AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Is fan service bothering you when watching an anime? (in non-ecchi titles)
I love it! Can't keep watching without it 7 10.94%
Not most of the times 7 10.94%
Half the times it is fine 22 34.38%
It lowers the true quality of a title just by being there 10 15.63%
It ruins all real enjoyment by focusing on pointless BS 9 14.06%
It really doesn't bother me at all 9 14.06%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-10-30, 15:39   Link #21
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

While I personally don't mind fanservice, it's not something that I watch anime for. Also, I dislike it when you have a well written, entertaining anime that you can't share with as many people as you'd like because of excessive amounts of fanservice. You know, like when you want to show it to a younger relative or something like that. In that way fanservice can limit the audience for some really good shows.
Old 2004-10-30, 15:41   Link #22
Spooky-Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGGY!!
It really depends on the anime and the situation.

I really really hate it when they delibrately do unnesscery upskirt pantie scenes when it's a serious moment.
Agreed. It depends. If an anime is a harem for example then sure fanservice would be expected.

But if you're watching Berserk for example do you want to see upskirt shots and women with GIGANTIC boobs bouncing around?

Though I still believe that series that have fanservice should use it sparingly. It can get annoying when overused.
Spooky-Electric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 16:47   Link #23
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

I hate it. It actually bars me from watching series that might otherwise be decent. I hate that producers think they have to appeal to our hormones rather than our intellect and emotions. The latter two also require a semi-artful writer. Fanservice can often be the mark that creativity is missing. Like others have said, if I wanted to drool over breasts and panties, I'd go for the real thing.
Old 2004-10-30, 17:36   Link #24
zappater
zapper

Why do everyone (almost everyone) seem to associate (sp?) fanservice with ecchi stuff?
Fanservice can be everything from a overdone and really nice explosion or a nice repeat of a favorite joke in the series to some ecchi stuff, but that does not mean it has to be some ecchi stuff.

My self i like fanservice as long as it doesn't get to much of it, 'cause then it just gets borring. But just one thing, fanservice is Good, fanservice is GOOD, fanservice is GOD!
zappater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-30, 19:41   Link #25
SlugZilla
woofles

I think fanservice is fine, I don't see a problem with it. Maybe it's because I've been reading manga all my life and I'm just not surprised or just don't notice it when I see it.

Anime/manga always had fan-service since the early days. Besides, you only see it a lot in comedies for the purpose of humor. Serious anime/manga tend to have less of that so I don't really see a problem.

Some anime just rely on pure fan-service like Ikkitousen, cause let's face it, some people get off on anime characters(whether it's right or wrong, that's another issue). If you're watching it cause you REALLY expect to see some serious fighting anime, then you should reconsider your options.
Most of these so called "fan-service" anime put in a shitty excuse of a plot, to justify their actions.
SlugZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-31, 12:02   Link #26
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Hmm... well Fan Service as a little add on into an anime could make it interesting and not too lame. Some innocent anime really boring, example: Sister Princess, despite having 12 girls, i can't see any Fan Service at all. As a result... is a dead boring show.

However if an anime is based totally on Fan Service then is rotten too...

So an anime IMHO is to have at least a little Fan service, alot is ok but not too much...

^_^

Utakata is another example of an fan service anime and there's still alot out there...
Yuun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 09:15   Link #27
Archuka
A territory most absolute

I don't mind it in certain types of comedy, but I hate it in pretty much everything else. It's fine for a serious show to have sexual scenes as long as they aren't made in "fan service style". For example, falling on a girls huge breasts in the middle of a serious scene in a serious anime = baaad.

In Interlude that one girl with the enormous breasts was slightly annoying, but even more annoying was the other girl in the bondage suit. They were so in the wrong anime.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 20:51   Link #28
omegastar

Quote:
Agreed. It depends. If an anime is a harem for example then sure fanservice would be expected.
Agreed. When it comes to comedy, I don't mind it at all, like Love Hina.

When it comes to serious anime, I dislike it, pretty much like elfen lied.

And when the plot is built around storyline... well, if you have seen Eiken you have seen the perfect example
omegastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-02, 21:31   Link #29
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

I will enjoy fan service anywhere, anytime, any place. Like in the middle of Gundam, two gundams are fighting and there's an explosion that blows the metal armor off a gundam and you can see its ichigo pantsu!! Or in Pokemon, Pikachu goes into the pokeball and Ashe takes a look inside in pokeball and sees Pikachu is changing its clothes and then pikachu is all like "pika iyaaaaa~! minai de! ecchi!"
ハアハア
H2-FumoGuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 04:18   Link #30
ShadowClone
Genin Featherweight

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowClone Send a message via Yahoo to ShadowClone
Fan service, to be "good", must ALWAYS appear WITHIN THE CONTEXT of the situation/scene taking place. As was mentioned, if it's for comedic purposes, then this is one of the way to elicit laughs from the viewer...HOWEVER, the "ecch-iness" must always "follow" from the "comedy" purpose the scene wants to convey.

