AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-17, 09:41   Link #21
Imaginer
WTFBBQ?

Well some things said by Gol Roger from the dub sample sounds too wordy IMO. And not to mention adding to the wordiness, Luffy saying "King of the Pirates" Rather than just "Pirate King" It is like they want to have the VAs say more than they should. Zoro's voice could be deeper as well as Luffy's but oh well... Not to mention the tempo of Luffy's speech does not sound right in some cases. (perhaps also due to compacting as much unecessary dialogue words as possible, WHICH I HATE)

In all fairness, I did expect this. But It sounds OK. If they left in all the good action scenes and have the dramatc pauses like it suppose to have (I.E. They dont add more dialogue inbetween the silence parts in the Japanese version) and they keep the personalities (THATS IMPORTANT) of the characaters, I would feel satisfied that the company did OK.

But I still would prefer the Japanses version!
Old 2004-08-17, 13:30   Link #22
SåßrêStrïké

Send a message via AIM to SåßrêStrïké
Well, I'm happy to see One Piece made it to the US, but I'm also sad to see 4Kids got the license. I can just see the 4Kids editing room floor littered with all the greatest scenes from the series. Hopefully, we'll see a changing of companies to a more adult genre, like they did with DragonBall Z. Otherwise, no one else will know the true joy of watching a REAL One Piece episode. I just hope they show at least a little blood.

And GAWD! Don't get me started on how I think the techniques will be worded.
Old 2004-08-17, 14:14   Link #23
davidlionheartZ

Red face uh quick question

how much really does licencing a anime costs?
Old 2004-08-17, 14:39   Link #24
Spyre
"Soon"

Geez guys, it wasnt that bad...

I mean come on, most of you will prefer the Japanese voices to ANY english voice anyway, so what difference does it make? Just buy the dvds and be happy.
Old 2004-08-17, 17:53   Link #25
eLstar
(^_^)v

No it was pretty bad. I used to watch CardCaptors by Nelavana and I never knew what the original was, and I thought the dubbing and everything was way bad. Even if I never saw One Piece subbed before, I still probably would've thought it seemed bad. The voices just don't seem to match in my opinion.
Old 2004-08-17, 19:03   Link #26
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Wow, that changed my impression on DragonBall seeing as I've only seen dubbed versions so far. Are there really people out there, evil enough to mess up a great series this much? I don't know if it's the voices or if it's how and what they say that's ruining it, but dubs by 4Kids definitely stink!
Old 2004-08-17, 19:15   Link #27
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
how much really does licencing a anime costs?
I'm given to understand that a typical series will go for low to mid 6 figures (that's something like 100k to 500k). One Piece, with it's existing length and merchandise and guaranteed popularity, probably ran closer to $10 mil for the license.
Old 2004-08-17, 22:46   Link #28
Gold_D_Roger
Manga Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
I'm given to understand that a typical series will go for low to mid 6 figures (that's something like 100k to 500k). One Piece, with it's existing length and merchandise and guaranteed popularity, probably ran closer to $10 mil for the license.
Well the guaranteed popularity's gona go down big time making one piece a kids show eh? I doubt it's gona be that popular considering that the anime's intended age group is way off from fox box's. Plus America's A LOT more strict about what to show to kids than Japan.
Old 2004-08-18, 00:08   Link #29
Prince of Chronics
One Piece fan

Despite all the blood/violence/etc... One Piece is a kid's show... it was intended for kids in Japan... the only difference with FoxBox's One Piece is that its intended for North American kids... the massive editing/censoring is to make it more plausible for the different standards in North American tv and to make the ever so concerned parents in America happy...
Old 2004-08-18, 02:03   Link #30
hooliganj
Team Player

Quote:
Well the guaranteed popularity's gona go down big time making one piece a kids show eh? I doubt it's gona be that popular considering that the anime's intended age group is way off from fox box's. Plus America's A LOT more strict about what to show to kids than Japan.
Believe me, it will still sell, just to a different crowd.

Besides, 4kids had to bid against at least Bandai and Funimation for the show, so the price reflects that popularity, even if 4kids wanted nothing to do with it. If another company would pay that much to sub the show for the hardcore fans, then they had to pay even more to get it for the wee little kiddies. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual figure was even higher.
Old 2004-08-18, 20:10   Link #31
Pepperidge
Dissatisfied Canadian

Send a message via AIM to Pepperidge Send a message via MSN to Pepperidge
You know, honestly I don't think we could possible expect Luffy's voice to be any better than that regardless of which company got it. I think he sounds fine.

What I am worried about, however, is the background music. If they keep the BGM, then I'll watch their dub. However, if they change it like they do for every single other one of their shows, I'm not even going to give it a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince of Chronics
they can hire some hobo off the streets to be the voice actor of Buggy the Clown and we can't do jack shit about it...
Well, they're in New York, so he'd have to be a union hobo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
and companys wonder why fans hate getting their favorite shows licensced sometimes!
No, I don't think they do.
Old 2004-08-18, 23:25   Link #32
ragweed
woah woah!

Quote:
What I am worried about, however, is the background music. If they keep the BGM, then I'll watch their dub. However, if they change it like they do for every single other one of their shows, I'm not even going to give it a chance.
I'm worried about the theme song. I saw clips of it in the preview but theres still a chance that it'll end up with the horrid 'clipshow' theme songs that haunt YGO and shaman king. Hopefully not. =D (I dont think anything needs to be edited out which could be why YGO and SK had to had their's redone)
Old 2004-08-19, 06:37   Link #33
Gmc

I already heard the dubbed intro ages ago...if that was the final one.

The actual music was the same, but the translated words sounded...wrong, lol.

I'm not impressed with Luffy or Zoro's voices at all...ergh, I'll stick to my subs thanks!
Old 2004-08-20, 15:10   Link #34
XenWarrior

Heh, very funny. It seems that 4kids will once again put out a great parody.
Old 2004-08-21, 01:32   Link #35
Gomu-Gomu-No-Luffy
Devil's Fruit

Send a message via MSN to Gomu-Gomu-No-Luffy
I'm probably considered a noob when it comes to anime, so heres a noob question.

when 4kids starts showing episodes on foxbox all the time,and releasing dvds and everything, is kaizoku going to stop fansubbing?

I personally love the japanese version of one piece, and if there are no more fansubbers for it, i will pray day and night until 4kids burns in hell.

i dont even get foxbox even if i did want to watch the show.
by the preview they had they just totally turned me away from the english version anyways.
Old 2004-08-21, 10:04   Link #36
pathyfinder
Terabyte needs anime!

*rocking in a tight ball in the closet hugging Chopper plushie*

Last edited by pathyfinder; 2004-08-21 at 10:15.
Old 2004-08-21, 15:47   Link #37
hooliganj
Team Player

I might get in trouble for replying, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomu-Gomu-No-Luffy
I'm probably considered a noob when it comes to anime, so heres a noob question.

when 4kids starts showing episodes on foxbox all the time,and releasing dvds and everything, is kaizoku going to stop fansubbing?
No that isn't actually a noob question at all. Unfortunately, the only people who know for sure will be at the Kaizoku forum, so I suggest asking there (check their threads out first, to see if it hasn't been answered already.)

If Funimation announces uncut DVDs for One Piece (cross fingers, knock on wood, do a silly dance), then Kaizoku should, and probably will, stop all work immediately. Otherwise, it's up in the air. Illegal as hell, but up in the air nonetheless.
Old 2004-08-21, 15:49   Link #38
veracromil

Send a message via AIM to veracromil
Even though i didn't watch one piece, i know Fox Kids/Box. They're gonna hack it to bits, just like Escaflowne . Even though the voices are trash and the violence is edited, we can still hope for a good translation.
Old 2004-08-21, 17:20   Link #39
Reinhardt

I cant wait to see Smoker, err Mr. Lollipop Man who can mysteriously control smoke and turn himself into vapour while sucking on lollipops. Also, will certain people be sent into another dimension ala DBZ instead of being killed, hah? Well alot of the villains that are defeated are shown later, but some of the storylines will really lose their dramatic effect by having no one die. Then again, since this is being uber kidified I doubt the storylines will remain in place anyway.

Regarding fansubbing, I dunno how fansubs would work even if uncut DVDs are announced. Funimation only releases 3 episodes per disc, so it would be about 35 DVDs before we are caught up to the current fansubs, and funimation is also HORRIBLE about releasing DVDs in the correct order... Releasing a disc every other month or every 1.5 months would be about 4-5 years before we are even caught up to the current fansubs and it hasnt even been announced yet... Even if they kept a 2 disc every 2 month schedule it would be 3 years to catch up. So I'd really hope they'd keep continuing, while removing all the older episodes off bittorrent/irc/etc.
Old 2004-08-21, 23:13   Link #40
Jackl

Quote:
Originally Posted by veracromil
Even though i didn't watch one piece, i know Fox Kids/Box. They're gonna hack it to bits, just like Escaflowne . Even though the voices are trash and the violence is edited, we can still hope for a good translation.

Like you all I'm in complete shock.

Anyway, the voices aren't bad. They're just godawful. No biggie.

But the violence? I just can't see how they can do it. Leave in some of the most emotional moving scenes of the series, but you piss of some conservative "save the kids" group. leave them out and you have a sterile piece of crap.

[Random spoilers ahead. You've been warned.]

I mean what happens if you take out the self-mulitlation and murder scene in the Arlong arc? You go from "Lets make those bastards pay!" to "Lets go beat up the bad guys, cause they're bad!"

Or the Doctors suicide? Hell I don't even want to see the ZorovsHawkeye episode, I can see it now [Insert random dubbing] "He hit him with the flat of his blade!"

Now I can't tell people what shows I watch.

Yea I watch one piece.
"What that one kids show? Aren't you alittle old for that?"
Sigh....
Closed Thread