Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 16:29   Link #23
aakun4

I'm a big fan of the original work so I knew the show itself wasn't going to disappoint. The only problem is just as expected, Adult!Satoru's VA. It just doesn't work. The dialogue scenes are mostly ok (this is being REALLY undemanding though, it's still far from the standard level of any actual VA) but the monologues are just cringe-worthy.

I'm far from being an expert in what's good voice acting and what isn't, but I think anyone that watches enough anime can notice something is clearly not working here. It's really a shame because it's the only clear flaw I found in this episode and I know a lot of people are really picky about VA work but I hope they won't give up on the series for it, the show is still really worth it.

With that said, the show is still great and the visuals were as great as expected from noitamina. Can't wait for the rest.
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 16:40   Link #24
Blueknight78

Quote:
Originally Posted by aakun4 View Post
I'm a big fan of the original work so I knew the show itself wasn't going to disappoint. The only problem is just as expected, Adult!Satoru's VA. It just doesn't work. The dialogue scenes are mostly ok (this is being REALLY undemanding though, it's still far from the standard level of any actual VA) but the monologues are just cringe-worthy.

I'm far from being an expert in what's good voice acting and what isn't, but I think anyone that watches enough anime can notice something is clearly not working here. It's really a shame because it's the only clear flaw I found in this episode and I know a lot of people are really picky about VA work but I hope they won't give up on the series for it, the show is still really worth it.

With that said, the show is still great and the visuals were as great as expected from noitamina. Can't wait for the rest.
well coming from manga standpoint i get annoyed with the fact which they "cut" a lot of things here like 3 to 4 chapters, if they are planning in have a "ending"(one season only anime) then probably fine but as a adpatation of the manga the ammount of material cut was true unfair.

the pace was really too fast for my taste.
Old 2016-01-07, 16:48   Link #25
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
The only problem is just as expected, Adult!Satoru's VA. It just doesn't work. The dialogue scenes are mostly ok (this is being REALLY undemanding though, it's still far from the standard level of any actual VA) but the monologues are just cringe-worthy.
I personally had no problems with the VA at all. In fact the dry and lame voice felt intentional and realistic to me.
Old 2016-01-07, 17:02   Link #26
aakun4

^ From what I read so far a lot of people actually like it so maybe it's just me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post
well coming from manga standpoint i get annoyed with the fact which they "cut" a lot of things here like 3 to 4 chapters, if they are planning in have a "ending"(one season only anime) then probably fine but as a adpatation of the manga the ammount of material cut was true unfair.

I know that feeling but it's inevitable really. If they were completely faithful to the manga there wouldn't be enough time to cover enough of the story in 12 episodes and give a decent closure to the anime. Also in current times you need to get the audience interested in your show asap, so ending the first episode with a big cliffhanger is the most efficient way to get the job done.

for those interested:

Spoiler for brief manga comparisons:
aakun4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 17:22   Link #27
Kenju of the Right
Imagine Breaker

Yeah i thought the chops were worth it because i really wanted it to get to that cliffhanger, there was no better ending
Intellectual Village: Volume 6 Chapter 3
Mitou Shoukan:// Blood Sign Volume 1 Chapter 1
Heavy Object: Volume 10 Complete
Gakusen Toshi Asterisk: Volume 7 Chapter 2
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Volume 12 Chapter 12
Rokka no Yuusha Volume 4 Chapter 1

Kenju of the Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 17:51   Link #28
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Damn, now I know what all the fuss is about. That was absolutely amazing. Love that cinematic ending.

I did kinda lol when the MC's mom figured everything out though, because I immediately thought "well I guess that's it for her". And I was right.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 17:52   Link #29
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Promising start. I thought Akasaki Chinatsu (Nibutani in Chuunibyou) as the co-worker was particularly good, but I liked the voice of the (adult) main character, too. His understandably depressive personality is fairly familiar, lol. I read a bit of the manga, but didn't even get this far -- not because I didn't like it, but because I didn't want to know too much. I look forward to hearing Yuuki Aoi as the little girl who was abducted.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 18:00   Link #30
Wandering Soul

This was a great start. They made a few changes, but they were necessary to end the episode where they wanted it to end. Looking forward to how they do the rest of this.
Old 2016-01-07, 18:21   Link #31
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Just throwing this here, but Satoru's VA made me cringe a couple times too. I've heard "bored and detached" many times and really, on some lines this seemed plain "reading the script as it is". It felt like the apathetic one who couldn't be bothered putting any effort wasn't the character as much as the actor himself. If that makes sense to you.

Other than that, great episode, eager to see it follow suit!

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 18:46   Link #32
Dop
Mmmm....

Fantastic.

And personally, I felt the voice acting of the main character sounded perfectly naturalistic and right.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 18:51   Link #33
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

Gotta agree ... that was an excellent start ... really engaging and well done. Definitely the strongest first ep of the season I have seen yet.

Consider me committing to this one already.
Old 2016-01-07, 19:04   Link #34
CptChaos

They skipped so many strong moments. They can easily add some of the flashbacks like the matsuri later on, but the potential of the revivals was kinda wasted. Still a very good start.

Quote:
It was actually quite the opposite for me. Liked the monologues while the dialogues didn't sound very good.
CptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 21:51   Link #35
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Yay for Asian Kung-fu Generation song !!!
Great 1st episode so far. Havent read the original manga, but so far the pacing for 1st episode IMO is alright. Not too fast, not too slow
Azuma Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 22:11   Link #36
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

That is some first episode the mc just seems to be so unlucky
Old 2016-01-07, 22:15   Link #37
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueknight78 View Post

They certainly burned through a lot of material, but it didn't bother me the way the first episode of Gangsta. That felt like they were just cramming as much as they could into twenty-two minutes, whereas this feels like they're streamlining the story to make it more cinematic. A straight scene-for-scene adaptation would be so slow it'd turn off half the audience.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 22:38   Link #38
Irenesharda

That was a really good first episode. Time to get this murder mystery started!

They did cut out a few things from the manga and they have sped up some things as well, but I still get the overall feeling what is going on. I say this was a pretty good start to the series. I almost wish I hadn't read the manga so I could keep guessing with everyone else, but it'll still be fun nonetheless.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 22:46   Link #39
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I wonder if the rest of the show going to focus on him as a kid and try to solve just one mystery along the way?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-07, 23:16   Link #40
Elestia

Definitely gonna watch this. I came in watching this blind and really enjoyed the first episode. I was surprised to learn the MC was 29 years old, he looked a lot younger than I though.