AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-04-09, 07:39   Link #21
^_^

It's good to have choices ne?
Old 2004-04-09, 08:39   Link #22
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_^
It's good to have choices ne?
A new AJ? This is hardly a choice, just more waste in fansubs. Then again, fansubers are one of the most in-efficient things out there. And if you want to be a choice, why miss lines and release in 24 hours? Ill stop now so this doesnt get read as anything but "constructive" criticism.
Old 2004-04-09, 09:08   Link #23
Lucier
Lunar Translator

^_^... I don't really *care* where you came from actually..
I was just letting people know that many of your members came from AJ, not that you *are* AJ...

Oh, and you said you're not doing this for recognition... and won't do fancy credits/karoke...
If you're not doing it for recognition, why are you putting *ANY* credits in at all?
If you put credits in, you're doing it for recognition... pure and simple... especially individual credits, which I am *ENTIRELY* opposed to...
To each his own, of course, as always... but if you're putting credits in, PLEASE don't claim you're not doing it for recognition... because if you really didn't want recognition, you could care less about credits =p

(sorry everyone else lol... touchy point for me..)
Old 2004-04-09, 09:12   Link #24
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorfl
That's not what I heard. I heard a lot of the translations were iffy, they left some of the dialogue untranslated and they completely ignored the op/ed and previews. Come to think of it, that sounds exactly like AJ...

No, not really, AJ's bad reputation originates from their quirky translations of GitS (but then again, GitS is about as hard as it can get in fansubbing business) and their lightning-fast fansubbing jobs, which are viewed as rushed and inferior but nowadays such claims are unjustified and false. They have become a whole lot better and are no longer what they once were, or what people tried to make them anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerattacks
Sorry, but if there are groups like triad, a-e etc. out there, why ^_^ ?
Sorry, but i think this part wasn't necessary at all. I mean just think about it, sometime in the future there there might as well be posts like: We have groups like ^_^, so why should we go for XX-Group
I don't know, i just think that statements like "x is better than y, while it is not as good as z" are just a waste of time, since all of those groups deserve our RESPECT for what they are doing for free.

Now, what i would like to know, is there another way to say ^_^? Like "Smile-Fansubs" or "Laughing-Fansubs" or whatnot?
Old 2004-04-09, 09:14   Link #25
Jump

Geesh, you guys are being a little TOO harsh on ^_^. The only thing I don't like about them is their name It's too inconvinent to type, and no way to shorten it.

I watched Midori no Hibi by them, it was terrible. But as you can see above, the group apologized for it and gave a valid reason. Also, they did not release it 24 hours within release, they released it almost three days after it got aired.

I watched Ragnorak, and as far as translation goes, it was superb. Everything else is extra. Of course, it doesn't mean you should pick them over a group that has just-as-good translation AND karaoke/effects/etc, but you guys are being a little TOO harsh
Old 2004-04-09, 09:28   Link #26
Ferret593151903
Rumina-Kun

Send a message via AIM to Ferret593151903 Send a message via MSN to Ferret593151903
You know, I here alot of people talk about why fansub groups are bad and all that jazz. If you don't like it, don't download it. Don't come to forums bashing fansub groups. You people need to be put in your place that don't do anything anyways. Some groups are better than other groups. Some groups can improve. As for the whole AJ sucks thing. I personally don't download many of their releases, but I have before. I checked a few out to see if what people said was true, keep in mind this was recent, and saw that the episode was just fine.

As the former Project leader for Darkanime, it was not easy at all getting things done fast and with good quality. Some people liked our releases, some didn't. If yall don't like ^_^ then don't watch them. I watched the Ragnorok episode and thought it was great. But that's all I have for those who bitch. Well done ^_^ and keep things going.
Old 2004-04-09, 10:04   Link #27
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump
Geesh, you guys are being a little TOO harsh on ^_^. The only thing I don't like about them is their name It's too inconvinent to type, and no way to shorten it.
Yes, I don't like it either. ^_^ is an emoticon I like to abuse.

