AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-06-17, 14:20   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Got my copy of the manga today... interesting (o.O) style of translation - very sketchy, a fair amount of terms left in Japanese. *I* don't mind that, but they probably should have put the glossary of terms up front

The art is cute ... its by the same author as Kuro (Shoulder-a-coffin girl). Can't say it has anything that really stands out from its kin (Hidamari, Sketchbook, AzuDa, etc). However, that doesn't mean it won't suffice as entertaining.

edit: I do like the "sunday comics" color pieces inserted throughout the manga volume. And the anime adaptation character design... yeah, those "moonbat" eyes definitely come from the manga

Last edited by Vexx; 2009-06-17 at 18:08.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 19:53   Link #22
Falkor

got my copy too, just a few days ago.

it was quite a interesting 4-koma to read, really enjoyed it so far. My favorite character is without doubts the black [hair] girl; absent-minded one is second.

the show looks actually nice in the trailer, despite the bootleg quality of the video. (oh the colorful jackets)... but I can't really say much about it at this point.

After reading the manga and getting a fairly good idea of what the personalities are like, I'm very curious to see how the voices are going to be. there's quite an interesting selection of seiyuus, if anything, more or so because of the characters' personalities. hopefully when the official trailer is released, we will get to listen to them.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 10:26   Link #23
Dop
Mmmm....

I spotted the manga was out so picked up a copy.

I quite liked it, and I'll be buying the second volume when Yen Press bring it out.

So I'm definitely going to be watching this.
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-18, 18:28   Link #24
Midonin
Last Engage

One good thing this series is doing before it even hits the airwaves: Promoting American manga sales.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 05:39   Link #25
Cloudy

Who wants to bet that this is the K-on! of the summer season?
Old 2009-06-19, 08:09   Link #26
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy View Post
I'm not going to take that bet per se. However I will say this much. Just as K-ON! was my most anticipated Spring 2009 series, GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class is my most anticipated Summer 2009 series.

Right now K-ON! might just be my favorite series of 2009, but there's still time for it to be surpassed by other 2009 series. With GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class as a strong candidate. Assuming it's as good as the first volume of the manga.
Old 2009-06-19, 11:17   Link #27
Falkor

Quote:
don't really think so...

I get a more subdued and Slice-of-Life feel from the manga, plus the settings in an art school school just scream Hidamari and Sketchbook, but maybe with some more emphasis on comedy. I might be wrong in any case without any previews.

The one show I see more likely to be similar (though not exactly as popular) to K-on! is Kanamemo, which is going to air also in this summer. Coincidentally, the three of them are published on the same magazine.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-19, 11:21   Link #28
Midonin
Last Engage

Neither of the two Manga Time Kirara series in the lineup are being done by KyoAni, which means people won't be analyzing every frame for...something. And perhaps, things are better for that.
Old 2009-06-19, 11:43   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Nah.... I might be willing to call it the "Sketchbook ~Full Colors~" of the summer. This isn't really about a group of people coming together as a team. Its an art class with quirky, odd people seeking their muses.

I don't think its going to convey the restful feelings Sketchbook did though (ala ARIA homages) -- GA is going to be a bit more punchy ala Lucky*Star (but without the commercialization that plagued L*S).

Kanamemo looks like it might have more of the "moe moments" that K-on! had.
Old 2009-06-20, 01:08   Link #30
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkor View Post
I get a more subdued and Slice-of-Life feel from the manga, plus the settings in an art school school just scream Hidamari and Sketchbook, but maybe with some more emphasis on comedy. I might be wrong in any case without any previews.

Truth be told part of the reason I got interested in GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class was because I enjoyed Sketchbook. I ended up trying out Sketch Book because I enjoyed Sunshine Sketch.

Sure all three series have their differences, but in some ways that's part of the appeal for me. To see a different take on things. I mean sure Yuno provides her own brand of enjoyment, but let's what Aso Natsumi can provide us with. And soon I'll be seeing the magic of Oomichi Miyabi.

On a side note, I'm actually doing yet another re-watch of Sunshine Sketch. Sure, I have series I'm still in the middle of re-watching, but I just feel like experiencing once more what is perhaps one of my favorite series ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Kanamemo looks like it might have more of the "moe moments" that K-on! had.
It remains to be seen, but I have a definite interest in that series. Although compared to the other mentioned series, I'm not as familiar with it.
Old 2009-06-22, 23:11   Link #31
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm going to be very curious to see how they adapt this to an anime series... creating some illusion of continuity from these 4-koma is going to take some serious duct tape.
Old 2009-06-23, 06:17   Link #32
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
I'm going to be very curious to see how they adapt this to an anime series... creating some illusion of continuity from these 4-koma is going to take some serious duct tape.
It's hard to say. For all we know, they could ultimately decide that continuity is not that important for the series and make it episodic. Heck, in the case of some show the most major sign of continuity you might get is along the lines of "Oh, by the way it's now Summer".
Old 2009-06-23, 08:50   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That isn't what I meant by continuity. 4-koma strips take about 15 seconds to execute -- are they going to make an episode up of a string of 15 second gags or are they going to rewrite the material so it creates the illusion of a continuous happenings in the day.
Lucky*Star (another 4-koma) did a mix... some gags were just gags - setup/takedown. Another pieces were massaged so it appeared to be a 5 or 10 minute seamless sequence.

After having read the manga and comparing to Lucky*Star, I'd say GA is going to be a lot more challenging to string together to create a seamless episode. So I'm wondering a bit if they're going to try that at all.
Old 2009-06-23, 08:58   Link #34
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Wow. 3rd series from Kirara Carat that's getting animated. Will make a note to follow up. What I find interesting is that there is already an English translation, but no Chinese version.
Old 2009-06-23, 11:30   Link #35
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
That isn't what I meant by continuity. 4-koma strips take about 15 seconds to execute -- are they going to make an episode up of a string of 15 second gags or are they going to rewrite the material so it creates the illusion of a continuous happenings in the day..
Ah, my mistake then. This is only speculation, but I would not be surprised if they end up trying both strategies. Heck, it would probably be for the best anyway. It's just a matter of deciding on a case by case basis.

I'm sort of hoping we'll see the "Color Rangers" segment in the first episode. As that will provide us with a good test for how they'll handle things. I'm sure if handed right those strips could be merged into at the very least a five minute segment.
Old 2009-06-23, 12:14   Link #36
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Yeah, thinking the same here... "color rangers" would be a good way for the viewer to get an initial handle on the characters...
Old 2009-07-01, 16:01   Link #37
Midonin
Last Engage

The official website has reached its final form, and I like the design scheme they have going for it. Simple, yet full of artsy elements. Though this remains the only show for the upcoming season where I know neither OP nor ED. Hopefully sometime in the next few days, otherwise I shall find out when it airs.
Old 2009-07-02, 14:53   Link #38
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
The official website has reached its final form, and I like the design scheme they have going for it. Simple, yet full of artsy elements. Though this remains the only show for the upcoming season where I know neither OP nor ED. Hopefully sometime in the next few days, otherwise I shall find out when it airs.
Ah, I like the design of the site. Although I will hope for things like the coming soon sections to not take too long to be activated sooner rather than later. In any case, here's hoping for a worthy adaptation.
Old 2009-07-06, 14:59   Link #39
Midonin
Last Engage

The show's finally aired (still waiting on encodes), but at least I've found out what the OP and ED are.

The OP is "Osaki ni sil vous plait", sung by the GA girls, which is probably the main five.
The ED is "Coloring palettes", and today's was the Tomokane version. This suggests, of course, that everyone has a version and it'll change on a weekly basis.

Last edited by Midonin; 2009-07-07 at 20:11. Reason: Correcting my French
Old 2009-07-06, 15:51   Link #40
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Ah~ The manga-ka is Yggdra Union's...

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
manga time kirara, seinen, slice of life