AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-03-05, 11:25   Link #21
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

For the record, my CG remark was a joke towards Kaoishin, considering he's probably this forum's #1 mecha fanboy (even bigger than I am) and I thought I marked it properly with a XD.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 11:36   Link #22
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Has anyone noticed the large number of shoujo shows (and not to mention shows with a lot of bishounens plus one actual full length shounen-ai series) coming for Spring? With that in mind the only shows I'm definitely checking out are Code Geass season2 and Soul Eater.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 12:53   Link #23
cerrian

Quote:
Itazura na Kiss

...The story spans over 10 years where we see their relationship slowly development despite their many differences and romantic hurdles...
This caught my eye. It suggests that there is potential for some solid character development.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 14:12   Link #24
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post

That said, who tf is Anya? Been a while since I saw CG, so isn't she a new character? As such, I don't think I'll hear much of Goto Yuko. Then again, I'm wondering what she's doing in CG when IMO she ain't that versatile of an actress, and that her place should be in 'moe' shows lol.

And speaking of actresses, my favourite, Nakahara Mai, is seemingly absent in a starring role this season. GRRR!
On the contrary, Yuko Goto is quite versatile, being able to play mature older characters right down to squeak-tans like Mikuru. She's got excellent pitch and tone control and is fastly become one of my faves. Though for this outing she is playing a kind of loli looking character. You'll just have to see who Anya is for youreself. She's on the series homepage.

Anyway I even have mecha fanboy in my Public Profile so.....

@7th: Wow that's a "Jason" if I ever saw one on this forum. Oh well, just keep in mind there are those who like it a lot as well and don't feel it was an awful trainwreck.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 14:42   Link #25
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
@7th: Wow that's a "Jason" if I ever saw one on this forum. Oh well, just keep in mind there are those who like it a lot as well and don't feel it was an awful trainwreck.
Calm down, brother. Calm down.

And there's a better way to define Geass's "trainwreck", as there's a literary term for it.

Climax – the “high point” of a work of fiction, where the conflict is resolved; more commonly referred to as “when the shit hits the fan”.

Edit: I clicked the link to Geass website and passed out.

Last edited by DJ_RockmanX; 2008-03-05 at 15:04.
DJ_RockmanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 14:53   Link #26
Trogdor Jube
Back at it again

Code Geass R2 if an absoloute.

And whenever the 3rd season of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni comes out.
Old 2008-03-05, 15:13   Link #27
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
My interests lies in:

- Golgo 13; just so I can have my old school GAR fix.

- Saint Seiya: It may have everything people may hate about shonen tropes, it won't stop me from watching it for I fucking loved it as a kid.

- Allison to Lillia: Madhouse! Mamiko Noto! Nana Mizuki! Kouichi Yamadera! Retro-sci-fi derivated from WWII! Airplanes! What can I not love?

- Soul Eater: It is BONES. My worries is that it could be less than expected as it was the case for Darker Than Black. Darker than Black was good but not enough to be the memorable kind or pantheon worthy like FMA.

- Nijuu Menzou Musume: Again Bones. The question is... Will it be the Cat's Eyes and Lupin III-like thief anime I missed for so long?

- S-A ~Special-A~: As much as I am cautious when Gonzo is involved. Its collaboration with AIC (Seto no Hanayome) has turned out good. I hope they can do it again.

- Itazura na Kiss: How will they pull this development over a 10 years span? I'd love to see it. It's kinda loltastic to know that the male lead is voiced by School Days Makoto.

- Kanokon: It will be a guilty pleasure!

- To Love Ru: Another guilty pleasure! I love the Kentaro Yabuki draw girls.

- Code Geass 2: It has good characters, but the storytelling made the story flow as badly as a thai B-soap opera, jumping from one topic to another, pulling twists or shock scenes for the sake of shock. How people can call it masterful writing is beyond me. But, I am willing to give the second season a try and see if they can improve, or jump another shark.

Quote:

If you actually bothered to read his critic of Geass in the final impressions thread, you may have seen some very valid points he raised.

PS: Did "pulling a Jason" have become the convenient way to dismiss one's opinion regardless his critics has a valid basis or something?

Last edited by Sheba; 2008-03-05 at 15:29.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 16:02   Link #28
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
whoua another season of da capo coming soon, and i though at the end of the first one they had finnally gotten ride of the annoying little punk sakura... how can they lengthen the story anymore i m amazed.

this spring beside golgo13 there is nothing that i m really interrested in.
there is also macross frontier but i m afraid they blew the whole budget on the first episode or that the quality will drop through the show.
and last there is code geass but from what i read in the geass boards i have some high doubts about the show and how they ll handle the story as well as the change in airingtime, there would be nothing worst than geass loosing it s atmosphere just to become politically correct in order to suit the mass.

a lot of people have talked about haruhi S2, well i m really dubious about the relevance of such a show concidering the first season was extremely well handle and that the mysterie around haruhi has been unravelled, the story is finished rending a sequel pointless. i do not read the light novels so i dont know what happens in there and that what my judgement is based on. i am convinced that the first season is a whole and doesnt requiere a sequel. imo it can only go lower in quality
D a m i e n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 16:05   Link #29
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n View Post
a lot of people have talked about haruhi S2, well i m really dubious about the relevance of such a show concidering the first season was extremely well handle and that the mysterie around haruhi has been unravelled. btw i do not read the light novels so i dont know what happens in there and that what my judgement is based on. i am convinced that the first season is a whole qnd doesnt requiere a sequel. imo it can only go lower in quality
Well there's the downside in not reading the novels. For me it went up in being interesting (Yuki = awesome). But we're still not gonna get it anytime soon. Not until Kyoto Animation actually makes an announcement regarding when the show is going to air.

Old 2008-03-05, 16:14   Link #30
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
So far though, KyoAni haven't skipped a season yet. After Kanon it was immediately Lucky Star then Clannad, so there has to be something next season for sure.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 16:20   Link #31
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Wow...too many choices

I guess I'll follow my old routine and give what appeals at least a 1 ep trial to see whether it's worth the time :3

Seems like there are lots of "fighters" and romances...hmm...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Deathkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 16:27   Link #32
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post

If you actually bothered to read his critic of Geass in the final impressions thread, you may have seen some very valid points he raised.

PS: Did "pulling a Jason" have become the convenient way to dismiss one's opinion regardless his critics has a valid basis or something?
Spoiler for Pulling A Jason Definition:

You know I don't like being like that, but at times I just get fed up with some people I see as stubborn. It even happens with my closest friend.

Anyway, I also don't know why people keep saying I'm dismissing everybody's points on a whim this week. You know, I'm trying to make it quite clear that I am acknowledging them, disagreeing at times and moving on. If people want to start another debate then they'll have to make a thread on their own as I want no part right now.
Old 2008-03-05, 16:52   Link #33
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

@Kaioshin, here's the critique on "probably one of the most blatantly obvious train-wrecks of bad writing in the history of serial visual narrative production", which can also be read as "Why Code Geass Sucked", as cited by Sheba.

http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...14#post1215214

I'm still not buying it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
When you side with the "Sunrise trainwreck meme", it is almost a fact that you're going to make an enemy of Kaioshin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
So far though, KyoAni haven't skipped a season yet. After Kanon it was immediately Lucky Star then Clannad, so there has to be something next season for sure.
That wasn't KyoAni's style back before the Haruhi juggernaut. Something tells me they need a break after Clannad.

Old 2008-03-05, 17:18   Link #34
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

hmmm well looking forward to

Soul Eater

Special A

To Love Ru

never seen Code Geass but it seems popular, maybe I should get round to checking that out.

I should really do some more digging for some other series but can't be arsed atm
Old 2008-03-05, 18:20   Link #35
qtipbrit
Buddhajew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
@Kaioshin, here's the critique on "probably one of the most blatantly obvious train-wrecks of bad writing in the history of serial visual narrative production", which can also be read as "Why Code Geass Sucked", as cited by Sheba.

That wasn't KyoAni's style back before the Haruhi juggernaut. Something tells me they need a break after Clannad.
Yeah, over two years (Jan '05 - Jan'07), they produced Air, FMP! TSR, Haruhi, and half of Kanon for a startling 53 total episodes, with at least a whole season's break between each.

I was aware that they were rumours, and I even thought that KyoAni would probably take a break following Clannad, but I still hoped for it.

Also, I actually partially agree with 7Th, it was obviously one of the largest trainwrecks I've ever witnessed (and am actually quite proud to have), but it was still a good series. I would say probably 8/10 in my book.
Commenting on the epic 24/25 episode: though it was terribly written and extremely random, with an amazing cliffhanger, I must say that it will draw viewers to its second season. Honestly, one could easily watch Haruhi's first, love it, and not watch its second, but after a cliffhanger like that, everyone wants to know what happens.
On the flipside, a lot of people will be watching the second season out of obligation (me included.), and though it will have many viewers that way, its ratings will probably be much lower, especially based on the epic deus ex machina that was the R2 season trailer.
It's too early to say that Code Geass will probably fail, though I'm not expecting much so as to not be disappointed.
qtipbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 18:28   Link #36
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:

I'm still not buying it though.

When you side with the "Sunrise trainwreck meme", it is almost a fact that you're going to make an enemy of Kaioshin.

One man's opinion in that link and I think an isolated case. Doesn't bother me at all, never did, I just felt it sounded like a "Jason". I get the sense 7th watched the show and came up with his decision rather than the other way around though which means I can understand it a lot more. Episode 22 didn't do as much for me as it did for others either even if I still found it solid and an interesting twist. Trainwreck is not the word I would use to describe it though. To me that's an overwhelmingly negative term that states that one feels the plot is beyond redemption and going/gone absolutely nowhere, which is not at all what I see. I think people must have their own definition for the term though as I see it flung around so often these days when it seems more like an ultimate insult than anything.

Most people seem to be basing this whole trainwreck thing on episode 24/25, which apparently they see as a place where all current plotlines had to be tied up and as the end of a series. I never saw it as that and just felt they had to draw a clear break point between the first and second seasons, which I felt they did well enough. I mean it's really a matter of what you were expecting with 24/25. I'm used to 50 episode series so I just saw them as any other couple of episodes in a series that would be continuing onward after a break and potential timeskip. I guess other people are used to 13 episode series and wanted something more definitive. Considering I don't consider the first season a full series and it's only half (?) over, I don't see how it can be a trainwreck. Had that been the end of the series I would be screeching ripoff at the top of my lungs and would have probably given that version of the series a 4/10 or less, a much less generous score than others who call it a trainwreck did. To me calling a series a trainwreck and then scoring it anything higher than a 4 seems like a contradictory stance.

Anyway, the only thing else to do is just wait for it's second season (which I might add when I blog it you will see a Code Geass Episode 26) to come around to see how things pan out, which I am not watching out of obligation but out of continued interest in what I feel is a great story. The only thing I am worried about that I hope Anya turns out to be like I think she will. Will she make my list? Hmmmmm.....

As for Kyoto Animation, if they skip a season it's fine by me. Sometimes people need to take a break, especially when it's a small team like that. I don't really take much more than a passing interest in their shows anyway these days. I wonder if Clannad takes a break for a second season later on (which many people are now holding as the gospel truth) and it ends on a huge cliffhanger if people will call it a trainwreck though. I personally wouldn't since it wouldn't be over, but who knows these days.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2008-03-05 at 18:44.
Old 2008-03-05, 19:29   Link #37
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Too many "Huh, what's this..." type of shows.
Let's see...

Absolute, Definitely, Must:

Code Geass R2

---

Watch:

Allison & Lillia (Seems interesting, though the designs are iffy...)
Kanokon (No reason not to)
Nabari no Ou (Sounds too shounen/stereotypical, but let's see...)
Kamen no Maid Guy (Looking forward to this one! )
Da Crapo II Season II (Watching to finish, and to hope the series never gets another anime)
Wagaya no Oinari-sama (No reason not to)
To Love Ru (Reading the manga, nothing special, but it won't hurt to watch it... I think)
xxxHolic 2nd season (Yay! Another season of xxxHolic!)
Kure-nai (The designs actually scare me away, but let's see what we've got...)
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki (No idea what this is, but maybe it could be good.)

---

Maybe:

Soul Hunter (Er... Let's see...)
Nijuu Menzou Musume (............Strange...)
Itazura na Kiss (It's shoujo, but it seems to have potential...)

Rest goes to "Won't watch", though if it proves to be good and I like it, I might watch it.

As for Haruhi 2... *prays it stays in its hole and doesn't pop out*

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 19:46   Link #38
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Quote:
As for Kyoto Animation, if they skip a season it's fine by me. Sometimes people need to take a break, especially when it's a small team like that. I don't really take much more than a passing interest in their shows anyway these days. I wonder if Clannad takes a break for a second season later on (which many people are now holding as the gospel truth) and it ends on a huge cliffhanger if people will call it a trainwreck though. I personally wouldn't since it wouldn't be over, but who knows these days.
I laughed for quite a long while after contemplating how much truth there may actually be in the trainwreck statement for Clannad. I'm not gonna be one of those subscribing to that line of thought, but the ones to proclaim it will be out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
As for Haruhi 2... *prays it stays in its hole and doesn't pop out*
What does this mean I wonder...

Old 2008-03-05, 20:00   Link #39
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

Spoiler for Will follow through the whole season (well, hopefully):

Spoiler for The big list of maybes:
cicido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-05, 20:08   Link #40
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
What does this mean I wonder...
Ahahaha, a passing thought.
Just that the later the anime comes up, the more time I have to not see Haruhi's face... or Yuki's... or that guy who's not Kyon who's name I forgot... etc's face.
Kyon's is fine though.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote