AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-07-19, 10:16   Link #21
Wilcon

Send a message via ICQ to Wilcon Send a message via MSN to Wilcon
The most important factors(IMO) is the music, characters and story.
If the music is great, it gives you that wonderful feeling. The characters is a MUST to be good, otherwise I can't really enjoy the anime. Lastly, the story is an important thing, cause without a good plot I don't like it so much(In a comedy show, the story isn't as important as in a drama/romance or action etc), but it' still better to have a good story).

The animation can matter sometimes, but it must not be greatly detailed, it's just a matter of how it fit in.

Last edited by Wilcon; 2004-07-19 at 10:52.
Old 2004-07-19, 10:28   Link #22
7thMethuselah

Hmmm, it all depends, sometimes I absolutely love anime's which have lousy stories, sometimes not.

The thing I look for in anime is a relaxing entertainment, so fun is very important. This more or less means that :

The most important factor is without a doubt characters : There has to be one (or more) characters I can cheer for or that I like for a certain reason. If an anime has no cool/funny/cute/likeable/... characters, I can't watch it.

Animation : There is something of a minimum norm that I use, anything below that I refuse to watch, I'm probably missing out on some good anime's but if the art isn't watchable I don't care about it. Note that this is applied very loosely, sometimes I just have to get used to the art (Gilgamesh is a fine example of that, weird art but great show)

Story : depends, I love a great story but it isn't a must have to get an enjoyable anime, certain no-story-anime's are in fact the best i'v ever seen . I prefer a great plot but it's not needed, I wanna have fun or be able to relax.

Music : don't care one bit about it.

In short I am willing to give most anime's a chance if the animation is watchable, but after 3-4 episodes there must be something that appeals to me or I drop the series.
Old 2004-07-19, 10:36   Link #23
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
how we judge them

1. the plot has to be nice
2. characters must be attractive
3. pretty girls
4. more pretty girls
5. great soundtrack
6. If the series has echhi on their story , the BETTER
Old 2004-07-19, 11:10   Link #24
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
how we judge them

3. pretty girls
4. more pretty girls
5. great soundtrack
Lol Yamano that sure is an "interesting" way of looking at it

I fully AGREE on the ecchi part
Old 2004-07-19, 11:28   Link #25
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
how we judge them

3. pretty girls
4. more pretty girls
5. great soundtrack
lol and
7. If the series has hentai on their story , the BETTER
Old 2004-07-19, 12:01   Link #26
H2-FumoGuu
パンツ。。。好き

I judge the anime based on the genre or whatever I feel the anime is focusing on. If it's focused on comedy, I judge based on how funny the gags are. If it's fan service, the art is important. It's fighting, I judge on the art quality, the tension build up, and impact of action. etc etc.
Old 2004-07-19, 19:51   Link #27
babbito2k
annoying white bat

I would have to say that enjoying a series is what counts most of all, but not every show invites or rewards rewatching, and some give a better overall impression than others. For quite a few years I have had a good idea of what I am watching for.

Genre counts for a lot with me, at least before I see something. Shoujo anime is consistent in providing likable characters and focusing on relationships. Mahou shoujo is less reliable. Shoujo titles only make up a small portion of any given season, but I will always seek them out.

Likable characters are crucial to my enjoyment of any series. I don't necessarily identify with and do not wish to worship characters; I want to watch characters who seem fairly reasonable and kind, who want things which make sense to me and make some attempt to get those things.

I also expect to see some good scenes - some sequences in which character is concretely revealed. One occasional shortcoming of old-school or (separately) epic style anime is a sort of shorthand - something (usually a voiceover by a narrator) pointing out an emotional outcome, instead of the outcome being organically depicted within the scene. But there are plenty of other ways to fail to deliver good scenes, including repetition, exaggeration, or character gimmicks.

Character and scenes take precedence over plot. I am very often appalled by anime plots, even for shows I like very much, and I doubt that many series I dislike have plots which are any less appalling.

Verve and style in storytelling can carry the day even when the characters are poorly developed or the scenes are meager or miserly, but this is very rare - it is usually not necessary.

