AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

View Poll Results: Maria-sama ga Miteru 4th - Episode 5 Rating
Perfect 10 8 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 31.25%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 21.88%
7 out of 10 : Good 6 18.75%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-02, 00:30   Link #21
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Mmm pretty good episode, though there were times that I felt a bit bored. I think it would've been better without the guys in the amusement part >.>
Old 2009-02-02, 01:55   Link #22
4Tran

I thought that this was another excellent episode with great characterization. What really amuses me is that, in a different show, Suguru's character type would have been the archetypical male lead.

The closest thing I have to a complaint about this episode is that the Pizza Hut stuff is more distracting than it is amusing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droplet View Post
A satisfying watch. Yumi looked much cuter than usual with her hair style in this episode. Suguru kind of bothered me in the way he was giving hints to Yumi. Seems to me that he likes Yumi more than he lets off.
Well, Suguru outright said that he liked Yumi, so I don't know if it's any more inimate than that. It makes a lot of sense seeing how she's close to the same people he's close to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Mmm pretty good episode, though there were times that I felt a bit bored. I think it would've been better without the guys in the amusement part >.>
I can't agree with that - they're what made the episode complete.
Old 2009-02-02, 04:44   Link #23
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'm not bothered by the Pizza Hut stuff since it's fairly incidental. The minute it starts interfering with the plot is when I'll start getting annoyed.

This season has been almost wall-to-wall awesome. The only thing that's preventing me from proclaiming this as the best Marimite season yet (other than the fact that it's still ongoing) is that the art and animation haven't been as good as previous seasons. It's amazing how much we learn about so many characters in an episode like this, which only has an indirect influence on the plot.

The interesting thing about Sachiko, and her, well, reaction to big crowds and busy places, was that it was she who suggested that she and Yumi go the amusement park. You could almost see it as a sacrifice in a way, she wanted to be with Yumi and she wanted Yumi to enjoy herself, so she suggested something which she wouldn't necessarily enjoy (although that's not quite right, since I think for a while she was enjoying herself, but the crowds and situation just became a bit overbearing for her). It says a lot, it certainly suggests that Yumi's happiness is more important to her than her own comfort (then again, she did suggest that she was hoping she'd grown out of these sorts of episodes), which is something I'm sure Sachiko had thought in the past, but this gesture shows how serious she is and what extent she's willing to go to to see that Yumi is happy. We know how strong Sachiko and Yumi's bond is, but for Sachiko to go to this extent surprised me.

The conversation between Yumi and Kashiwagi was the other really interesting and meaningful scene. They explored an idea that we've seen in romance anime before, but they were so succinct and conclusive with how they answered it. Kashiwagi is a bit ambiguous (in a number of ways), so I don't think Sachiko's analogy about how she has as much reason to be jealous of Yuuki as Yumi does of Kashiwagi is completely correct, but it makes a good point and puts an apt mark on the message that (I think) they were trying to make in the latter part of this episode, that all these relationships are equal but different.

Yumi's hairstyle = death by moe!

Edit: The storytelling in this show is sublime at times. I really wasn't sure what was going on with Kashiwagi in beginning and middle parts of this episode, but the way they slowly revealed that was really well done.
Old 2009-02-02, 09:01   Link #24
Rukaister
Deshou?

Send a message via Yahoo to Rukaister
Decent, maybe a good episode. Agree with Yumi being cuter with that hair. Somehow i got a little disappointed last week about no TsukatoxShouko in episode 4, but well.. a full episode of the chinensis family's date isn't bad at all.

Also, it's not fair sometimes when comparing to the novels because (of course) not all scene could be animated in the anime.. but really..

Sorry, no spoilers are allowed here, not even inside spoiler tags. - 4Tran

Last edited by 4Tran; 2009-02-02 at 09:42. Reason: Removed spoiler.
Old 2009-02-02, 09:50   Link #25
SidVicious
Anime addict

Looks like Madarame , i mean, Suguru, cares a lot for Yumi too.
Old 2009-02-02, 10:08   Link #26
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
I highly enjoyed this episode for 2 specific reasons.

To me this episode was really about reaffirming how close Yumi and Sachiko are. To see Sachiko so happy just to be spending time with Yumi alone is a real treat. We all know that Sachiko is kind of weak which was a key part of the episode, but for her to not want to be driven and wanted to take the subway with Yumi shows how her personality because of Yumi has changed quite a bit. Seeing both of them smiling and laughing and play word games gave us a chance to reaffirm how close they really are. Since i think a bit of that has been lost within all the other events taking place. I thought it was very cute how Sachiko held Yumi's hand while she was sleeping in the car and also just little affections they showed towards one another. Sachiko's habit of fixing Yumi's collar no matter what she is wearing. Its become a running a theme with them. I can see how the line is a little think in the Yuri department with how they are portrayed but its absolutely lovely watching them interact. Especially when Sachiko gets snarky like when she saw Kashiwagi and Yuki were at the amusement park as well.

The second being Yumi and Kashiwagi's conversation about Sachiko and Sachiko later once again reaffirming how important Yumi is to her. Im glad they touched on Kashiwagi stance about Sachiko and his marriage, him stating that he didn't want to marry Sachiko but it was not because he didnt like her (They didnt touch on the other reason Kashiwagi doesnt want to marry Sachiko which is a spoiler so i wont mention it here). Also, we can see just immature Yumi still is with her question about whose #1 and Kashiwagi skillfully and accurately painted her a picture of how there are different types of like. Yumi finally understood when he asked "who do you like more your mother, your father? Yuki?" I feel Yumi learned a valuable lesson in this episode about Sachiko, herself and about Jealousy. Even with her not feeling well Sachiko was able to calm Yumi's mind by being attentive, showing affection and just being herself. I did get a laugh at all of Yumi famous faces during the episode including the "i hate you" line she dropped on Kashiwagi while he was teasing her.

Maria-Sama continues to be one if not my favorite anime this season the character interactions are just done so well its hard not to get drawn into their world.

10/10
Old 2009-02-02, 10:42   Link #27
Shigan
Forever a Journey

Wow, Pizza Hut is really rubbing it in arent they? xD I have a feeling of that the cast will have gained a pound or two by the end of this season if this keeps up.

It could be just me, but I have a feeling of that we've moved along quite a few books since the last seasons and the OAVs. I feel a bit like there are things, and context, I should know here but don't. For once, when did Yumi start being so aversive towards Suguru?- she was jealous, granted, but I remember her to have been at least courteous to him before. That random "I dislike/hate you" line felt a bit strange to me tbh.

So there is another reason for Suguru not wanting to marry Sachiko?

Else, a very good episode. As someone previously said, Yumi should wear her hair down more often. I just kinda noticed that she's really quite pretty xD.
Old 2009-02-02, 10:53   Link #28
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
So there is another reason for Suguru not wanting to marry Sachiko?

Yes there is but i wont post it in here if you really want to know i will PM you. Just let me know.
Old 2009-02-02, 13:32   Link #29
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
I actually prefer Yumi in twintail mode. It just adds that 'in-character' note, lol.
Funny seeing how usually twintails don't do it for me..
Old 2009-02-02, 15:35   Link #30
Fuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
..that all these relationships are equal but different.
I think you hit the nail on the head. If not, you are definitely are onto something. This episode may seems like a filler on the surface at first, but I'm beginning to think, it's important for what is to come in the future as hinted by:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Spoiler for Minor spoiler on future episodes:
(^I'm quite excited to see what this is about).

I'm beginning to appreciate this episode more and more with careful inspection and discussion. The dessert which Sachiko's mother prepared, Mille-feuille, is probably an analogy of the relationship for everyone in MariMite. Mille-feuille is a desert that has layers and layers of pastry. Due to that reason, as Sachiko's mother explained, it means "a thousand leaves". Mille-feuille can also have different ingredients in between the pastries such as cream, fruits, or jam (Maple Palour!).

Anyway, the point behind this subtle analogy is that it's not about what one particular ingredient makes a great dessert. Each layer of pastry and each different ingredient, with the help of each other, is what makes a great dessert. Another example would be how Yumi (let's say the cream of Mille-feuille) was jealous of Kashiwagi (fruit* <-wasn't intentional ) for knowing Sachiko (pastry) more than her and how she felt useless compared to him; cooking term would be "overpowering". But the truth is, Sachiko (pastry) needs Yumi (cream) and Kashiwagi (fruit) as equally. (At least for the incident at the park, anyway. Because as we all saw in episode 5, Yumi and Sachiko's bond is just pure gold).

I hope my comparison of characters to a desert wasn't too confusing. But I feel the mention of Mille-feuille was important.

Last edited by Fuze; 2009-02-02 at 21:14. Reason: Dessert was missing an "s" XD
Old 2009-02-03, 19:19   Link #31
Sousa

This episode really shows how Suguru cares about Sachiko, makes me like him a bit more. Though I never really fond of him, I know he's an important person in Sachiko's life.
I like how Sachiko/Yumi/Saguru interact here, and we get to know how Saguru thinks and his opinion about Yumi and Sachiko.
Well, I'm a bit dissapointed from the lack of Shimako, Noriko, Yoshino and Rei. Last episode preview made me expect them (Yoshino and Rei) to show up in this ep.
Old 2009-02-03, 21:40   Link #32
speck123

Good episode overall.

The Pizza Hut thing wasn't too bad for me. At least they didn't make the cast do some sort of cheezy commercial from within the show.

The conversation between Suguru and Yumi gave me a (slightly) more positive impression of him. I didn't hate him before, but I did see him as a pest. Now, at least he's a helpful pest.
Old 2009-02-03, 22:36   Link #33
4Tran

I'm afraid that while the information about Suguru may be fairly common knowledge, it's actually spoiler territory for the anime. As such, I moved all the posts discussing that to the Maria-sama - Spoilers & Speculation thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigan View Post
It could be just me, but I have a feeling of that we've moved along quite a few books since the last seasons and the OAVs. I feel a bit like there are things, and context, I should know here but don't. For once, when did Yumi start being so aversive towards Suguru?- she was jealous, granted, but I remember her to have been at least courteous to him before. That random "I dislike/hate you" line felt a bit strange to me tbh.
It's a matter of context. Yumi is a lot more worried about Suguru now than usual, and Suguru is deliberately doing his part to rile her up as well. Just like we don't always treat the people we know the same all the time, the characters in Marimite seem to do the same.
Old 2009-02-03, 23:06   Link #34
Oxtail

First time I've ever seen anime characters buying churros!!!!

And it really felt like the implied yuri was pretty thick this episode. Yeah, yeah, I know it's supposed to be just sisterly love. The swaying on a crowded train image is super cute.

Ever since his first appearance left that awful impression, it feels like the author is actively trying to give us the Suguru who's always there to do the right thing. He's kinda like the rogue who makes the slightly inappropriate jokes, but always has the best interests of everyone at heart. I'm not sure he really needs to show up everywhere, but he does seem to help move the plot along.
Old 2009-02-04, 03:29   Link #35
dream-seeker
soar high

Send a message via Yahoo to dream-seeker
Sachiko's humor during their lunch was funny. Did she purposely just teased Kashiwagi being scared of the jet coaster ride? Was that supposed to be another hint? I didn't know those two had good relationship now.
Old 2009-02-04, 13:10   Link #36
Neku
yare yare..

I find this a good and refreshing episode (they turned off the uniforms!) but still somewhat lacking. The Pizza Hut thingy were okay, though I find one of them a little too big.

Overall, it's a nice episode - we get to -kinda- know the reason behind Suguru's feelings and attitude towards Sachiko, Yumi has a new look, and welp, it feels like yuri this episode; with Yumi being jealous and all.

Perhaps the lacking thing is Touko =/
Oh well, it's her next~
Old 2009-02-05, 04:36   Link #37
inisipis

Aside the somewhat inconsistent animation quality at the first half, it's a very good episode all together.

But, LoL, Pizza Hut! Though i commend the Pizza company their choice for sponsoring a very excellent show, but if their product-placement thingy gets in the way of the plot, I'll definitely bake deep-dish their arses.
Well Yoshino and Rei had their midnight snack and Yumi and Sachiko lunched with it already, i guess it won't be long for Shimako and Noriko to be eating it at the temple. My theory is that after having been to Italy they probably started a craving for it

I find the episode very touching and tender for a very different reason. It seems to me that Sachiko it beginning to say goodbye to yumi. Like a mother who's dying of cancer, she's trying her best to give very happy memories to her child before she goes. I think Sachiko understands this will be their last year as sisters at Lillian high and seems to be giving her all to be the best she can be, to Yumi. The bedroom room scene even reminds of Sachiko's grandma dead-bed scene. I guess this is also a set-up from a Sachiko/Yumi relationship to a Yumi/Touko relationship, as seen in the preview. Who is ,all indication, poised to be Yumi's Soeur. For that thought my heart i slowly breaking.

BTW, didn't Suguru seems to have slapped Yumi's butt.
Old 2009-02-05, 08:12   Link #38
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail View Post

Ever since his first appearance left that awful impression, it feels like the author is actively trying to give us the Suguru who's always there to do the right thing. He's kinda like the rogue who makes the slightly inappropriate jokes, but always has the best interests of everyone at heart. I'm not sure he really needs to show up everywhere, but he does seem to help move the plot along.
Actually its simplier than what most people make it out to be. Kashiwagi does like Sachiko if he did not he wouldn't worry about her, also they have known each other their entire lives.. The reason for him showing up and Yumi jealously was to show us comparison in how Yumi deals with Sachiko and how Kashiwagi does. The result was Yumi being jealous that Kashiwagi knows more about Sachiko than she does. This was the set up for the bedroom scene as Sachiko made it very simple. "of course he knows more about me because hes known me longer, if thats the case i should be jealous of Yuuki" If you go back and re watch the episode you can see how the writing is leading us to two pivetal scenes in the episode. Kashiwagi's talk with Yumi and Sachiko' talk with Yumi both of which produced lots of emotion.

The set up was down quite well it all moved into a direction where we could see Yumi and Sachiko reaffirm how close they are and how much Sachiko truly does care for Yumi it was a private moment that they rarely get because of school and their Yumyurikai activities.
Old 2009-02-05, 23:13   Link #39
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuze View Post
I'm beginning to appreciate this episode more and more with careful inspection and discussion. The dessert which Sachiko's mother prepared, Mille-feuille, is probably an analogy of the relationship for everyone in MariMite. Mille-feuille is a desert that has layers and layers of pastry. Due to that reason, as Sachiko's mother explained, it means "a thousand leaves". Mille-feuille can also have different ingredients in between the pastries such as cream, fruits, or jam (Maple Palour!).
Like that dessert, this episode left several kinds of impressions on many viewers: some felt it's like a filler (more like Pizza Hut-loaded filler -- some of the guys posting at Sankaku "Enquirer" think it's a big deal) episode; but others consider it a revelation of many treasures and deeper meanings after digging down into the heart of the matter.
Old 2009-02-07, 01:09   Link #40
textgirl

well all i know is my fat ass ordered pizza hut when i saw the epioside man i was so hungry but i liked it and it made me feel better to know that suguru didnt want to get married i think that he wants sachiko to step it up a notch and call it off thats wat i think about it but wat shocked me this season is that sachiko is so clam shes more at peace god i love her i mean i like yumi to but i love sa-chan but i liked it b/c i found out suguru's true path even though he made a bad first impression i knew he was good from the time of season two and i loved the monent with yumi and sa-chan im happy to know that thier relationship is still on
Closed Thread