AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-01, 12:51   Link #3481
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
It wasn't her bitchiness which really bothered me. What bothered me was that Yamato just took the abuse and only asked for more, even though he had other, better options who simply cared for him more.

In particular it annoyed me that her callous betrayal (going overseas without saying a word) was simply forgiven without even a trace of an apology. Let characters be bitchy all they want, as long as they have to pay for it, too. Don't blow sugar up their (censored) like the spoiled brat that Suzuka was.
Yeah.. he really did have better choices. But chock that up to him being stupid, falling in love, or the title of manga, either of the three work. lol.

How did she betray him? If he didn't pull a "Yamato" the time she spent doing track overseas would have benefited her a lot in the future. I haven't gotten up to that part in my re-read yet, so I may pick something else up, but that's how I looked at it. Could she have handled the situation better? Yes. Should she had pass up an opportunity like that for someone like him? No.
Old 2009-10-01, 18:40   Link #3482
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
How did she betray him? If he didn't pull a "Yamato" the time she spent doing track overseas would have benefited her a lot in the future. I haven't gotten up to that part in my re-read yet, so I may pick something else up, but that's how I looked at it. Could she have handled the situation better? Yes. Should she had pass up an opportunity like that for someone like him? No.
They were in a relationship, and she made preparations to leave to the US without telling him. Actually even worse, she actively hid these preparations from Yamato and avoided him when he got wind that something was amiss and wanted to talk. Then, from one day to the other, she moved out and was gone. This constitutes betrayal in my book, and a particularly cowardly betrayal to boot.
Old 2009-10-01, 18:41   Link #3483
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, that's just being a woman in my books, really. In the end, what matters most is that she was willing to bear his child, sit down with him and raise the girl together. Could have easily went to the doctor and left home to avoid her parents.

Last edited by yezhanquan; 2009-10-01 at 19:01.
Old 2009-10-01, 20:55   Link #3484
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
They were in a relationship, and she made preparations to leave to the US without telling him. Actually even worse, she actively hid these preparations from Yamato and avoided him when he got wind that something was amiss and wanted to talk. Then, from one day to the other, she moved out and was gone. This constitutes betrayal in my book, and a particularly cowardly betrayal to boot.
You also have to take into consideration what kind of guy Yamato is. She knew he'd flip out about it and do everything he could to stop her. And even though they broke up, she was never with another guy while she was away, so yeah. Betrayal to me, is something a lot worse than that. I mean, they are kids simply dating in high school, its not like they were married and she was cheating on him and later left him - thats betrayal.
Old 2009-10-22, 19:06   Link #3485
JJW

Ending

It seems that the overall vibe is that the ending was unsatisfactory but look at it objectively. Firstly, everyone knows that Suzuka is the only one for Yamoto (duh, her name is the title). More importantly, however, the ending is great for a number of reasons. It isn't unrealisticly ideal and perfect with both of them going on to glowing athletic careers. It's a story about reallity. Everyone is annoyed with the pregnancy part but it fits perfectly with the major theme of the manga, responsibility vs. irresponsibility. If you think about it this way the author was truly masterful. Yamoto spent his whole life doing things half-assed until he met Suzuka and when it finally came down to it, he and Suzuka took responsibility for their own actions which is admirable since it is far more than 1 million couples in America do every year. And everyone is getting angry about "Suzuka's potential" but wasn't this driving expectation from everyone a major cause of most of her pain in the manga? She was harrassed by the expectations of her parents, teachers, and trackmates since forever. Yamoto was really the first choice she made for herself for her own happiness and not the happiness or expectations of others. She made the choice she wanted and wasn't "forced" into anything except by her moral responsibility and (most importantly) her blossoming love for Yamato. As soon as they "made the plunge" (back in #147?) this was really the best way for it to end from the standpoint of the themes of "responsibility" and binding love. And by the way I think all the other girl issues were Yamoto's attempts to distract himself from the truth that he could never stop loving Suzuka.

Great story. I nearly cried and I'm an 18 year old guy. How embarassing.
Old 2009-10-22, 19:40   Link #3486
Johnny
Working the bags...

The ending could have been worse. What % of manga give you a decent closure? Most I've read give a crappy open ending that's left to your imagination of what happened afterwards. Here we get the ending couple married and with a kid. Whether who he ended up with I think it's a decent ending...
Old 2009-10-22, 20:07   Link #3487
golthin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
The ending could have been worse. What % of manga give you a decent closure? Most I've read give a crappy open ending that's left to your imagination of what happened afterwards. Here we get the ending couple married and with a kid. Whether who he ended up with I think it's a decent ending...
My perfect ending is showing them 40 years later with grandchildren and still together.
Old 2009-10-22, 20:53   Link #3488
Johnny
Working the bags...

Well we did get them what 2 or 3 omakes. Shows their still together and she hasn't changed abit...
Old 2009-10-22, 21:02   Link #3489
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

What I want is a sequel, with Fuka in high school.
Old 2009-10-22, 22:13   Link #3490
justavisitor

Fuka meets the son from Haruto in High school will be epic...as for the question "Who is Haruto??"...please come to the forum of "A town where you live" and you will find out what I am talking about
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2009-10-22, 22:15   Link #3491
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

A crossover between the two: sounds cool.
Old 2009-10-22, 22:31   Link #3492
Johnny
Working the bags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
What I want is a sequel, with Fuka in high school.
Take your pick...
Spoiler:
Old 2009-10-22, 22:54   Link #3493
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Well, Fuka can be her mom's splitting image, and her younger sister will be the long haired one. Knowing Yamato, he won't rest with only one kid.
Old 2009-10-23, 03:27   Link #3494
gaffer7

Quote:
Originally Posted by yezhanquan View Post
A crossover between the two: sounds cool.
I'm seriously wondering whether the mangaka will do just that as a gag, he's already put in a few references to Suzuka characters in Kimi no Iru Machi, so you never know...
Old 2009-10-23, 08:36   Link #3495
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

No sequel! Only some 4komas like he did are acceptable.

As for crossover.. I will accept an indirect one, like a character living a floor above where Yamato is, but no major interactions occur. If you read Kimi no Iru Machi (which you should be if you're not) you'll know that Yamato can be a bad influence.
Old 2009-12-08, 22:22   Link #3496
hollowification

Send a message via MSN to hollowification
chapter information i want to know when suzuka find out she pregrant?
Old 2009-12-09, 05:58   Link #3497
Kikuchi

Chapter 155

(Shouldn't you mark this as a spoiler though ? Unless it's okay because the publication has ended...)
Old 2009-12-09, 08:12   Link #3498
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

I think that should be in spoiler tags even if it ended. Some people who haven't gotten up to that point come here and that is a big spoiler.
Old 2011-04-14, 04:36   Link #3499
User68604
Disabled By Request

just started reading the manga,

i was very disappointed with how the anime went (honoka fan here), but people directed me to the manga which progresses further.

so far, a few volumes in and i like it
Old 2011-04-14, 04:49   Link #3500
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Suzuka is definitely Seo's strongest work. It has some ridiculously stupid moments and dumb decisions that make you scratch your head, but a lot of good points to make up for it, unlike KNIM (his follow-up work to Suzuka), which is just one big train wreck of idiocy.