Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2015-05-19, 23:45   Link #21
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Quick question: do I need to see any of the other Mad Max movies before I see this one? I'm hearing good things about the action (which is what I'll be going to it for), but if I need to see the other Mad Max films first...

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-19, 23:58   Link #22
Sheba
Shitpost Gremlin

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
Quick question: do I need to see any of the other Mad Max movies before I see this one? I'm hearing good things about the action (which is what I'll be going to it for), but if I need to see the other Mad Max films first...
Each Mad Max movie can be watched as stand alone movies.
Old 2015-05-20, 00:10   Link #23
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Yeah, watch them if you want or not, in any order.

First one I ever saw as a kid was Road Warrior (Mad Max 2) which got me hooked.
Then came Thunderdome halfway through the 90s and then 10 minutes of the 1st that aired on tv at one time.

I only really saw the 1st Mad Max for the first time in my life... last week.
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-20, 01:15   Link #24
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

i thought mad max2 was the best of the mad max movies.
Old 2015-05-20, 05:16   Link #25
Sheba
Shitpost Gremlin

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
It's Road Warrior that pretty much set the tone for the post-apocalyptic genre, from anime like Fist of the North Star to games like Fallout.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-20, 14:46   Link #26
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Back from the theatre! After hearing soooo much about it and having a number of peple rate it at 8.7+/10, I decided to watch Fury Road. Alright, let's get this started:
Spoiler for Movie commentary, spoilers included!:

Overall, I wouldn't rate it higher than 7.8/10. It was very good, don't get me wrong...just not THAT good. I feel that people exaggerated when talking about it, but I don't regret watching this one.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-20, 14:54   Link #27
sunset
Twilight Impersonator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i thought mad max2 was the best of the mad max movies.
I concur.
My favorite of the franchise as well, so far.

Still pondering if I should take my nieces to go see this one.
You guys think two 15-16 years girls who watch The 100 religiously can stomach this movie's level of violence?
sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-20, 15:03   Link #28
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Probably, the only explicit scene is one where...
Spoiler for said scene, death of an important character:

but other than that, it's mostly takedowns and explosions, headshots and a bit of stabbing.
Old 2015-05-20, 15:45   Link #29
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
I'll touch on this first because I feel the exact opposite.
What I meant was that the movie doesn't rely on excessive depictions of violence to get the point across that violent things are happening. The use of short cuts, sound effects, and minimal gore (for lack of words) actually help the violence feel more brutal, not less. It lets the imagination of the audience do most of the dirty work, and because of those elements the violence never feels comical or overdone.

For example:

Spoiler for Scene in the movie:

All I want are stories that don't insult my intelligence by acting as if I can't understand what I'm seeing on the screen unless an actor spells it out and/or the director specifically shows it. Mad Max was able to do that, which impressed me.

Or heck, pretend I'm smarter than I am and let me think about it myself. Maybe I won't get it right away, or at all, and that's okay. Food for thought is a good thing, and not everything needs an immediate explanation, or any explanation at all. Interpretation is a good thing. It spurs discussion and creative thought.

Quote:
This dude called Max who is haunted by ghosts (who knows what those are?)
People who watched the other three Mad Max movies. But I thought it was pretty clear that whatever happened to them, or whoever they were, he was haunted by his involvement with their deaths. A little more explanation might have been nice, but I don't think it was needed.
Old 2015-05-20, 16:07   Link #30
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The absence of splatter scenes is indeed welcome, people these days are too caught up trying to depict something "realistic" and underestimate what can be accomplished without being overly graphic.

As for Max, I know that getting Max's backstory was a no-go in this one, since he's just riding along (and this one hates too much talking :P), but seeing ghosts in the middle of a fight, twice, seemed out of place. If his character were to have a flashback, it could have been at the end of the second part of the movie, before the final stretch.
Old 2015-05-24, 17:06   Link #31
ChuckE
Provoker

Watched it.I won't be trying to find the hidden meaning behind the film. I don't care. Simple as that.

Well. To the point. What can I say?
Basically the whole movie is an extended version of the pursuit from the second movie. I even roughly say that it's the whole movie itself: travelling main bad guy's harem from point 1 to point 2. And backwards. On the truck.

Things I liked.
1) Max being an observer. Yes, I believe that his point in the movie is to be an observer. He just participated in the event and was not a main actor there. I liked that.

2) The chase in the second movie was spectacular. What could be even better ? Of couse bigger chase! Yeah. I loved its scale there. And the episode when sandman...whoops I mean sandstorm entered LoL. Well that was great!
3) Cars. I love post apocalyptic cars. Interestingly enought the cars in the post apocalyptic movies usually represented by cars from 80-s or something earlier. That always bugged but whatever. Though there were some modern cars too. Overall those monstrous facilities with cars were like eye-candy for me.
And of course the main character - the truck!! Yes! It's awesome. And the idea to extinguish the flame using truck's plow and the sand....10/10

About the story...I did not feel the characters. I did not feel those harem girls...Maybe because there wasn't any backstory for them. I simply was not able to empathize them. I was not able to feel that `birds in the cage` idea because it's not detailed enough.

Basically I enjoyed the movie because I was not trying to find special sense behind it.
I'll give it 9 out of 10 because of the whole action. I could give 10 but Max lost his car LoL

P.S. The guy with a guitar definitely eats his bread. Dat passion towards music. Overall that music platform was a great addition!

P.P.S For whatever reason they added ghosts from the past. C'mon. It was long time ago.

Last edited by ChuckE; 2015-05-25 at 07:53.
ChuckE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-27, 00:49   Link #32
solidguy
I'm not a tumor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post

There's some pacing issues, and Max could have used a few more moments of badass, but this is one of the best action movies I've seen in a very, very long time. Perhaps since the 90's, even.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Mad Max is receiving so much admiration because it is a throw back to an earlier era of action films. It feels very 80's early 90's to me in its depiction of dystopia
solidguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-05-30, 14:00   Link #33
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally watch the movie and what a treat it was.
The movie is like "Mad Max VS Orks" since Immortan Joe and his War Boys act like the Warhammer 40k green menace with their love of battle, rusty metal vehicles and their hammy screaming sounds like a WAAAGH!
Great story as well with my favorite character being Nux.
Spoiler for movie plot:

BTW, is there any difference in scenes from where your watching the movie?
Spoiler for Question:
Old 2015-05-30, 15:39   Link #34
HasuMasu
*Artist

Yeah, she was naked.
Old 2015-05-31, 05:06   Link #35
Kafriel
Senior Guest

^Indeed. There are many scenes changed or removed depending on where you're watching, happened with another movie I recently watched twice (was missing 2-3 short scenes that could be described as offensive to certain groups).

Quote:
Watched it.I won't be trying to find the hidden meaning behind the film. I don't care. Simple as that.
Wait, there's a hidden meaning behind all this? :O
Old 2015-06-01, 18:50   Link #36
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
Saw the movie today. I expected the post-apocalyptic world, but did not expect the entire 80's feel to it. It also irked me that there seemed to be a lot more to Max's character with the ghosts, and we get absolutely no explanation (keep in mind this is the only Mad Max I've seen so far). A few guesses, yes... and also, we're given a 30 second to maybe a minute of how the world was made post-apocalyptic. Maybe it's because I've seen two action movies in a row, but I could've used some more explanation there.

On a related note, something I found both good and bad was the simplicity of the plot:
Spoiler for Just in case:

And I probably should see the other Mad Max movies, because there was something else that I was confused about the whole time, other than the ghosts:
Spoiler for What I couldn't figure out:

I probably should also mention that between all the flaming pipes, the drums, and the guitar guy, they all felt like they were literally thrown into the movie for the sole purpose of being a throwback to the 80's. They seemed to serve no purpose otherwise.

Despite all that, I give the movie a solid 9. The only other part that I didn't quite like was the absolute end:
Spoiler for After all is resolved:

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-15, 09:36   Link #37
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Um No, Mad Max Isn't Ripping Off Fist of the North Star

I can't help but laugh over younger Japanese fans thinking Mad Max Fury Road is copying Fist of The North Star when it's the other way around.
Old 2015-06-16, 03:54   Link #38
Jaden

I thought the movie was great. It's difficult to be 90% action and spectacle like this, yet still be artsy as well. It made me think that Hollywood might have grown up a little.
Old 2015-06-23, 02:14   Link #39
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Spoiler for Mad Max hot chicks:

Anywho, decent movie in my eyes...then again, the other Mad Max movies never really caught my interest either.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-28, 12:27   Link #40
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Hideo Kojima Meets Mad Max Creator George Miller

Kojima has been witnessed!