AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2004-05-14, 13:11   Link #21
TechnoMage
Shoujo-Anime Member

I'm just a tad curious, but what is a "socially-acceptable manner" when it comes to fansub filenames? The chances of all groups using a generic format which everyone likes is 0%, and this thread has proven it, as I count 6 different naming formats mentioned here already. ^_^;;

Just to add, the name format I always use is:

[GroupTag]_Series_-_Episode_EpNumber.ext

Of course, this seems to not be an 'accepted' format, but it's the one I've come to like, and I've stuck to it for a few years now.
TechnoMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 14:29   Link #22
iluid

As long as the releasing group stays consistant through a series, there shouldn't be any problem with batch torrents, unless of course you rename them to a format you like better. From what I've seen the vast majority of groups are consistant through a series. If you have files named differently from the same group, they probably came from irc and were renamed by whoever was serving it or had underscores inserted by your irc client. There's just no way to prevent that.
Anyway, I think file naming is the absolute least important thing about a fansub, as long as I know what show and ep number it is I couldn't care less about the rest. Best format to me would probably be [group]_show_ep#.avi , just nice and simple.
iluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-14, 18:28   Link #23
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoMage
Just to add, the name format I always use is:

[GroupTag]_Series_-_Episode_EpNumber.ext
when I used to run distro for my group (back in the days) I stuck to renaming everything [GroupTag]_Series_-_epnumber_[CRC].ext ... I felt it was important to include the crc through from the encoder to the end distro points, so people could more easily trace where something got corrupted if something got corrupted (it happened a few times). I always found the word "Episode" to be a waste of space and added clutter. It's like saying "My oddlynamedessay document file.doc"
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 03:48   Link #24
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

What's a good CRC checker to use with anime and all?
Old 2004-05-16, 04:34   Link #25
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova
What's a good CRC checker to use with anime and all?
on windows machines, I've always used either mirc's built-in crc function (//echo $crc($sfile(c:\)) - and then browse to the file) or used quicksfv (google it).

mac and linux, cksfv or pure-sfv. if just trying to check a crc in the filename, cksfv is probably my personal preference on *nix.

there's a couple other decent ones around too.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 11:13   Link #26
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
I actually like the group tags to be first. I can keep the fansubbers consistantly.
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 22:12   Link #27
BTime

Much like a number of you, I prefer to list my anime as
[Group]_Series_Ep#_[TorrentID].avi

Such as;

[ANBU-AonE]_Naruto_79_[615804DB].avi
[A-E]_Midori_no_Hibi_-_Days_05.avi

While I would prefer the file without the underscores, can understand why they need to be there. Removing the "_" just looks cleaner

[Soldats] Tantei Gakuen Q - 18.avi

Some should be slightly edited for length for use when burning CD's (my wish list), though uncertain as to the number of characters allowed off the top o' me head.

Examples of lengthy titles;

[L-E&IDE]_Initial_D_Fourth_Stage_Ep_01_[5F261CC3].avi
[AonE-Onigiri]_Kono_Minikukumo_Utsukushii_Sekai_02_[350B1C79].avi

Often a simple removal of the TorrentID will do the trick, but not always.

Well that's my 2 bits..
BTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-16, 23:59   Link #28
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

I'd just like to say that when it comes to underscores, they are easily added/removed in batches with a decent file renamer utility (I use this one by Jim Willsher called "Bulk rename utility") with a decent regex replacement tool. Just *_* to * * or vica-verca and your done. It's really not that big a deal.

Actually, with this renamer you can do all kinds of neat tricks if you know how to use regular expressions well, like removing everything between [ ]'s, or anything else that can be done with regex (which is almost anything since it's nearly turing complete...)
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote