AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels

Notices

Old 2013-05-09, 01:10   Link #361
terribad

Quote:
Originally Posted by csuree View Post
So once this is why he said to Ebina that if she is too nice to him he might fall in love. These 2 affirmations are just shouting out that he needs some romantic attention. He is craving to be loved, but his rational mind is just too damn strong....."Scumbag Brain.....Why you no let Hikki be happy" (Meme style )
Oh please, I would love to be "the spock". Someone whose reason and other cognitive abilities are supreme over all emotions. It helps with my life mission to try eliminate the error in all my beliefs and principles among other things. I would say find the absolute truth but I'm too uncertain of nigh everything to say. My best solution is just to decrease the chances of me being wrong rather than proving I'm right. Intelligence would help too but it seems I was hit by dumb edition of the ugly stick. You shouldn't get the wrong idea. Although I have avoided the ugly stick, I didn't avoid the effing ugly tree. I'm still a little bitter.

Anyway, I admire Hachiman's dedication to reason over emotion. In retrospect, the reason for his dedication could just be stubbornness which I don't like. I'm not saying emotion or morality is bad just that reason should be the "manager" in their relationship. I think Hachiman was like me in the past who placed no significance on emotion at all. Now I follow that it stands to reason to accept and control it.

P.S. Please don't see my self-depreciating humour as like a stereotypical girl saying "I'm fat/ugly" to her boyfriend: read as fishing for compliments. I have a good reason for believing said flaws. However I'm open for debate for the none of you who care to. Plus self-depreciating humour is sure fire way to get people to laugh in my experience. It seems that you're all a tough crowd so far.

Last edited by terribad; 2013-05-09 at 04:22.
terribad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 01:31   Link #362
terribad

The paste bin summaries have been updated on page 15. It's not complete but perhaps it might as well be complete. On the topic of Baka Tsuki, there is another translator working on volume 3 chapter 1 at present called Fronttide. He's 1/6 of the way through but he's struggling with grammar. An editor called Islandi is working on it.
Old 2013-05-09, 03:27   Link #363
csuree
The Most Hated™

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribad View Post
P.S. Please don't see my self-depreciating humour as like a stereotypical girl saying "I'm fat/ugly" to her boyfriend. I have a good reason for believing said flaws. However I'm open for debate for the none of you who care to. Plus self-depreciating humour is sure fire way to get people to laugh in my experience. It seems that you're all a tough crowd so far.
Well I think of myself as a person who imitates the word tough. In truth I am like any other person: affectionate, caring, friendly.....Well that was true a few years ago. Because of my bitter experiences in life I grew sour and dark so I went from nice guy to @sshole which is now affecting every part of my life...but I don't care.(Maybe I care but the good side of me was locked deep inside me under 7 seals.)

I also used self depreciating humor but i got fed up with it after a while. It attracted unwanted attention from my bullies.

Mind over Emotion?......Rationality over sentimentalism......Now that I know that being rational only brought me unhappiness and suffering, I'd rather be sentimental, and less intelligent.

Well thinking back.....Yui who was shot down quite a few times already(namely 2 until volume 3) is quite resilient, trying to get closer to him even after those experiences. It is because of the fun experiences thy shared and that is when Hikki opens up a little that gives her hope to try again and again. Surely she will try again even after all this... as I said she had 1 year of silent observation and then the club events...If she gave up now I would be sad.

Thank you very much for updating the summaries I'll go check them out.
Old 2013-05-09, 04:10   Link #364
terribad

Quote:
Well I think of myself as a person who imitates the word tough. In truth I am like any other person: affectionate, caring, friendly.....Well that was true a few years ago. Because of my bitter experiences in life I grew sour and dark so I went from nice guy to @sshole which is now affecting every part of my life...but I don't care.(Maybe I care but the good side of me was locked deep inside me under 7 seals.)

I also used self depreciating humor but i got fed up with it after a while. It attracted unwanted attention from my bullies.

Mind over Emotion?......Rationality over sentimentalism......Now that I know that being rational only brought me unhappiness and suffering, I'd rather be sentimental, and less intelligent.

Well thinking back.....Yui who was shot down quite a few times already(namely 2 until volume 3) is quite resilient, trying to get closer to him even after those experiences. It is because of the fun experiences thy shared and that is when Hikki opens up a little that gives her hope to try again and again. Surely she will try again even after all this... as I said she had 1 year of silent observation and then the club events...If she gave up now I would be sad.

Thank you very much for updating the summaries I'll go check them out.
Yeah Yeah but did anyone laugh? You likely didn't, did you? Sigh. I won't stop but I won't let jokes interrupt my arguments any more. (Damn my emotional but intermittent drive to make people to chuckle - case in point for those who have had enough of it.)

I said that I was open to debate. However I can't do it in this thread because it's too far from the threads purpose. Unless I mask my essentially a diary with some last minute analysis of the characters. In light of all that I'm not going to say too much. However I think you misunderstood. I believe emotion is what drives us but I also believe reason is a means of directing or managing that among other things. If there is a reasonable explanation that an emotion is important, I will follow it but reason comes first. I'm very weary of the thought of just trusting emotion, not intuition, because it usually depends on some narrow or short-sighted impression. If one gains a broader perspective or just changes said perspective, emotion may just as easily change as it did come. It's pretty fickle in that regard compared to reason. It has its uses if you believe in the evolutionary model but I think valuing it above reason is a little outdated. Reason can easily accommodate for emotion while emotion in most cases doesn't do the same for reason. If nothing else where's the equivalent exchange?

On the topic of Yui, if I was in her shoes I would have gave up before even the first rejection. I'd say that I follow "better to be safe than sorry" or that whole "risk and reward" argument Hiratsuka made in ep 1. As you probably guessed, I value romantic love overall as risk rather than reward. Following my aforementioned rule I choose the safer option and somehow crush my feelings if possible. You must note that I've never been "in love" - maybe 1-3 infatuations like 5 years ago but that's it. The point there was I'm not really sure how I would crush them if possible - perhaps research is necessary. Although without self-inserting I haven't looked too deeply into Yui so I'll refrain from evaluating her decision.

I'm not sure how to react when someone tells me their troubled history. It seems no matter what I say or don't say, depending on the person, someone could get confrontational. So I choose the safest option that is, I choose to remain silent. Silence gives me plenty of room to weasel myself out if necessary. Unless I'm being interrogated...

Last edited by terribad; 2013-05-09 at 05:12. Reason: I totally forgot about the 1st, 2nd and 4th paragraph
Old 2013-05-09, 04:55   Link #365
terribad

So I don't appear too insensitive, I updated my post mainly for csuree. I posted that I updated because I think he should read it and I corrected some grammar mistakes for the rest.
Old 2013-05-09, 05:44   Link #366
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

Nice boom in sales for the LN!
Old 2013-05-09, 06:38   Link #367
terribad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemisphere View Post
Nice boom in sales for the LN!
I know little of Business so if I'm wrong please tell me. If anyone disagrees with any of my points of view, please let me know as I long to reduce the error in them.

Tsutaya (ranking website) is a nationwide chain of video rental shops and bookstores and has 1394 rental shops in Japan from 2010. I'm not sure how much of the market this chain takes but I think it's reasonable to assume the ratings apply on an actual nationwide scale. Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_Convenience_Club

I'm a little confused with some of the rankings. Volume 1 is first perhaps because of the anime viewers who were ignorant of the series before the anime. However I've heard the anime was rated average by the Japanese. I suppose that the anime-first buyers were familiar with the common effects of LN adaptions. They realised the some the good bits were probably elaborated in the LN and some of the bad bits were intrinsic to light novel adaptations. I suppose that the anime market is much larger than the light novel market. Though I've read LNs in general are still very popular in Japan. As for volume 3 being higher than volume 2, I guess that's due to the people who brought volumes as a taster being inspired by the anime/hype get the next volume. Perhaps more people brought two volumes as teaser as opposed to one. As for the rest I'm not too sure.

I'm not sure how impressive it is but the author releases 3 volumes a year. He also releases them within + or - 3 days of the same 3 dates. So perhaps, all this success may be a lot of additional pressure. Or the additional pressure could just be "how do I use all this money?"
Old 2013-05-09, 07:19   Link #368
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

^
Yep, pretty much that. Simple logic, really.. people try to read the source material if they found the series interesting. Source material usually has more content and spoilers stuffs that they can read first before anime-only viewers know about it.

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 09:31   Link #369
csuree
The Most Hated™

Well it was expected because it is the same with any books comics, that were made in to movies too.
Good examples: Lord of the rings, The hobbit, Eragon, Harry Potter series, all of the superhero movies, MARVEL, DC Comics, after the movies they all registered boost in sale of the paper printed editions.

Same thing must be with Japan too.

terribad. Thank you very much for thinking about me, my eyes go watery.....(well not really but it is a nice gesture....Must keep strong appearence)

Also reading about in a post that with volume 7 we entered the 2nd half of the series, meaning there are 5 books left?...this means in 2015 March-April it will be finished..... sad to hear it but you know school does not last forever even in the manga/anime/light novel world.

Well about love... and risk and rewards......there is no such thing as love w/o any risk....love is always the riskiest....actually you know why?.... source: me (0% success) and even the top notch guys fail 90% of the time. I also had infatuations with many girls but they all friend-zoned me....sadly. After a while I got fed up with being friend-zoned so I altogether stopped talking to them and as an effect I isolated myself.
I did exactly what Hikki did and became a lone wolf, but I did not have a caring teacher, or club to help me out so this is it.

Well honestly what puzzles me in this novel is how the Hayato gang seems like a neutral camp...I can't really decide if they are good or bad....
Old 2013-05-09, 12:30   Link #370
icebreaker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...SNAFU_episodes
Anyway Episode 7,8,9,10's title were revealed.

Episode 7,8 - Volume 4
Episode 9,10 - Volume 5

EDIT: Wait I don't get it. Is the "festival" in Episode 10 supposed to be the fireworks festival in Volume 5 or the cultural festival in Volume 6? Are they butchering Volume 5 into 1 Episode too? I'll facepalm if they're trying to do Volume 7.

Last edited by icebreaker; 2013-05-09 at 12:55.
icebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 12:51   Link #371
terribad

I think you've misunderstood a little. Perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned my pitiable knowledge of business. I know if people like your product, it and its related products will likely sell. The problem was my impression that watchers didn't like the anime. If so why was volume 1 in first place? The rest was me trying reconcile that question assuming the premise was true. But even the premise is uncertain, perhaps it was the vocal minority and the majority did enjoy the episodes or bad second hand info. The second was the order. As you know I've already tried to reconcile volumes 1, 2 and 3 on the list. Why was volume 6 so high on the list? I just thought that may be because the Japanese know the anime ends at volume 6. Those who want to sample the ending or whatever reason without shifting through a volume or four just brought that one. Then again, it's just speculation. I think there are a lot of interpretations to the order and success so perhaps it's not that simple.
Old 2013-05-09, 12:58   Link #372
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Look at mondaiji, it has average rating but sales went booming. Same thing happened on here.. and well anime viewer are so many that if all of them starts buying the book, it'll increase the sales a lot. What happened in episode 5 might also brings many people to be interested with the book too.

Quote:
EDIT: Wait I don't get it. Is the "festival" in Episode 10 supposed to be the fireworks festival in Volume 5 or the cultural festival in Volume 6? Are they butchering Volume 5 into 1 Episode too?
..I think they're cramming vol 5 in episode 9. Episode 10 seems to be the beginning of vol 6.

Old 2013-05-09, 12:59   Link #373
icebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
..I think they're cramming vol 5 in episode 9. Episode 10 seems to be the beginning of vol 6.
How many episodes do they have? 13? I think we should be looking at Volume 7 here...
Old 2013-05-09, 13:03   Link #374
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Quote:
How many episodes do they have? 13? I think we should be looking at Volume 7 here...
I think it's 12.. hopefully not with original ending so as to leave chance for season 2 Ending the anime with vol 7 is rather..bad, don't you think? I mean, it'll leave us hanging with bittersweet ending and curiousity of their relationship

Old 2013-05-09, 13:18   Link #375
icebreaker

Quote:
I think it's 12.. hopefully not with original ending so as to leave chance for season 2 Ending the anime with vol 7 is rather..bad, don't you think? I mean, it'll leave us hanging with bittersweet ending and curiousity of their relationship
I'll be happy if they spend 3 episodes to properly do Volume 6.
Old 2013-05-09, 13:42   Link #376
terribad

Quote:
Well it was expected because it is the same with any books comics, that were made in to movies too.
Good examples: Lord of the rings, The hobbit, Eragon, Harry Potter series, all of the superhero movies, MARVEL, DC Comics, after the movies they all registered boost in sale of the paper printed editions.

Same thing must be with Japan too.

terribad. Thank you very much for thinking about me, my eyes go watery.....(well not really but it is a nice gesture....Must keep strong appearence)

Also reading about in a post that with volume 7 we entered the 2nd half of the series, meaning there are 5 books left?...this means in 2015 March-April it will be finished..... sad to hear it but you know school does not last forever even in the manga/anime/light novel world.

Well about love... and risk and rewards......there is no such thing as love w/o any risk....love is always the riskiest....actually you know why?.... source: me (0% success) and even the top notch guys fail 90% of the time. I also had infatuations with many girls but they all friend-zoned me....sadly. After a while I got fed up with being friend-zoned so I altogether stopped talking to them and as an effect I isolated myself.
I did exactly what Hikki did and became a lone wolf, but I did not have a caring teacher, or club to help me out so this is it.

Well honestly what puzzles me in this novel is how the Hayato gang seems like a neutral camp...I can't really decide if they are good or bad....
It wasn't a nice gesture at all. I just got the impression that I seemed a little obnoxious. You tell us your past and the first thing I say while replying is a dismissive: Yeah Yeah. So I added the last paragraph just to explain why so people especially guests don't misunderstand. Note I haven't really said anything about my response to your past. That's again because:

If I don't say anything: "you insensitive asshole show some respect!"
If I do say something: "I don't need your pity!"
Source: Me

I recognise there's some reward in a romantic relationship that's why I said "overall risk". To elaborate a little, I place little value on the reward. For example I think most of the pleasure is just hormones. If so there are plenty of less risky ways to get a similar dopamine rush. There's the support reward too. I'll stop as if I talk any more it would have to be in a more general thread.

Quote:
Look at mondaiji, it has average rating but sales went booming. Same thing happened on here.. and well anime viewer are so many that if all of them starts buying the book, it'll increase the sales a lot. What happened in episode 5 might also brings many people to be interested with the book too.
I'm not really convinced why we can accurately extend sales of Mondaiji to Oregairu. If I assume you're right, do you agree with the following rule of thumb. If an adaptation is an anime with average or above rating, sales of the source material will substantially increase.

I've heard that the Japanese tend to drop series after the first episode. It's seems an unwritten rule to drop the series on myanimelist after about 3 episodes if you don't like it. If so perhaps most people who were bored would have dropped the series before they even got to the end of ep 5. However if there is a great number of anime viewers like you said, even a small fraction would be beneficial. I guess the relatively high sales of volume 3 would be explained by ep 5.
Old 2013-05-09, 15:55   Link #377
csuree
The Most Hated™

Quote:
Yeah Yeah but did anyone laugh? You likely didn't, did you? Sigh. I won't stop but I won't let jokes interrupt my arguments any more. (Damn my emotional but intermittent drive to make people to chuckle - case in point for those who have had enough of it.)

I'm not sure how to react when someone tells me their troubled history. It seems no matter what I say or don't say, depending on the person, someone could get confrontational. So I choose the safest option that is, I choose to remain silent. Silence gives me plenty of room to weasel myself out if necessary. Unless I'm being interrogated...
Quote:
It wasn't a nice gesture at all. I just got the impression that I seemed a little obnoxious. You tell us your past and the first thing I say while replying is a dismissive: Yeah Yeah. So I added the last paragraph just to explain why so people especially guests don't misunderstand. Note I haven't really said anything about my response to your past. That's again because:

If I don't say anything: "you insensitive asshole show some respect!"
If I do say something: "I don't need your pity!"
Source: Me
Hi terri.... I think you were referring to the quotes above when replying to me.
I am very sorry if I gave you a bad impression. or something like that....It was never intended to be that way. I'm having trouble with communicating and social relationships so I might have made some blunders......I apologize for them.

Anyway you can write it down exactly what was my offense, I will read it, analyze it, but I'm not the kind of person who holds a grudge because someone told me something unpleasant that was also a truth. I wanna reflect on what I did.

Well also economics is for those who are inside it. I as a consumer am happy that many like the series but that is all I need to know....the rest is the accountants, managers, and marketing people's duty.

as for the TV series.... they might just go 13 episodes given the summer season kicks off July 1st, Monday. If they go 12 episodes 1 week will be empty.
This is just my speculation, I have no proof......maybe I'm right maybe not; We'll see.
Old 2013-05-09, 16:05   Link #378
Tenzen12

Can't sales be result of episode. 5? I mean it was pretty much most epic episode so far (last 2 minutes at least) and caught many people off guard. I were going myself ask about sales (and thus for chance for 2ndyou season/ova)on after that...
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-09, 21:46   Link #379
larethian

Quote:
I know little of Business so if I'm wrong please tell me. If anyone disagrees with any of my points of view, please let me know as I long to reduce the error in them.

Tsutaya (ranking website) is a nationwide chain of video rental shops and bookstores and has 1394 rental shops in Japan from 2010. I'm not sure how much of the market this chain takes but I think it's reasonable to assume the ratings apply on an actual nationwide scale. Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_Convenience_Club

I'm a little confused with some of the rankings. Volume 1 is first perhaps because of the anime viewers who were ignorant of the series before the anime. However I've heard the anime was rated average by the Japanese. I suppose that the anime-first buyers were familiar with the common effects of LN adaptions. They realised the some the good bits were probably elaborated in the LN and some of the bad bits were intrinsic to light novel adaptations. I suppose that the anime market is much larger than the light novel market. Though I've read LNs in general are still very popular in Japan. As for volume 3 being higher than volume 2, I guess that's due to the people who brought volumes as a taster being inspired by the anime/hype get the next volume. Perhaps more people brought two volumes as teaser as opposed to one. As for the rest I'm not too sure.