Anyways, ^_^ if you aren't made of AJ members, why do you need to hide behind that ^_^ name?

Last edited by JAppi; 2004-04-09 at 11:08.
Old 2004-04-09, 11:10   Link #28
Gold_Rogers
Famous Dead Pirate

I suspected something when AJ stopped releasing for a long time, and now that they announced that they have disbanded (along with Lucier's post) I know where at least some of AJ's staff has gone.

That being said, I think people are way too harsh on fansub groups in general. Sure, I'm not against complaining about things if you didn't like them, like the fonts or the timing, or noticable errors or lack of karaoke and/or effects. However, I do not thing it is right to TOTALLY put down groups or write them off, or even make scathing personal insults about the members. If you don't like their stuff just don't download it. No need to troll around and post negative things about the group every chance you get, or flood their channel, or whatever else people do to put down groups they hate.

I've watched some AJ subs because they were easily available. Sure, they may not be the best subs, and sometimes I didn't like their typesetting. And I do think other groups are better. That doesn't mean I bash AJ every chance I get, and I still thank them for their work on the series that I did watch from them. The GITS:SAC incident was funny (and something that I show to people sometimes), but I don't think it was serious enough to just completely write off an entire group of fansubbers who are doing numerous projects.

Sure, there may be the question of ethics (fansubbing licensed titles, as well as using Korean TL scripts), but if that is what people don't like about them, I suggest people put more constructive effort into it by trying to talk to the group itself about such issues. If that's impossible, why not just chill? There are many things in this world that bother us, but that does not mean we should get annoyed or angry at everything that does. It's bad for your health ;P
Old 2004-04-09, 11:39   Link #29
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_^
As for karaoke goes... Due to popular demand we have decided to translate OP and ED songs from now on. However, we will not be using any special karaoke effects or any fancy effects for credits as we are not doing this for recognition like most other fansub groups.
Yes please do karaoke! I like to know what the song says and practice my Japanese. I don't need special effects, but I do like them because they look nice.

And please do the next episode previews as well. They can contain vital information or even character development, or they're just funny.
Old 2004-04-09, 12:58   Link #30
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
^_^..someone who cant install bitorrents properly
Old 2004-04-09, 13:12   Link #31
Bullsquat
Strange Love

I thought their work on Ragnarok is excellent. I'll continue to d/l from them for this series.
Old 2004-04-09, 13:14   Link #32
straw
(9 '')9 yami yami (9 '')9

Send a message via ICQ to straw
i also downloaded some ^_^ version's and i can only thank them for their job. cause i don't think that it was to bad at all , and i don't get why people cant stand the fact that there are new fansub groups or groups who are different then others... as a few people said, if you don't like them don't download it... no one force you to download something from ^_^ .

also about the name ^_^ . i like the name its funny and it's different and also cute. is there any rule that a fansub group have to chose a name that makes sence? let just do them as they want, no one is perfekt and we all started as noob, there are no reason to blame someone for subbing an anime...
Old 2004-04-09, 13:22   Link #33
Bullsquat
Strange Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by straw
i also downloaded some ^_^ version's and i can only thank them for their job. cause i don't think that it was to bad at all , and i don't get why people cant stand the fact that there are new fansub groups or groups who are different then others... as a few people said, if you don't like them don't download it... no one force you to download something from ^_^ .

also about the name ^_^ . i like the name its funny and it's different and also cute. is there any rule that a fansub group have to chose a name that makes sence? let just do them as they want, no one is perfekt and we all started as noob, there are no reason to blame someone for subbing an anime...
I agree.

And I hope you guys at ^_^ don't get discouraged. If you just up and quit, you'll find at least one dissapointed leecher. Keep up the good work on Ragnarok the animation.
Old 2004-04-09, 13:34   Link #34
sothis

i agree with others in the thread that ^_^ is quite possibly one of the poorest thought out, retarded names ever. ^_^ is used very often by fans for general chatting, and/or isn't even pronouncable. what do you expect people to call you, smiley face?

why not choose a name that actually has phonetic syllables and such?

don't get me wrong, thanks for subbing stuff, but the name really has to go.
Old 2004-04-09, 13:45   Link #35
DekaMaster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^_^
Midori no Hibi episode 1 was translated by someone (now fired) who is not as experienced in Japanese as he claimed he was.

Episode 1 contains a few translation errors and some misinterpreted lines. Aside from that, there are not that many mistakes in it.

As we are a new fansub group, we are still learning the ropes as we go along and ask for a little patience. As can be seen by our latest releases, they are translated by someone else who is fluent in japanese and our quality has been improving.

On behalf of ^_^ I would like to apologize if we have lost face or trust of the anime community. We will continue to do our best to subtitle anime in a prompt manner without sacrificing quality.

As for karaoke goes... Due to popular demand we have decided to translate OP and ED songs from now on. However, we will not be using any special karaoke effects or any fancy effects for credits as we are not doing this for recognition like most other fansub groups.

As of now, we do not have an irc channel and we release strictly through bittorent. This however, may change in the near future depending on your and other fans needs.

Thanks ^_^

PS. We are NOT AJ! Grrr to whoever said that!

~ ^_^

If you add credits at all you are wanting people to see who you are fancy effects or not. And You saying "most othe fansub groups" add credits and karaoke effects for "recognition" where the hell do you get off saying that? maybe some groups like to put a little effort in and make the karaoke look nice. Most groups go low key on their credits. And as far as I go if people put work into a fansub they should put their credit on it. It's not that big a deal. If you don't want to "be like other groups" don't do any credits at all.
Old 2004-04-09, 13:56   Link #36
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sothis
what do you expect people to call you, smiley face?
I saw another member calling them "Emoticon." Works for me.
Old 2004-04-09, 13:58   Link #37
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
i agree with others in the thread that ^_^ is quite possibly one of the poorest thought out, retarded names ever. ^_^ is used very often by fans for general chatting, and/or isn't even pronouncable. what do you expect people to call you, smiley face?

Maybe we could call them karat underscore karat?
Old 2004-04-09, 14:05   Link #38
bobofet
Blue Pheasant

to ^_^:

enjoyed your work. I've seen alot of hate on this board by ppl bashing you but quite frankly I think by doing speed subbing you get my vote over other groups. Seriously, who the hell cares about a couple of mistranslated lines here and there. As long as you can understand it and most of it is on track, ok! but there will always be some perfectionists out there who are like: oh that line wasn't right, oh ur song didnt have karaoke, blah blha. To those i say, pff. there are many ppl like me who prefer to see weekly timed, fast releases and appreciate the work.

with that said I think the next episode preview should really be subbed. the op/ed karaoke i can live without, but the preview must be there, its what keeps ppl scrolling past the credits.

keep up the work. Speed + 90% accuracy >>> Slow +100% accuracy+karaoke crap
Old 2004-04-09, 14:05   Link #39
straw
(9 '')9 yami yami (9 '')9

Send a message via ICQ to straw
Quote:

i'm sorry but why has it to go? just cause you don't like it? so if i say that i don't like your nickname, cause it reminds me of my ex bf , and its not not a good name , can i say then you have to change that name?

i believe that people or fansub groups or whatever, can call theyself or give themself the name that they want if there not breakin' the rules ore insulting someone with that name...

if they like the name , then is there free right to choose them, i really hope that dont change their name cause some people have problems with the name... if i would have problem or blame everybody like the most of the people do here, for every little thing that i doesn't liked or think that's a bad idea... poor world then...

so just let them do as they want, ignore them if you don't like the name or they work... is that so a big deal? and looking back to some othere posts i think the answer might be yes, and thats the only poorest and retard thing
Old 2004-04-09, 14:10   Link #40
Za Paper

I dont know where people found huge chucks of untranslated text but as long as ^_^ do shows that no one else does I'll keep downloading them.

Maybe we can call them kuk (karat underscore karat)

Last edited by Za Paper; 2004-04-09 at 15:25.
Closed Thread