Corvette Z06
Shelby 500
Dodge SRT Viper
and I have beaten Gran Turismo 3 and 4 and i'm currently playing GT5 Prolounge
Old 2008-05-05, 15:37   Link #23
Like_Clockwork

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Things wear out over time -- axles, door hinges, headlight pop-up dealies.

"Cheap" and "AE86" are two terms that no longer go together, by the way. People who sell them, want crazy amounts of money (crazy considering it's a car that is more than 20 years old).

Around here if it's less than $4000 there's something wrong with it, like HEAVY rusting on the underbody or completely blown engine or frame damage after being crashed by wanna-be dorifto's.

And spending $6000 (US) on a 22-year old Corolla... ugh. That just does not sound right.
i dont know where you're looking ive seen modded ae86's for a relatively inexpensive price. The one I'm looking is modded and only thing wrong is theres a slight issue with the TDR head gaskets but thats no biggy.
Like_Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 16:52   Link #24
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_Clockwork View Post
i dont know where you're looking ive seen modded ae86's for a relatively inexpensive price. The one I'm looking is modded and only thing wrong is theres a slight issue with the TDR head gaskets but thats no biggy.
Are you sure it has the 4AG-E engine and not the carburettor (4A-C?) one. No idea why people consider the SR5 to be a 86 anyway, ok same chassis no. (AE86) but the engine, rear axles and brakes... no, no.

I want a 280ZX, but the maintenance cost for old cars is probably too much for me atm.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-05, 21:09   Link #25
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage View Post
Things wear out over time -- axles, door hinges, headlight pop-up dealies.

"Cheap" and "AE86" are two terms that no longer go together, by the way. People who sell them, want crazy amounts of money (crazy considering it's a car that is more than 20 years old).

Around here if it's less than $4000 there's something wrong with it, like HEAVY rusting on the underbody or completely blown engine or frame damage after being crashed by wanna-be dorifto's.

And spending $6000 (US) on a 22-year old Corolla... ugh. That just does not sound right.
That was pretty much my point. They're not worth it. No matter how well maintained it was it's still a 20 year old car that may or may not be able to hold up much longer. If it was a daily driver it's going to have at least 100k miles on it, and that's being generous and assuming only 5k miles a year. If we assume 10k a year, which might still be a bit low, we're looking at over 200k miles. Sure it might have a new engine, but the frame itself still has those miles. Unless one is planning on getting another car as a daily driver, and tuning the hachi roku just for drifting, it's not a good idea.
Old 2008-05-06, 10:04   Link #26
Potatochobit
Certified Organic

I think there is already a 'cars' thread somewhere.

anyway, I actually own an FD3S but its red, not the mica yellow. my advice? dont buy a used sports car. unless its something like a miata or an acura tsx. and try and buy one from a 'woman' owner. DO NOT BUY A TURBO unless you have three to six thousand dollars lying around that you want to give away. it will be cheaper to add a turbo or supercharger to a good condition miata then trying to fix one that is in bad condition in the long run. if you dont care that your car is puff the magic dragon, by all means, purchase a used set.
Potatochobit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 02:35   Link #27
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I do not drive because I think there are already too many cars on the road and they are one of the leading contributors of greenhouse gas emissions...

...is what I would like to say. In truth, I'd rather not waste precious money on cars. Cars cost an arm and a leg in Singapore, made worse by various ownership and road usage taxes. Cars are simply not a cost efficient way to travel here. And that is even before we consider the ridiculous prices of petrol and diesel today. However, if I change my mind one day, I'll probably get a Mini Cooper. It's the car that best fits my personality and image, sporty yet "bookwormish" at the same time.

Heh, as you can tell, I'm not much of a motoring enthusiast. When it comes to cars, all that matters to me are looks, fuel economy and affordability. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatochobit
I think there is already a 'cars' thread somewhere.
There is, but it deals with car problems rather than cars per se.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-07, 19:52   Link #28
NightbatŪ
Deadpan Snarker

Nah he means this one: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...highlight=ride

this seems more about "what one might want" compared to "what one has" thread
Old 2008-05-08, 08:04   Link #29
SolarNova
Alone in the dark

hmm so many cars i like .. ill try jot down a few i like the most

In no particular order:

Ford Mustang Fastback
Corrolla AE86
Shebly GT500
Dodge Charger
Nissan Skyline
GTO (3000GT)
Corvett Stingray
Pontiac Transam
Evo (almost all of em lol)
Ariel Atom
Aston Martin DB9

As u can see i like the old muscle cars , but i like some of the street cars also, as for super cars well i like some of them but not so much, and cruisers like the DB9 well ..no others compare to it so why bother listing them

My first car will have to be somthing with a small engine, 1.6 max .. more like 1.2, not becouse of the car price, thats no prob.. its the insurance ..its insane in England.. a vauxhall corsa insurance is Ģ1600-Ģ2000..a year.. thats more than the car would be worth .. its stupid ..and thats going on the fact im 21 .
SolarNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-14, 11:52   Link #30
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Just bought a new Lancer ES mid tier level but wont stay stock for long.

Old 2008-05-14, 16:30   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I used to *love* cars... I owned one of the last year model 300ZX Nissan Turbos which was hellofalotta fun to drive in the early 1990s.

Since then my tastes and requirements have completely changed. I'd be happiest if I never had to drive a car to reach my destination efficiently again.

We have one mini-van which, as soon as my younger son leaves for college we're going to trade out for a Prius for my wife's commute. I'm currently driving a 1985 Olds (scary to other drivers) that doesn't even have a Bluebook value -- selling it this summer (it'll make some low-riding enthusiast very happy) to either get a Zap Car or some other microjob.

We keep an old '97 GMC truck to use for hauling stuff around -- it gets used maybe once or twice a month, a bit more if we loan it to friends for moving stuff.

My perfect car would be small, nimble, and SILENT (prefer all electric), get from zero to 100km/hr in less than six seconds. Decent interior soundproofing is a must as the roads in my state are so rough from all the "winter tire stud idiots" that listening to music on the road is almost pointless.
Old 2008-05-15, 00:31   Link #32
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Well, i'm a tuner car maniac. My personal favorite is Subaru Impreza WRX STi. Too bad i've only own that in Need for Speed (1121 bhp? lol...).

I'm also like heavy trucks like Nissan Diesel / Mitsubishi Fuso / Volvo FH series. Why? Well maybe because i think they cool and the turbos on large displacement diesel engine sounds really rocks!

If i've already have a money to buy car i'd definitely go for Impreza. Altough want to do engine mods on it but since it only make driving harder in crowded road, so i'll just rice up the looks... well, maybe sports muffler? Dunno. Anyway, maybe all the Imprezas already went hydrogen/electric (or maybe nuclear?) at that time...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 07:58   Link #33
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
My perfect car would be small, nimble, and SILENT (prefer all electric), get from zero to 100km/hr in less than six seconds. Decent interior soundproofing is a must as the roads in my state are so rough from all the "winter tire stud idiots" that listening to music on the road is almost pointless.
I take it you're aware of http://www.teslamotors.com/ ? Brilliant car, their roadster. ^^
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 08:04   Link #34
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
I take it you're aware of http://www.teslamotors.com/ ? Brilliant car, their roadster. ^^
That's...hot.

I'm kind of ambiguous about cars. For one, I need it. For another, I own one. But I'm also a pinko tree-hugger at heart and it kind of pains me to need one. @_@

I own a 20+ years old Toyota that is pretty much a hand-me-down, but it suits me just fine since it's one well-cared for piece. Very comfortable, small, low gas usage, and just, well, easy to drive. Wonderful car, though not at all "cool."

Like pretty much everyone in the world though (except dishonest people :P ), I like the looks of sport cars.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 08:40   Link #35
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

Instead of taling about cars how about pic of a car you own. I'm a tuner enthusiast
so here a project I'm working on.
Spoiler for My project:

Spoiler for Brakes:

Spoiler for AWD anyone?:

Spoiler for Rims:
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 16:19   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
aye, been watching them closely -- I'm not up for their roadster (not fond of convertibles) and the price is still almost that of a small house.

But I'm very interested to watch as they spread their technology and achieve volume sales that permit lower pricing.
Old 2008-05-15, 16:32   Link #37
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

Quote:
Gotta love roadsters. Such beatiful lines ._.'.

As for my favorite car:
Spoiler for big pic:

And if we are going on a more realistic angle:
Spoiler for pic:

Yeah I feel old for liking this -_-

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-15, 20:19   Link #38
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
aye, been watching them closely -- I'm not up for their roadster (not fond of convertibles) and the price is still almost that of a small house.

But I'm very interested to watch as they spread their technology and achieve volume sales that permit lower pricing.
Oh, I agree. Not a fan of convertibles either, and the price on that one is a bit steep. They have said they'll be doing more... standard cars in the future. However I suppose that depends on how much money they make from the roadster.

It sets a very interesting precedent, though; it's pretty much a supercar, that is purely electric. Can do the speeds, has great efficiency ($:distance) and most importantly, pushes the technology forward. Which is the future. Between hydrogen fuel cells and these purely battery driven types, we may see clean roads in the future.

While it is expensive now, the prices will only fall with time as the technologies are advanced. The biggest problem with electric is that battery technology is still terrible; been so little advancement in the field in pretty much a century. Still, the growing fuel crisis should spur a lot more development in to it. ^^ And that's why I love Tesla Motors for the precedent they set. ^^
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-16, 01:02   Link #39
Epoq
1-Up Mushroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGoddess View Post
Of course I like cars but seeing how the oil prices are skyrocketing then owning a car is pretty much a dream for me.
Aye, I feel the pain over here too.

Quote:
Anyway, my favourite car:
Oh my gawd... I soooooo want one of those!

*sigh*

But enough, onto my cars. My first car was a Mazda Xedos 9. Unfortunately I ended up totaling my first car... so, with that lesson learned, I went out and bought another one:

My dream car has always been the 5th generation Corvette, partly because I spent my younger days playing Need for Speed 3 with my friends and it was my favorite car in the game, partly because it's just fun to drive. It's many young guy's dream to own their favorite car in a racing game/anime.

This is what I'm talking about:

I was literally a couple months away from finally making the big purchase but, alas, it will not be. Not in the immediate future anyway, but still, one day I will have one.

This new year has been a tough year for me financially in general, however, what effectively killed my chances of having my dream ride this year is my current Xedos 9. Over the last 6 months I have realized that owning a Mazda Xedos is a lot like having a teenager. You can take car of it, baby it even... throw all the love and money you want at it... and it will still break down and cry. This car is just nothing but trouble and I have decided it's best to get rid of it while I still can. If you're thinking of buying one, take it from me and just don't.

In the spirit of this thread, I've narrowed down my choices for my next car down to these two:

Honda Accord Coupe

Honda S2000

They're both Hondas, they're both reliable, parts are easy to find and in-expensive, and both are economical (with the Accord getting 31mph on a highway) which is an important factor with our current gas prices. Basically, they're everything my current car is not.
Epoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 02:17   Link #40
jdawson1960

Hybrid Car ??

I am getting ready to buy another car now. When gas prices were $4 plus, I was really thinking about buying a hybrid. Now with gas prices back down to $2 or less, should I.

I understand the enviorment situation, however with the cost of a hybrid being $5k plus more, I will never make the money back over the life of the 4-5 years I am going to keep the car.

So any feedback of your experience owning a hybrid, or why I should or shoulnt would be appreciated.
jdawson1960 is offline   Reply With Quote