2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-01, 06:51   Link #21
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiDamien View Post
The first 15 +mins of the show was pretty hard to watch. Especially the exchange of words and actions between Grodek and that EFF commander. The atmosphere wasn't exciting and it was at times very bland. I know the writers/director wanted to make the short EFF vs Diva battle exciting by having counter tactics and the talk between both sides' commanders. But the talk was very bland and they're pretty lackluster. For example i take it that the writers wanted Grodek to be the cool-calculative-silent commander, but its really really hard to get to like that aspect of Grodek. Its like the writers are really really hard , but i just don't get the awesomeness they're trying to protray. There's also the part where the EFF's Genoaces' are pointing their puny outdated beam weapon at the Diva. And Woolf's getting all worked up, its kinda hilarious.
I agree. It's obvious they're trying to pull off a very tense scene, but instead it kept me going "get on with it already"! The pace was too slow, and the BGM with their slow beat worsens the whole thing. And, like you said, the conversation between Grodek and the other commander was, cliched and boring. Compared to past Gundam shows, like, say, between Sumeragi and Kati in 00 - it was just painful to watch. I couldn't wait for the episode to be over.

I'm hoping, praying, the second generation arc improves in terms of storytelling, at least.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 07:40   Link #22
aeriolewinters
Photomancy Experiments

That scene where Grodek and Choco-captain were reading each other's moves were like they were torn out of a Yu-Gi-Oh storyboard.
Old 2012-01-01, 08:17   Link #23
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Great episode ! I really like the battle bewteen Grodek and the EFF commander. It was well handled ! And the end : Yurin no !

9/10.
Old 2012-01-01, 08:42   Link #24
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by bio9205 View Post
I agree. It's obvious they're trying to pull off a very tense scene, but instead it kept me going "get on with it already"! The pace was too slow, and the BGM with their slow beat worsens the whole thing. And, like you said, the conversation between Grodek and the other commander was, cliched and boring.
Not to mention some outright cringe worthy words, "Brave mutineers"....Seriously?
Old 2012-01-01, 09:04   Link #25
solidvanz
Special Operative

Kinda late but 2ch thread: Link expired

Last edited by solidvanz; 2012-01-06 at 03:16.
solidvanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 09:24   Link #26
Vena
Carpe Diem

On the visual side (where I saw some QUALITY) the episode was actually pretty good and the battle was good for what it was and what we knew it was: a one sided, smack down. No one should have gone into this episode expecting there to be any trouble for a top-of-the-line battleship with the best suits in the show, to take down a crusty and dated EFF commander and lacky entourage. That being said, the dialogue, while revealing about Grodek's past some more and Flit's power, was a bit of a mince-meat special with threads and revelations flying all over but, many times, with no real need to be said. I'll chalk that up to the target audience because, by the trends of modern day, children these days are, if this episode is any indication, too stupid to understand what's going on unless told... which, for more adult viewers, probably will (and did in my case) lead to some moments of dialogue that were unnecessarily dense. Many things that could be inferred were, instead, said outright, causing a sense of redundancy that clarified less than it turned many moments into repetitive grinds. And, ultimately, as we expected Desil kidnapped Yurin, and that scene was actually done fairly well.

Still, though, this show shows promise but it seems that every time they get something right (or mostly right, like the battle this episode) they do something wrong (like our episode's heavy dialogue that really slowed the fight/episode to a drag).

Grodek is still the most interesting character in the show, and his previous profession is a nod to his abilities (I'm surprised they didn't spell this bit out as well). Pity he's definitely not going to survive this arc.
Old 2012-01-01, 12:45   Link #27
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Seeing Age-2 in the OP was nice. Nice plan again from Grodek. Still not good that even with the help of the federation ships they couldn't put a dent in the UE's ship. Poor Yurin. So Flit is turning into an X-Rounder.
Old 2012-01-01, 12:47   Link #28
larethian

Finally, the NewtypeX-Rounder debuts in AGE. Nice to see the captains brofist. So AGE uses 5 ship alliance rather than 3 ships

And why do people keep mistaking 2chan for 2ch to be the same when they are not? :/
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 17:26   Link #29
monster

The first half of the episode was actually better than I thought it was going to be, judging from the comments I see in this thread. The second half, on the other hand, had me chuckle a few times (probably for the wrong reasons too) and the battle scene wasn't all that noteworthy other than seeing Largan defeating one UE unit. And I'm glad we finally got a name for Flit's ability just so people will hopefully stop calling it Newtype (it's just a pet peeve of mine), although I don't particularly care for the name itself.

And finally, I can understand why Woolf would be worried about getting shot by the Genoace. First of all, he's inside the Diva, so it's possible that the shot could've damaged the Diva. And secondly, even if the armor of the G-Exes could've withstood the shot, which I'm not so sure about, the Genoace could've fired at his weapon.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 18:57   Link #30
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Another good ep to me. I enjoyed every minute. I didn't expect to see new UE warships, that was a nice surprise.

9/10
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 19:55   Link #31
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Little annoying bit: there's this noise that always plays during scenes involving the bridge of the Diva. It's like a cellphone ringing constantly for minutes on end and it feels as if it never stops...
Does anyone know which noise I mean? It's been in pretty much every episode so far, and it's threatening to give me a seizure or something, it's like nails on chalkboard, and it's driving me nuts!!! :S Seriously, composer?