"Bad" fan service is one without context, that just suddenly appears in a scene without a good reason/purpose to do so (i.e. serious anime, etc.), and is just "fan service" for the sake of itself.
ShadowClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 13:24   Link #31
choia

The only bad fan service is when they don't change the style of the panties from shot to shot (i.e., Najica).
choia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-03, 17:01   Link #32
blackflash
Cookie Monster

Send a message via MSN to blackflash
I think fan service in animes such as Love Hina and Mai Hime are ok, but when its in an anime such as Tenjou Tenge or Mouse where all the girls have EXTREMLY large breasts its just stupid.
Old 2004-11-05, 04:27   Link #33
DaFool
Resident devil

All ecchi is fanservice, but not all fanservice is ecchi.
Non-ecchi fanservice is rare, but they do exist (Crest of the Stars-scenes where Lafiel is embarrassed, Kurau-any scene with Christmas)

I like fanservice, whether it is just thrown in, a driving plot, and mostly if its a creative scene I have never scene before (example, Melody of Oblivion fanservice is understated but original in my opinion, hence good)

However, if it's just pure boobs and panties, like Tenjou Tenge or Agent Aika, then I can hardly bear to watch the show.

I never experienced fanservice ruining the mood of a show, because in general serious shows have less fanservice. Shows with cute girls, no matter how serious, are not THAT serious, thus I can expect some fanservice. That's why I wasn't surprised at Interlude fanservice. But if it were Monster, blatant in-your-face fanservice would make me go w.t.f. Nevertheless, there was fanservice even there, in the episode Nina Fortner met the small Nazi guy. It seemed like the animators took special care on drawing her pretty, even to the point that the rustle of her hair was realistic.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 21:04   Link #34
Zelgadis
aka. ZP

Send a message via MSN to Zelgadis
Limited fanservice is good, and is to be expected in anime. The fanservice could be a comedy scene, sexual overtures, common events, etc. Plus I am certain there is fanservice of one kind or another it is in almost every type of anime or for that matter animation out there. But good fanservice is tastefully done, and goes mostly unnoticed. I do find fanservice gets a little overboard in good series like Love Hina, Princess Walukure, Tenchi Muyo, and others where bath scenes are in multiple episode. But I get annoyed by anime that throws in shower scenes, upskirt scenes, etc for no reason but for fanservice. That kind of fanservice ruins good series.
Zelgadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 21:23   Link #35
fellorgrace

I don't care about the fanservice but I feel like too much of it is too tiring. See, they're there to spice up your viewing pleasure but sometimes it was pushed to the limits like showing real naked girls and "girl-bath-play" (girls playing with each other naked while taking their bath) Most of the girls I know who've seen fanservice doesn't feel offended at all. But maybe to the typical person out there, it could be.
fellorgrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 22:44   Link #36
Kanna
The Triad
*Fansubber

Fanservice is good for anime that has the intention of using it for comedy or for anime that just revolves around it.

And no, Eiken is not fanservice. Eiken is my circle geometry class gone wrong.

Personally, I think fanservice is a waste of animation time. Great! White panties, like I haven't seen those 38927 times already. All girl crotches in anime look the same when it's covered by white panties, whoop. Producers should spend more time making a story GOOD instead of putting useless shots of boobs every now and then. Boobs are good, yes, but let's leave that to the doujinshi artists.
Kanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 23:02   Link #37
The Yellow Dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanna
Personally, I think fanservice is a waste of animation time. Great! White panties, like I haven't seen those 38927 times already. All girl crotches in anime look the same when it's covered by white panties, whoop. Producers should spend more time making a story GOOD instead of putting useless shots of boobs every now and then. Boobs are good, yes, but let's leave that to the doujinshi artists.
I agree. Get with the program panties drawers! At least use some colors and put some furirusu on those pantsu.

Fanservice is good; it helps the millions of horny heterosexual male with 5-second-attention span like me to stay awake when watching an anime and not fall asleep or run for the nearest game console to relieve our boredom.

Vote for better pantyshots and boobshots! Viewers like us deserve it!
The Yellow Dwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-05, 23:18   Link #38
mintyfresh
Altoid

At the core of my being, I find fanservice shameless, annoying and unecessary. But then I remember that I'm a girl and that 75% of anime isn't really focused on how I think. So, on the outside, I have a better tolerance for it, and have grown to expect it in almost every highschool-based anime I see (after all, how can there not be "accidental sexiness" when the girls wear their skrts that short?). However, this doesn't change my opinion of it as a whole -- I still firmly believe that the less the fanservice, the better the anime.
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 05:15   Link #39
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Well, that depends on the show.

For example, Re: Cutie Honey has a lot of fan service, but it's executed very good and doesn't detract from the mood - it's part of it.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-06, 16:08   Link #40
Cornel

I guess an example of good fanservice is Ranma 1/2. There is a lot of reasons why going to some bath house is expected from its twisting plots. The unique and creative premise of the show can write some good bits for fanservice.
A series like Princess Sister is too weird. I also noticed that most of the shows of fanservice revolve around a guy who can't study and keeps failing to get to university, and maybe if I don't watch these shows I can ... wait, yeah, no need to really care what is happening to those types of characters and the shows they are involved in. I don't believe that you are a product of the shows you watch or the media you take, as I think that would limit your enjoyment of learning about some stories where the characters are educational as a way to learn from their mistakes.
But, as for not liking fanservice, I have other goals, like getting into a university.
Cornel is offline   Reply With Quote