I'm not sure how impressive it is but the author releases 3 volumes a year. He also releases them within + or - 3 days of the same 3 dates. So perhaps, all this success may be a lot of additional pressure. Or the additional pressure could just be "how do I use all this money?"
You've heard the anime was rated average by Japanese? I'm not doubting what you heard, but just wondering where you heard it from or are you alluding to the preorder sales of the BD/DVDs of this series, and using it as a correlation to decide what the Japanese think of the anime? If it's the former, I will be interested to know where you hear it from. If it's the later, then it's a mistake to use that as a correlation, since anime buyers are anime collectors (not necessarily LN readers), and moreover Oregairu is competing with a large number of great titles this season for the limited resources of the anime collectors.

Anime market is larger than the LN market? What figures are you basing this on? Right now, since you had mentioned 'anime market', I'm more convinced that you are trying to make correlations between anime sales and LN sales, which does not make sense to me at all. Firstly, for the record, anime sales are usually in the 4-figure arena and only the really big hits make it into the 5-figures (>10k), while average book sales will easily go into 5 (lower end) to 6 (higher end) figures (though anything doing above 200k copies per year is considered well above average and can be considered a hit series though stuff like SAO hit an insane 2 million last year) a year. Maybe, the market value of anime might be higher with better margins (I'm not sure), but counting the numbers, it's obvious 'more' people buy cheaper LNs than buy expensive anime.

One of the reasons why sales of Oregairu LN has increaseed is probably as per what Chaos2Frozen once alluded to. Oregairu LN ranked no. 6 in "This Light Novel is Amazing 2013" (among LN readers, this is the currently perceived authority in ranking LNs in terms of content quality, not popularity/sales). This would have brought LN readers attention to the title. After watching the anime, some of them might have decided to buy the LNs (since they are primarily LN readers). So this is not really surprising. Of course, if the anime was very badly made, this might not have happened, so I would consider that the anime has achieved some degree of success despite its bleak anime preorders.

While the LN sales have apparently increased, the significance of the increase is still questionable. This is because even though Tsutaya is huge, it is but one among a number of other large, popular book retailers. If you want a more accurate picture in terms of 'significance' and how it stands among other titles, Oricon is a better measure. If you look at this page, Tsutaya is actually just one of the cooperating stores for the compiled figures published by Oricon: http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/index4.html

And ever since volume 7 was released, Oregairu has yet to break into top 30 for the 2nd time in the weekly rankings (of course this doesn't mean it is doing badly, as there are a large number of titles and even the worse ranked - no. 30 - is doing more than 5k in the week). Just that, in RELATIVE terms, it's far from stellar compared to other titles. But I think we can get more conclusive figures after the anime ends and if the publisher is willing to give actual figures. OVerall, I would say the LN sales boost is not surprising, but I'm not sure whether they are actually significant enough. To make a comparison, one of the series I love, Densetsu Yuusha no Densetsu, has pathetic BD/DVD sales, but received almost a 500k copies boost in LN sales (from 3.8 million to about 4.3 million). Now, that's what I would call significant (even though it already has over 20 volumes in the series). Of course I don't even want to talk about the LN boost for SAO and AW (and they even have superb BD/DVD sales).

As for the publish dates, dates are set by publishers and each publisher usually has a set date every month and adheres to it. All titles released by the same publisher are usually published on the very same date each month.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 00:17   Link #380
csuree
The Most Hated™

Oh my god... Episode 6 was so edited....it is really annoying that some good bits are simply left out.

The really cool parts like the UFO catcher was left out, cat and dog show were left out, Totsuka left out. Hikki's mom left out.
Well that is expected if they cram a full volume into 1 episode.

Well the point is they made some progress, Yui flag was raised again(the present), let's see what the summer vacation has in store.
Haruno is pretty cute, she would have fooled me with her facade. How did Hikki see through it? Maybe there were some subtle body language gestures. Or maybe he recognizes a fake smile. I read that a real smile is where the whole face smiles, and you can identify a fake one by looking at the eyes and such subtle traits.

Interesting how Komachi and Haruno have the same ideas......siblings are annoying when they try to hook you up with someone. (My brother does the same thing with me)

Tags
club, comedy, delayed release date, dramedy, fake harem, gagaga bunko, harem, hinedere, kuuderes, philosophy, romance, school life, slice of life, social psychology, train wreck