AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2007-03-03, 04:47   Link #361
Joojoobees

Thumbs up Episode 7 - my impressions

I was happy with this episode. It wasn't the funniest episode, but I was impressed that they addressed some of my concern regarding Chiaki's character head on.
Spoiler for rice balls:

Chiaki hasn't completely redeemed himself.
Spoiler for park bench:

And we (including Chiaki) got another glimpse of Nodame's talent at playing piano. I think this sets the show up nicely for moving into the middle section of the series.
Old 2007-03-03, 11:35   Link #362
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Spoiler for park bench:
but he has shown before that he does care about nodame (other wise a few eps back he would have just let Stresemann take he away ~)
i really liked the end of ep 7 chiaki is beginning to look at the funnier side of things allowing mine to do his stunt and it was dam cool of him to "reward" nodame :3

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 13:09   Link #363
Theowne
耳をすませば

I thought the park bench scene was actually a pretty nice part. It shows he's loosening up, he would never have let Nodame do that previously. The fact that he even wants to "reward" her says something about his change so far, I think. Even if he still has to keep up that facade of his big ego.

I have to say I preferred the use of Beethoven's symphony No.7 in the live action, though. Just gave it a better feel in the parts it was used.

Anyways this show is giving me Waltz-syndrome (for H&C fans here) - I love the ED and how it comes in at the end of the series.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..

Last edited by Theowne; 2007-03-03 at 16:46.
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 22:01   Link #364
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Ep 7.

Admittedly, it did follow a formula set by previous episodes and it wasn't the funniest ep ever, but that become so awesome by its end. This is how you do character development... this is how you really mold likable personalities into something special. And this is why the josei genre is so awesome, IMO.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 22:17   Link #365
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Ep 7.

Admittedly, it did follow a formula set by previous episodes and it wasn't the funniest ep ever, but that become so awesome by its end.
The second half is the best part so far and is a very good indicator of the development work that they did in the earlier episodes. Chiaki is realising that he needs to be less aloof, taciturn, and controlling due to his personal fears/doubts. You can see his defenses slowly being breached and developing into someone who will conquer his personal fears to go to Europe in time. Nodame is the catalyst to all that.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 22:25   Link #366
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

It is, in a sense, not dissimilar to the standard tsundere archetype (with the difference that it's a male this time), but I've always argued that some of the most dynamic and strong characters in anime are tsundere. But, it's a recipe for character development and there's no reason why it can't work, particular when you surround him with personalities as likable as the ones in this anime, and do everything else right (like the comedy and technical elements), as this series has done up to this point.

I hate it when people dismiss tsundere-ism out of hand. Sure, it's a formula, but it's a good formula.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 22:40   Link #367
leongsh
Daijoubu!

My personal opinion is that it's better to ignore all this labelling and just watch the story and characters as they develop. When we start all this labelling, we have developed our own expectations and any associated prejudices. Some people go to the extent of wanting characters to be developed in a certain way and the story to be done in a certain way - it's something that I do not agree with. I'm happy to let the director to show me his vision, whether it would be good or bad in my personal assessment. If I don't like it, I move on.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 22:49   Link #368
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
but he has shown before that he does care about nodame (other wise a few eps back he would have just let Stresemann take he away)
Good point, and I will credit Chiaki with genuinely caring about Nodame there. I think he was trying to protect her even more than trying to "keep" her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I thought the park bench scene was actually a pretty nice part. It shows he's loosening up, he would never have let Nodame do that previously. The fact that he even wants to "reward" her says something about his change so far, I think. Even if he still has to keep up that facade of his big ego.
Yes, it was a nice way of showing that he made some progress, and that he still has a way to go. I don't think his ego is a facade, although I guess it is hard to not get a big ego when all he needs to do is walk into a room to cause squeels of "Chiaki-sama!" from half of the girls there. I still think he can afford to be taken down a peg or two. "Rewarding" Nodame might be a start, but he needs to realize how lucky he is to have Nodame around. :cracks whip in Chiaki's direction:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
The second half is the best part so far and is a very good indicator of the development work that they did in the earlier episodes.
I absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
This is how you do character development... this is how you really mold likable personalities into something special. And this is why the josei genre is so awesome, IMO.
Yes, if they keep this up, this is going to be one of my favorite shows.
Joojoobees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 23:01   Link #369
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
Some people go to the extent of wanting characters to be developed in a certain way and the story to be done in a certain way - it's something that I do not agree with. I'm happy to let the director to show me his vision, whether it would be good or bad in my personal assessment. If I don't like it, I move on.
That's one way of approaching things. For me, if I didn't care about how the story turned out, or what happened to the characters, I would probably stop watching. It is because I care about these characters that I want things for them. I don't want the characters to act a certain way to fit my theory of fiction, but rather because I'm caught up in the fiction. If things don't work out the way I want them to, I might end up angry, or even heartbroken, but that doesn't necessarily mean that I think the director's vision was flawed, quite the contrary!
Old 2007-03-04, 01:01   Link #370
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Episode 7 was great but the raw of 8 has some interesting developments.

Unfortunately, too much dialogue in a language I understand poorly might
have me misinterpreting some things so I'll wait until a sub appears that I
can clarify a particular situation but definetely my most hotly anticipated
show now when a new one comes out besides Kanon.
Old 2007-03-04, 13:36   Link #371
Kisuke06
I see...

LOL!

Episode 6 was the funniest so far.

Now I'm off to download ep7. =D
Kisuke06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 05:00   Link #372
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Episode 7 was good and gifted with a marvellous ending.

Before that we got a lot of meaningful character development, with Nodame being the catalyst and Chiaki the one who changed. All the plot construction from the few previous episodes was visible in this one. But, the most beautiful part of the episode was Stresemann's autoadmitted defeat. Certainly that isn't a very likeable character, but he's still a maestro, if it's true that he was the one forming the talented S orchestra.
I loved also the final part with Nodame's reward (kiss), the ending theme starting as bg music, Stresemann in anger and the sunset. Summing up 20 minutes of episode in 20 seconds. Meanwhile, a new fruiteful day had passed.

I'm glad they finished the "A orchestra vs S orchestra" quickly, because while important it's just the first real step Chiaki does for his career. If handled for too long it could have become repetitive and penalizing for the main story. Generically, I'm happy with the pace the show is keeping until this point.

And lol at Nodame referring to herself as Chiaki's "wife".
Old 2007-03-05, 08:01   Link #373
aliensporebomb

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb
Exclamation Heh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Episode 7 was good and gifted with a marvellous ending.

Snip.

And lol at Nodame referring to herself as Chiaki's "wife".
It sure started early, too - wasn't it in episode two where she was saying
"married life sure is great!" right after dinner?

Watch out, Chiaki. These things tend to have a way of resolving themselves!

I'm digging the scenes where Nodame seems to be able to play just about any
ridiculously complex classical piece just by hearing it which really took Chiaki
aback when she self-created a piano arrangement of the piece the S-Oke was
working on just by hearing it earlier.

I know there are some autistic savant types who have this capability but
Nodame seems to have a fairly high level of functioning - she just doesn't
care much for cleaning and keeping things tidy - if it's not piano or Chiaki
or food it's all way down on the list of importance.
Old 2007-03-05, 10:41   Link #374
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

Just finished watching EP 4 and LMFHO!!!

I finally have the feel I had when watching Honey & Clovers now while I watch (miss them soo much)

Ep 3 was a waste of my time that I so want back ...meh GER!
pathyfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 11:30   Link #375
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
I'm happy with the pace the show is keeping until this point.
I completely agree. I feel like there has been development in several characters (Nodame and Mine as well as Chiaki) and good introductions to several more (especially Milky and Masumi). Now I feel like we are ready to begin the real substance of the story.
Old 2007-03-05, 11:36   Link #376
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathyfinder View Post
Ep 3 was a waste of my time that I so want back
I really liked Episode 3! In fact, I think it was one of the funniest episodes, and laughed out loud several times. At one point I had to pause the show, so I could recover. I thought it was particularly funny that Mine was the "adult" moderating the disagreement.
Old 2007-03-05, 17:06   Link #377
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Spoiler:
That may be, but I truly believed her when she said it is one of her favorite movies. It just seems to fit her overall personality. But I like the notion that she had a deeper motive. I do think she's smarter than she lets on, just a bit ditzy.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 17:23   Link #378
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
That may be, but I truly believed her when she said it is one of her favorite movies. It just seems to fit her overall personality. But I like the notion that she had a deeper motive. I do think she's smarter than she lets on, just a bit ditzy.
A rather huge understatement there hahaha, Nodame has been ditzy since episode 1 but the way she does it, you cant help but adore her even more.

I think the initial violent part of Chiaki during epi 7 was done in humourous way. It was funny to me atleast, reminds me of Louise x Saito in Zero no Tsukaima.

Right now, Nodame Cantabile still remains the best anime for me for this season. I hope it will end well and maybe another season of it
Old 2007-03-05, 17:37   Link #379
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
yea i think that she knows that chiaki needed help/advice but being herself she cant put her feelings into words or rather chiaki wont listen to her in the first place ~ so showing that movie was easier and surprisingly it managed to stick O.o

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-05, 21:29   Link #380
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Episode 7

Very nice episode though Chiaki has a long way to go it was nice to see him make progress in terms of understanding others feelings. Mad cookies to Nodame for showing him that video and she quite bluntly told him that he reminded her of the bully from the video, granted that didnt stop him from punishing her but it did have the desired effect.

IMO Nodame is the perfect companion friend or otherwise for Chiaki. She manages to get him to do the right thing without really trying plus i dont think Chiaki has ever really met a person like her, they say opposite attract LOL. Plus she has a good heart combined with Chiaki natural traditional talent and Nodames unorthodox playing style they are pretty good together. Its so amazing how precise Nodames memory is when it comes to hearing and playing back music

Like i stated before i was pretty sure Milche had this planned from the start which was obvious after he decided to go off somewhere rather than conducting. Combining all the bad students who werent really bad as i remember Chiaki figured out they are all like Nodame and Chiaki together taught him a valuable lesson.

Spoiler for My favorite Part of the episode:

Tags
comedy, nodame cantabile, noitamina, romance