DuelGundam2099
Disabled By Request

Thank you for the info, Skye.
DuelGundam2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-30, 04:55   Link #34022
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Ive been trying to build my ReZEL Commander. I'm finding it an annoying experience.

It's not that it's a bad kit or anything, but it's got a fuckton of small parts and more small plates than any other kit. Like the Stark Jegan had maybe 3 main plates and 2 small plates; this has something like 8 plates. I can feel my hair getting all messy and my mind going serabut trying to sort through the plates to find the next piece.

I'm at this point feeling quite tempted to just pack it up and put it away and build something I would enjoy building more. Thinking of picking up another Jesta and Jesta Cannon, so that I can have a full 4-man team. And of course, another Stark Jegan in February.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-30, 05:15   Link #34023
Tormenk

You can try cutting out all the parts and catalog them accordingly before building. Ie. left arm, right arm head and torso. Helps reduce the back and forth plate sifting and you get a better measure of progress. I use small ziploc baggies to store them for easy identification and storage right back into the model kit's box.

P.S. how come there's a message when I mouse over your avatar Goose? Hidden forum function?

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Tormenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-30, 07:16   Link #34024
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

I've recently built the HGUC TR-5 Hrairoo... For an 8-year-old kit, it's one of the more complicated of HGUCs I've assembled so far, even more complicated than the recent HGUCs. It doesn't even have a standard waist joint. The waist portion is basically two separate parts attached to the torso via two separate points, you could probably think it's flimsy but it's surprisingly solid even with such complexity.
Old 2014-12-30, 20:09   Link #34025
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post
You can try cutting out all the parts and catalog them accordingly before building. Ie. left arm, right arm head and torso. Helps reduce the back and forth plate sifting and you get a better measure of progress. I use small ziploc baggies to store them for easy identification and storage right back into the model kit's box.

P.S. how come there's a message when I mouse over your avatar Goose? Hidden forum function?
This is what I do

Vary effective method
Skye629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-30, 20:36   Link #34026
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormenk View Post

Yeah that would just make it worse, because instead of 8 gates with clearly marked parts, I now have 8 baggies of oh my god what part is this what am I looking for GOD DAMN ALL OF THIS. >_< ARGH. At least with the Stark Jegan, hell even the Unicorn Full Armor, I didn't have so much plate shifting.

Maybe I need a haircut. Long hair makes me antsy.

As for the message, that's something you can set in your profile details - a description of your avatar.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2014-12-30, 23:11   Link #34027
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

So... bought this one on a whim today.

Spoiler for late x-mass selfgift:

So far I love it, but the waist connection is a little loose.
Strigon 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-31, 06:15   Link #34028
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Yeah that would just make it worse, because instead of 8 gates with clearly marked parts, I now have 8 baggies of oh my god what part is this what am I looking for GOD DAMN ALL OF THIS. >_< ARGH. At least with the Stark Jegan, hell even the Unicorn Full Armor, I didn't have so much plate shifting.

Maybe I need a haircut. Long hair makes me antsy.

As for the message, that's something you can set in your profile details - a description of your avatar.
Dont use bags, imo it just jumbles up everything more

What I do is go to a store and look for those clear tool/appliance boxes with various compartments (preferably those where you can mess with the sizes/number of compartments and use those. (Make sure it has good lid!!!)

Its neat, clear, and much easier to find pieces.

I also use another similar box, but it was meant for trading cards, its perfect for storing a disassembled HG minus extremely large ones or extremely large pieces

Also, this method is meant for STORING, unless you have enough compartments to allocate a single limb/part, you are going to be storing parts together, though usually of the same nature (eg. head and torso in one, backpack in another, arms in one, legs and feet in another and so on)

From here you then take out pieces for a sub part you are going to build (eg thigh), take out those parts, build it, put it back into the compartment, then take out parts for the lower legs etc.
Old 2015-01-01, 20:47   Link #34029
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Well, I've decided to shelve my ReZEL until April. My parents will be going away, and I'll have the whole house to myself, so nobody will complain if I take over the dining table and pretty much occupy it for a whole day with various small parts and spend the whole day building.

I started on the GM Sniper K9 last night. Work is going smoothly, given that it's basically a modified GM Sniper, and I've had practice on that particular kit, as well as the Jesta and Jesta Cannon.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2015-01-04, 22:26   Link #34030
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I have also accidentally found that q-tips actually seem to work pretty good for painting. I accidentally spilled a lot of yellow marker in so I used a q-tip to suck it up, and then tried rubbing it on the parts that needed to be yellow. Actually went quite well.

I believe in miracles.

Old 2015-01-05, 14:25   Link #34031
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Last night I continued the assembly of the Gundam MK-II RG, already finished the innerframe and the legs. Paneling a real grade is quite a pain in the ***.
Old 2015-01-05, 21:40   Link #34032
Skye629

Old 2015-01-07, 07:13   Link #34033
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
@Skye629

While the boxart look great, I'm disappointed that Bandai is being lazy for not making articulated/poseable hands on the Mk-III.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-07, 07:47   Link #34034
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
While the boxart look great, I'm disappointed that Bandai is being lazy for not making articulated/poseable hands on the Mk-III.
I don't mind non-articulated hands as long as it looks good and can hold the weapons just fine (This is not MG after all). I'm more concerned with the overall body & head and balance which I think Bandai did a good job so far with Mk.III.
Old 2015-01-07, 07:50   Link #34035
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
@Skye629

Well this line is a more detailed version of a blown up current standard HG with more parts accomodating the upscaled size. IMO the only reason the Nightingale got it was due to the hype for a Nightingale kit, its flagship status for the line, and the hands already existing from the recent Sazabi MG

I personally prefer the stability of fixed pose hands, just my cup of tea (not saying all articulate hands are not stable, i just like the simplicity and other benefits of a fixed pose, such as multiple hands I can swap between kits)

On the bright side there are good 1st and 3rd party articulate hands, such as the ones made by Bandai and Kotobukiya : )
Old 2015-01-07, 22:54   Link #34036
Strigon 13
Electrosphere

Finished at last the MK-II.

Spoiler for MK-II:

A little frustrating 'cause of some small parts that went flying everywhere during the assembly process, but aside, it was a really fun build. Next is to put the stickers and finish the weapons... And to get an action base.
Old 2015-01-08, 01:57   Link #34037
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
um, is there like Builder's Parts HD made specially for MG kits out there?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-08, 03:56   Link #34038
Skye629

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAGUN H.E.X. View Post
um, is there like Builder's Parts HD made specially for MG kits out there?
Well not specifically MG as far as I can tell, but they do have 1/100 parts, from my understanding they can be used for MG's too for modding

I believe some/most? sets come with varying sizes for whatever is in that set, while some sets a marketed primarily for a certain scale (eg the articulate hands)

I would check HLJ for different products, and Youtube to see the products live in use/unboxed/built
Old 2015-01-09, 07:54   Link #34039
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Not exactly models in a kit sense but....

Gotta say, I'm quite thankful for the RD series having mobile suits like the Geminass whose model kits did not receive remastering treatments of any kind.
Old 2015-01-09, 09:58   Link #34040
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by StratoSpear View Post
Gotta say, I'm quite thankful for the RD series having mobile suits like the Geminass whose model kits did not receive remastering treatments of any kind.
- please stop reminding me to get back on my attempt of HG-fying my Geminass and Hydra Gundam kits. The Geminass is just waiting for me to convert using an HG Gundam AGE-1 as an inner body, that'll be good.

The Hydra...not so much.
wavehawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gundam, gunpla, model kit, toy