AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

View Poll Results: Who has the Power of Angst?
Uzumaki Naruto 3 4.55%
Uchiha Sasuke 39 59.09%
Hyuuga Neji 5 7.58%
Sabaku no Gaara 9 13.64%
Rock Lee 1 1.52%
Haku 0 0%
Tsunade-sama 1 1.52%
Hyuuga Hinata 2 3.03%
Hatake Kakashi 1 1.52%
Someone else 5 7.58%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-07-05, 09:06   Link #21
MidoriShinobi
Boha-haha!!

Send a message via AIM to MidoriShinobi Send a message via MSN to MidoriShinobi
You forgot that he saved Lee.
MidoriShinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 09:15   Link #22
VMLM3
I had a good idea once...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
(unless a new kazekage is picked, in which case i'd assume he/she would see gaara as much of threat as ever.)
Unless the Kazekage is gaara himself... think about it, he seems to be losing his crazy edge, he's amazingly strong and he's the late Kazekage's son, he actually has a good chance.
VMLM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:03   Link #23
Merco
I like pie

Look, this isn't a contest of who had the most f**ked up childhood, this is a contest to see who's the most angst...

Now just to make things clear,

angst ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ängkst)
n.
A feeling of anxiety or apprehension often accompanied by depression.

Now, while Gaara might seemed pissed off for the most part, he's hardly moping around whining about how the world is unfair to him. Sasuke is the one best described as angst. Sasuke is the one who feels inferior because of Naruto, it's rather obvious that he's depressed as well (to a degree). Moreso in the manga. So the winner of this is definitely Sasuke.
Merco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:14   Link #24
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Its obviously sasuke all the way. Gaara never knew his mom, and never had attachments to his father, so his father trying to kill him didnt mean a whole lot to him.

In the end whats worse, having nothing (nothing to lose everything to gain), or having everything being happy, then having it all stripped away by a person you cared about.
Dauthi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:24   Link #25
Yogi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthi
Its obviously sasuke all the way. Gaara never knew his mom, and never had attachments to his father, so his father trying to kill him didnt mean a whole lot to him.

In the end whats worse, having nothing (nothing to lose everything to gain), or having everything being happy, then having it all stripped away by a person you cared about.
You're missing a large part ofthe story. Both Nauto andGaara were considered the viliage pariahs, while people are competing to kiss Sasuke's butt. Besides, Gaara DID have his one source of happiness stripped away by the person he loved most.
Yogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 11:29   Link #26
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogi
You're missing a large part ofthe story. Both Nauto andGaara were considered the viliage pariahs, while people are competing to kiss Sasuke's butt. Besides, Gaara DID have his one source of happiness stripped away by the person he loved most.
He hardly had a sane and great life like Sasuke had. His life went from completely normal to .. well hell. And not only that he was shown pictures of his family and EVERYONE he ever knew back then dying, screaming for their lives, women and children, children he probably played with and knew. This is far worse then anything Gaara or Naruto went through.

Did sasuke once give a damn about what anyone else ever thought? Did he care people thought he was great? No, he secluded himself from everyone, so he was just as bad off as Naruto and Gaara.
Old 2004-07-05, 11:34   Link #27
VMLM3

Quote:
He hardly had a sane and great life like Sasuke had. His life went from completely normal to .. well hell.

Did sasuke once give a damn about what anyone else ever thought? Did he care people thought he was great? No, he secluded himself from everyone, so he was just as bad off as Naruto and Gaara.

So basically it would come down to figuring out which is worse, knowing happiness and having it stripped away or living a life devoid of hapiness since you where born
Old 2004-07-05, 11:38   Link #28
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMLM3
So basically it would come down to figuring out which is worse, knowing happiness and having it stripped away or living a life devoid of hapiness since you where born

Well you can only experience sadness if you experience happiness. Sasuke was the most happy, and he went to the total opposite extreme, complete sadness/loneliness. So yes, i think he had it a lot worse.
Old 2004-07-05, 11:49   Link #29
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Quote:
Well you can only experience sadness if you experience happiness. Sasuke was the most happy, and he went to the total opposite extreme, complete sadness/loneliness. So yes, i think he had it a lot worse.
You don't know what's worst, and even if you did, it doesn't help anything in this topic. Sasuke has the most angst currently in the series, but he is also acting accordingly, so I can't really say I feel sorry for him...
Old 2004-07-05, 11:59   Link #30
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1
You don't know what's worst, and even if you did, it doesn't help anything in this topic. Sasuke has the most angst currently in the series, but he is also acting accordingly, so I can't really say I feel sorry for him...

