AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-10-16, 23:14   Link #21
Sakaki
Watakushi wa heiki desu!

Send a message via AIM to Sakaki
When I was in Tokyo a couple of years ago, flipping through the channels you could actually find quite a few American shows on TV., sitcoms and drams. The neatest thing I thought was on some channels you could listen to one of three audio streams, dubbed, English, and a mixture of both (with the English a little quieter than the Japanese). I was watching ER, and they did a pretty good job matching up the Japanese actors with the basic voice of the American actors.

On fansubbing I don't think it would be a prevalent there because it seems that your chance of see commercially aired American TV and movies in Japan is much better than Japanese shows (as in dramas and movies other than Godzilla types) in America.
Sakaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-16, 23:27   Link #22
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschultz
Just wondering. I mean if we do it to their shows they must do it to ours right?
Not that I have heard of.

Anime otakus here could care less of what Americans make.

The majority of Japanese have very little interest in American shows.

Shows that are touted as "very big" (i.e: "Sex and the City" etc. etc.) are highly exaggerated - they do not get nearly the big hit ratings as Japanese (and more recently, Korean) dramas
kj1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 01:19   Link #23
CalamitiesEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
Movies get released over there in theaters.

Something like the Simpsons...that could be interesting to see Japanese-dubbed.
I lived with my friends family for three weeks in Tokyo and they do have the simpsons dubed and its done real well. The Japanese capture the feel of the orginal version unlike what ADV and other English dubs do for anime

By the way here in Hong Kong we're getting kiddy grade finaly!
CalamitiesEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 01:21   Link #24
bschultz

Yeah its intresting to think about though. I mean the majority of americans who watch american cartoons I would say dont watch anime. Of course thats probibly because 90% more or less of american cartoons are aimed at children under the age of 13.

Cross that against japan where anime shows are made for the whole spectrum of age groups. so think of it this way. when you watch anime fan subs are you watching the shows that are made for 5year olds? hehe no you are watching the shows that are made for the age groups of 13 and up.... most likely.

also lets not forget that japinese anime has its roots in american cartoons, such as disney.
bschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 02:11   Link #25
sOnJoOL

Send a message via AIM to sOnJoOL Send a message via MSN to sOnJoOL
donno bout american stuff, but they are dubbing korean dramas like
winter sonata.
sOnJoOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 06:09   Link #26
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
*shrugs* Why not? There's enough good shows out there.

Look at some of the more popular TV shows that have been out there in the past few years:
Simpsons
Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
Sex and the City
Alias
Sopranos
um..someone else help me out here...
...Will and Grace.
...Scrubs
...Nip tuck.
...Small Ville.
...The O.C
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 06:22   Link #27
sarcasteak
WAHA~

...Seinfeld
...Everybody Loves Raymond
...Everwood

^_^;;
sarcasteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 08:17   Link #28
Access

I know Powerpuff girls is shown on japanese TV, dubbed. Japan has their own cartoon network channel, that shows a lot of the same shows cartoon network does here, and occasional older animes like Floral Elf Maribel. If you have the earlier honobono fansubs of this, it has the cartoon network logo.

Red Dwarf was also dubbed in japanese, but that is british (not US).
I'm sure there's some going on, but not as prevalent as here, since most of the younger japanese who'd care about it know some english already.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 10:44   Link #29
Joe Dalton

Quote:
*shrugs* Why not? There's enough good shows out there.

Look at some of the more popular TV shows that have been out there in the past few years:
Simpsons
Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel
Sex and the City
Alias
Sopranos
um..someone else help me out here...
Scrubs
Family guy
Futurama
Angel
The invisible man

And ofcourse baywatch... but there is no need to sub it because it speak the univeral language of giant boobs
Joe Dalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 10:58   Link #30
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

there are definitely english movies fansubbed in Japanese, I've come upon a lot of them over the internet...

about TV shows... well... are there many english fansubbed j-dramas anyway?
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-17, 10:58   Link #31
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I don't imagine too many of our shows would be fansubbed in Japan; for the "cartoons" the adult cartoons are generally all comical in nature, and the comedy highly derives from cultural references, so it'd probably be lost on them. As for TV shows, even our fansubbing world barely touches things like JDramas (though there have been some attempts... and yes, I know Peach Girl wasn't a JDrama). Anime's unique because it isn't necessarily made purely for adults or children, and it attempts to cover other genres.

I have actually found a Japanese fansub of an American film: Fahrenheit 9/11. The American film industry is powerful enough that it can distribute its works all over the place pretty efficiently, so there isn't much a need for fansubs of American shows, but I don't imagine Fahrenheit 9/11 would have been exported anywhere (except perhaps to England?) given the purpose behind it. If that's true, then it makes sense that fansubs would exist, and perhaps it'd reaffirm that the world, in wanting to see a Bush-bashing film, really doesn't like Bush Just thought I'd share my find. Didn't download it, just found it in a file search, sorry.
Old 2004-10-17, 14:44   Link #32
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:
Cross that against japan where anime shows are made for the whole spectrum of age groups. so think of it this way. when you watch anime fan subs are you watching the shows that are made for 5year olds? hehe no you are watching the shows that are made for the age groups of 13 and up.... most likely.
The cold hard truth is:

"anime shows are made for the whole spectrum of age groups" = "hard core otaku subculture."

