AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Toradora!

Notices

View Poll Results: Toradora! - Episode 24 Rating
Perfect 10 93 42.86%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 23.04%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 22 10.14%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 7.83%
6 out of 10 : Average 7 3.23%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.92%
4 out of 10 : Poor 5 2.30%
3 out of 10 : Bad 5 2.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 4 1.84%
1 out of 10 : Painful 12 5.53%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-03-20, 14:07   Link #341
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

I laugh when Minorin fell and get a nosebleed XD
Old 2009-03-20, 14:14   Link #342
Deathscyther

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
i don't see people running off and getting married much.. don't know where you're from though..
Ryuuji and Taiga don't want to be seperated, so they chose to do the first thing that came to their mind in order to stay together....marriage.

It was a stupid/illogical idea and even Ryuuji and Taiga seemed to believe so. But they were desperate to stay together after finally learning about each others feelings, so they threw logic out of the window (something teens do pretty often in real life)

I think the author tried to portray it this way: kids/teens tend to make these kind of mistakes in life. They run away from their problems instead of facing them. In order to become a true adult, they have to learn from their mistakes and grow up.

You could see through his thoughts right before they left, that Ryuuji realised this as well. Ryuuji and Taiga are still kids and have to grow up in order to move on. So he decided to stop running and face his problems in the end (hence why they went to visit his grandparents in the end).
Old 2009-03-20, 14:20   Link #343
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

And of course now that I've seen the episode myself my impressions have changed.

See, I really enjoyed this episode, because things HAPPENED. We actually went somewhere.

This never happens in anime.

So it gets a 9/10 even if it feels rushed or forced, because I personally enjoyed it a lot.

Besides, we still have 1 more episode to wrap this up, and if I remember correctly we have an entire episode for pretty much a chapter and a half of material, which is more than enough to end things fairly well.

I will mention, however, an irony that bothers me a fair bit.

Why is it that we can have onscreen kissing in shonen crap like Regios, but not in an actual romance anime?
Old 2009-03-20, 14:21   Link #344
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Comprehension seems to be a rare skill nowadays.

Anyway, I would also like to bring forward my own comprehension problem for this episode. I promise, though, that it's something new and has not been repeatedly discussed in every page of this thread by different sets of users.

At the beginning of this episode at the infirmary, when Ryuuji said he thought Minori was crying but it turned out she got a nosebleed, she remarked, "Well I guess this is sort of a reward." To explain, Minori then talked about pursuing her dreams and at the end "...because I was obsessive about it [the softball dream?], I decided to not cry anymore. Even if it's hard and painful, I've decided I'll try my best. But.. If someone sees me through hardship and pain and cry I guess it's a reward."

The sentence structure is rather awkward so I'm not sure what Minori meant. She wasn't speaking here in her weird manner was she? Did she mean it would be a reward for her if there was someone to witness her cry from the hardship and pain of pursuing her dreams?

I'd like to clear that out because at the end of the episode, she did cry and chose Ami to be the sole witness.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:23   Link #345
typhonsentra

Because they think it'll be more dramatic if they save the final kiss/direct confession to one another for the climax. It's silly but that's what they did.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:24   Link #346
Malachi

I think one fo the great things this anime did was the how it faded out the romances.

We get a setup where 2 people have someone they like and they decide to help each other. Then they have the guts to actually show Kitamura to have someone else he's in love with. Therefor making a stand that the TaigaXKitamura is not to be and with Taiga allready having showed signs of liking Ryuji that rejection isn't a dead end of the series.
If they would have gone with a more traditional anime aproach of having all possibilities open to the end it would have cheapened the plot. Now we can close of that part of the series and focus more on the 3 other persons. Making the series more coherent and sharp.

And then they play with nuances and feelings and fools people who aren't paying attention. Ryuji still keeps going after Minorin but he slowly starts to lose energy and conviction. His heart isn't into it anymore and Taiga becomes the one who keeps moving it forward.

Which then actually makes it belivable that yes He loved Minorin when the series started but over time that faded and he found himslef getting closer and closer to Taiga to the point where they don't want to be apart.

It sounds pretty standard when written like this but to actually pull it off you need to pay attention to the details and moods in the series. And I have seen this being made before and often the feeling of "rushed" or "out of nowhere" rears it ugly head. Not here. I can buy that what Ryuji felt for Minorin was a crush but what he and Taiga has is love.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:27   Link #347
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Looking for the kiss you expected? The kiss between the loli tsundere and the dense guy?

<--- Here.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:27   Link #348
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhonsentra View Post
Because they think it'll be more dramatic if they save the final kiss/direct confession to one another for the climax. It's silly but that's what they did.
Not just that, Clannad cut out ALL the kisses and the sexual-content-related jokes too, many of which were really good.

Dammit.

Hope they kiss at least once. Could I just have that, please?
Old 2009-03-20, 14:46   Link #349
Janifuu
緩和

I SERIOUSLY cannot understand the way some of you think. If you've been thinking that up until now that any interaction between Ryuuji and Taiga has been derived solely from friendship then you have NOT been paying ANY attention to ANYTHING throughout the series, whether you have or haven't been following the Novel's. They love eachother and they have all along. The sudden impulse for Ryuuji to propose to Taiga makes absolute and complete sense, given:

1.) They have had chemistry build up ever since the VERY beginning. Poor analogy but think of it this way - blowing too much air into a balloon will eventually make it pop, right? Their continuous denial of having feelings for eachother throughout the series resulted in an overload of emotions to the point where they cannot, and do not want to hold it in anymore. And when you reach the point of overload, though it may seem like a sudden spill, everything thats been cumulatively building gets brought out at once. Even it if wasn't as obvious to you before, that DOES NOT mean that the feelings were never there.

2.) They are young. Impulsive actions are what young people do, and its especially what young people in LOVE do. I think some of you need to learn to distinguish the difference between the words "I LIKE you" and "I LOVE you." Once you do, it will all make sense.

3.) Ryuuji and Taiga obviously must feel to be in a position where their relationship is dealing with the threat of being torn apart by anyone who opposes it, thus resulting in them wanting to elope. That or they simply want alone time, and with the recent events thats occurred, it will be less likely to happen in anyplace where they would most USUALLY be. Hence they journey to the grandparents house, an unlikely place for any interference.

I can give more but hopefully thats enough. And shit I agree with Kaisos Erranon, I'm getting to the point where if I begin to feel ANY resentment towards this series, it would be thanks to the fanbase. I'm sorry to say, but I personally don't think this series is meant to be heavily discussed between a youngster and a more mature audience, for given reasons. If you aren't on the same page as someone else in life, haven't gone through a fair share of your own experiences, or you simply aren't open minded to certain things, its hard to come to any mutual agreement or understanding.

Last edited by Janifuu; 2009-03-20 at 20:30.
Old 2009-03-20, 14:51   Link #350
TODAY-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Not just that, Clannad cut out ALL the kisses and the sexual-content-related jokes too, many of which were really good.

Dammit.

Hope they kiss at least once. Could I just have that, please?
Maybe Japanese have seen too many kisses in their daily life and get bored to see another one more in anime

Not a funny joke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janifuu View Post
2.) They are young. Impulsive actions are what young people do, and its especially what young people in LOVE do. I think some of you need to learn to distinguish the difference between the words "I LIKE you" and "I LOVE you." Once you do, it will all make sense.
You got it. After all they are teens even younger than 18.

Last edited by TODAY-G; 2009-03-20 at 14:56. Reason: I cannot double post anymore...
Old 2009-03-20, 14:54   Link #351
Raiga
tl;dr

Well, now that I've seen the subs, it's even clearer they're not in any way saying Ryuuji and Taiga running away was the right thing to do. Aside from all their friends opposing it you can see Ryuuji himself is reconsidering when he comes home to find out that Yasuko ran away as well... and starts to realize that running doesn't solve anything.

Which come to think of it has kind of been the whole point for... a while now. What with the recurring theme of characters running or hiding from their true feelings.

Ah, once again, there's just that much more impact in the details of the dialog. I liked Minorin's line about falling down.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:00   Link #352
TODAY-G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
Well, now that I've seen the subs, it's even clearer they're not in any way saying Ryuuji and Taiga running away was the right thing to do. Aside from all their friends opposing it you can see Ryuuji himself is reconsidering when he comes home to find out that Yasuko ran away as well... and starts to realize that running doesn't solve anything.

