AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-03-26, 17:46   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Looks like Sentai got this one too:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ostel-behavior
Old 2014-03-26, 19:50   Link #22
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

It looks gorgeous and... reminds me of Sakurasou. :O
Old 2014-04-03, 16:19   Link #23
Birdway
Banned

This thread should be moved to Current Series, episode 1 is out.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 00:00   Link #24
eceso

definitely not what i was expecting but xD it had it's moments i think it has potential
eceso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 00:19   Link #25
bakaouji

The first thing that caught my eye was how barely serviceable the animation was compared to the lavishly rendered sparkling backgrounds. Despite the limited animation, the characters appear to be filled with life thanks to the stark colors that make your eyes pop. Even the romantic scenes mainly comprised of still-shots are overflowing with personality.

The premise of the show is as old as Maison Ikkoku-- a bunch of colorful oddball characters are all shacked up in an inn, which in this case is divided into two territories: the male and female sections-- and as recently as the much despised Sakurasou. If there's any fear that this show is gonna retread the same ground simply based on the first episode, then rest assured, you were right, with the caveat that it's actually pretty good. Although, I must confess that so far only the old lady has managed to make me laugh consistently.

There's your usual stock of characters: there's a perpetually heartbroken salacious lady who continuously tries to seduce the protag for jollies, there's the pedophile who's also a masochist and probably a lot of other unspeakable things, and lastly, there's the female protagonist, and MC's love interest, who's mostly tacit as she conveys more with her expressions than with words.

On their own they aren't so funny but shove them all into one room and it gets pretty rowdy and in a good way. I feel the show's strengths will be mainly determined by how well they play off each other. The first episode gives me little to worry but there's always a good chance as is the case with most shows that the show may reuse the same jokes at the expense of the wacky personalities of the tenants without ever developing their characters.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 00:39   Link #26
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

I'm just expecting a light vr to watch this, since well, I loved Love Lab, and I really hope this is just as good as Love Lab was..
SuitUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 02:16   Link #27
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Made it in 12 minutes before quitting. This was dreadful. It's dull, annoying, and stupid.

Feels like low grade light novel crap, which is surprising to me considering it's a manga adaption and by the guy who did Love Live (which i enjoyed) no less.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 02:50   Link #28
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 1:

All I can say is that Kawaisou is a wackier and gaudy-colored version of Sakurasou... Heck, it reminds me of those early SILVER LINK shows like BakaTest Season 1.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 03:10   Link #29
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakaouji View Post
The first thing that caught my eye was how barely serviceable the animation was compared to the lavishly rendered sparkling backgrounds. Despite the limited animation, the characters appear to be filled with life thanks to the stark colors that make your eyes pop. Even the romantic scenes mainly comprised of still-shots are overflowing with personality.
I'm not sure what you consider to be average/good animation, but things like the first episode of Wizard Barristers, Kyoani shows or Mikakunin de Shinkoukei should not be taken as a benchmark for "average". To say that the animation (at least for the first episode) is "barely serviceable" seems like an huge exaggeration.

There is ample animation where appropriate, and the "lesser budget" scene don't seem hellishly awkward like in many other series. I would say that the so called "barely serviceable" animation here can be considered well above average.

Good start to the series to say the least. Sakurasou-like premise has already been pointed out by many, and I look forward to see how it pans out.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 03:12   Link #30
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm... well, it definitely is pretty faithful to the manga from what I remember. I also felt the OP and the ED were pretty effective and the animation certainly was quite detailed in terms of backgrounds and the like.

The thing is I was only able to get through a few chapters in the manga because when it came down to it the charas did not come to matter to me, and I am finding the same thing happening here, alas.

I will give the next ep a try, but at the moment it is... well... not engaging when it comes down to it.
Old 2014-04-04, 03:49   Link #31
kobester11

It kinda sucks when people compare this and only Sakurasou comes to mind. The closest comparison wpuld be Maison Ikokku and Mahoraba(without the mixed personalities)

Overall, episode was trying too much to be funny. Animation is good reminds me old school back when characters actually have shadings. The filters were awesome. Good episode hope they retain that quality throughout the quality.
kobester11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 07:48   Link #32
Birdway
Banned

I don't got the comparison with Sakurasou either...

Oh, in regsrding first impressions Reckoner's reminds me of those people whining cuz Love La wasn't the yuri they wanted to be ;heh:.

So one episode isn't enough to judge this series, specially for its author.
Birdway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 08:42   Link #33
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET artist

Spoiler for Episode 1:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 08:45   Link #34
ValvraveTruth

Cute

Episode 1 seems good and promising but the romance in this one looks fruitless till the last episode?
ValvraveTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 09:33   Link #35
bakaouji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipze View Post
I'm not sure what you consider to be average/good animation, but things like the first episode of Wizard Barristers, Kyoani shows or Mikakunin de Shinkoukei should not be taken as a benchmark for "average". To say that the animation (at least for the first episode) is "barely serviceable" seems like an huge exaggeration.

There is ample animation where appropriate, and the "lesser budget" scene don't seem hellishly awkward like in many other series. I would say that the so called "barely serviceable" animation here can be considered well above average.
Spoiler for Image from Ep.1:

Nope, the shows you've mentioned have what I consider above average production values. The line art in this show is very inconsistent and ugly, but it is saved by the superior art direction and a good sense of aestheticism. I was put-off by it at first but I got used to it because despite the limited animation, the show managed to end up looking pretty throughout.
bakaouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 09:55   Link #36
SidVicious
Anime addict

Maison Ikkoku feelings...minus the widow.
Old 2014-04-04, 10:24   Link #37
ookamigirl

The animation sure is nice ^^ up to a certain point when it's just flashy.
Characters appearances are pretty good.
Story is a bit weird-ish though.
It's also kinda fun in a weird way.
This has potential, but I'm not really sure what to do.
I might watch a few more episodes before my final decision.
If nothing better comes along I'll probably pick it up.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 10:25   Link #38
ID555
Kamaboko smash & grab

That was excellent! Been a while since I saw an anime like Ano Hi or Hanasaku. I went into this blind, so I kept waiting for some gimmick to come up. The art/animation looks a little weird at times, but hopefully the show keeps up the quality storywise.
ID555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-04, 10:26   Link #39
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I think people compare this to Sakurasou because the main girl seems similar to Mashiro at first glance, albeit far less autistic. They're both aloof, expressionless beauty.

Not sure this is going to be any good yet. I didn't really like any of the characters, and the comedy was pretty dull. Only its great aesthetics are saving this show so far.
Old 2014-04-04, 13:20   Link #40
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I'm enjoying this so far. Slow developing, but the main characters at least have possibilities. Love Lab started well and then spun its wheels, so perhaps this will happen here (same manga author). But okay so far, for me.

Loved Kana-chan's voice here. I think her character will be more amenable than we expect: she was reading a book about how to apologize. She probably feels she acts hastily, and wishes she could control herself.

Loved fhana's OP.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote