Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2013-08-17, 15:27   Link #21
ChampDream
Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jun pls View Post
Is that so? Do I need to read the stuff before that to get what's going on? (since I dunno if Special has a real plot or something) and do you know which chapter that is, at least an about-number? Sorry to bother you with this
I think after chapter 180 (check around that), about if you should read the stuff before, I said that the arc after crystal is the Ruby and Sapphire arc you don't need it for that arc, but for later arcs you do need to read the stuff before.
Old 2013-08-17, 17:53   Link #22
sky black swordman

This is a must watch for me, even if it is a special. After watching the PV, I had the sudden urge to play my FireRed version.
Old 2013-08-17, 19:01   Link #23
LostSome

Red with Charmander against Brock... The nostalgia !
I`ll watch if only for that.

The best ending would be an older Red on Mt. Silver.
LostSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 19:05   Link #24
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayde View Post
Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure I stopped watching Pokemon at around the same time. And while I never placed much importance in seeing Ash grow up, a big part of why I ended up disliking his character was precisely because he had a habit of letting his Pokemon go--as you said (and after they reached the final stage of evolution no less). I mean the whole catch phrase for the series was "gotta catch 'em all!", and here the main character is letting 'em all go. But in hindsight, I suppose this just contributed to a more broad problem I had with the series in general--it lacked a sense of progression. I don't know if Pokemon is considered a shonen or not, but Ash just doesn't provide the kinds of qualities I look for in a shonen protagonist. Granted I haven't watched Pokemon in many years, so I don't know if the problems got rectified since then, but at the time I watched it, Ash lost a lot. And since he let a lot of his more powerful Pokemon go, it started to feel like he would constantly take one step forward and two steps back. Add this to the fact that he would constantly encounter powerful new Pokemon and make no effort whatsoever to catch them is what I guess ultimately turned me off to the anime.

It was like watching someone play the game all wrong. It became vexing.
He's in a perpetual rookie mode. He never seems to win anything big and like you said, he never tries to catch these super rare, super cool Pokemon he encounters... Worse still is there is only minimal continuity between episodes (outside of absolutely necessary thing like badges he won), and essentially no continuity at all between seasons. He starts from square one each season; no growth, no connection to what happened before, no character development...

It's a kids show, I understand, but damn... I think kids could appreciate these things.

That's why this is exciting... The Pokemon world seems like an awesome anime opportunity and you have tons of nostalgia points in its favor. Too bad it's a special, but I'll still watch it, for sure. If it turns out good I'd really hope we could get a proper series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostSome View Post
Red with Charmander against Brock... The nostalgia !
I`ll watch if only for that.

The best ending would be an older Red on Mt. Silver.
Catching Mewtwo with the master ball would be epic too.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-17, 20:44   Link #25
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

^

I doubt they would go that far ahead. Does anyone how long is this special? I think it probably will be a flashback episodes when Red recalled how he started, covers some gym fights and probably end with Charizard fighting Blastoise without knowing who's the winner
Old 2013-08-18, 02:38   Link #26
elior

i think if this special will be popular and good enough it will get a full series
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 06:09   Link #27
bogcsa1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articalys View Post
Official trailer:

Finally a Pokemon Special without Ash/Satoshi and Pikachu
I hope they will do the other episodes, too
Old 2013-08-18, 09:06   Link #28
Jun pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampDream View Post
I think after chapter 180 (check around that), about if you should read the stuff before, I said that the arc after crystal is the Ruby and Sapphire arc you don't need it for that arc, but for later arcs you do need to read the stuff before.
Okay, thanks a bunch!
Jun pls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 10:17   Link #29
sayde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
It's a kids show, I understand, but damn... I think kids could appreciate these things.
I can't speak for every kid, but I know I did when I was of that age (which is apparently why I quit watching).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Catching Mewtwo with the master ball would be epic too.
I agree. But if that's too much of a request, I'd be content with just seeing the main protagonist TRY to catch a rare and powerful Pokemon. At the very least, let the thought actually cross his mind. lol Another thing I'd like to see is for this protagonist to beat Ash somewhere along the way.
sayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 10:24   Link #30
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

Finally, Red in animation and color! *fangirl squeal*
ninryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 15:29   Link #31
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogcsa1013 View Post
Finally a Pokemon Special without Ash/Satoshi and Pikachu
I hope they will do the other episodes, too
actually if he was red from the game than he will have to get Pikachu
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 16:39   Link #32
MAX_COLA_POWER!

People are upset over this not being a series? It doesn't have to be, we all know where these 2 are gonna end up, Green being Giovanni's replacement as gym leader, and Red becoming an epic mute trainer on top of Mt. Silver.
Old 2013-08-18, 17:28   Link #33
Violet Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundamx View Post
actually if he was red from the game than he will have to get Pikachu
... No? If he was Red from the game(s) that are being adapted, he would have one of the 3 starters, just like he actually is choosing. They wouldn't allow him to get Pikachu if they were actually adapting the games properly because Yellow is based on the anime. We don't need an anime of the game of the anime of the game. (oh my)

Anyway, so excited for this. Of course I can only hope that it could be a success enough to get it's own series, because then I would actually feel like following a Pokemon anime. I do still generally like the current one, but I just hate how long the one protagonist they've basically ever had stays. I'm somewhere in BW, and still plan on watching more, I just can't stress enough how excited I am for something different.
Violet Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 19:08   Link #34
Who

I'd be more or less okay with Ash's Peter Pan syndrome if he actually retained things from each previous league. The amount of retconning they did with his skill competency from the Sinnoh League (Diamond/Pearl 4th gen for those who stopped after the first or second season) to the Unova League (Black/White current 5th gen that's ending soon). I'd understand if he loses with his new Pokemon, being that they're new, but with his Pikachu? Yeah... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Rabbit View Post
... No? If he was Red from the game(s) that are being adapted, he would have one of the 3 starters, just like he actually is choosing. They wouldn't allow him to get Pikachu if they were actually adapting the games properly because Yellow is based on the anime. We don't need an anime of the game of the anime of the game. (oh my)
I can see Pikachu being a part of Red's team, though, and wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if he captures one. I know that he doesn't necessarily have to have Pikachu, but so far in every iteration of Ash/Red in manga, games and TV series, a Pikachu is associated with him.
Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 19:14   Link #35
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet Rabbit View Post
Remember that when you face Red as Gold, Red's best pokemon is *surprise surprise* Pikachu, lvl88 to boot.
He obviously starts with one of the starters, but he will prolly have a Pikachu at some point.
Old 2013-08-18, 19:42   Link #36
Violet Rabbit

Oh yeah, you two make a good point. I guess the current anime was just waaaaay too on my mind. ^-^;
Old 2013-08-18, 20:43   Link #37
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Why is Brock wearing a shirt?

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 20:58   Link #38
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
Remember that when you face Red as Gold, Red's best pokemon is *surprise surprise* Pikachu, lvl88 to boot.
He obviously starts with one of the starters, but he will prolly have a Pikachu at some point.
To add, you can easily catch a wild Pikachu in the game.

Also, by the time Red is on Mt Silver he technically has all three fully evolved starter Pokémon anyway.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-18, 20:59   Link #39
Violet Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Why is Brock wearing a shirt?
He wears a shirt in his Gen I art too.

About Ash never wanting/trying to catch rare and Powerful Pokemon... I was alerted to this myself, and it's not that strong, really, but how rare and cool is a shiny Noctowl? Point invalid, since he ignores way more anyway...
Old 2013-08-18, 21:16   Link #40
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who View Post
I'd be more or less okay with Ash's Peter Pan syndrome if he actually retained things from each previous league. The amount of retconning they did with his skill competency from the Sinnoh League (Diamond/Pearl 4th gen for those who stopped after the first or second season) to the Unova League (Black/White current 5th gen that's ending soon). I'd understand if he loses with his new Pokemon, being that they're new, but with his Pikachu? Yeah... no.
The thing is, do you have any idea of how OP Ash would be if he retained all his experience? With Pikachu alone he'd be able to wipe the floor with practically any other trainer/pokemon by this stage. And since this would be bad for the show and they refuse to change him for any other character... he's always retconned so that other trainers have the possibility of being challenging.

The other thing that always bothered me about the anime- the only time he ever won a final stage is when it was challenges, such as the Orange Islands. Not once has he ever won a true competition against other trainers. I could understand him losing in the first season, but then when he loses in all the other regions' actual competitions.... (on a side note, I stopped watching just before the Diamond/Pearl stuff)

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote