AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2016-02-14, 15:30   Link #3601
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Damn, that was brutal. But well done. Bravo. Now let's see if they have the guts to keep the dead dead.

Can I ask that when people speak of Ruby having or not having the powers of one of the Four Maidens (she doesn't), that they capitalize the word "maiden"? Going on about how "Ruby is not a maiden!" carries some rather...unfortunate connotations...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSTraderDG86 View Post
Ozpin being a complete moron and having NOBODY stand guard during the process. No, Jaune doesn't count. Heck, Qrow or Ironwood could have come along and probably kept Cinder at bay considering she only had partial maiden powers before Amber got shot through the heart (and Cinder's to blame ).
None of them were around. He was lucky to have Jaune. Don't you realize that one of the primary goals of this invasion was to separate and isolate the most dangerous fighters and pick them off one by one? It apparently worked with Ozpin, with the second half of the Maiden powers a bonus prize.

Oh well, if there's a bright spot in all of this, it's that they got one hell of a voice actress for the Big Bad.* Everybody go and watch the first four episodes of KonoSuba, free on Crunchyroll. Time for a nice humorous palate cleanse after all this angst. There'll be plenty of time to ramp it all back up next season.

*Called it. ^_^ ~does the Snoopy dance~

Last edited by quigonkenny; 2016-02-15 at 01:03. Reason: Quoted wrong post
quigonkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 15:33   Link #3602
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I'm guessing this "Salem" is based on the wicked witch of the west?
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 15:36   Link #3603
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Damn, that was brutal. But we'll done. Bravo. Now let's see if they have the guts to keep the dead dead.

Can I ask that when people speak of Ruby having or not having the powers of one of the Four Maidens, that they capitalize the word "maiden"? Going on about how "Ruby is not a maiden!" carries some rather...unfortunate connotations...

None of them were around. He was lucky to have Jaune. Don't you realize that one of the primary goals of this invasion was to separate and isolate the most dangerous fighters and pick them off one by one? It apparently worked with Ozpin, with the second half of the Maiden powers a bonus prize.

Oh well, if there's a bright spot in all of this, it's that they got one hell of a voice actress for the Big Bad.* Everybody go and watch the first three episodes of KonoSuba, free on Crunchyroll. Time for a nice humorous palate cleanse after all this angst. There'll be plenty of time to ramp it all back up next season.

*Called it. ^_^ ~does the Snoopy dance~
No it wasn't. Cinder and co. didn't intervene at all during the invasion. Why risk themselves when they could just leave it to the Grimm?

It was fall and the Fall Maiden became Cinder. I got a feeling the next volume will feature the Winder Maiden.

Last edited by bakato; 2016-02-14 at 15:53.
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 15:46   Link #3604
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Season 4 is most likely going to be a setup for a Wizard of Oz style journey with smatterings or Lord of the Rings for good measure. As some people in other forums (and reddit, of all places) pointed out:

Weiss needs to listen to what her heart says. (Tin man)
Blake needs to find courage. (Lion)
Yang needs to think. (Scarecrow)
Ruby is on her journey. (Dorothy)
If I were to make small predictions, is that Weiss will return once she mastered her Glyph. She's at the start of it, but it's incomplete and seems to be draining her. Ruby will probably have to learn using her new power aside from powering up in general. Blake will need to put an end to her story with Adam and patch up with Yang since she kinda left when Yang needed her the most. Yang... Let's just hope Raven doesn't brainwash her...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heir of the Void View Post
In related news, the new gang (Ruby/Jaune/Ren/Nora) is undoubtedly better than the previous gang.

I guess the one think I would have liked to have seen was Jaune finally stepping up after Pyrrha's death. Not even anything showing directly, maybe just a costume shift in his post-battle appearance. Something to signify a change.
I'm not sure. I mean, will they be willing to defer leadership to Ruby? How will they mesh together into a team (I know they're familiar with each other and even fighting side by side, but still).

Yeah, a visual change of Jaune would have been great. I hope they'll do that when season 4 starts (assuming it's a small timeskip of sorts that will take place). That being said, I also want to see how this situation weighs upon Ruby's mind for a bit. Her team disbanded, Weiss' situation, Yang's situation, Blake running off, Her own situation and most importantly: seeing two people she cared about die in such a short time. She clearly didn't have the time to mourn.

I liked how they handled Pyrrha's death. I mean, yeah she had a huge death flag on her and keeping jaune with her (or just prioritize finding Glynda/Ironwood/Crow) would have extended her life. But as she was fighting Cinder I still kept this sliver of hope that Ruby's interference would put a halt to Cinder's rythm. Pyrrha's question about destiny shows that she was alread prepared to die and I have peace with that. I'm not sure if she died a warrior's death but what happened to Ruby kind of blew everything so far out of the water.

And then that last part omgomgomgomg. So that's how a Grim/Human hybrid looks like. Or maybe those dark krystals are filled with negative energy and warped her/keep her warped so she cannally with the Grim (Cinder talking to that dragon was creepy).
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 15:59   Link #3605
Twi

My thoughts are here.
Old 2016-02-14, 16:20   Link #3606
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Considering the lack of foreshadowing about Ruby's eyes... I think it still sort of works, considering the medium. I bet many viewers (including myself) went back to the very first episode and confirmed that the first words Ozpin said were indeed a comment on her eyes. They could never do such a thing in a broadcast format.
Old 2016-02-14, 16:26   Link #3607
bakato

If Summer had powers, then I find the circumstances behind her death even more suspicious.
Old 2016-02-14, 16:30   Link #3608
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Considering the lack of foreshadowing about Ruby's eyes... I think it still sort of works, considering the medium. I bet many viewers (including myself) went back to the very first episode and confirmed that the first words Ozpin said were indeed a comment on her eyes. They could never do such a thing in a broadcast format.
I'm amazed that anyone had to go back to confirm it (other than maybe to confirm it was the first thing he said to her). Silver eyes aren't exactly a common thing in any genre, and are so far unique in RWBY (at least among the living). I'm hardly the only person who assumed her eyes meant something, even if it was only to further tie her to her mother (under the assumption, now proven, that Summer also had silver eyes).

Nice job by the director, by the way, of focusing on Qrow when he said that. I almost expected Ruby's eyes to no longer be silver when the "camera" returned to her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
If Summer had powers, then I find the circumstances behind her death even more suspicious.
Wow, it's almost as if the writers want you to feel that way... But no, that would require some writing skill, so that couldn't possibly be the case... </sarc>
Old 2016-02-14, 16:56   Link #3609
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well, I wonder if there's anything worth being suspicious about. She probably still died in the line of duty. Although her specific anti-grimm power seems to imply she was done in by something other than a grimm.
Old 2016-02-14, 16:59   Link #3610
bakato

Anyone else thought of the Matrix seeing Ozpin dodge Cinder's projectiles?
Old 2016-02-14, 17:00   Link #3611
Chosen_Hero

So I just marathoned the last 3 episodes and i'll stand by what i've said, this series doesn't feel like it earned this kind of tonal shift.

Now I have no problems with series doing tonal shifts (some warrant the change) but I personally feel like this had at least 1 or 2 seasons left before reaching this kind of turning point and for as much info as they give us from a world building standpoint and character standpoint eveything still feels kind of... rushed just to get to this point in the story (episode count and the irregular run times of the episodes are factors into why I feel like this).

Also I have to mention that the whole "the mc is super special" even above everyone else because... secret super power thing had me rolling my eyes (I could literally see this coming from a mile away pretty sure you could too) mostly because I don't like that trope and I feel like if it had been Jaune that witnessed it it would have had much more impact than what I feel was basically a set up just so Ruby could unleash her super special ability. Then we have yet again () the Yang and Blake drama, it's the same as a few episodes ago when Yang got disqualified, drama for drama's sake in between the two. Weiss producing a golem hand holding a sword almost had me rolling my eyes but at least they had the decency of not having her summon the whole damn thing, then there's the whole anyone not in Team RWBY or that is a teacher (although the teachers were awesome) being basically useless thing in these last few episodes (except Rabbit Girl -sorry, forgot her name - who was awesome but her using Team RWBYs weapons kind of detracted from it, even if her ability is pretty cool) and lastly, they could have toned down the villains a bit they were a little too effective.

Now just because I have a few problems with the series it doesn't mean I don't like it, it's just that I won't be one of those fans that praise something like it's perfection or something, RWBY has a lot of similar problems that many anime and tv shows have nowadays, it's not an amazing show but it is in the end a good show.

I hope that for next season they make the rest of Team JNPR the focus since it's time that they get some development and that RT stops giving Jaune the idiot ball "just 'cause" by now it's like they hate him or something (sadly it gets worse when the Team RWBY fanboys complain anytime anyone else gets some kind of spotlight, that's pretty annoying and feels like they don't know what the word Character Development means).

P.S. as for the new teams name I like JRRN (Journey).
Old 2016-02-14, 17:06   Link #3612
Wandering Soul

That episode certainly didn't pull its punches. I doubt Ozpin is dead and Penny can be repaired but it looks like that was truly it for Pyrrha. Jaune will most likely grow in terms of strength and maturity from that experience, though a visual change would also be nice.

The thing about Ruby and sliver eyes made sense. I have to say that the current team looks interesting and while I have no doubt that Team RWBY will get back together, I'm in no rush to see it happen. Each member will have their own personal journey to complete before that.
Old 2016-02-14, 17:20   Link #3613
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
That episode certainly didn't pull its punches. I doubt Ozpin is dead and Penny can be repaired but it looks like that was truly it for Pyrrha. Jaune will most likely grow in terms of strength and maturity from that experience, though a visual change would also be nice.
I have a hard time beliving Roman is dead either. Swallowed whole is often an excuse for a Jonah trope, and given Roman's inspiration, that's particularly appropriate.
Old 2016-02-14, 17:43   Link #3614
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
Pyrrha didn't have to fuckin die goddammit. Fuckin goddammit, there was no point in her fighting Cinder.
Agreed, there was not point in her fighting Cinder, but from a more metafictional perspective, she did have to die. Or, someone in the 'Big Eight' had to die, and she was the best (or only) candidate.

We don't really 'know' Ren or Nora that well, so killing them would have a comparatively minor impact. Killing member of team RWBY would be optimal from a narrative perspective, but they have contractual immortality on account of having their names on the show, so that's out.

Jaune is left, but fact that he has no idea what he's doing actually works in his favor here; the fact that he has no idea what he's doing and thus would be more likely to die actually protects him from a 'no one is safe' kill. Plus, he seems to be one of the more popular characters. I certainly would be displeased if they killed him before he completes his character arc.

So... that leaves Pyrrha.
Heir of the Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 18:03   Link #3615
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

As stupid as Pyrrha was, it felt in-character for her.

I also would like to point out that people who praise a thing don't necessarily think it's perfect. Some of us just like to focus on the good things.
Old 2016-02-14, 18:58   Link #3616
Twi

Pyrrha's death was a natural consequence of picking a fight with a currently god-mode Cinder. That I can understand, even if I don't like it.

Yang losing an arm? That I can understand. Adam leads the White Fang and the Lieutenant alone wrecked Weiss' face.

Penny getting killed? That I can understand. It was arranged.

Ruby's eyes being super-special with little-to-no foreshadowing beyond the first episode, Roman getting eaten abruptly (while kicking Ruby's tail) and thus dead, Weiss suddenly summoning to save a classmate who we haven't seen her talking to all that much, these are horrible plot-twists because they have no decent foreshadowing.

If one of the big eight had to die, I'd understand if Jaune died instead of Pyrrha. In truth, Jaune should have been incinerated the moment that Cinder blasted him, thus leading to Pyrrha swearing to up her game for round goddamn two if he wasn't going to be special this year. Or better yet, he should have blocked the arrow that killed Amber and was then killed, so we'd have half-maiden vs half-maiden. At least then he would have been useful.
Old 2016-02-14, 19:07   Link #3617
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I also would like to point out that people who praise a thing don't necessarily think it's perfect. Some of us just like to focus on the good things.
Would be nice if more people have a more balanced opinion. You're not prohibited from talking shit on what you think is bad from a show.

Quote:
As stupid as Pyrrha was, it felt in-character for her.
She's too consumed by the concept of "destiny". I don't know what Ozpin had in mind when he got Pyrrha to be chosen as a successor to the Fall Maiden. Did he foresee this happening or is Ozpin less infallible than what we assume?

By the way, people die when they are killed, but they only die unless. Jon Snow somewhat proves that. (It's still up in the air, though. Jon Snow's fate, that is.)
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 19:10   Link #3618
GundamFan

I really hated how they had Pyrrha die. Now I wouldn't have been happy with them killing her off no matter what but the fight was stupid and pointless. They could have at least let her die in a meaningful way.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-02-14, 19:17   Link #3619
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Why is everybody always so obsessed by having people die in a "meaningful way"? I always find deaths that are sudden and "meaningless" more impactful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
Would be nice if more people have a more balanced opinion. You're not prohibited from talking shit on what you think is bad from a show.
Some of us aren't so bothered by things that we NEED to talk shit about it.
Old 2016-02-14, 19:23   Link #3620
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Ruby's eyes being super-special with little-to-no foreshadowing beyond the first episode, Roman getting eaten abruptly (while kicking Ruby's tail) and thus dead, Weiss suddenly summoning to save a classmate who we haven't seen her talking to all that much, these are horrible plot-twists because they have no decent foreshadowing.

If one of the big eight had to die, I'd understand if Jaune died instead of Pyrrha. In truth, Jaune should have been incinerated the moment that Cinder blasted him, thus leading to Pyrrha swearing to up her game for round goddamn two if he wasn't going to be special this year. Or better yet, he should have blocked the arrow that killed Amber and was then killed, so we'd have half-maiden vs half-maiden. At least then he would have been useful.
The Grimm are attracted to negative emotions. Roman shouting about how he's a coward and scum would make him look juicy.

She summoned a sword not more than 8 episodes ago.

Jaune has barely been mined for his character and his semblance hasn't even been revealed. It's too soon for him to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
She's too consumed by the concept of "destiny". I don't know what Ozpin had in mind when he got Pyrrha to be chosen as a successor to the Fall Maiden. Did he foresee this happening or is Ozpin less infallible than what we assume?
I saw this event as a case of "you don't choose the path, the path chooses you." Obviously the latter. You saw how troubled he was with what he was about to do to Pyrrha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
I really hated how they had Pyrrha die. Now I wouldn't have been happy with them killing her off no matter what but the fight was stupid and pointless. They could have at least let her die in a meaningful way.
Triggering Ruby's power and stopping the dragon wasn't meaningful? What do you mean by meaningful?

Tags
action, cgi, fairy tale, fantasy, rooster teeth, rwby