Nobody knows, but isnt the point in forums to talk about why you think your opinion is correct. Im stating WHY i think he has the most angst, and theres nothing wrong with that.
Old 2004-07-05, 12:10   Link #31
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

But the reason why he has the most angst should be because his nightmare isn't over yet.
Old 2004-07-05, 12:13   Link #32
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidoriShinobi
You forgot that he saved Lee.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merco
Now, while Gaara might seemed pissed off for the most part, he's hardly moping around whining about how the world is unfair to him. Sasuke is the one best described as angst. Sasuke is the one who feels inferior because of Naruto, it's rather obvious that he's depressed as well (to a degree). Moreso in the manga. So the winner of this is definitely Sasuke.
if this is a contest of who whines the most, saskue wins hands down because gaara has no friends to express his feelings to. but gaara has alot more mental stress and anxiety.

Quote:

you know, this reminds me of an old proverb: "It is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all."
HoboGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 12:14   Link #33
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by nh1
But the reason why he has the most angst should be because his nightmare isn't over yet.
Quote:
Im stating WHY i think he has the most angst
People were also discussing about characters pasts, i decided to show my points why Sasuke still has angst. How bout jumping on them too.
Old 2004-07-05, 12:22   Link #34
VMLM3

Quote:
you know, this reminds me of an old proverb: "It is better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all."
You know, one might argue that Gaara had the tiniest taste of love, with his mother's sister, he did love her, he clung on to her because it was the only good thing in his wretched existance. Since it was focused on a single person it must have been pretty intense love, that would explain the increadible amount of pain that arised from her betrayal. So actually Gaara did know love he did know the feeling of caring and being cared for only for a tiny bit.
If angst is what it's defined as above then yeah I got it wrong, Sasuke probably takes the prize. Gaara is still the most wretched though.
Old 2004-07-05, 12:32   Link #35
HoboGod
Necromancer

yashamaru is gaara's mother's brother. all characters with maru suffix are male. and still, if you are impling that gaara felt those kind of feelings toward an aunt, that is sick. ^_^;;

both sasuke and gaara had their worlds taken from them, the only difference is that gaara's world was never real.

Angst is the feeling of anxiety. Anxiety is feeling of unluck or stress. it is hard to say who is feeling more of something because neither of them express what they feel easily.

EDIT: typo
Old 2004-07-05, 12:35   Link #36
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMLM3
You know, one might argue that Gaara had the tiniest taste of love, with his mother's sister, he did love her, he clung on to her because it was the only good thing in his wretched existance. Since it was focused on a single person it must have been pretty intense love, that would explain the increadible amount of pain that arised from her betrayal. So actually Gaara did know love he did know the feeling of caring and being cared for only for a tiny bit.
If angst is what it's defined as above then yeah I got it wrong, Sasuke probably takes the prize. Gaara is still the most wretched though.

Yeah Gaara did have a taste of love, when Gaara's uncle told him that his mother loved him etc. But im still not sure how long he was attached to that person, from the flashback it didnt look very long i dont think, maybe a year max? Anyways after his uncle betrayed him, she also told him that his mother didnt love him, so that didnt last very long i dont think.

But still, could you imagine coming home from school when you are 8? or so, and everyone you knew, played with, etc was slaughtered by your brother. Then he goes even further by showing all your friends you played with, all the people you talked to, your own parents having there hearts torn out, heads chopped off, stabbed in the guts etc. Their screams for mercy, however you brother ignores and disembowels them (maybe he didnt do all that, but he definitely killed them ^^) That would be pretty traumatic i think.
Old 2004-07-05, 12:54   Link #37
HoboGod
Necromancer

Quote:
Yeah Gaara did have a taste of love, when Gaara's uncle told him that his mother loved him etc. But im still not sure how long he was attached to that person, from the flashback it didnt look very long i dont think, maybe a year max? Anyways after his uncle betrayed him, she also told him that his mother didnt love him, so that didnt last very long i dont think.
well, i'm not quite sure what makes you think gaara only lived with him a year. but gaara's mother died at his birth, so it was probably yashamaru who took care of gaara since then under kazekage's orders. so ithat would be about 6 years.

Quote:
But still, could you imagine coming home from school when you are 8? or so, and everyone you knew, played with, etc was slaughtered by your brother. Then he goes even further by showing all your friends you played with, all the people you talked to, your own parents having there hearts torn out, heads chopped off, stabbed in the guts etc. Their screams for mercy, however you brother ignores and disembowels them (maybe he didnt do all that, but he definitely killed them ^^) That would be pretty traumatic i think.
well, sasuke wasn't forced into killing all the people he loved like gaara was. watching it happen is one thing, but doing it yourself is pretty fucking horrible. can you imagine having to kill somebody wearing a mask and then finding out then that it was your mother or father? and at least sasuke has itachi to vent his frustration and point the cause of all his problems. gaara has NOBODY.
Old 2004-07-05, 13:00   Link #38
Dauthi
Searching for the Cure

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoboGod
well, i'm not quite sure what makes you think gaara only lived with him a year. but gaara's mother died at his birth, so it was probably yashamaru who took care of gaara since then under kazekage's orders. so ithat would be about 6 years.

well, sasuke wasn't forced into killing all the people he loved like gaara was. watching it happen is one thing, but doing it yourself is pretty fucking horrible. can you imagine having to kill somebody wearing a mask and then finding out then that it was your mother or father? and at least sasuke has itachi to vent his frustration and point the cause of all his problems. gaara has NOBODY.

Are you sure about that, i coulda swore Gaara just me that person in his flashback. Thats why he slowly started to get better after meeting him. If he had someone like that all along he wouldnt have been messed up like he was already.

Gaara wasnt forced to kill people he loved, only his uncle, but his uncle hated him anyways, so it was more like being betrayed, and thats only one person. He didnt even know his mom so you cant bring that up, and his dad obviously doesnt give a damn about him.

So overall sure it was pretty bad his uncle betrayed him, and he killed him, but compared to Sasuke watching, lets see, hundreds of people he knew in his village each being individually slaughtered by his own brother who he looked up to and loved, ild still lean towards sasuke.
Old 2004-07-05, 13:38   Link #39
indo

this will go on forever gaara and sasuke's pain and experiences are equally terrible the big difference is: gaara alloawed naruto to save him from his pain.

sasuke runs away from his saviours because thats easier

some people find comfort in their pain and identify themselves with it, the last thing they want is to get rid of it. sasuke will colapse if he ever kills itachi coz he won't know what to do and how to live and act then.

i actually knew a girl who has a personality disorder she's like sasuke in some ways, and everytime a psychiatrist is close to helping her and solving her issues she stops seeing them she claims she want to be helped but in reality that is the last thing she wants.

sasuke has the same problem!

gaara and neiji were freed from their pain by naruto but you can only be helped if you allow yourself to be helped.

there are a lot of intresting topics in this series regarding the humon psyche

when you look at the characters like that i would say that sasuke has an incredably weak personality
indo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-07-05, 13:38   Link #40
VMLM3

Quote:
Are you sure about that, i coulda swore Gaara just me that person in his flashback. Thats why he slowly started to get better after meeting him. If he had someone like that all along he wouldnt have been messed up like he was already.

Gaara wasnt forced to kill people he loved, only his uncle, but his uncle hated him anyways, so it was more like being betrayed, and thats only one person. He didnt even know his mom so you cant bring that up, and his dad obviously doesnt give a damn about him.

So overall sure it was pretty bad his uncle betrayed him, and he killed him, but compared to Sasuke watching, lets see, hundreds of people he knew in his village each being individually slaughtered by his own brother who he looked up to and loved, ild still lean towards sasuke.
Gaara's uncle may have betrayed him but Gaara didn't know it. He still loved his uncle when he killed him and probably felt more wounded and confuse than hateful towards his uncle. Besides, Gaara had one person to love ONE, imagine the love you feel for your family concentrated on ONE person, not only that you KILL that one person, how would THAT make you feel?
You know I think this merits it's own poll, who had the worst childhood? Sasuke or Gaara?