AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Which one will you wanted to be?
A nice person 23 57.50%
A truthful person 17 42.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-12-02, 12:07   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I'mma just jump in here right now and give a little heads up about this thread - discussion is fine, but metaphysical, philological wrangling and sniping at one another will result in the thread being closed.

Am not accusing anyone of doing anything, mind you, just wanted to head things off at the pass as a "just in case". ^^
Old 2013-12-02, 13:17   Link #22
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Just about everybody lies sometimes. But most people will default to the truth if not given a good reason to lie (i.e. not wanting to offend another person, not wanting to get in trouble). It's a rare person who'll consistently suck it up and tell the truth even when doing so is probably disadvantageous. It's also a rare person who's a pathological lier who frequently lies when there's no good reason to.

So, when it comes to truthfulness, I think a solid majority of people are more or less on the same page - defaults to the truth, usually is truthful, only lies when its advantageous to do so. There is some variation here (i.e. some are more open to sharing controversial opinions than others are), but I think its not huge.

Niceness, in my experience, is much more variable. There's a lot of nasty, snarky people in the world, and truly caring and nice people are rarer than some may suspect, I think. So on the whole, I probably aim for niceness a bit moreso than truthfulness, since I think it's possible to have more of a positive impact that way.
Old 2013-12-02, 14:34   Link #23
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Then how do you know you are telling the truth? Perspective matters; even a fact can become opinion depending on views and endorsement.

That is why I highlighted cognitive dissonance - some people can convince themselves they are telling the truth. Especially people who have images to uphold, like religious leaders, stars, lawyers, politicians, etc.

They use the term "economical with truth". In their eyes, it contains truth, therefore it is true. I call it "bull minus shit" because with some "live-and-let-go", it can be taken as low-quality beef instead of bovine faeces. Though personal limit still stands; the speaker of such is one step closer to a 1x-good-one.
The way I see it, if being truthful means to not have the intent to mislead anyone with (mis)information, then it really has to do with what you know about the truth.

You can make an attempt at being truthful and still utter falsehood. It's called being wrong. That would include anyone who somehow managed to convince themselves that a particular information is the truth, whether or not it is the truth.

On the other hand, you can say the truth and still not be truthful if you knowingly withheld information that would cause someone to be mislead by what you say.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 15:40   Link #24
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Just to clear things up regarding the poll, I want to choose which would be better among the two, not that one is absolutely correct and the other isn't.

What important is how you defend it in your own way.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 18:17   Link #25
careph

Spoiler for philosophical rambling:

Personally, I place no importance in being truthful. Saying what I really believe and feel often caused disbelief and repulsion in others. As a result of being truthful, I was seen as an untrustworthy liar at best. Thus, and in order to induce a more favourable reaction, I turned to politeness and deceit. Ever since then, I am frequently complimented for being a straightforward, authentic and reliable person. So, "nice" it is.
careph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 18:32   Link #26
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
I'mma just jump in here right now and give a little heads up about this thread - discussion is fine, but metaphysical, philological wrangling and sniping at one another will result in the thread being closed.

Am not accusing anyone of doing anything, mind you, just wanted to head things off at the pass as a "just in case". ^^
You certainly try to be nice here
Old 2013-12-02, 18:57   Link #27
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
A nice person.

Because people always shoot down the messenger; too many are too weak to handle the truth anyways, thus it's wasted on them.

Also, because I'm an asshole.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 18:58   Link #28
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by careph View Post
Spoiler for philosophical rambling:

Personally, I place no importance in being truthful. Saying what I really believe and feel often caused disbelief and repulsion in others. As a result of being truthful, I was seen as an untrustworthy liar at best. Thus, and in order to induce a more favourable reaction, I turned to politeness and deceit. Ever since then, I am frequently complimented for being a straightforward, authentic and reliable person. So, "nice" it is.
I am more worried about the wrangling and sniping part, mind you. It is (generally) how you state the ideas, not the ideas themselves that I am keeping an eye on. Discussion is fine. Donning the cape of your super alter ego "Attitude Lad" or whatever and posting away like a rhino in a china shop is not. ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
You certainly try to be nice here
I was also being truthful in what I said, for the record.
Old 2013-12-02, 19:48   Link #29
monsta666

In my experience a person is who is more truthful than most is normally better than the one who appears nicer than most. Quite often if a person appears overly nice it is a sham or their is an ulterior motive behind the niceness. At least with honest people you know where you stand so that makes life less stressful. You do get some who use the truth as an excuse to be an ass but all things considered I think truthful people are the ones you want to associate with. They are the better option.