The episode:

The good: I actually quite liked it. In the first half, although like some people said, the dialogue was sometimes a bit too dense for my taste, but improving on previous scenes like that.

The bad: They seem to be really going out of their way to make sure everyone knows who we're supposed to root for- "glorious mutineers", hahah.
I've never really enjoyed shows glorifying that kind of thing,or taking it lightly- so I'm not enjoying this angle, as I don't think it's executed well enough- even Seed did this better. If we're honest, unless I misunderstood, we've seen here that the Federation CAN when it wants, so the whole mutineering thing is just for Grodek's personal vendetta (and Flit's naive idealism. Or own grief with the UE, which ever)- and telling us how great and noble that is rubs me the wrong way.

Also, on a less important note: officially don't like Yurin anymore, she was too vanilla and flat the entire time (except her first episode), but adding the damsel in distress angle just killed it.
Orange-haired guy is annoying with the constant "I'm a weak grunt, but I can fight too, you just watch!"BLAH.

To sum up, the battle was a bit more engaging, I liked it, and we'll hopefully be getting to the good parts of this arc next week
Faerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 20:11   Link #32
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullFaerie View Post
Little annoying bit: there's this noise that always plays during scenes involving the bridge of the Diva. It's like a cellphone ringing constantly for minutes on end and it feels as if it never stops...
Does anyone know which noise I mean? It's been in pretty much every episode so far, and it's threatening to give me a seizure or something, it's like nails on chalkboard, and it's driving me nuts!!! :S Seriously, composer?
Most likely the humming of the bridges computers and technology.
Old 2012-01-01, 20:37   Link #33
kk2extreme
Your wife is hot...

Please don't make Yurin to pilot a giant MA
kk2extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 20:40   Link #34
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
Most likely the humming of the bridges computers and technology.
It might be, you mostly notice it in scenes involving the bridge, or during some tactical talk.
It's a repetitive ringing sound, kind of pulsating, and it's really horrible once you notice it.
That said, the composer doesn't seem to amount to much overall. Fire him
Old 2012-01-01, 20:41   Link #35
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

Quote:
It might be, you mostly notice it in scenes involving the bridge, or during some tactical talk.
It's a repetitive ringing sound, kind of pulsating, and it's really horrible once you notice it.
That said, the composer doesn't seem to amount to much overall. Fire him
I've noticed it since day one, doesn't bother me at all.

Oh, and that sound didn't come from the composer. The composer does the music for the series, not the special/sound effects. The sound is coming from another guy.
Old 2012-01-01, 20:55   Link #36
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
I thought the strategies were fine, but god they had to explain every single part of it. If that other guy wasn't so damn fond of his own voice (and chocolate) we could have wrapped this up a whole lot faster. Of course another problem was Woolf acting at all worried with that guy pointing the gun at him. My god it might chip the paint on his unit . Can those weak guns even break the Diva's windows?

Well at least they proved that someone besides Woolf and Flit can shoot down a UE unit. If they pass around the right weapons it at least evens things out a bit.
Old 2012-01-01, 20:59   Link #37
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
I thought the strategies were fine, but god they had to explain every single part of it. If that other guy wasn't so damn fond of his own voice (and chocolate) we could have wrapped this up a whole lot faster.

Well at least they proved that someone besides Woolf and Flit can shoot down a UE unit. If they pass around the right weapons it at least evens things out a bit.
The chocolate thing is overdone IMO but it's not a deal breaker for me.

These Darwin Class warships are quite heaviliy armed and armored compared to most other series from what I can recall. They have about 9 dual beam cannons and dozens of missile launchers. That and even after taking a beating from the UE barrages they are still standing. That is very unusual for a Gundam series where ships are made of paper

Good to see though that they are at least upgrading their arsenal to make their weapons more useful against the UE with the new Beam rifle for the Genoace and it seems the other suits will get them as well. At least they wouldn't be useless.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 21:00   Link #38
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

You're not the first to complain about that sensor sweep sound. I quite like it, and every time I hear it, I know I'm on the Diva's bridge. Not as nice as the Enterprise D's white noise, but it's distinctive enough.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-01, 21:07   Link #39
Faerie
Joseph Defense Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN0010 Nosferatu View Post
I've noticed it since day one, doesn't bother me at all.

Oh, and that sound didn't come from the composer. The composer does the music for the series, not the special/sound effects. The sound is coming from another guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist Classic
You're not the first to complain about that sensor sweep sound. I quite like it, and every time I hear it, I know I'm on the Diva's bridge. Not as nice as the Enterprise D's white noise, but it's distinctive enough.
Glad to hear it's not just me. It's funny how sounds affect people differently. I'm resistent to metal on metal, but this sound really gets to me for some reason.
From what I remember from Star Trek, I never had any complaints about their sound

Oh, you're right, Nosferatu- that was badly worded, should've said "the whole sound and music crew" or something, sorry. I was paying some attention to the score this week and noticed it's not up to snuff compared to it's predecessors, so I was thinking of the composer, but you're right, the sound guy is responsible for the ringing

But to be fair, I have high expectations for music, so it might not bother most people at all.

Btw, I was wondering, does anyone know what the budget for AGE is?
Old 2012-01-01, 21:24   Link #40
bio9205
Reborn

Quote:
Oh, I cannot agree more. I mentioned this in a post earlier in this thread. It's really getting on my nerves, I'm on the verge of screaming every time it plays.
bio9205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weekly episode discussion