I appreciate quality in visual work, music and voice acting, but they are harder to quantify and none of these can overcome (for good or ill) the elements already mentioned.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-07-20 at 22:27.
Old 2004-07-20, 07:08   Link #28
Yuun
~Trying to Enjoy Life~

Send a message via MSN to Yuun
Well... I always think that 1st impression is always the best to picture an anime. Thus, whenever a new anime is out there, i'll take a look at the art and character design. If the girls are cute, guys are cool, then i'll take consideration into it.

2nd, i watch out for its story plot. Some anime with lousy character design but have a great story might catch my attention but rarely.

3rd, since i love romance stories. As long as an anime got romance in it... is my anime for the week....

4th, the seiyuu.... i love Seiyuu that suit the character in the anime unlike Conan whioch i personally thinks that Mouri has a very darn lousy seiyuu.

Overall... i'm more into character design, then i'll go for its story plot/line, after that i'll look for its main genre (Hunting for romance usually), Considering the seiyuu and observe the anime character.

After done with everything above that i mention, i'll take its musics or BGM into consideration to make a overall judgement.

Note: Initial D has the worst character design i've come to encounter though there's others that i rather forget. But still i'll give it 4/5 cause the story line and BGM really rocks.

Sister princess earn 4/5 from me though its story line sucks but thanks to it's cute character design and massive seiyuu yet famous in it.

Oh... if the anime got Ecchi or Hentai scene in it, i'll take that into consideration too, I really like a romance anime with a little Ecchi in it...of course the character design muct be good too. Luckily nowadays this kind of anime is all around.
Example: Konomini, Midori no Hibi, DearS, Girls Bravo, Cosmopolitan Prayers, Smash Hit, Love Love, & etc.

Well thats briefly how i judge an anime.... ^_^ Yoroshiku Gozaimasu~
Old 2004-07-20, 08:52   Link #29
UserName

Plot > Originality > Predictability > World > Characters > Animation > Music

If it was adapted from the manag, then the amount of fillers is very important. The less the better.

And Genre wise then Adventure / Comedy > Action > Sci Fi > ? > ? > ? > Romance / Drama.
Old 2004-07-21, 00:22   Link #30
Draikan7

for an anime to be exceptionally great, it has to have great characters and music. music just enhances some parts to be unforgettable and draws me in like no other.
Old 2004-07-26, 19:46   Link #31
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
WEll a simple minded person like me would say
1. Story " I rather like Sci-Fi like"
2. Artwork " I like Clear and Crisp "
3. Characters ( mostly the girls) ^_^ ha ha what can i say im a guy "# 1 1/2"
4. Details " MOST IMPORTANT " " since im picky "
#5. SUPER IMPORTANT " Great Opening and Ending songs "
Old 2004-07-26, 22:39   Link #32
fantD
³²¹¿Ðeath[§]

Send a message via AIM to fantD
If I start jumping scenes on the first episode because nothing happens, then I usually stop watching the series all together. There are cases where ill let it go into the 2nd episode for another chance. If it makes it past this, then ill generally watch the rest of the series.

Plot: By far the most important aspect of anime in my opinion so its really a matter of taste. Personally, I prefer the standard shounen (naruto, trigun, cowboy bebpop, etc...) but can tolerate some shoujo types. Harem is fine but only at small doses since their plot are too related.

Characters: Also pretty crucial to a good anime but not always eg..(eva). Strong leading characters tend to be more likable thus enjoyable. Sterotypical personalities detract alot from the anime if you've seen enough anime in your life to infer the similarties.

Music n sound: Sound usualy isn't an issue unless the voice casting is plain awful. Music on the other hand may vary. Some series tend to reuse the same songs over and over (xtv, fms). They key to good music is diversity so that a song could be used for any particular mood. Just go listen to noir's ost if you don't believe me.

Anyways, thats my opinion and excuse my spelling/grammar ;0
Old 2004-07-27, 08:40   Link #33
auriya

For me the most important thing is having likeable or intriguing characters. Animation and plot are next most important, then originality, and music comes last because really I don't notice it that much in most cases.

And I absolutely can't stand ecchi/fanservice/etc.
Old 2004-07-27, 18:27   Link #34
carloboy
K-F Distro Guy

Send a message via AIM to carloboy Send a message via Yahoo to carloboy
1. Enjoyment/Satisfaction
2. Story
3. Translation
4. Quality (drawing, characters, animation etc)
5. Quality of encode
Old 2004-07-27, 22:04   Link #35
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

I think this question could be better clarified for people on these boards by asking "what exactly do you enjoy in an anime?". I think most people judge an anime on how much we enjoy it, but why do we enjoy such and such an anime?

There are reasons. It seems to me that the only people that don't think that are the same people who's favourite anime are all from the past year or two, and happen to be on nearly every other casual fan's list of favourites, only to be forgotten or vilified a year or two later.
Old 2004-07-27, 22:37   Link #36
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
...It seems to me that the only people that don't think that are the same people who's favourite anime are all from the past year or two, and happen to be on nearly every other casual fan's list of favourites, only to be forgotten or vilified a year or two later.
Liking some show because lots of other people watch it and talk about it... well, that's a reason right there, isn't it. That's why some people title their threads stuff like "Who else is watching..." It's part of what makes forums tick, but not the best part.

Vilifying older series is more of the same. It doesn't really justify being a front-runner, but it seems to - and the fun of it is horning in about crappy old Show X with others.
Old 2004-07-27, 22:56   Link #37
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
Liking some show because lots of other people watch it and talk about it... well, that's a reason right there, isn't it. That's why some people title their threads stuff like "Who else is watching..." It's part of what makes forums tick, but not the best part.
Oh, definitely, but few people are willing to admit that is a reason, or even sometimes the sole reason they like a show.

Quote:
Vilifying older series is more of the same. It doesn't really justify being a front-runner, but it seems to - and the fun of it is horning in about crappy old Show X with others.
By that same token, few people are willing to admit that they loved that older show every bit as much as their current favourites for the exact same reason. They also deny that they will be among those villifying their current favourites the moment it's no longer chic to like that show.
Old 2004-07-28, 05:07   Link #38
Chronissz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radd
Oh, definitely, but few people are willing to admit that is a reason, or even sometimes the sole reason they like a show.

By that same token, few people are willing to admit that they loved that older show every bit as much as their current favourites for the exact same reason. They also deny that they will be among those villifying their current favourites the moment it's no longer chic to like that show.
NARUTO!

Just had to exclaim that

In a few years all the fanboys will be making fun of it...its a sad cycle.
Old 2004-07-29, 20:31   Link #39
Stofzuiger
Bubblewrap!!!

I don't think I've seen the word "voices" up here

Mostly, I can agree with most said here... I mean, i really think characters are important (for this reason, I hate uninhabited planet survival, the characters are just to steriotype... even I could think of them)

Story and animation come in next... but then come the voices... *insert dramatic tune*

Example: Try watching chobits episode 6 in english, after you've watched the first 5 in japanese... I mean... THE HORROR! Sorry, but I really, really REALLY hate that dub :fingers:

So, y'all should get my point by now... surprised though that noone mentioned this before... don't u guys care about this?
Old 2004-07-29, 20:50   Link #40
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stofzuiger
...I really think characters are important (for this reason, I hate uninhabited planet survival, the characters are just to steriotype... even I could think of them)...
I don't mean to take exception to your dislike of this show, but I would like to distinguish whatever it is you find important about characters from what I find important about them.

The characters in Uninhabited Planet Survive have been properly crafted. They have been shown to express themselves and their reaction to their situation. It is easy to see how their pasts have contributed to the way they see the world.

They have been shown trying to get along, and they continue to relate in a convincing fashion based on what has already taken place in the show. Not all the characters are eminently likable, but most of them are, and the ones who aren't likable are understandable.

To me, this sort of thing is much more important than whether or not the characters are "stereotypes." I don't think there are really that many different kind of characters in anime anyway...
Closed Thread