AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2003-12-08, 18:42   Link #21
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

I'm currently awaiting ep9 also, although the animation is kinda weird it makes up for its story.
Old 2003-12-08, 19:22   Link #22
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
I have been watching this anime as well. I can't say that i am addicted, but i really do like this show. Funny how this show and Planetes are not watched very much. People i guess like their same old shows. I do agree that the animation could be of a higher quality, on the otherhand i love the character designs, it reminds me of Blood the Last Vampire.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 19:39   Link #23
linuxguru

Same here. I think this show is best described as Japanese Gothic; "characterized by gloom and mystery and the grotesque."

It's not surprising it hasn't found a large audience. These kind of shows have never done well over here (which probably dooms any R1 release) and the character designs take a bit of getting used to. However, they fit the atmosphere of the show perfectly along with the splendid acting and music.

My thanks to the fansubbers for making this show available.
linuxguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-08, 23:13   Link #24
quiet insanity

I think the story is great. Always seems to keep it interesting. But I gotta say, the animation is terrible.
quiet insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 03:02   Link #25
whatever123

Send a message via MSN to whatever123
i like this show even though i was surprised when i heard the name gilgamesh i thought that it would be some mythology but i enjoyed the show nice story very dark and the characters fit in great in the story
Old 2003-12-09, 04:55   Link #26
Yellat

Send a message via AIM to Yellat
as everyone above seems to say the animation is odd, i dont find it terribly bad personally. i also think it fits the story in a way.
Yellat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 10:14   Link #27
Hao Asakura
Newbie arimasen

Not sure whether I sure post a comment here or not, since I don't really like this series but it doesn't meant I'm going to start a flame here
To be honest, whenever I watched any Gilgamesh episodes I almost fell asleep everytime halfway the movie. It seems like the story doesn't go anywhere and the movie is always dark which makes it really hard to watch. Dark story don't always have to be shown in dark background.
I just hope it gonna get better with ep 9 and so on. Otherwise, i'll discontinue getting this series.
Hao Asakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-09, 10:30   Link #28
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

A lot of people did try to watch this series when it came out. But after seeing a few episodes, I guess most of them dropped it. I saw 3 episodes and the show just didn't fascinate me. I like dark animes but this could have been better like the way Tsukihime is. Hao is right about falling asleep when he's watching this show coz it happened to me. I think the character design is original and didn't mind them at all.
Gaara11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-11, 04:45   Link #29
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

HOLY CRAP!!!! Episode 9 was GREAT!!!! Each episode is better than the last- Im really curious to know how long this series is going to be. This episode really opened things up and introduced some new characters- sorry tsukihime- this one takes the award for my favorite of the season!!!
wsheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-11, 11:01   Link #30
NenMaster

i like this anime, i like how the animation is diffrent and the story is good, still need to watch ep 9 :P
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-12, 19:20   Link #31
Sanjiyan
Flag Supporter

Not an addict but still like to watch it. The first 3 episodes, I was having a hardtime staying awake and find the animation difficult to watch but after that, it just makes me more curious and I also got used to the animation style. Also I begin to like the Opening song after hearing it for the 8th times. Unfortunately can't find any of its songs yet. :-(
Sanjiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 17:23   Link #32
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Was is just me or was episode nine was actually quite good! I'm glad they got rid of the sister (for the moment at least) as it was kinda a bit too angsty and I felt the earlier episodes kept retreading the same elements over and over again.
I also like the way we dont know yet what the countess' true motives are and therefore what "side" she is really on in the grander scheme of things...
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-14, 20:59   Link #33
Mephisto03
セスラハニカ

At first I thought it was kinda wierd but kept downloading the eps anyways just to watch it, and now I need my damn gilgamesh. The sotry got alot better and so did the action I guess you can say.
Mephisto03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-18, 15:56   Link #34
Sau
The 1st Jokage

ep 11 is out, we are learning more about TwinX ... this anime is really good..
Sau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-22, 22:55   Link #35
lynne_huang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau
ep 11 is out, we are learning more about TwinX ... this anime is really good..
Agreed! although the animation style is somewhat debatable.. the storyline's really pretty good!

if im not wrong, the recurring theme we hear throughout the anime (eg. end of ep 11) is taken from the opening of the 2nd movement of Beethoven's 5th Piano Concerto. its also commonly known as the 'Emperor' Concerto. maybe that has something to do w Gilgamesh, since he was some mythological god-king i.e. emperor? i wonder if that has any hidden meaning, or do you guys think its just a random thing?

any thoughts?
lynne_huang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 12:17   Link #36
Grenadier
Timer/Typesetter

Send a message via ICQ to Grenadier Send a message via AIM to Grenadier Send a message via MSN to Grenadier Send a message via Yahoo to Grenadier
Hmmm...

I kept downloading Gilgamesh as it came out up to episode 6, but I never really watched it and I eventually deleted it. For some reason it just failed to grab my attention like other shows like Stellvia and Naruto did. But that's just me.
Grenadier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 12:21   Link #37
Anlushac11

Cool

I didnt like it when it first came out but decided to give it one more try, then just one more try, then next thing I knew I was hooked.

It has grown to be one of the ones I really like.
Anlushac11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 14:24   Link #38
abubo

I do like Gilgamesh... Can't say I'm hooked but I do watch it every week.

The animation is what gets me. Not the style; I liked the style. It's the animation technique I'm having problem with.

I think in order to cut cost they've selected a bad outsourcing animation outfit. Usually the animation's outsourced to Korean shops but I saw that Gilgamesh is outsourced to a Chinese animation outfit. I've never seen that before so It must be done for cost saving purposes. Nothing against Chinese animators but I think the lack of experience is showing in the anime; some motions are jerky and unatural, and the awkwardness often pull you out of the story.

I think in the future these new outsourcing places will get better, but right now I think they have a lot of work to do. Seemed that Gilgamesh isn't important enough to warrent more quality work; what a shame.

For those of you who can read Kanji, the name of the outsourcing firm can be found in the credits.
abubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 17:07   Link #39
jir0
grumpiest when sleepy

I've only seen the first episode of this show, I find it to be really boring, slow, awkward and chaotic...sorry for a lack of better words, the music and the dark overtones didn't exactly appeal to me either. But I'm considering giving it a second chance after having read this forum...ah, i'm too easily persuaded these days.
jir0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-23, 18:22   Link #40
Xiandu
Destroyer of the God Deus

Send a message via AIM to Xiandu
Yeah the story does start very slow, but I like story driven things be it books, games, or movies. However the action has definitely picked up and the story has engagingly deep. I am really liking this show and I am really glad i stayed with it.

The animation is guhy at times but I really like the designs. Just wish better animation could go with it.

Getting to the bottom of what really happened when Twin X happened is really getting me hooked on this series even more.
Xiandu is offline   Reply With Quote