AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Old 2004-01-13, 11:25   Link #21
BME
Belldandy Fanboy

Location: Stockholm, Sweden, Where Polar bears roam the streets
At first I didn't think I´d like it, but it got better around 10 minutes, I´ll give this anime a few episodes to develop. But... it´s and all girls school! Where are the guys? The Ecchi! the sexy misunderstandings!?

anyways, what really got my attention here was their noses, they seemed differnt from all other anime I´ve seen.
BME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 12:20   Link #22
Lambda

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambda
Interesting. I've been curious to see something like this (ie. the sort of thing Utena's not) for some time now, looks promising from the first episode.
Huh? I thought this anime is so much like Utena?
Subtleties of the English language at work. Yes, it's very much like Utena, since what Utena does (in one way at least) is to model itself on this particular subgenre, and then start screwing around with it, like changing psychological duels into physical ones and so forth. In this case, "the sort of thing Utena's not" is actually more about their similarities than their differences, because it's a modification of the phrase "the sort of thing Utena is", which is the real point being made, but is inaccurate, because of how Utena treats the genre. So that phrase gets modified, to indicate understanding of this sort of thing being the "base model" for Utena, not its true complete nature.
Lambda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 12:38   Link #23
u&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BME
anyways, what really got my attention here was their noses, they seemed differnt from all other anime I´ve seen.
Not different only BIGGER! Watch Miteru and something 80's style like Miyuki one after the other. The difference in nose styles freaks me out .
u&t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 13:05   Link #24
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm`
Eeeek! What ever happend to spoiler tags?
That information is listed on the official site for the anime. It's intended to be common knowledge as far as I'm concerned.

Spoiler:
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 14:42   Link #25
Kurara
Ningyou Hime

Send a message via ICQ to Kurara Send a message via AIM to Kurara Send a message via MSN to Kurara
I really don't know what I think so far. ^^;;; The graphics are very cute.. But it was so weird. At first, I thought it would be an anime about religion.. So I almost backed off. But then I realized there was a lot of.. "Yuri tension" o.o;; .. Since there's a lot of yaoi anime, I think it's interesting to see a yuri anime for once.

Yeah, it does seem similar to Utena at first glance... But to be honest.. ^^;; Even if it's a typical shoujo anime... After all the dating game anime and shonen anime that I've watched last session.. This should be a nice break. ^^;;
Kurara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 17:23   Link #26
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Seen ep1 and liked it, waiting for the ep2. At first I was confused with all the french words, watch it a second time and finally understood how the system thing worked I think lol. I do hope we get to see some girl-girl relationships

Last edited by Keitarou20; 2004-01-13 at 18:36.
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-13, 18:29   Link #27
Key Board
Carbon

The White Rose order seems dangerous.

Its Rosa seems to be the sneakiest among the other roses, and her souer seems awfully smart.
Old 2004-01-13, 21:58   Link #28
manpurse
Goldstar gun.

Aw, quit whining. I, for one, am estactic to see a distinct lack of fanservice. Besides, the all-girl school setting is always fun--I love shoujo (and shounen) ai! <3

Like someone mentioned earlier, this reeks of Oniisama E... (Brother, Dear Brother). Unlike them, however, I enjoyed that series despite its age and melodramatic tone. I'm interested in seeing how similar the two series are.

The French throws me, though--I'm in Spanish II, so I have NO knowledge of the language. Gyah.
manpurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 00:21   Link #29
Tsubomi Koneko

Send a message via AIM to Tsubomi Koneko Send a message via MSN to Tsubomi Koneko
Hmm I think I might check this out just cause I'm out of things to try.
Tsubomi Koneko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 17:04   Link #30
Lanthis
Nen Addict

Was I the only one who thought this show was horrible? I had to strain to watch it, and it wasn't because part of the show was en français. I just thought the entire premise was horrible.

It doesn't have anything going for it, and by anything I mean no:

mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, love, comedy, action
Lanthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 17:17   Link #31
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanthis
Was I the only one who thought this show was horrible? I had to strain to watch it, and it wasn't because part of the show was en français. I just thought the entire premise was horrible.

Oh, I guess this show is the kind of very "subtle" type. If you are looking for the "obvious" things and get to the point right the way, then it is not for you.

I am glad that I sat throgh the first ep. I am now really looking forward the release of the 2nd ep. I am interested in, I don't know, everything? I wonder who is going to win the bet, what relatiohship between all those student council members is and Yumi, of course, what Yumi is going to do in this whole situation, etc.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 18:12   Link #32
marin

Quote:

It has low-key Yuri going for it.
marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-14, 23:43   Link #33
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Was I the only one who thought this show was horrible?
Are you trying to convince other people it's horrible? It's fine if you don't like it but why not just say so?
Quote:
I had to strain to watch it, and it wasn't because part of the show was en français. I just thought the entire premise was horrible.
There is already information on the web in English about this show. You might have saved time and effort by checking there before downloading the episode.
Quote:
It doesn't have anything going for it, and by anything I mean no: mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, love, comedy, action
No mystery??? huh. I certainly have a lot of questions after seeing just one episode. I am sure you are mistaken about there being no love in this series as well. Maybe if you keep watching you will find some new things to watch for in a show.

I am really glad to see so much interest in this series. Although some people are kind of cross about the comparisons to Utena I must say that this series looks like it will inspire the kind of loyalty that Utena enjoyed. I hope to see some great fansites.

I enjoyed the relationships among the senior girls and the potential relationships with the new girls. There were details as to the inner nature of the characters which interested me. I look for great scenes more than anything in a show, and I loved the middle bit regarding Sachiko and Yumi.

I like the formality of the setting and the way it contrasts with the strong emotions of the characters. The visual style pays tribute to older anime stylings (like the title page and the painted look). The music was perfect.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-04-22 at 01:52.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 11:52   Link #34
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
It has low-key Yuri going for it.

Ummm.... can you explain what "low-key Yuri" is?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 12:06   Link #35
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

I'm actually shocked that to (some) of you people see this as "yuri." I would imagine this would be similar to a sister-sister relationship in what you guys call "sororities" (but then again, I can be wrong, so if I am, I apologize).
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 12:24   Link #36
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
Ummm.... can you explain what "low-key Yuri" is?
Sure:

Yaoi - Love between men
Yuri - Love between women

Therefore "Low Key Yuri" roughly equals "suggested relationships of an intimate level between women"
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 15:02   Link #37
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
I'm actually shocked that to (some) of you people see this as "yuri." I would imagine this would be similar to a sister-sister relationship in what you guys call "sororities" (but then again, I can be wrong, so if I am, I apologize).
It's intended to have a subtext, and it's noticible.

I recommend you to visit some Japanese Mari-mite fansites. You'll notice that the majority of the fandom acknowledge the subtext.
Old 2004-01-15, 16:02   Link #38
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board
It's intended to have a subtext, and it's noticible.

I recommend you to visit some Japanese Mari-mite fansites. You'll notice that the majority of the fandom acknowledge the subtext.
Okay, I should've mentioned first that I personally don't understand "yuri" or "bara." Is same sex-relationships that "wrong" that it has to be generalized into "yuri" or "bara" category (I wouldn't say "wrong" but its sorta hard to explain...)? I guess this is the kind of personal thought that I dare to say in public in Japan as to risk social banishment. But, since this is a non-Japanese board, I am relieved at least I can freely express my thoughts.

So technically, when I watch anime that majority sees as being "yuri" or "bara" (i.e.: Shoujo Kakumei Utena, etc.) I tend to think otherwise. Perhaps I see same-sex romance as no difference from a romantic relationship btwn opposite sexes. Probably that is why I don't sense a "feel" that "mein gott! this is yuri!" or "oy vey! this is bara!" To me, its all a beautiful budding relationship.

But you do make a good point. I actually started reading the novel as this story seems interesting. However maybe it's my personal indifference to "seeing" what "constitutes yuri and/or bara" that I fail to recognize these subtexts. To me, its all a beautiful relationship that I wish to cheer them on.

I guess my paraphrasal here wasn't all too direct.
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-15, 16:34   Link #39
Key Board
Carbon

Labeling has always and will always exist.

Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's just for utilitarian purposes.

Sometimes it's just casual, sometimes people make a big deal out of it, and sometimes people perceive other people as making a big deal out it.

But to answer your question: the "yuri labelling" probably comes from the considerable amount of Lily related imaginary.

Regardless, I hope this anime reaches at least 24 episodes, which seems likely judging from the sheer number of novels.
Old 2004-01-15, 17:47   Link #40
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980
Perhaps I see same-sex romance as no difference from a romantic relationship btwn opposite sexes. Probably that is why I don't sense a "feel" that "mein gott! this is yuri!" or "oy vey! this is bara!" To me, its all a beautiful budding relationship.
I will watch this show to enjoy the relationships. That's what I always want to see in anime. I share your point of view. But I think people learn it from life experience.

People who have same-sex relationships are aware that very few shows portray life the way they see it or live it. So it is very important to them to be able to point to a show like this.

This is true of some of the people who are fansubbing this series. And for these people it is OK that other people watch it for their own reasons. But they want the labels all the same.

Another thing about the labelling is that non-Japanese people who are interested in Japanese language and/or culture want to show that they know the Japanese names for things.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote