AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Music

Notices

Old 2004-01-29, 11:08   Link #21
megazone23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboz
Oh ya, Eyes on Me. It slipped my mind, probably because it was released only in the game soundtrack. But don't mind me asking because I'm not living in the west, is Faye Wong quite well known outside the gaming community?
In the west, not really... except for people who used to live somewhere in Asia (mainly China/HK I guess) who immigrated over to the west. Aside from those people, I don't think there's much of a 'fanbase' here. Of course, this is only an impression that I get. (Of course, I can't say for the whole N.America because I'm living in a, I would say, half Asian-populated area... and I still get that impression)
megazone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 01:12   Link #22
ugupoo
多谢你爱我.... *キッス!* ^_~

Quote:
Oh ya, Eyes on Me. It slipped my mind, probably because it was released only in the game soundtrack. But don't mind me asking because I'm not living in the west, is Faye Wong quite well known outside the gaming community?
Faye Wong is quite popular a few years ago. Have to like her Red Bean song, so she's very well known outside of the gaming community. She also schooled in California for some time and occasionaly stops by Las Vegas for concerts, but I haven't been keeping track of the Chinese music scene so I'm not sure what's going on now. But if my memory doesn't elude me... I think she's dating Nicholas Tse still? Most of us Chinese (or first generations) will recognize Faye Wong instantly... I'm not sure about the Americanized asians though.
ugupoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 12:50   Link #23
Tboz

Yeah... she's still dating Nicholas Tse, with a child in toll. She just released a new Mandarin album too and one of the song was written by Nicholas for her. I like the title track To Love, it has a touch of Arabian music and complements the techno beat nicely.

I am more interested if she's known in the west actually, not including those of chinese origins and those that knew her through Eyes On Me. I think you all might have heard of Coco Lee though. If I recall correctly, she did release an English album there.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 13:52   Link #24
ZhouYu
^im with stupid

Quote:
Yeah... she's still dating Nicholas Tse, with a child in toll. She just released a new Mandarin album too and one of the song was written by Nicholas for her. I like the title track To Love, it has a touch of Arabian music and complements the techno beat nicely.

I am more interested if she's known in the west actually, not including those of chinese origins and those that knew her through Eyes On Me. I think you all might have heard of Coco Lee though. If I recall correctly, she did release an English album there.

they broke up like 1-2months ago...
ZhouYu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-31, 19:19   Link #25
Tboz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZhouYu
they broke up like 1-2months ago...
Oh... did they?

I probably missed the news in the papers. Sorry for giving dated information.
Old 2004-01-31, 21:38   Link #26
ugupoo
多谢你爱我.... *キッス!* ^_~

No... Faye Wong wouldn't be recognized in the States that well. Once again, by asians... but not by whites or hispanics and that sort. Coco Lee on the other hand, people knew her better after Crouching Tiger.

Asian artists just don't make it big here despite how popular they may be elsewhere. Chow Yun Fat for example. Couple American films yet still quite a little chick compared to the other hens. Just lets you know how open our country is to other cultures.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hikki doesn't make it big if she releases an album in the States. Kelly Clarkson... big in American Idol. Great voice great control and simply spectacular singer, but still can't compare to the likes of Britney or Justin.

I think to make it big in the media here in the States, you'd have to be a trend starter.
Old 2004-02-01, 22:48   Link #27
Chiaki Nozomi
Indie Director

Send a message via AIM to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via MSN to Chiaki Nozomi Send a message via Yahoo to Chiaki Nozomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugupoo
Coco Lee on the other hand, people knew her better after Crouching Tiger.

Just lets you know how open our country is to other cultures.

I think to make it big in the media here in the States, you'd have to be a trend starter.
Most people I know haven't heard of Coco Lee, even after Crouching Tiger.

When a country thinks that a language consists of 'cheech chong chang bang', of course they're going to laugh at it. My family still does that to me, even though I've been listening to asian music for years.

Hikki's success really depends on what genre of music she does. Her pop style in Japan wouldn't even make the 200 here because of the retro and poor background. I seriously hope that the Neptunes don't produce any of her songs, because they were creative until every single song out on the radio was by them. If she does R&B, she won't make it because she's asian. If she does pop she won't make it unless she strips down to nothing and shakes her T&A at least once every five seconds in a desperate plea for attention. If she does rock, no one will take her seriously when they find out she's a pop idol in Japan. If she does Deep River style, she could find her niche on the VH1-esque market. I could easily see Deep River and Colors on VH1. (Although her division of Island Records is Pop, so I'm getting worried.... I wish they would put some freakin music samples on her HP!)

Brittney and Justin weren't 'trend starters'. (I did have a rant, but I censored myself because I'm not intimate with this forum's rules yet...) Like Japan, they have their own 'fangirls and fanboys'. If Hikki can get herself some, she'll be all over the place. While they are annoying and idiotic, never underestimate their buying power!
Chiaki Nozomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-02, 06:47   Link #28
Tboz

Chiaki Nozomi, your analysis seems right on the money and pretty bleak for Hikki. Let's hope she does better than that.

Anyway, what's with the "cheech chong chang bang"... the Chinese language doesn't sound like that, well maybe the Cantonese delect does.

And IMO, Hikki is too goody 2 shoes to be compared to Britney, it just don't feel right. A better comparison would be Jewel, both are talented, pretty and more conservative. Moreover, Britney and Justin are just erh... scandalous?

We don't hear Hikki announcing to the whole world that she's a virgin right?
Old 2004-02-03, 16:34   Link #29
ugupoo
多谢你爱我.... *キッス!* ^_~

Cantonese doesn't even sound like that either. What I meant by "people know her better after Crouching Tiger" didn't necessarily address the Non-Asian population. It may be surprising, but there are some Asians who didn't even know Coco Lee was that big until they became curious as to who sang the song for that movie.

She did become quite noticeable in the American entertainment market though. E! had her as a guest several times on Wild On! Especially the episode with Cindy Taylor and the spoof of Iron Chef they made.

As for Britney and Justin, I did not explicitly say they were trend starters. I was comparing them to Kelly Clarkson, who's still fairly a newcomer to the scene (which in this case implies Hikki's initial stardom if she were to debut [again] here in the States).

However, Britney and Justin are quite the so-called trend starters. They may not have made a profound effect but they still did have a role in turning pop singers into sex icons. If anything, Justin was the pretty boy in all of boyband groups and now he's stressing the "it's okay for me to date older women and have sex." Britney was once cute school girl ala "Baby Hit Me One More Time" and then she became more scantily dressed (which Christina later had to pull a dirrrty move to get back into full momentum).

Besides, if you have fanboys and fangirls, you know you started a fad some time some where.