AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2010-09-11, 21:37   Link #21
james0246

^The film lacks any real meaning because most of the back story was dropped in favor of covering all the fights. In reality, the books are about developing self-worth and learning how to grow-up (which, for a generation that has developed the concept of a "failure to launch", such a story can be quite meaningful), and they show this by focusing on meaningful flashbacks that greatly expand on the character of Scott Pilgrim. The films, though, in their pursuit of the action-comedy crowd, completely excise this history, turning a story that is really just about Scott growing up into a story about a flaky girl and a boy besotted with her beauty (or her non-Candaian-ness ).

While I lowered by initial grade greatly upon my second viewing (dropped down to a 70 from a 78 (or something like that)), I still think the film is very well done technically, and the band performances were top notch, with some great special effects (and I did like the references since they seemed cliché and consequently like what a real geek would say (for instance, I once tried to play a Final Fantasy OP on my guitar )).

Last edited by james0246; 2011-08-25 at 08:57.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-11, 23:00   Link #22
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Sorry james I thought it was great (The meaning)...And I actually watched it in a FULL theater (Pretty good for a movie that bombed so hard) and people were cheering all movie...I was a little impartial to Knives though since I have a "suuuuweet" asian chick that kinda favors her...I think the meaning was there and the meaning was "Don't look for meaning" (Just open a floating sky door because, well just because^^)...It's basically the moto of the slacker nation inwhich Scott is it's mascot...Just go with the flow and videogame kick some a$$ for a girl that gives you that warm feeling inside...Aside from that it's just a simple splattering of basically learning about yourself as Scott realized some of his blahzay nature hurt some girls he cared about in the past...

I gave the movie a strong 9...It'll be a cult classic for sure, my only complaint was that it felt a bit too long, especially the double-ending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki
I just don't get this movie. I don't get the appeal. Can anyone explain this thing to me?
Alright, this is one of the reasons the movie BOMBED...It's marketed to a late teens-early 20's crowd yet many of the themes in the movie are more associated to the 25-35+ crowd that grew up on all the video game references and hippie slacker sensibilities...It's also a musical with no singing, and an action flick that's promoted as a weird love story (Truth be told the studio should have lied more in it's promotion and showed all the action)...But basically it's a mishmash of the "nothing" that surrounds the hipster culture because people not in the culture find our "nothing" as "nothing" when to us it's always been "something"...To see a movie really cater to this niche and not just peruse around it to draw in the fringe was really unexpected to me (Especially since I never read the comic)...

I think you may have realized your not as much of a hipster-slacker as you may think and that's fine because many people think they are when they aren't...Hell who would really wanna be a hipster in the truest sense (That can resonate with every element this movie tries to project) but this movie caters to us unlike anything I've seen in a long while...I mean the whole "Play a videogame level to win a cute girl" is sorta the basis of this fantasy you actually spent time trying to dissect the logic of...

Last edited by wingdarkness; 2010-09-12 at 01:08.
wingdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-12, 00:23   Link #23
Animexcel

I think your right, wingdarkness. Being 29, I loved the movie and I got the videogame and anime styled fight references. The humor was good as well; people in the theater were cheering too. I think teens would rather watch something stupid like Vampires Suck. It's a real shame.
Animexcel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-27, 03:27   Link #24
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Despite the hype and promotion this movie doesn't deliver . I was expecting a lot from this movie but was somewhat disappointed . If though I had watched it on DVD I would say enjoyable . This was one of the movies I was looking forward to this summer =/
Old 2010-09-27, 06:51   Link #25
bloppyblue
SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK!!!

I had been a Scott Pilgrim fan for a while (from the comics) and I thought the movie wasn't that bad. Sure, the character development was practically non-existent, and their relationship seemed to have lasted for a few weeks when it was supposed to span a little over a year. The characters' personalities seemed to have been unintentionally altered as well.

I'm still getting 20 copies when the DVD comes out xD
bloppyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 12:16   Link #26
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Finally watched this movie....and i have to say i love it! Everything.

It felt nostalgic remembering all of those video game references. It had great music that i enjoyed listening. I like most of the characters who very unique and funny in their own way.

My verdict, it's a very good movie.
Old 2011-08-24, 12:19   Link #27
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

I didn't know this thread existed. I absolutely love this movie.

"Bread makes you fat?!"
Old 2011-08-24, 12:28   Link #28
Tetra Vaal
Banned

One of the worst movies of last year. Nothing but a bunch of hipster trash for wannabe retro kids who have never even lived retro. Not to mention, Michael Cera once again delivers a one-note performance where you can't differentiate between all the characters he's played before this. If there's one saving grace this film had it was Ellen Wong, who showcased that she can elevate beyond the simplistic material she was given. But other than that, this movie licks the taint. Just horrible.
Tetra Vaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-24, 12:30   Link #29
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post

I just don't get this movie. I don't get the appeal. Can anyone explain this thing to me?
Two words: Popcorn Movie

A generally lighthearted fun action flick that's a decent time waster, and a good movie to chill out to while eating popcorn. However, greatness does not come from a popcorn movie.

As a popcorn movie, Scott Pilgram vs. The World (2010) is genuinely a cut above, because it does have a little bit of practical philosophy in it, and it has pop culture references from a wider variety of sources than most movies of this type.

However, if you were expecting it to be a really deep, intelligent, cultural tour de force then that's more than what can be reasonably expected of it, imo (here I can see where the hype might have heightened your expectations too much).

Also keep in mind that the history of Hollywood-adapted video games is pretty abysmal, so for gamers in particular, this was a huge treat as it showcased much of what they like about video games in a way that so precious few movies do.
Old 2011-08-24, 12:45   Link #30
Tetra Vaal
Banned

That "popcorn movie" excuse is really beginning to wear itself then. Hell, it's been wearing itself thin for the last couple of years, now it's just treading tires. I always laugh at people who need to use some "Oh, if you were expecting 'The Godfather' then you had too high of expectations." When will you people stop coming up with lame excuses to justify a shitty movie? I'm not going to shut my brain off or make up a "popcorn movie" subgenre purely for the sake of judging a film within a specific context-- a ridiculous context, if anything. The bottom line is, 'Scott Pilgrim VS. The World' lacks any heart or creative ingenuity. It's just another brainless drivel-laced flick to throw at hipster wannabes with a very low IQ.
Old 2011-08-24, 13:04   Link #31
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Look, if you don't like the movie then that's fine, it's your opinion. Just don't go insulting people who do like the movie like they don't know the difference between butter and margarine.
Old 2011-08-24, 13:17   Link #32
NoLongerSane

I remember this film. I saw it on HBO at a hotel I was staying at during my vacation. I enjoyed the film alot. As it has been stated before, I like the pop culture references and enjoyed the humor.
Old 2011-08-25, 05:19   Link #33
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
That "popcorn movie" excuse is really beginning to wear itself then. Hell, it's been wearing itself thin for the last couple of years, now it's just treading tires. I always laugh at people who need to use some "Oh, if you were expecting 'The Godfather' then you had too high of expectations." When will you people stop coming up with lame excuses to justify a shitty movie? I'm not going to shut my brain off or make up a "popcorn movie" subgenre purely for the sake of judging a film within a specific context-- a ridiculous context, if anything. The bottom line is, 'Scott Pilgrim VS. The World' lacks any heart or creative ingenuity. It's just another brainless drivel-laced flick to throw at hipster wannabes with a very low IQ.
You aren't very good at making a point without losing it, eh?

Anyway, no I didn't like this movie, though I guess it might be because I read the books first.
Old 2011-08-25, 11:05   Link #34
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
I gave the movie a strong 9...It'll be a cult classic for sure, my only complaint was that it felt a bit too long, especially the double-ending...
It certainly is too long, lol. I was very entertained at the beginning, but the movie tired me out by the 3rd ex fight. In the end, whatever reference they had became too gimmicky.

Good thing they didn't spend as much time on the later exes.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-25, 13:36   Link #35
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I have missed most of the marketing campain so I did not know what I am supposed to expect. But when I have seen it, I have seen the same trademark I could feel while watching Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.

It's a movie by a geek for the old geeks, the overgrown teenagers like me, those who grew up with olde video games and oldes action flicks, and when Asian culture have stopped to be an object of mockery and have just become "in". Just like how Shaun of the Dead is a love letter to the zombie genre and its fans, and Hot Fuzz is a love letter to buddy cop movies and its fans.

Bottomline, I have loved it for that.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 05:15   Link #36
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

I love how people go into movies expecting them to be masterpieces of the 21st Century. Some movies are just made to generate a fun atmosphere and allow for people to enjoy themselves. Not every movie is Citizen Kane or Inception- Scott Pilgrim was a somewhat shallow movie overall, but it was flashy, fun and it knew who it was targeting. The beginning parts were slow, but once it picked up the jokes were corny but funny, and the fights were creative. The tip of the iceberg is that it makes a ton of solid references, but not for that sheer fact alone.

In the end, it was fun. People need to watch movies with a more "open mind" attitude. We don't all need to be Roger Ebert.
Old 2011-08-26, 06:29   Link #37
YuriEcchiGirl

After reading & being a huge fan of the original graphic novel series that the movie is based on, I decided to give the movie a go & am very pleased to say that I really enjoyed every minute of it from start to finish, such entertaining fun & the characters are all played & portrayed so well...A definate 9/10 rating form me
Old 2011-08-26, 10:39   Link #38
Tetra Vaal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Not every movie is Citizen Kane or Inception
Well, seeing as how 'Inception' pretty much sucked... yeah.

Anyway, I've already covered the basis of the rest of your argument. You just made the simpleminded claims that I just paraphrased yesterday. Really, get a better excuse already-- this whole "it's supposed to be fun and brainless" crap is becoming more supererogatory than calling someone a troll or telling someone who claims they don't care about your post that they care enough to respond. It's putrid-- outdated, and just borderline asinine. This movie sucked... and it didn't suck because I didn't go into seeing it without an open mind or attempting to have fun, it sucked because it's trendy hipster garbage with boring performances, mundane 8-bit visuals, and a horrendously awful soundtrack (fucking indie rock is the worst excuse for a music genre, ever). Not to mention the poor cinematography and its inability to capture the real beauty of Toronto, but instead limiting itself to the most mundane shots which serve as a poor contrast to the otherwise bright visuals the film provides. The acting licks the taint-- specifically Cera and the dude who plays his gay friend. Pretty much everyone sucks in this movie aside from Ellen Wong, who will hopefully get a better offering roles in the coming future. Can't really blame her for taking a role in this movie if it at least helps elevate her future towards better flicks.
Old 2011-08-26, 11:19   Link #39
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:

trendy hipster garbage
That's pretty much one of the poorest accusation thrown against Edgar Wright. If you have watched his works, namely Shaun of the Dead, and Spaced, you should have spotted that he is a geek who likes to do shout-outs to fellow geeks. He is far from being the poser that you are accusing him to be.

and Jesus, tone down that angry bile that is dripping from your posts.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-26, 12:53   Link #40
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetra Vaal View Post
Well, seeing as how 'Inception' pretty much sucked... yeah.

Anyway, I've already covered the basis of the rest of your argument. You just made the simpleminded claims that I just paraphrased yesterday. Really, get a better excuse already-- this whole "it's supposed to be fun and brainless" crap is becoming more supererogatory than calling someone a troll or telling someone who claims they don't care about your post that they care enough to respond. It's putrid-- outdated, and just borderline asinine. This movie sucked... and it didn't suck because I didn't go into seeing it without an open mind or attempting to have fun, it sucked because it's trendy hipster garbage with boring performances, mundane 8-bit visuals, and a horrendously awful soundtrack (fucking indie rock is the worst excuse for a music genre, ever). Not to mention the poor cinematography and its inability to capture the real beauty of Toronto, but instead limiting itself to the most mundane shots which serve as a poor contrast to the otherwise bright visuals the film provides. The acting licks the taint-- specifically Cera and the dude who plays his gay friend. Pretty much everyone sucks in this movie aside from Ellen Wong, who will hopefully get a better offering roles in the coming future. Can't really blame her for taking a role in this movie if it at least helps elevate her future towards better flicks.
Pray tell, is there anything you respect outside of your own little personal circle? There's this little thing called personality that differs in every single human being- not everyone is going to like whatever you like; I suppose they're all idiots, aren't they? They might see your interests in the same way.

Really, I'd advise chilling out and opening your mind more to the idea that someone just might like that "worst excuse for music" indie-rock, or that for many people this was just good fun at the core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
That's pretty much one of the poorest accusation thrown against Edgar Wright. If you have watched his works, namely Shaun of the Dead, and Spaced, you should have spotted that he is a geek who likes to do shout-outs to fellow geeks. He is far from being the poser that you are accusing him to be.
Just a guess, but I'd say that those films don't really tickle his fancy either. I wasn't a big fan of Shaun of the Dead, but everyone who watched it with us had a good time, and that's what moviegoing's about in the end.