21:14   Link #339
Magewolf

Quote:
What do you know, I ended up loving this show. I didn't like it one bit at the beginning. I thought Mangetsu was gonna steamroll everyone with her OP powers and so on. I was so wrong. lol

The show managed to surprise me when they revealed Shingetsu was the actual chosen one. And I'm glad she stuck to her guns till the very end. Yeah, erase the magic, Shingetsu. Most shows dealing with magic are pro-magic. It's very rare to find one willing to truly say "no" to magic.

So yeah, 9/10 I think.
Yes, the destruction of something wondrous and perilous should be cheered on more often. Actually almost every show that has a choice between magic and the "real" world chooses the "real" world.

This show ended up being less than the sum of it's parts. 6/10 for me mostly because I have a soft spot for the mecha designs and I liked some of the characters. The story was a mess that pretty much imploded at the end.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-09-26, 21:26   Link #340
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

8/10 This was really good a lot of good development magic and mecha working so well together with really no holding back on the fighting

Tags
female lead, holygrail, magical girl, mecha