Softsub. I want the option to be able to turn them off. 11 42.31%
I don't care. 6 23.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-03-19, 11:20   Link #21
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
In any way, ordered chapters + editions would pretty much be the ideal solution if they just could be used properly on every platform.
Having it work on each platform isn't necessarily a requirement, since it's not like they wouldn't be able to play the file at all... they just wouldn't get the same candy as Windows users would. However the approach you are suggesting is definitely interesting, although not everyone could be bothered with the creation of the chapters. Anyway, I quite like this idea, and might actually try and give it a shot next time (so far the OP/ED linking I've been using seems have been received fairly well by the leechers -- although you never know how many curse in quiet) the opportunity comes around the corner for me.
Old 2008-03-19, 12:24   Link #22
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Can I suggest something?
As an end user I actually like them. I just ask that groups stay away from using green and red. 5% of the world's population is red/green colourblind (like myself) so green text dissappears into red backgrounds and vice versa. I tend to remux where possible stuff I d/l but hardsubbed it's a bit difficult. As a side note Blue yellow and purple are the rarest forms.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 13:21   Link #23
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bot1 View Post
i don't get this. why do you want multiple subtitle tracks playing at the same time?

So that karaoke softsubs could be switched off without switching off the subbed translation itself. In a sense, so that it becomes an optional extra. As I say, though, this is probably a pipedream.
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 14:13   Link #24
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Dawn View Post
So that karaoke softsubs could be switched off without switching off the subbed translation itself.
You know, you could just make two dialogue scripts, one with and one without karaoke lines included. <_<;
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 21:19   Link #25
False Dawn
Florsheim Monster
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toua View Post
You know, you could just make two dialogue scripts, one with and one without karaoke lines included. <_<;

As far as I know though, fancy karaoke can't really be done softsubbed (this is foreign territory to me, so shoot me down if I'm wrong) and that's what I was thinking of when I said "softsubbed karaoke". I know that multisub is an option (one that's very unused, in fact), but it would only really allow basic styling and .ass tsing (afaik).
False Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-19, 21:42   Link #26
Bot1
The Supreme Pontiff

you can easily make a pretty nice softsubbed karaoke if you know what you are doing. also the tsing can pretty much be as advanced as you want it to be. in the entire time i've tsed i've only had to get a sign hardsubbed once

AKA Malakith
Bot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 01:05   Link #27
Yuudai-kun

OP/ED Karoke as softsubs would be cool. If softsub kara can eliminate badly done AE karaoke (Nodame Special ), i'm all for it!

I think all groups should at least provide softsubbed karaoke for all insert songs, because flashy hardsubbed karaoke within the episode/dialogue is really distracting.

Does anyone know what processor power would one need to play back a simple {\k..} karaoke anyway?
Yuudai-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 03:25   Link #28
cyth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-dono View Post
Does anyone know what processor power would one need to play back a simple {\k..} karaoke anyway?
You don't need much; ye old Pentium 4 and AMD Athlon 1800+ processors suffice, but processing also depends on the length of individual lines. So yeah, simple softsub karaoke are a viable possibility.
cyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 03:26   Link #29
Zippicus

Chalk one more up in the neutral column. It's very rare that I actually watch the op/ed segments anyways. I think Aria is the only show that I've actually watched every opening because they're all different and related to that particular episode.
Zippicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 05:08   Link #30
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baka-dono View Post
As Toua says, not very much. I know of several groups that use softsubbed \k or \kf karaoke for insert songs.
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 05:40   Link #31
Yuudai-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
As Toua says, not very much. I know of several groups that use softsubbed \k or \kf karaoke for insert songs.
That's interesting. Thanks for your replies.

Tbh, i'm a fan of simple \k karaoke. If the font choice is good and the colours as well, there's nothing to complain about (and if it's softsubbed, you could even adjust those to your liking).

So i have to agree with Daiz, softsubbed karaoke would be great.
Some people assume that nice karaoke means quality, some could care less (like me). Softsubbed \k style karaoke would be easy to make, faster (you don't need to encode it) and has all the advantages of softsub. Karaokestyler could still show of their skills with PVs
Yuudai-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 05:55   Link #32
Vegard Aune

I don't have a problem with karaoke-effects unless:
1. The lyrics are wrong, which often happens during the first few episodes an opening or ending is used, before the official lyrics become available. Dattebayo is particularly bad at this, where I've actually experienced that I've made a better guess at the lyrics than they did, and I hardly know anything at all about japanese grammar.
2. They're too flashy, like in the second opening in One Piece, where there was a scene where the subtitles literarily flew all across the entire screen, spinning around. They were completely unreadable, which completely defeats the purpose of having them there in the first place.

So yeah, I don't mind karaoke when it's done right, but I'd be just as happy without them. It's not like the lack of a karaoke-track has ever made me think "I am not going to buy this DVD because it lacks fancy karaoke-subtitles!!!!" or anything.
Vegard Aune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 06:41   Link #33
jfs
Aegisub dev

For the soft-\k topic, playback of plain \k or \kf should not take any additional CPU over what it takes to render a fully static line every frame. VSFilter uses a trick inside the rasteriser to switch over between different colours inside a scanline, it simply calculates "at pixel 342 switch to a different colour for fill" which is pretty much no slowdown at all. (If anyone have read Rasterizer.cpp that's what the 'switchpts' array does.)

Another trick that allows a bit more fancy soft karaoke is actually to split it into several smaller lines that each have a very simple effect. More effects clumped together on one line tends to slow things down a lot.

Aegisub developer [ Forum | Manual | Feature requests | Bug reports | IRC ]
Don't ask for: More VSFilter changes (I won't), karaoke effects, help in PM's
jfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 06:47   Link #34
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

No karaoke here...the general feeling is that we've got better things to do with our time like actually watching anime than sit and key in frame by frame effects.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 06:54   Link #35
martino
makes no files now

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore View Post
...than sit and key in frame by frame effects.
What?!

Key in frame by frame effects... wth. Don't tell me you typeset in Photoshop...
Old 2008-03-20, 12:12   Link #36
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
What?!

Key in frame by frame effects... wth. Don't tell me you typeset in Photoshop...
Somebody has never seen one of our releases....I nearly broke my chair laughing after this.

We don't do karaoke. We don't do 80,000 colours and sizes and positions when it comes to dialogue. We have lives and jobs and better uses of our time. Which reminds me, I need to check my rice...
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 13:51   Link #37
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

I love and hate making karaoke, but it's a good training for a non-creative person as me learn to be creative, learn how to go from an idea to realisation, and this may sound weird, but how to 'organize' that idea in steps (my head is chaotic, there's no start.. there's no end.. frankly, creating a karaoke/painting/whatever doesnt work the same way).

Also, i've never really liked going for the minimalistic approach, it's like studying just enough to get a 6/10. If you do something.. do it good or don't do it at all.
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 15:02   Link #38
Daiz
Pioneer in Fansub 2.0

I'd suggest doing something actually creative if you want to learn how to be creative... Styling karaoke isn't exactly what I'd call "creative work".

Also, in my opinion, you are free to do as styled karaoke as you want, as long as it can be turned off. There's already an explanation on how this can be achieved with hardsubbed karaoke in this thread.
Daiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 15:08   Link #39
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
It's just a chance for fansubbers to have some fun. Nothing more, nothing less.

Move along please. Nothing to see here.

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-20, 16:25   Link #40
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daiz View Post
I'd suggest doing something actually creative if you want to learn how to be creative... Styling karaoke isn't exactly what I'd call "creative work".
I don't like painting, it's useless. Fansubbing is what i enjoy doing, so creating karaoke (it's more than running a simple script for me) is what's best for me i guess.
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fansubbing, karaoke