The vast majority of Japanese adults do not watch anime.
Old 2004-10-18, 00:24   Link #33
bschultz

hmm thats intresting because i read somewhere that animation made up 60% of the japinese entertainment industry. but if only the hardcore type watch it then 60% just doesnt seem right. What about mangas in japan compaired to anime? is it more common place to see someone reading a manga then to see someone watching an anime?

makes me wonder what is bigger here in america. the comic book/manga industry or the anime/cartoon indurtry.
Old 2004-10-18, 01:03   Link #34
Newprimus
NO ESCAPE FROM NYAAA
*Artist

Quote:
hmm thats intresting because i read somewhere that animation made up 60% of the japinese entertainment industry. but if only the hardcore type watch it then 60% just doesnt seem right. What about mangas in japan compaired to anime? is it more common place to see someone reading a manga then to see someone watching an anime?

makes me wonder what is bigger here in america. the comic book/manga industry or the anime/cartoon indurtry.

Maybe the hardcore segment pays a lot? *shrug*
Old 2004-10-18, 01:15   Link #35
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

Quote:

I've written numerous "articles" in this board explaing this.

I believe it is safe to say "do a search under my user name, and you'll find vast resources of information to open you up to 'the real world' of Japan."
Old 2004-10-18, 01:55   Link #36
bschultz

oh ok cool! i will do so. thanks for the info!
Old 2004-10-18, 11:55   Link #37
domino
デレデレ

I've seen quite a few Japanese subtitled American movies floating around on the internet ^^; (fansubbed, most likely, because the movies were brand new... or maybe not? Since I think the American movies play in Japanese theaters with subtitles already on them).

But as for American animated TV shows, a lot of Japanese anime fans I've seen at Oekaki boards are familiar with Powerpuff Girls and South Park. Yes, South Park has a Japanese dub. :D It sounds really good, too... I hear that Trey Parker and Matt Stone do some of the Japanese voices themselves. The other cast members of the Japanese South Park are actually quite famous in anime (Yuuki Hiro and Yamaguchi Kippei are the ones I remember, though I doubt I spelled the latter right).
domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 15:01   Link #38
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
I don't imagine too many of our shows would be fansubbed in Japan; for the "cartoons" the adult cartoons are generally all comical in nature, and the comedy highly derives from cultural references, so it'd probably be lost on them. As for TV shows, even our fansubbing world barely touches things like JDramas (though there have been some attempts... and yes, I know Peach Girl wasn't a JDrama). Anime's unique because it isn't necessarily made purely for adults or children, and it attempts to cover other genres.

I have actually found a Japanese fansub of an American film: Fahrenheit 9/11. The American film industry is powerful enough that it can distribute its works all over the place pretty efficiently, so there isn't much a need for fansubs of American shows, but I don't imagine Fahrenheit 9/11 would have been exported anywhere (except perhaps to England?) given the purpose behind it. If that's true, then it makes sense that fansubs would exist, and perhaps it'd reaffirm that the world, in wanting to see a Bush-bashing film, really doesn't like Bush Just thought I'd share my find. Didn't download it, just found it in a file search, sorry.
You're probably right about the cartoons. I'm sure most Asians who have little knowledge of American culture wouldn't find them very funny.

What I'm interested in is if shows in English are usually subbed or dubbed when aired on Japanese TV. I know most central and western European countries dub everything into their biggest national language. I think that's like raping a show, though. Now that I think about how most Japanese pronounce English, I bet they dub most shows/movies.

In Finland, only children's movies and shows are dubbed into Finnish because young kids might not be fast enough to read subtitles. The rest are pretty much always in the original language with subtitles. Even Spirited Away was in Japanese with Finnish subtitles.

BTW, Fahrenheit 9/11 (and Bowling for Columbine) had a major theater release here in Finland and I'd imagine in the rest of Scandinavia as well.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-18, 15:16   Link #39
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Queer Eye for the Straight Guy ... now that's the one I want to see dubbed.

or one of Christopher Lowels discovery channel shows.

[lisp]Yay, we successfully turned lampshades into teacups, isn't that just fabulous?[/lisp]

+ Japanised
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 17:28   Link #40
Ziv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access
I know Powerpuff girls is shown on japanese TV, dubbed. Japan has their own cartoon network channel, that shows a lot of the same shows cartoon network does here, and occasional older animes like Floral Elf Maribel. If you have the earlier honobono fansubs of this, it has the cartoon network logo.

Red Dwarf was also dubbed in japanese, but that is british (not US).
I'm sure there's some going on, but not as prevalent as here, since most of the younger japanese who'd care about it know some english already.
do you mean the american powerpuff girls or the powerpuff girls anime?
Ziv is offline   Reply With Quote