AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2008-10-13, 22:15   Link #21
Theowne
耳をすませば

Well, I think there do exist people who fit that definition. Maybe not you, but I know many people who are insanely dedicated anime fans who have this rose-tinted view of Japan as a place where everything is perfect and all the problems of human-kind have vanished. Their lives would be complete once they set foot on that golden soil. I'm not kidding, by the way.

I don't believe this, though I certainly think Japan is one of the nicer places on this planet

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 22:29   Link #22
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

heh, that's why I provide the link. there *are* people who embarrass the rest of us...

I often wonder though what one would call people with an interest in Italy, Norway, or Canada? Why is there no derogatory term for the idiots among them?
Old 2008-10-13, 22:34   Link #23
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well there is a derogatory term "piettey" which means to be obsessed with Canada.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-13, 22:41   Link #24
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

There is an anime club in my University. and anime, while not a widely accepted habit it is not shunned upon in the social circles I hang out. Then again all the times I've told the people around me that I like Anime I'm sure to do it where I'm in a position it won't backfire (I tell it to another anime lover who said it first/I'm a senior member/the boss of an investigation group and the newer members have no hope of criticizing me )

It also helps that both my siblings like Anime (hell, my sister has watched more than twice than the series I've seen, and I've seen more than 250 ) so I've never feel contrained or ostracized within my own family about it. My sister is a lot more extroverted about her hobby than me though. She likes to randomly cosplay(the not so weird costumes you can somehow wear in public)/wear gothic lolita costumes just to show off/embarrass her friends/get odd looks (for some reason she likes that). My brother is a lot more shy about it and won't tell anyone that he has watched about 150 anime series. When I bring up that fact he firmly denies that he's as addicted to it as any of us. When asked about it he will deny any involvement with it. Go figure.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 00:56   Link #25
Eczema
Ah! Pretty Shining Love!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
heh, that's why I provide the link. there *are* people who embarrass the rest of us...

I often wonder though what one would call people with an interest in Italy, Norway, or Canada? Why is there no derogatory term for the idiots among them?
In Australia, bogun is the derogatory term for someone who goes overboard with the crikey and sheilas, etc.

btw, didn't know weeaboo was a negative slur.
Eczema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 09:24   Link #26
Mega-Japan
Capuchuuuuuuuuuu!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mega-Japan Send a message via Yahoo to Mega-Japan
I've never really had issues with this either, I mean, I've met people who just doesn't like anime and think it's stupid but not to the extent that they would discriminate me for watching it.

I suppose the events that happen in "Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu" can actually be true, eh? That would be plain dumb though...
Old 2008-10-14, 18:23   Link #27
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
So otaku is a term that can be tacked on any fan, regardless of how involved they are?

That's kind of hypocritical.
RadiantBeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 19:36   Link #28
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
So otaku is a term that can be tacked on any fan, regardless of how involved they are?

That's kind of hypocritical.
Hypocritical?
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 19:56   Link #29
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Hypocritical?
I guess I mean unfair, really. I understand that otakus exist, but it's not fair that the rest of the people who aren't into it as much but enjoy a certain aspect of it also get labelled as otakus when they aren't really into it that much at all.
Old 2008-10-14, 20:03   Link #30
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
I guess I mean unfair, really. I understand that otakus exist, but it's not fair that the rest of the people who aren't into it as much but enjoy a certain aspect of it also get labelled as otakus when they aren't really into it that much at all.
I see. That makes sense: I was just confused at the word "hypocritical."

And I agree, plastering the word as a synonym for anime fan is a bad idea. The otaku concept involves certain behaviors and levels of interest associated with it that doesn't really have to have anything to do with anime, but because people use them interchangeably, any anime fan ends up being considered the same as any otaku.

Injustice on either side, I'd say. The otaku would look down on the casual fans and the casual fans at otaku, and they end up grouped together...
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-14, 20:23   Link #31
Ryougi Shiki
私, オレ, lines of origin

I really really hate the people around here who like anime.

Especially the fatass who always yells HAJIMARU whenever anyone starts to do something. He rolls on the floor, smells terrible, and is ugly as shit.
Old 2008-10-14, 20:40   Link #32
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Injustice on either side, I'd say. The otaku would look down on the casual fans and the casual fans at otaku, and they end up grouped together...
So in the end, it's really a no win situation no matter how you look at it.
Old 2008-10-15, 00:31   Link #33
Xhokhusmak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryougi Shiki View Post
I really really hate the people around here who like anime.

Especially the fatass who always yells HAJIMARU whenever anyone starts to do something. He rolls on the floor, smells terrible, and is ugly as shit.
I fucking agree. It's those eccentrics and introverts that ruin everything.

Anime is not interesting to a lot of people, and the reason that otakus are hated is, aside from their usual introvert personality, it's very weird to them that there are people so into it. This is because it's relatively odd to watch non-kids cartoons as an adult and it isn't a built in part of our culture... yet.

If the industry actually finds anime to be an extremely profitable venture, then you'd bet they'll make this shit mainstream and accepted within the next few years. But alas, it's not gonna happen, the quality and presentation just isn't there to attract enough people.
Xhokhusmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 00:36   Link #34
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
All the time. My family in general scorns me for even knowing what anime is.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 05:27   Link #35
XenophunK
INACTIVITY

Send a message via MSN to XenophunK
You say "anime" and the reply is "KAWAII DESUNE- GTFO"
Old 2008-10-15, 05:44   Link #36
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

I'm not even into anime that much to begin with, and don't even get me started on the yaoi fangirls. We have way too many of them at my school.
Old 2008-10-15, 15:10   Link #37
einhorn303

Quote:
Yeah, I bloody hate casual fans. Or "normalfags," as we might say on /jp/. I guess I feel like

"The mobs of great cities add just so much to the support of pure government, as sores do to the strength of the human body." - Thomas Jefferson

Casual fans = a dissolution of the proper values and spirit of a fandom.

I guess you could say I am an "otaku"...I buy doujinshi, figures, moe products, tons of DVD's, and love loli. I sure as hell would be discriminated against, but any smart person is able to hide his deviant interests from the rest of society. I mean, I'm not gonna talk to my coworkers about "The uncensored Strike Witches DVD's are so ero wwww..." or anything like that.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 15:35   Link #38
XenophunK
INACTIVITY

Send a message via MSN to XenophunK
Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Yeah, I bloody hate casual fans. Or "normalfags," as we might say on /jp/. I guess I feel like

"The mobs of great cities add just so much to the support of pure government, as sores do to the strength of the human body." - Thomas Jefferson

Casual fans = a dissolution of the proper values and spirit of a fandom.

I guess you could say I am an "otaku"...I buy doujinshi, figures, moe products, tons of DVD's, and love loli. I sure as hell would be discriminated against, but any smart person is able to hide his deviant interests from the rest of society. I mean, I'm not gonna talk to my coworkers about "The uncensored Strike Witches DVD's are so ero wwww..." or anything like that.
Yes, yes, I've seen this on /jp/.
HAH, that would be an interesting conversation, the Strike Witches one.

I wish /a/ was a bit more civilized though.
Old 2008-10-15, 16:01   Link #39
Eigoman
やれやれだぜ...

I hate being called an 'Otaku' in general. I just hate that word. People have taken it to mean 'A really big anime fan', but I've only seen it as the Japanese word for 'Nerd' or 'Geek'. Call me an Anime Addict or any other synonym for it and I'm fine, but call me an 'Otaku' and it really pisses me off.
Eigoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-15, 17:21   Link #40
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigoman View Post
I hate being called an 'Otaku' in general. I just hate that word. People have taken it to mean 'A really big anime fan', but I've only seen it as the Japanese word for 'Nerd' or 'Geek'. Call me an Anime Addict or any other synonym for it and I'm fine, but call me an 'Otaku' and it really pisses me off.
Same here. I don't mind being called an an anime geek/fanatic/freak. I even use the term to refer to myself. But call me an otaku and I'll be really pissed off. There's a line between the normal, general fans and the crazed anime-lovin' game-playin' cosplayin' fans. People who just tack the term otaku on any fan of anime in any way don't get that.