Which come to think of it has kind of been the whole point for... a while now. What with the recurring theme of characters running or hiding from their true feelings.

Ah, once again, there's just that much more impact in the details of the dialog. I liked Minorin's line about falling down.
I don't think they are running away. That's why their destination is grandparents' house.The only one who escaped is Yasuko. She has to face her grown-up son. And if you read the 10th book, you'll see.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:12   Link #353
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODAY-G View Post
I don't think they are running away. That's why their destination is grandparents' house.The only one who escaped is Yasuko. She has to face her grown-up son. And if you read the 10th book, you'll see.
They WERE going to run away, but realized that running away won't solve a thing, and went to his grandparents house.

もいちど。。。
Old 2009-03-20, 15:25   Link #354
Taiga san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
I can buy that what Ryuji felt for Minorin was a crush but what he and Taiga has is love.
Yeah, after watching 1-24 eps (but I knew earlier). I suppose that Ryuji just was a crush on Minori. Midori and Ryuji have never been closed to each other as Taiga, it was kinda poppy love for me, it wasn't the real love that's hard to ease, it reminded me about True Tear but different situation, sorta the same.

I really like this ep 10, people say it is a rush ep and some don't get into it, so it depends on people's experience of life. It isn't good idea to make "a marriage" but I can accept it because I have seen in my life that my niece (17) just married and ran to her bf's house then live with him happily (?), some people are doing something that's bizarre, moreover this is anime and fiction.

To Minori, I really understand her, she is such a good friend to have one, she knows that Ryuji was a crush on her but also realizes that Taiga like him and Ryuji has feeling backward to Taiga. This is a cliche anime, it's not harem or twisted plot love anime, the title is told for the ending, as my expectation. For the war of love, there are one achieved and others lost, same as our real life. Ami is just a supporter character with acting interest in the series, likewise Kitamura..

I'm looking forward to seeing next ep (last one ?)
Old 2009-03-20, 15:41   Link #355
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I mean seriously... considering most of my 'corrections' to the really crappy CGS subs were almost spot on despite having little knowledge of moonspeak, I'd say everything in the anime was laid out before hand and this was just the natural conclusion it comes to. I had nothing else to base my assumptions apart from what has transpired before, after all.

If anything, Toradora is extremely predictable, or cliched even. Rushed? Maybe, but no one can seriously argue that anything in this anime came out of nowhere.

Quote:
Like I said, I wrote it off just because I enjoyed the episode way too much otherwise. But I'm serious about having to write it off as "stupid things teens do". I'm one of those very logic oriented people and I just can't follow their thought processes.
Put it simply, ToraDora are currently in a state of romantic ephoria, they get thier logic skewed by their emotions. For taiga, it means she really becomes a part of a real family, and considering the abandonment by her papa and her outcast status from her mom's house, she's quite desperate to be part of one. As for Ryuuji, he doesn't want to be a child anymore, and therefore thinks that getting married means 'graduating' to being an adult.

Of course, both are all the wrong reasons for eloping and getting married. It might not the be the most 'right and logical' thing to do, but it's well within reason and understanding considering the state they are in. Eloping isn't an idea Ryuuji or Taiga came up out of blue, or that they just randomly decided to do just for the hell of it. No, it's something they thought was the best course of action to take, all influenced of course by their circumstances and the chemical baths their brains are currently suffering from their romantic relationship that was recently put in the open.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:43   Link #356
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Toradora is a good anime. But it's nothing more, and this episode confirmed it for me.
Old 2009-03-20, 15:58   Link #357
typhonsentra

Whatever...
Old 2009-03-20, 16:08   Link #358
Janifuu
緩和

How many more times must you repeat the same thing phyics >_>
Old 2009-03-20, 16:16   Link #359
FatalMemory

Calling something copied and pasted straight from the novels "rushed" is hilarious.
I love the justifications (or plain blind criticism?) that some people come up with.

Anyway, for me the story went downhill after Taiga's dad showed up and this episode is definitely no exception.
Old 2009-03-20, 16:21   Link #360
Deathscyther

Well, thank god not everyone has the same opinion about everything. The world would have been a boring place if that were the case...