AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > sola

Notices

Old 2007-04-15, 13:01   Link #361
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
Er, she's not trying to get soda - Shiruko is a sweet red bean soup of some kind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiruko). And it's possible that sola is a romanization equivalent of sora (which seems much more likely as the series is all about the sky >.>).

So your wordplay doesn't work at all
Okay, but the theory I'm trying to make still stands.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-04-15 at 13:19. Reason: Theory, not point. I've got to get away from that type of thinking
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 13:08   Link #362
guiltygearxt
C.C. belongs to me

watched it and loved it in all aspects
guiltygearxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 14:41   Link #363
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Looking Up Upon the Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiltygearxt View Post
watched it and loved it in all aspects
Agreed. There is no turning back after episode two. I feel happy and in high spirits for having picked up sola. Most of the titles that I have picked up for this season are shounen action, horror, and/or slapstick comedy. It was a must need for me to balance the spectrum of my preferences with a show filled with lightearted shoujo drama and slice-of-life.

Whenever I look to Yorito interacting or exchanging a pleasant conversation with Matsuri I get the feeling if I am lying in the middle of a green field and just watching the clouds on the sky.
Matsuri's moe -ness coupled with Mamiko Noto's voice for the character is inducing on me a sleepy effect. It is like a soothing sight that lulls me to become asleep.

In fact, I suggest watching the episodes on those spring or summer days when the sky is too clear, blue, and sunny. I get drowsy watching the episodes in those days but not due to boredom but because I feel there is magic in this series that triggers within me that effect.

Spoiler:

Judging by the opening it looks like there are only seven major characters interacting in the story. Matsuri, Yorito, Mana, Koyori, Aono, Mayuko, and the glasses man.
Recently, I have come with several anime to which I like both the opening and ending, and sola is not an exception.

There are other uncertainties and developments issued in the episode.
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 17:49   Link #364
shadowplay
passive observer

If Sola were a game now I'd probably go for Aono's path first, she seems like difficult character, then Koyori (hehe) > Matsuri > Mayuko...and CTRL treatment for Mana. Though with 12 episodes I'm guessing we'll probably only get Matsuri's path in anime, maybe not even fully done.
And Colorless Wind is my favorite OP song of the season too.
shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 18:22   Link #365
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
Er, she's not trying to get soda - Shiruko is a sweet red bean soup of some kind (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiruko). And it's possible that sola is a romanization equivalent of sora (which seems much more likely as the series is all about the sky >.>).

So your wordplay doesn't work at all
I'm behind the theory of a relationship with the Spanish meaning of the word sola, which is actually the feminine form of the adjective for alone. While many romanization liberties are known to be taken when Japs make their anime titles, misplacing an l for an r seems too big of a liberty to me.

Of course, I might just be biased in my approach since Spanish is my mother tongue

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 18:59   Link #366
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I'm behind the theory of a relationship with the Spanish meaning of the word sola, which is actually the feminine form of the adjective for alone. While many romanization liberties are known to be taken when Japs make their anime titles, misplacing an l for an r seems too big of a liberty to me.

Of course, I might just be biased in my approach since Spanish is my mother tongue

Uh, actually, the L sound doesn't technically exist in the Japanese tongue - it doubles up as Rs a lot of the time, and because of that, a lot of words (particularly names) are translated and retranslated with Ls and Rs by fansub groups (such as Levy/Revy from Black Lagoon, or Real/Lil/Ril/Lir/any variation in Ergo Proxy).

The only reason that a lot of subbers know when to use Ls instead of Rs are usually other sources, such as manga, that may write the katakana. However, romanization being an inaccurate practice in general, it's highly likely that the directors took the word for sky and romanized it how they wanted, possibly so that it's also a pun on the word "solar." But then, who knows what the creators thought without asking them?

Last edited by False Dawn; 2007-04-15 at 19:14. Reason: Edited to reduce likeliness of fail :D
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 19:17   Link #367
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Uh, actually, the L sound doesn't technically exist in the Japanese tongue - it doubles up as Rs a lot of the time, and because of that, a lot of words (particularly names) are translated and retranslated with Ls and Rs by fansub groups (such as Levy/Revy from Black Lagoon, or Real/Lil/Ril/Lir/any variation in Ergo Proxy).

The only reason that a lot of subbers know when to use Ls instead of Rs are usually other sources, such as manga, that may write the hirogana. However, romanization being an inaccurate practice in general, it's highly likely that the directors took the word for sky and romanized it how they wanted, possibly so that it's also a pun on the word "solar." But then, who knows what the creators thought without asking them?
Actually no, I already discussed it in this very thread, but there are things like the Hepburn standard romanization which back their choices on letters on some kind of basis, and the choice of an r isn't arbitrary--the Japanese r sound is much more similar to most (if not all) European languages' r sound than to an l other than English, which has a really weird r sound, at least by European standards.

Old 2007-04-15, 19:33   Link #368
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

I said it was possible, not that it was actually the case. After all, doesn't it seem weird to use the word "sola" for a series primarily concerned with the sky, romanized as "sora." I'd say it'd be more likely (i.e. not cold hard fact ) for those two words to be linked than for it to be the Spanish for "alone."
Old 2007-04-15, 19:35   Link #369
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Oh, and reading your post better, katakana doesn't actually do anything to point out if it should be either an L or an R. It's just hiragana written in another fashion.

Old 2007-04-15, 19:42   Link #370
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Souka? I have to admit that I cannot read any Japanese language form, so I wouldn't really know, though I was under the impression that European names are usually written as katakana - and if the katakana didn't show that there were Ls, then how did the weird R sound you were talking about come about? Simply through listening to names?

I'd imagine you know more about that than me, but if katakana truly doesn't point out when Ls are used, then I'm pretty amazed any names with R or L in get subbed right
Old 2007-04-15, 20:03   Link #371
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
and if the katakana didn't show that there were Ls, then how did the weird R sound you were talking about come about? Simply through listening to names?
Yes, that was what I was referring to, phonetically speaking, the Japanese R/L sound is much, much closer to an R than to an L, even when within the language itself there's no difference between them. When you do an adaptation to a latin-based language, you need to adapt Japanese phonetics to your system of writing (thus making a decision between R/L based on how it phonetically sounds), and so do Japanese when they adapt other languages to their writing: they adapt the phonetics to it.

Quote:
I'd imagine you know more about that than me, but if katakana truly doesn't point out when Ls are used, then I'm pretty amazed any names with R or L in get subbed right
Actually, until the people responsible for scriptwriting officially announce in romaji the names, fansubbers are found blindfolded, and may only base themselves in what they hear (or read in katakana) and their intuition. Often, names are quite easy to spot, but many other times (like the protagonist in Ergo Proxy), until you get an official licensed release, you won't be able to get the true (?) name. In fact, in the Ergo Proxy fansubbing, I remember at least 4 different names being used by 4 different fansub groups. Heck, I don't even know what her westernized name is, since I've never watched the DVD release.

PS: Oh, and just to clear something else, phonetically speaking, in all languages, R's and L's aren't very far apart. Puerto Ricans, for example, when they speak in Spanish, they switch the R's for L's.

Old 2007-04-15, 20:36   Link #372
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberOptiC View Post
If you all are referring to the warning message that pops up I can answer to that. 1, we at lunar and I doubt most of the groups out there actually do the capture of the video. The person that captures the raw we use apparently messed up and got some error message. Now, if that's our fault... I'd like an explanation of that. I decided instead of butchering the video trying to remove it, or splicing that part in from a different raw, we would translate the error message for you. I personally thought it was pretty funny. Is that shooting myself in the foot? As for the size, I decided to up the filesize to get as much bitrate as I could. There are lots of dark scenes and the more bitrate I can give it will prevent blocking. As far as the mkv being smaller, its encoded in x264, you don't need as big of a file to get as good or better quality. Now, who ever it was that decided to come to our board and spam it up with "are you retarded" posts, please go shoot yourself in the foot.
...for the record, that wasn't me. I only went to your IRC board, asked around if anyone would talk to me, and I left when no one seemed to want to.

But anyway, that explains it. Would have been better if you guys explained it at the start, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowplay View Post
If Sola were a game now I'd probably go for Aono's path first, she seems like difficult character, then Koyori (hehe) > Matsuri > Mayuko...and CTRL treatment for Mana. Though with 12 episodes I'm guessing we'll probably only get Matsuri's path in anime, maybe not even fully done.
And Colorless Wind is my favorite OP song of the season too.
*coughsister%&#$ercough* J/K
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 20:42   Link #373
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
*coughsister%&#$ercough* J/K
Considering that the anime has been released before the game, it's quite probable that the game won't get the H-treatment.

Old 2007-04-15, 20:43   Link #374
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
Considering that the anime has been released before the game, it's quite probable that the game won't get the H-treatment.
Can't I throw a facetious remark out of my ass these days without someone trying to analyse my horseshit?
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 20:57   Link #375
Ashlotte
Clockwork

Wow you guys are still talking about the title.

Aha well I meant to post after seeing the first episode but I kinda forgot...But after watching the second one now I gotta say im loving the pace and the feel of the show. Im still trying to not picture yakumo everytime matsuri speaks, but even with that slight problem I still love her voice.

Kindof a shame to me if this is only gonna be 13 episodes, but I guess that ill keep the pace going smoothly.

No matter what enemy. No matter what ally. Mowing everything down with maximum destructive power.

That is...

"The White Devil of the Administration Bureau"
Ashlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 21:00   Link #376
fiberOptiC
LunarAnime video wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
...for the record, that wasn't me. I only went to your IRC board, asked around if anyone would talk to me, and I left when no one seemed to want to.

But anyway, that explains it. Would have been better if you guys explained it at the start, though.
That was not a personal attack against anyone here in particular. Most likely it wasn't any of you that did it. I'm just not sure what the big deal here is.

Quote:
It is your fault because you were aware of the problem and did nothing about it except TL it for "cheek". You didn't fix the problem, rather GIGGLE GIGGLE'ed at it. You are further at fault for using a piece of crap oversharpened SuperPAL raw. It doesn't compress well because it's so LOL-sharp.
It seems some people from akeep still hold a hatred against lunar and anyone from lunar for a reason that escapes me. If you wish to have a civilized discussion about aspects of the show, by all means I'm waiting. Sharpness has nothing to do with compressibility. In fact, the raw we used was a very good raw minus the warning message at the end. That is why we chose to use it. If you wish to discuss specific encoding issues, I would be willing to take this to private since it seems utterly pointless to be included in the thread.
fiberOptiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 21:05   Link #377
TigerII
Pilot in Training

I have never played the game, but I am gonna call the end right now.

Spoiler for :
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-15, 21:07   Link #378
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I have never played the game, but I am gonna call the end right now.
Game's not even out yet.

Quote:
Can't I throw a facetious remark out of my ass these days without someone trying to analyse my horseshit?
No

Remember you did the same when someone summarized the show to Kaioshin-kun.

Old 2007-04-15, 21:07   Link #379
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There IS no game (yet)... the game/manga/anime are being produced concurrently - so no one knows how this is going to end outside of the writers.

People ought to read a few pages back before re-asking recent questions, eh?
Old 2007-04-15, 21:08   Link #380
TigerII
Pilot in Training

O, well I didn't know just saw people talking. But anyways, yeah. I still feel that this is gonna be how it ends.

Also, when she said you will learn to hate me, is she a form of death? Like the Grim Reaper? I know no one knows, but did anyone else think this?
TigerII is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bishoujo, drama, nomad, romance, seinen, supernatural