With that said it has got be recognised that you will not find a person who is 100% nice all the time nor will you find someone who is truthful all the time so a little leeway must be applied when answering this sort of question. What is the reason for asking this question if you don't mind me asking?
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 20:09   Link #30
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by monsta666 View Post
What is the reason for asking this question if you don't mind me asking?
To know one will choose and the reason behind it.

It's easy to claim that you can be truthful and at the same time nice, and being nice while being truthful as well. If that's the case, there is no point in asking this, coz you are either playing it safe or just avoiding the question cause you can't defend either which you have picked.

I was just wondering if you are asked to choose between the two and which you think is BETTER FOR YOU IYHO ( Imagine yourself in a beauty contest).

PS. You are not bad person which ever you choose.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 20:48   Link #31
weaponX
Designated facepalmer

I would choose to be a nice person...

I feel it just isn't practical to be truthful all the time.

If your girl asks you "Do I look fat in this outfit?" would you really want to answer that question? Jokes aside, life is full of such conundrums. There are many situations in which it is not advantageous nor desirable to say the truth. Be honest with yourself here.

And, there are times when times when it is better not to tell the truth to some people. Some people deserve better (Dark Knight reference).

The world would be a much better place if everyone was nice to each other. However, the world would not necessarily be a better place if everyone told the truth. In fact, it could get downright ugly.

Do not worry about the truth, the truth tends to itself...
misery no more.”
Proverbs 31: 6-7MyAnimeList
weaponX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-02, 21:23   Link #32
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Frankly, a subtle man would never speak out the whole truth. For example, my mother when she was asked about an song, she answered:

"Oh, the silence part is so great! It woke me up immidiately!"

... And the truth, it suck. The most important is To be Honest with yourself. Or, as one of my grandfathers who is a Monk said: "Let's your eyes open before the moving world, but don't judge."
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 14:15   Link #33
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaponX View Post
If your girl asks you "Do I look fat in this outfit?" would you really want to answer that question? Jokes aside, life is full of such conundrums. There are many situations in which it is not advantageous nor desirable to say the truth. Be honest with yourself here.
So that's what's getting me into hot water every time?

Careph has the most realistic point though
Your opinion will never be valued if you tell the truth, only if you say what people want to hear
Old 2013-12-03, 16:34   Link #34
monsta666

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoemiChan View Post
PS. You are not bad person which ever you choose.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my last post but my choice would be to pick the truthful person. The reason I would pick truthful people is because on the whole I feel dealing with such people makes your life more easy. If they like you great but if not then you know where you stand. Things are out in the open and there would be no bad talking in the background whilst putting on a "nice" appearance.
monsta666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 18:47   Link #35
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
If niceness is excluded from truthfulness, I'd rather be truthful because I can still be respectful. Besides, how do you manage to be abrasive with a truthfully positive statement?
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 19:56   Link #36
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akito Kinomoto View Post
Besides, how do you manage to be abrasive with a truthfully positive statement?
Because being truthfull doesn't work one-way, withholding the negative truth means you're not telling the truth
Then you are actually disrespectfull by not telling the entire truth
( Facebook would have a hell of a lot more integrity if it also sported an "I dislike this" button, but apparently,
people don't like being told that their actions or words are not recieved positively)

and more often then not, the 'abrasive' part is felt by the reciever, not the one stating it, how positive it may be
Old 2013-12-03, 21:05   Link #37
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightbat® View Post
Because being truthfull doesn't work one-way, withholding the negative truth means you're not telling the truth
Then you are actually disrespectfull by not telling the entire truth
( Facebook would have a hell of a lot more integrity if it also sported an "I dislike this" button, but apparently,
people don't like being told that their actions or words are not recieved positively)

and more often then not, the 'abrasive' part is felt by the reciever, not the one stating it, how positive it may be
If I'm praising someone on a well-done essay, speech, project, gameplay, ect., the overall sentiment is positive. If I had to be (overall) negative, I try not to be abrasive.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 21:51   Link #38
Nightbat®
Deadpan Snarker

Oh well, still doesn't change the fact that being truthfull includes the negatives

And on that note I voted for option #2
I have no problem being the bastard coated bastard with bastard filling
..it enables me to keep looking in my eyes in front of the mirror
Old 2013-12-03, 21:53   Link #39
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

The second option should be "honest" instead of "truthful". It is speaking about what you feel, not highly proven perspectives because you may not know wholly about it.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 21:53   Link #40
monster

On that note, I don't think being truthful/honest negates the need for tact.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote