AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Kagaku no Railgun

Notices

View Poll Results: To Aru Kagaku no Railgun - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 6 7.79%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 20.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 27.27%
7 out of 10 : Good 21 27.27%
6 out of 10 : Average 6 7.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 3.90%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.30%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.30%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-10-30, 22:26   Link #21
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Kinda interesting that Kuroko's senpai had X-ray eyes. Wait, so she can see through even clothes?

This series need another alternate perspective.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 22:30   Link #22
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Instead of episode 2 or 3, this should have been placed there and it would've been much better. 7/10, a better effort than usual.

However, we're still 5 episodes in and the plot is dragging, that is why I did not give give this episode an 8/10. I also find Uihara to be a pointless character, she and her friend. Lets get back to Misaka please.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 22:48   Link #23
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
I shall wait the day once all this character development will come in handy once this series hit the plot arcs. Then those arcs will be much more satisfying.
Old 2009-10-30, 22:52   Link #24
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
However, we're still 5 episodes in and the plot is dragging, that is why I did not give give this episode an 8/10.
I would say the plot's pacing is rather deliberate to fit the 24-episode length. This way they don't finish the canon plot too early and end up with a long stretch of original material at the end. Not necessarily trying to say that anyone needs to be either pleased or displeased by the pacing, but at least I think they have their reasons.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 22:59   Link #25
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I also find Uihara to be a pointless character, she and her friend. Lets get back to Misaka please.
Miu, Chika, Ana, and Matsuri are all pointless characters. I love them.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-30, 23:00   Link #26
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

its 24 eps right? that still leaves a lot of room for plot. if the senpai can see through one layer of clothes, 2 layers isn't too farfetched.. but she probably has a self imposed rule.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 00:00   Link #27
rcxx

A very nice flashback episode for Kuroko and uihara in their rookie days. you get to see some character development which makes it better than episode 3. Overall I'd give it 7/10 and hope they continue to keep up this quality for future episodes.
rcxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 00:20   Link #28
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Not only the best episode of the series so far, but one of the best episodes of October of all ongoings imo. 10/10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
And why didn't Kuroko just teleport the criminal outside?
And Anti-skill really is slow... (-_-)
Seriously, not AGAIN. Please refrain from hunting logical inconsistencies in IMAGINARY worlds.

Now, about stuff that really matters.
  • First of all, story/plot. The pace and flow of events in this eppie is really great. Kept my attention busy for full 20 minutes! Rich content, maybe even too large for one episode, but nicely packed/compressed.

And I so loved the plot - two lolis getting together, you can't wish for more

• Animation of faces, or, rather, artist's work on faces in this ep catched my attention too. GJ.

• That scene with a guy hitting Kuroko was seriously intense! Applause to authors!

• Seiyu work in a scene with Kuroko's lying on a bed with face in pillow. Made me laugh

• About "cheesy" ending - it would be cheesy if those two girls just ran into sunset. In reality Kuroko kinda challenges Ueharu about who runs faster and the next moment she teleports ahead, hehe. Very nice touch, and the whole scene does great job in portraying Kuroko even more deeply.
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 00:28   Link #29
Bordix

Even if Kuroko teleported the robber outside, that talkative fool can still easily go inside. And whats up with the security robot? no guns? was it just gonna ram him or something?

Not a bad episode, at least we get to see some of judgment in action, sort of...
Old 2009-10-31, 00:40   Link #30
Cyrus17
Impostor Cutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
Even if Kuroko teleported the robber outside, that talkative fool can still easily go inside. And whats up with the security robot? no guns? was it just gonna ram him or something?
Come on, stop it. NOW!

Or rather read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

It contains answers on all 4 of your questions.

Excerpt:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
According to the theory, suspension of disbelief is an essential ingredient in the enjoyment of many B-grade science fiction films and television series such as the early series of Doctor Who, where the audience willingly ignores low-budget "cheesy" props and occasional plot holes, in order to fully engage with the enjoyable story — which may be the more so for those additions to its inherent outrageousness.

Suspension of disbelief is also supposed to be essential for the enjoyment of many movies and TV shows involving complex stunts, special effects, and seemingly "unrealistic" plots, characterizations, etc. The theory professes to explain why action movie fans are willing to accept the idea that the good guy can get away with shooting guns in public places, or never running out of ammunition, or that cars will explode with a well-placed shot to the gas tank.
Black Seppuku Bunny:
- Want us to help you?
Harakiri Tiger:
- We'd be happy to take a piece.
Natsuru:
- Can you even digest it with your guts hanging out like that?

Last edited by Cyrus17; 2009-10-31 at 00:53. Reason: added the excerpt
Cyrus17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 00:49   Link #31
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

For once an episode where Kuroko did not make my hair stand. She's actually shown to be Toughness 3 rather than not taking any damage as usual.

It may have ended in a cliche, but at least it had a nice feel to it. And Kuroko was finally done justice rather than a mere running gag. This episode gets my vote too.
Old 2009-10-31, 01:02   Link #32
Bordix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Come on, stop it. NOW!

Or rather read this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suspension_of_disbelief

It contains answers on all 4 of your questions.
It's not really bothering me, I just wanted to point it out

Kuroko is actually bad-ass when shes not obsessing over mikoto.
Old 2009-10-31, 01:36   Link #33
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by KholdStare View Post
Miu, Chika, Ana, and Matsuri are all pointless characters. I love them.
In the first place, how can Kazari and Ruiko be pointless anyways?
They've effected the story and they have some relation to Mikoto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus17 View Post
Seriously, not AGAIN. Please refrain from hunting logical inconsistencies in IMAGINARY worlds.
Σ(゚Д゚; )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji103 View Post
Well, I don't know about that. He would be potentially more dangerous outside than inside, where there are more people and lots more things that could go boom and such. And by letting him outside, it would be just as easy for him to take a hostage. It would actually be best to keep him confined in the bank than to let him out and potentially run around the city causing all kinds of problems and hurting a lot more people.
Hmm, possibly... Though from the way it looks, he had no benefits running around the city and causing all kinds of trouble.
In the first place, his ability is slow, so I doubt it can hit anyone who is even looking at him. Plus, once he is outside, he would probably run away because he would get caught otherwise. Even if he causes destruction to buildings, it won't act as a hostage or anything... Perhaps?

Though yeah, @Cyrus.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 02:28   Link #34
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bordix View Post
It's not really bothering me, I just wanted to point it out

Kuroko is actually bad-ass when shes not obsessing over mikoto.
Dude her Misaka fetish is what makes her BADASS. and that she teleports lol.
Old 2009-10-31, 03:12   Link #35
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
Dude her Misaka fetish is what makes her BADASS. and that she teleports lol.
Her Misaka fetish is what makes her annoying rather than badass IMO.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 03:23   Link #36
HandofFate

okay episode I guess.
late one was really good, so I guess two in a row is too much to ask for when they're just trying to do character development.

I say it was because of Touma..needs more of him. the whole series is full of only females with males in the background. girl power is nice and all, but these girls need a man or two to balance them out.
Old 2009-10-31, 03:30   Link #37
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Quote:
In the first place, how can Kazari and Ruiko be pointless anyways?
They've effected the story and they have some relation to Mikoto.
I think the problem here is that people expect some central plot in Railgun, and so far that hasn't happened yet. The "new" characters do seem like filler characters to the overall Index main story, and that is what I believe causes most of the disapproval comments. Once again, I find the idea of expecting Railgun to be "something" pretty silly.

But just to prove how I feel about these episodes, I want to know more about Mikoto and Kuroko than Necessarius. If what I predict is true, then Railgun will be someone similar to Toradora, where the first half is semi-episodic and the drama hits in the second half. Except for the romance...maybe.
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 03:31   Link #38
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Kinda interesting that Kuroko's senpai had X-ray eyes. Wait, so she can see through even clothes?

This series need another alternate perspective.
It's the first time I'm happy that Kuroko got the teleportation ability instead of something else . No way she could resist using that.
Quote:
Hmm, possibly... Though from the way it looks, he had no benefits running around the city and causing all kinds of trouble.
In the first place, his ability is slow, so I doubt it can hit anyone who is even looking at him. Plus, once he is outside, he would probably run away because he would get caught otherwise. Even if he causes destruction to buildings, it won't act as a hostage or anything... Perhaps?

Though yeah, @Cyrus.
You have some good points there. Though I do agree as well that he could easily get back inside if he wanted to. Plus if he fired those at the bank he could hit hostages if he didn't feel like stopping them. It might have been best to keep the guy contained as long as she could. Besides Kuroko was hurting and inexperienced. Even if sending him out was the right move it doesn't mean she was going to make it.

In terms of his ability it is a gamble. It's not fast but what if someone freezes? If they don't know what he can do they might just watch the attack until it's too late to move.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
Her Misaka fetish is what makes her annoying rather than badass IMO.
It's not that I have an issue with her liking Misaka it's just that she goes so overboard it does get a bit annoying. She is far more badass when she is calmly taking down criminals.
Old 2009-10-31, 04:29   Link #39
Sol Falling

In terms of the bad guy's ability: isn't it only dangerous if you're being held in place, or running into it yourself with fairly high momentum? Sure that means it's highly destructive to buildings, but in a combat situation if you just stand there it's pretty much just like something slowly pushing you.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-10-31, 05:51   Link #40
MaxMaximilianMaximus

Send a message via Yahoo to MaxMaximilianMaximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
In terms of the bad guy's ability: isn't it only dangerous if you're being held in place, or running into it yourself with fairly high momentum? Sure that means it's highly destructive to buildings, but in a combat situation if you just stand there it's pretty much just like something slowly pushing you.
What you said is right, but anime and physics never get along, so let's just assume that it's quite destructive in the show ^_^
MaxMaximilianMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote