AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-11-27, 17:00   Link #21
Lyocol
Banned

Kimi no Iru Machi Is definitely the biggest disappointment of this though everyone especially manga readers already saw it from far away. Well, it ends just like most fans want but this one need to be rehashed from scratch again.

Free! also included as well as most of my disappointment towards the studio than the show itself. Yeah its true they need the support from female viewers as much as the male ones but the show itself is a mess. Just another excuse to sexualize scantily-clad boys rather than telling a good story about professional swimming. Yes its true most male KyoAni fans seems don't care(or don't want to care at all) but for me it's a huge dick move to me.

Finally KyoAni return to its old self with Kyoukai no Kanata but unfortunately it currently in boring part right now. I don't know about future episodes but first 2 episodes give me high hope for it but then from 3 and onward they screw it up, making it unbearably boring(contrast to Free! which is annoying at best). I guess KyoAni prioritize styles over substance right now. I really missed their Clannad and K-On! days.

While nobody expect Coppelion to be a masterpiece or at least popular but I was disappointed to see how big its hype on Animax-Asia. Much like Free! it too also the product of a studio which wants to "experiment" with completely different group of audiences but it didn't pay off. With the success of K, which is more aimed towards female viewers, Coppelion had similar styles only more aimed towards male ones and hoping will repeat K's success. Unfortunately for them that's not what happen right now. The show flopped and almost nobody wants to see it. They should learn from history and not repeating it.

Brothers Conflict for not because being a reverse harem but it is a bad reverse harem show. Same goes with Utau no Prince-sama as well.

Freezing Vibration for being unnecessary and mind-boggling(not in a good way) sequel. Not much to say except that.

Attack on Titans is a good action show but unfortunately it got too many credits and hype than it should deserves. I'm surprised that nobody voting for this show before I do. Maybe they enjoyed it to the bits, which I already acknowledged.

Finally there's Ore no Imouto S2 especially at the end. I'm not going to spoil it but to this day I'm still piss with the director's decisions. I wish the third season will never see the light of day, though most other fans will kill me if that happens.
Lyocol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 17:09   Link #22
Dextro
He Without a Title

I'll have to join the many already in this thread claiming Kyoukai no Kanata as the most disappointing show of the year for me. It's not that it's a bad show (I've seen worse), it's just that I was really hoping for this one to be THE show to prove that KyoAni could do something exciting again and it ended up being more of the same instead (below the KyoAni average even imho).

Kami-sama no Inai Nichiyoubi is a strong runner up for me. The show had a lot of charm all the way to the end and virtually every story arc had some very strong premises to them. It's just a shame that each and every one of the story arcs ended up feeling wasted, rushed or both. A shame really.
Old 2013-11-27, 17:34   Link #23
Vezon

Photo Kano,by a long shot for me. I enjoy the manga a lot, but watching MC just made me cringe so much!
Old 2013-11-27, 18:42   Link #24
abc0716

Maybe are the following series I stated, cannot really remember about 2013 Anime I had watched (Complete one):

RDG: Red Data Girl - Feels like it left many things unexplained, perhaps is the worst PA Works series I've seen so far.

Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou - First few episodes actually looks okay, but it became a cheapo comedy series as the story moves on...
abc0716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 19:02   Link #25
Dr. Casey

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha wins 'Most Disappointing Anime of the Year' from me. Almost every other disappointing anime of 2013 has at least been enjoyable to some extent. Maoyuu just stunk. The first episode was deceptively good and I enjoyed the maid girl's impassioned speech around episode 9 or so, but those are basically the only redeeming points for me... well, and the Demon Queen was hot. Otherwise I found it a horribly boring series that barely capitalized on the lone element of the story I found interesting (that being the relationship between the Hero and Demon Queen, who despite being the main hero and heroine barely interacted past the first episode or two).

Da Capo III wasn't bad, but it was rather empty with virtually nothing of note happening, which I found a bit disappointing since the stated premise sounded intriguing (the main cast receiving a text message from 1951). I did read, though, that the anime adaptation comes to a close very early in the Visual Novel's story, so maybe they just adapted the VN in so much detail that they were never able to get past the slow beginnings; a fair enough excuse in my eyes.

Images
Well, at least it has Charles
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor II (or whatever the name is) I dropped about midway through because I found it disinteresting. Coppelion has tonal issues and at this point I'm mostly just staying on-board because we're close to the end.

It's been a pretty normal year for anime (and speaking as a pretty big anime fan, 'normal' is synonymous in my mind with 'good'), and there weren't many real disappointments for me, though the only season to pass with no anime failing to reach my expectations was summer.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 19:06   Link #26
Traece
:cool:

Hayate no Gotoku Cuties is an easy pick here.

So is the DanganRonpa anime, which was probably the most disappointing thing I've seen since Valkyria Chronicles was animated. Remind me never to bother with adaptations of popular video games.

And of course, Valvrave the Liberator for reminding me that Sunrise just isn't what it used to be...

Edit: Pupa for NOT EVEN BEING AIRED THIS YEAR!

Last edited by Traece; 2013-11-28 at 01:10.
Traece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 20:05   Link #27
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I had honestly forgot about Red Data Girl. But yeah, that one was pretty disappointing too, as evidenced partly by the fact that I had even forgotten about it. P.A. Works anime are usually rather memorable for me, but RDG never resonated with me like most other works by that studio. Thankfully, P.A. Works is showcasing its mojo this season with Nagi no Asukara.

I'm kind of surprised at all the mentions Kimi no iru Machi and Photo Kano are getting on this thread. Kimi no iru Machi was basically promoted as a controversial romance drama, and I felt it delivered rather well on that basis. Was it wildly unfaithful to the source material or something like that? Otherwise, its frequent mention is puzzling to me.

I dropped Photo Kano after one episode, but I never expected much of it to begin with. I tried it out mainly due to nice character designs (I probably should stop doing that when it comes to VN adaptations, given how often it leads to disappointment on my part, lol). Was the source material for it really good?
Old 2013-11-27, 20:20   Link #28
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

3. Beyond the Boundary

This sounded like a nice little adventure but it's seriously turning into a hot mess.

===
2. Diabolik Lovers

Anime Exec: Hey, for our next project, let's do something with a male harem. Like vampires! Girls like vampires right?

Exec: Sure. Look at all of the vampire manga that's a hit. I know a game too that we can adapt. There's these hot brothers and this girl comes to live with them, but they all not only want to bite her but they attempt to rape her and manipulate her...

Anime Exec: .................................................. ....Let's do it. Fujioshi will buy anything!

===
1. Magi (first season)

I really loved EVERYTHING up to midway when it became the Emo Alibaba show. Then the ending just BLEW and made me appreciate the manga more.

However, MOAR SINBAD please!

Honorable MentionOreimo's Incest End.
Old 2013-11-27, 20:23   Link #29
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I had honestly forgot about Red Data Girl. But yeah, that one was pretty disappointing too, as evidenced partly by the fact that I had even forgotten about it. P.A. Works anime are usually rather memorable for me, but RDG never resonated with me like most other works by that studio. Thankfully, P.A. Works is showcasing its mojo this season with Nagi no Asukara.

I'm kind of surprised at all the mentions Kimi no iru Machi and Photo Kano are getting on this thread. Kimi no iru Machi was basically promoted as a controversial romance drama, and I felt it delivered rather well on that basis. Was it wildly unfaithful to the source material or something like that? Otherwise, its frequent mention is puzzling to me.

I dropped Photo Kano after one episode, but I never expected much of it to begin with. I tried it out mainly due to nice character designs (I probably should stop doing that when it comes to VN adaptations, given how often it leads to disappointment on my part, lol). Was the source material for it really good?
Damn, forgot about Red Data Girl as well, will add that to my list. But yeah, Photokano I admit did get me a little excited, because it almost seemed to pull directly from Amagami SS in many ways (including using the EXACT font style for the title). The characters had some interesting designs and I honestly did hope it would be another set of fun little interactions. Of course, we all know how THAT turned out.
Old 2013-11-27, 20:47   Link #30
Guy Incognito
Odd Gentlemen

DanganRonpa cut way to much

Maoyuu Maou Yuusha so boring. could been good if the balance action with economics. but it was all economics and not good economics at that.

- Guy Incognito 2014
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 21:57   Link #31
Dark Faith
Often Disappointed

I know that at least one of my votes will get me shot.

I. Kyoukai no Kanata
KyoAni and Supernatural genre? Sounds like a recipe for greatness. Except it wasn't. Show is average at best, with far too many forced gags and two main characters that I care nothing about. Talk about a waste.

II. Rozen Maiden 2013
Don't get me wrong, the show had a great message... but it wasn't at all what I (and I guess plenty of other people, if forum activity here is to be judged) expected. Too much focus on Jun's oh-so-dramatic life (and his growing out of it, good on him!) and too little over-the-top, flashy doll fights.

III. Gonna borrow Dr. Casey's words for this one. Hit the nail in the head.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Maoyuu Maou Yuusha wins 'Most Disappointing Anime of the Year' from me. Almost every other disappointing anime of 2013 has at least been enjoyable to some extent. Maoyuu just stunk. The first episode was deceptively good and I enjoyed the maid girl's impassioned speech around episode 9 or so, but those are basically the only redeeming points for me... well, and the Demon Queen was hot. Otherwise I found it a horribly boring series that barely capitalized on the lone element of the story I found interesting (that being the relationship between the Hero and Demon Queen, who despite being the main hero and heroine barely interacted past the first episode or two).
IV. Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
Great setting and characters... at least a certain blonde prince who shall remain unnamed began acting out of character and dragged the whole show down with him.
Fortunately he seems to be over that phase now.
Dark Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 22:32   Link #32
Darthtabby

Shouldn't we be doing this in 2014 when the Fall 2013 shows have finished airing?

Also, why has no one mentioned Infinite Stratos 2 yet? I realize the first season wasn't exactly a masterpiece of plot and substance, but season two has had way too much fan service-y filler material.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 23:45   Link #33
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Shouldn't we be doing this in 2014 when the Fall 2013 shows have finished airing?

Also, why has no one mentioned Infinite Stratos 2 yet? I realize the first season wasn't exactly a masterpiece of plot and substance, but season two has had way too much fan service-y filler material.
What I saw of Infinite Stratos 2 was indeed worse than Season 1. But those of us who feel that way are probably in a small group - We generally don't like harem antics, but we tolerated it in IS for the sake of elements in the show that we do like (mecha action, Charlotte, etc...). I would guess that most people watching Infinite Stratos genuinely like harem antics, so Season 2 isn't necessarily a decline in quality for them.

But for those of us watching mainly for Charlotte and/or the mecha action/plot? Yeah, it's been a disappointment.
Old 2013-11-27, 23:54   Link #34
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Watching for Charlotte or Mecha is the LEAST things that you would get from Infinite Stratos.
Spoiler for Comparison to the novels:

Beside, what is so good about Charlotte? The Sarashiki sisters totally topped her. And you could raising your faith a bit with ep.8!

So, to summary, this is just a promote season for that upcoming Infinite Stratos game, just like Highschool DxD. Not bad, but not so good.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2013-11-28 at 13:53.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-27, 23:59   Link #35
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
C_O_P_P_E_L_I_O_N

It's not a sci-fi anime in the First PLACE.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 04:17   Link #36
Arya

2013 didn't have many series I watched, so neither that disappointed me. I was thinking of picking on Red Data Girl, mostly because is a PA works, but the fact that I usually forget about this series, as others apparently , doesn't really qualify it as disappointing. At least it still had the PAW mood, or so I call it, so for me at least it's not the worst PAW series.

So the first one that comes to mind is:
Attack on Titan: it had great potential that felt wasted as the series went on. And even the direction felt not well handled. If it had any, if I remember correctly, it followed faithfully the manga. Oh, the dialogues often sucked also. And two third of the main cast, the male component, was noisily overdramatic. Onestly it felt a bit of a mess.

And probably Majestic Prince: I dropped along the way, but I don't think it redeemed itself by the end. The mixture of an overall predictability and completely lack of fighting suspense due to the fact that nobody actually suffered a scratch killed all my will to keep on following the series. Even romance-wise, that usually help me to keep following, it didn't go anywhere. I waited to see if the Lacus clone would have added some spice but she didn't. It had potential. Sadly it remained potential.

I would add Gargantia, but I don't. Since probably the fact that I had no idea it was a SoL in disguise misled my expectations. But when I came up with that, they threw me a bunch of info about the plot, they gave me a villain and a conflict that they then resolved so quickly that I would have preferred that the Sol standard lasted to the end. In any case I can't really pick on it not being my cup of tea.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 06:40   Link #37
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
4. Yuushibu - after Maou-sama! I thought this had potential since it was a reversal of the series in terms of premise, but I was wrong I got generic poorly done ecchi-ness.

3. Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai. (or specials) - after the "true" end of S1 I had some hope for S2, but that was all dashed as the show wanted to show it didn't prefer to be good, or have a sensible ending.

1. Kyoukai no Kanata I think this has been covered plenty in this thread .
I forgot one and reranking .

2. Futari wa Milky Holmes - JC staff managed to turn one of their most hilarious and creative franchises with a very unique style of comedy into a very bland, predictable, and no-fun allowed version of itself with this spin-off.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 07:45   Link #38
paraalso

MaoYuu. The source material was great, and I probably wouldn't have read it if the anime hadn't introduced me to the world. However, the anime version was more interesting in showcasing useless meat than storytelling. Just a sloppy adaptation all around.
paraalso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 09:10   Link #39
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
I'm gonna list my worst anime on this thread, but I think it's early for me... Likewise, I might do it differently since I might add anime series from January to March 2014 and not the other one aired this year.

You may delete this post if you want to but this is my opinion.

Last edited by Benigmatica; 2013-11-28 at 09:22.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-28, 10:42   Link #40
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Definitely Kyoukai no Kanata. I was really excited about this when it was first announced. Kyoani doing a fantasy/action anime instead of their usual slice of life? That's no way this won't be awesome! However, Kyoani did find a way. The show is horribly generic, the characters are badly written and bland, and even the action is somehow lacking. The only saving graces of the show are the animation and the art direction, which are excellent.

Second most disappointing would be Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. I thought this would be Spice and Wolf's successor but it had none of its charm. The execution was completely dull. It's one of the most boring series I've watched all year, so much that I had actually forgotten all about it until I saw Casey's post.