AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 09
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 113 61.08%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 44 23.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 13 7.03%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 3.78%
6 out of 10 : Average... 4 2.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.54%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.54%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 2 1.08%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-02, 19:53   Link #361
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
And there needs some kind of foreshadowing. I like when the protag is strong and saves the day - it's the whole point to experiencing a story. You experience vicariously through the character(s), as if you were the one saving the girl with super awesome attacks.

And I am fine with it so long as it isn't out of no where but not heavily foreshadowed.
Well there was some fore-shadowing here with the second sword from a couple of episodes back.
justinstrife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 20:15   Link #362
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

If you didn't get the foreshadowing from other characters CONTINUOUSLY asking Kirito why he always used a one-handed sword without a shield, then you need your head examined.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:16   Link #363
Lumir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Asuna's doing this because she feels responsible for her position, I imagine. Oftentimes people with responsibility end up burning themselves out over it--Asuna's not unique in that regard.
People with a true sense of responsibility would deal with the situation they are facing, not hide behind another (aka kirito). Even those that are "burnt out" as you well put it, would deal with the situation responsibly. But then again she still is a child and she might have just got in over her head, but that's what having a guild is for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That's because Asuna doesn't want to leave. She wants a vacation. She intends to return to the guild and pick up where she left off. If she was willing to burn her bridges, sure, she could leave.

Besides, refusing her that break is really just an excuse. Heathcliff wants to recruit Kirito, that's all. He's less of a slave driver than Asuna herself.
If she wishes to take a break, shouldnt it be as easy as letting her guild know she needs some time off? Sometimes leaving the guild is the best way to take time off, and a good guild will respect your decision even if they do not understand it at the time. If they dont or rather wont, thats not a good guild to be in.

Also refusing anyone anything they decided for them self is strait wrong unless you are refusing a child who has yet to learn or understand the situation fully. To me allowing herself to be refused is a sign of weak characteristics IMO. She is a vice commander, in a game with life and death situations, its been what 3+ months already in this game world with life and death stakes? That kind of situation should have hardened even the strongest of people. As for recruiting kirito, think about the type of leader/recruiter this person is for using his own VC and an this situation. I mean its not like kirito is not working with them already, but to try and force his hand to join?

Then again this is an anime for entertainment purposes. I probably should not look so deep into it.
Old 2012-09-02, 20:41   Link #364
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumir View Post
If she wishes to take a break, shouldnt it be as easy as letting her guild know she needs some time off? Sometimes leaving the guild is the best way to take time off, and a good guild will respect your decision even if they do not understand it at the time. If they dont or rather wont, thats not a good guild to be in.

Also refusing anyone anything they decided for them self is strait wrong unless you are refusing a child who has yet to learn or understand the situation fully. To me allowing herself to be refused is a sign of weak characteristics IMO. She is a vice commander, in a game with life and death situations, its been what 3+ months already in this game world with life and death stakes? That kind of situation should have hardened even the strongest of people. As for recruiting kirito, think about the type of leader/recruiter this person is for using his own VC and an this situation. I mean its not like kirito is not working with them already, but to try and force his hand to join?
(It's been almost two years in this world, actually.)

And well, yeah, the issue is that the guild is in a tough spot right now, and they need all their best players. So I think the guildmaster just sees this as an opportunity to increase the guild's ranks. I don't think he's literally opposed to her going on vacation exactly (and yes, she just wants a break, not to leave), but he'd rather he join the guild too and they both keep on fighting to make the guild strong. I think indeed he's just taking advantage of the opportunity (and that's why he proposed a condition that he figured Kirito would accept, based on what he already did previously with Kuradeel).

I'm sure that Asuna didn't have to accept his terms either and could have just said no... but she's trying to be a loyal guildmember in light of her high position in the guild. If she rebels against the leader, that could be bad for the guild's morale, and nobody wants to see more people desert the frontlines.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:08   Link #365
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectacular_Insanity View Post
If you didn't get the foreshadowing from other characters CONTINUOUSLY asking Kirito why he always used a one-handed sword without a shield, then you need your head examined.
Wait. Are you seriously implying that Kirito using only 1H sword without a shield is a foreshadowing of him using dual-wielding in the future? That is a biased and flawed foreshadowing. Actually that isn't even a foreshadowing at all. I mean, Asuna is a single sword user as well, right? You're saying she would dual-wield as well in the future?

No, if anything counts as foreshadowing, it's Kirito asking for a new blade to be forged in the previous episode and not that. And if you look at the previous episode thread some people did indeed speculate he would dual-wield sometime later from the fact he asked a new sword forged.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:18   Link #366
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Wait. Are you seriously implying that Kirito using only 1H sword without a shield is a foreshadowing of him using dual-wielding in the future? That is a biased and flawed foreshadowing. Actually that isn't even a foreshadowing at all. I mean, Asuna is a single sword user as well, right? You're saying she would dual-wield as well in the future?
Take the fact that he purchased a mostly equal sword and never used it, coupled with the fact that Asuna asked him earlier in this ep why he uses such an odd style.

It's a fair amount of foreshadowing, ya know?

Last edited by Adigard; 2012-09-02 at 21:35.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:20   Link #367
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
...if anything counts as foreshadowing, it's Kirito asking for a new blade to be forged in the previous episode and not that. And if you look at the previous episode thread some people did indeed speculate he would dual-wield sometime later from the fact he asked a new sword forged.
Well, there's that and also the very obvious "There's something super-suspicious about the fact that you only ever use one weapon, Kirito-kun... You haven't even used the sword from Liz! Why is that...?! ...Oh well!" talk from Asuna.

His dual-wielding ability was definitely foreshadowed fairly... although Starstream Burst was a bit of an overkill skill, IMO (even though it was risky, as we find out by the damage he took while in-combo).

(Edit: a bit late, but yeah.)
Old 2012-09-02, 21:25   Link #368
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Just awesome dual swords 50 hit combo and what ever that flash thing was
Old 2012-09-02, 21:27   Link #369
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, there's that and also the very obvious "There's something super-suspicious about the fact that you only ever use one weapon, Kirito-kun... You haven't even used the sword from Liz! Why is that...?! ...Oh well!" talk from Asuna.

His dual-wielding ability was definitely foreshadowed fairly... although Starstream Burst was a bit of an overkill skill, IMO (even though it was risky, as we find out by the damage he took while in-combo).

(Edit: a bit late, but yeah.)
I actually liked how they hinted the Dual Wielding ability, it was very clever. Didn't give too much nor too litle.
And even tho I liked that skill, I must agree, it was quite an overkill skill...I don't like that much that kind of stuff, but since it makes it way more exciting, since he has to take all that risk and all, I let it go, it was fun to watch, so I can't complain ^^
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:27   Link #370
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Out of boredom, I went back to that scene and counted the seconds leading up to when he was ready. They actually do buy him 10 seconds--depending on where you start, they buy him more than 10 seconds, in fact.
I did the same and was rather impressed at how exact Kirito was. He asked for 10 seconds and that's all he needed . Asuna probably could have dodged for a bit longer, but it's good to be punctual.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:31   Link #371
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karakuri View Post
I actually liked how they hinted the Dual Wielding ability, it was very clever. Didn't give too much nor too litle.
And even tho I liked that skill, I must agree, it was quite an overkill skill...I don't like that much that kind of stuff, but since it makes it way more exciting, since he has to take all that risk and all, I let it go, it was fun to watch, so I can't complain ^^
Eh, was it really that clever? The fact that he asked for the a sword of same strength rather than a better one more or less gave everything away. Nothing else make much sense otherwise.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:36   Link #372
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
It's a fair amount of foreshadowing, ya know?
Indeed it's fair. never said it wasn't. I did figure he would do something like a dual-wield when he had a new blade in past ep.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:39   Link #373
Adigard

Quote:
Indeed it's fair. never said it wasn't. I did figure he would do something like a dual-wield when he had a new blade in the previous ep.
Comments were mostly in regards to

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
And there needs some kind of foreshadowing. I like when the protag is strong and saves the day - it's the whole point to experiencing a story. You experience vicariously through the character(s), as if you were the one saving the girl with super awesome attacks.

And I am fine with it so long as it isn't out of no where but not heavily foreshadowed.
But yours was shorter and closer
Old 2012-09-02, 21:44   Link #374
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

Quote:

And well, yeah, the issue is that the guild is in a tough spot right now, and they need all their best players. So I think the guildmaster just sees this as an opportunity to increase the guild's ranks. I don't think he's literally opposed to her going on vacation exactly (and yes, she just wants a break, not to leave), but he'd rather he join the guild too and they both keep on fighting to make the guild strong. I think indeed he's just taking advantage of the opportunity (and that's why he proposed a condition that he figured Kirito would accept, based on what he already did previously with Kuradeel).

I'm sure that Asuna didn't have to accept his terms either and could have just said no... but she's trying to be a loyal guildmember in light of her high position in the guild. If she rebels against the leader, that could be bad for the guild's morale, and nobody wants to see more people desert the frontlines.
Just to chime in on this - from Heathcliff's perspective, no matter what the outcome, it's win-win for him. If Kirito wins, not only does Heathcliff gain his measure, but Asuna gets to go on her break and recharge - I'm quite sure Heathcliff is aware that she's close to burnout, and needs some time off. If Heathcliff wins, Kirito joins KoB, and bolsters their ranks - they're always in need of good people, especially with the casualties they've taken.

Also, an interesting tidbit about Klein that wasn't mentioned in the anime:
Spoiler for Light Novel Detail on Furinkazan not mentioned in the anime:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Eh, was it really that clever? The fact that he asked for the a sword of same strength rather than a better one more or less gave everything away. Nothing else make much sense otherwise.
To people who aren't MMO gamers, yes, it was clever. Notice that only one person speculated last week that he was going to dual wield - everyone else, light novel readers aside, suspected that Dark Repulser was to serve as a backup if Elucidator got broken.

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:46   Link #375
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Also, an interesting tidbit about Klein that wasn't mentioned in the anime:
Spoiler for Light Novel Detail on Furinkazan not mentioned in the anime:
Spoiler for Response to novel comparison:
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:48   Link #376
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
Also, an interesting tidbit about Klein that wasn't mentioned in the anime:]
That's what I'm impressed of Klein and his group. They may have some special qualities that lacks other groups....
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:52   Link #377
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Spoiler for Response to novel comparison:
Highly unlikely, honestly... Far more likely Klein would use it on someone who fell in a boss fight.

Having the ability to save someone who died right in front of you, and doing nothing about it even though it's totally in your power to rescue them... doesn't strike me as being much like Klein.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:53   Link #378
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
That's what I'm impressed of Klein and his group. They may have some special qualities that lacks other groups....
I'm sure a lot of credit goes straight to Klein. While he might look silly he definitely has a good head on his shoulders. Has a guild of a manageable size full of people he trusts and who trust him in return. If I'm going to be in that world would probably stick with his guild, even if it doesn't have the cute girls .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard View Post
Highly unlikely, honestly... Far more likely Klein would use it on someone who fell in a boss fight.

Having the ability to save someone who died right in front of you, and doing nothing about it even though it's totally in your power to rescue them... doesn't strike me as being much like Klein.
Didn't that happen in this episode? Though I suppose that's a good reason to think he doesn't have it. But the problem with that items is timing. You have to be reacting very quickly to realize the situation, open the item menu, pull the item out and use it before the person's brain gets fried. Would make things more tense to be sure that he doesn't have it though.
Old 2012-09-02, 21:55   Link #379
Karakuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Nothing else makes sense? You do know swords can break, right? It was even shown when Kirito fought Kuradeel.
His sword could break and he thought of that and decided to create one just to make sure.
He could've also done it because his sword couldn't be upgraded, and a new one could be able to upgrade, many options man...
It did give away, I knew it right at the beginning, but still you can't say it's 100% certain there would be dual wielding expectation in there.
Edit: And yeah, some people do not play MMO's it would be harder for them to guess...I do play MMO's tho, and I still found it clever...But I am someone who is amazed easily, so meh, maybe it's only me.

Last edited by Karakuri; 2012-09-02 at 22:13.
Karakuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-02, 21:57   Link #380
Lumir

Quote:

Interesting outlook on things. But some of Asuna's actions have me questioning her character. Granted we are in a game instant messaging someone is available, so it should have been as simple as sending a message or meeting in person for asuna to let her guild know where and what she wanted to do. Hiding behind Kirito when her supposed body guard was seemingly out of line and then all of a sudden relieving that same guard of his duties later is... well ya it should have happened right away if she felt he was out of line. Sometime being loyal to your guild is knowing when you need to step out or take a temporary leave ect.

As for recruiting kirito, if we are 2 years in why is it just now time to try and recruit him. Surely they must have tried in the past, he is a well known soloer, and constantly helping out at the front lines. I guess its for the sake of the plot of the story ect, but the execution of things seems off to me.