Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-04-08, 01:39   Link #381
MogMoogle1
Idol Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
I feel like it has been forever since the new extra cure thing happened and here is what she looks like.

Spoiler for New cure:
Spoiler for to pic:
Old 2013-04-08, 02:09   Link #382
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichuki View Post
I feel like it has been forever since the new extra cure thing happened and here is what she looks like.

Spoiler for New cure:
Spoiler:
YourIdeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 03:58   Link #383
Gohan78
Awakened One

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
Has there ever been an instance in the series franchise where a Pretty Cure started out good but then gets brainwashed to do evil?
In the 2nd FutariWa movie, Honoka was brainwashed and fought against Nagisa (in one of the most awesome fights in Precure history BTW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MogMoogle1 View Post
I was kind of hoping that Rikka's jealousy would develop through the series and turn her in to a Dark Precure half way through, captures and locks up Mana for herself, then have the rest fight to get Mana back and eventually an episode where they fight to bring Rikka back to the good side with the power of yuri friendship... but I guess that won't ever be happening for this series.
That's what doujinshi/fanfiction are for!
Seriously, Precure is a show for little girls so they will never do something that dark. However the writers know full well that they have a devoted fanbase of adult males, so sometimes they give us some hints of yuri. I am perfectly satisfied with this episode's "You are Mana's loving wife" and "Mana is the mama and MakoPi is the papa".
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Gohan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 11:34   Link #384
4Tran

Episode 10

Rikka focus episode? Rikka focus episode. This episode was pretty ho hum given the subject matter and all the things they could have done with it. Rikka's jealousy could have had some potential, but it was destined to never amount to anything. Why the heck wasn't she the victim of the week? It'd have been a lot more effective than some nobody of the week.

Makoto joining Rikka and Mana's class could have been pretty fun as well, but they decided to go with the stupid shounen light comedy crap instead. I'm not sure why the creators got Cure Diamond use her finisher twice - it's not as if it mattered at all, nor did they really care about the fight either. On a technical note, the art was mostly on model, but it still looked bad - some the Makoto shots looked really ugly. And is it just me, or have the creators stopped pretendin that Joe matters to the plot at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
For those two above mentioned reasons alone PreCure's content, along with other child friendly, magic-girl shows out there, cannot be changed into something that steps outside the boundaries imposed by both its genre and narrative rules.
This is basic in just any kind of both visual, commercial, and literary art all over the world.
If the audience likes all of the content, because it is appealing to them then it sells.
I don't think that's the real reason - Sailor Moon (and Pretty Guardian) didn't have any problems doing that, and it had a Bandai toy line as well. Arguably, that's from a different era, but it's not as if marketing to children has changed all that much in the intervening years. I think that the real reason is that Precure is designed to play safely; with the odd exception like the content in Heartcatch. One prevailing example of this is that you'll rarely see any significant prolonged conflict between the characters on the good guy team.

Quote:
However, if you want a magical-girl show which content explores and deals with tropes full of dark themes, then simply find shows that are aimed or targeted to a mature demographic audience.
The seinen genre is for an audience made up of young, adult men.
One example of a magical-girl anime that I know has a grown-up content and themes is Magical Puella Madoka.
Lots of magical girl shows for girls have darker themes. Most seinen (?) magical girl shows don't offer anything too unique unless you count material like Vampire Princess Miyu or Devilman Lady.
Old 2013-04-08, 14:26   Link #385
elior

from this picture of the new cure i think it Marmo the women villain. Marmo can be another villain that becomes a precure. And this Cure looks like Marmo
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 15:08   Link #386
Hiroshi Amearai
Nuclear Fusion

There's no comfirmation on that picture. There's a high chance that it could be fake.
Old 2013-04-08, 16:07   Link #387
YourIdeas

Quote:
Originally Posted by elior View Post
from this picture of the new cure i think it Marmo the women villain. Marmo can be another villain that becomes a precure. And this Cure looks like Marmo
An adult precure with big boobs? I'm okay with this.
Old 2013-04-08, 19:09   Link #388
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Rikka focus episode? Rikka focus episode. This episode was pretty ho hum given the subject matter and all the things they could have done with it. Rikka's jealousy could have had some potential, but it was destined to never amount to anything. Why the heck wasn't she the victim of the week? It'd have been a lot more effective than some nobody of the week.

Makoto joining Rikka and Mana's class could have been pretty fun as well, but they decided to go with the stupid shounen light comedy crap instead. I'm not sure why the creators got Cure Diamond use her finisher twice - it's not as if it mattered at all, nor did they really care about the fight either. On a technical note, the art was mostly on model, but it still looked bad - some the Makoto shots looked really ugly. And is it just me, or have the creators stopped pretendin that Joe matters to the plot at all?

I don't think that's the real reason - Sailor Moon (and Pretty Guardian) didn't have any problems doing that, and it had a Bandai toy line as well. Arguably, that's from a different era, but it's not as if marketing to children has changed all that much in the intervening years. I think that the real reason is that Precure is designed to play safely; with the odd exception like the content in Heartcatch. One prevailing example of this is that you'll rarely see any significant prolonged conflict between the characters on the good guy team.

Lots of magical girl shows for girls have darker themes. Most seinen (?) magical girl shows don't offer anything too unique unless you count material like Vampire Princess Miyu or Devilman Lady.
I'm only human and can only comment upon what I perceive, interpret, and whatever experience I live to for myself. Of course, I'm not complaining at all with your response. In fact, it's pretty much helpful for me to take as feedback so I can make bigger and wider my scope of knowledge.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 20:11   Link #389
sirtao

Quote:
but it's not as if marketing to children has changed all that much in the intervening years.
actually, it has.
Now mothers watch TV with their children.

Also, Pretty Cure and Sailor Moon had different time-slots and targets, Sailor Moon being aimed towards late primary\junior high schoolgirls and Pretty Cure being aimed to early primary school girls

Also, there is the "little" problem pervading the whole industry of nobody wanting to risk anything new. Something as breakthrough as the original Pretty Cure pitch("Girls want fight, too!") would be rejected nowadays as "too risky". Lack of innovation is killing the industry.
sirtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 21:26   Link #390
4Tran

Quote:
I'm only human and can only comment upon what I perceive, interpret, and whatever experience I live to for myself. Of course, I'm not complaining at all with your response. In fact, it's pretty much helpful for me to take as feedback so I can make bigger and wider my scope of knowledge.
Of course. And I count on you to fill me in on all the Precure shows I haven't watched as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtao View Post
actually, it has.
Now mothers watch TV with their children.

Also, Pretty Cure and Sailor Moon had different time-slots and targets, Sailor Moon being aimed towards late primary\junior high schoolgirls and Pretty Cure being aimed to early primary school girls
While Sailor Moon does skew about 2-4 years older, the actual toys are pretty much identical to the Precure toys. Also if you look at the commercials, there's a lot of stuff marketed to little kids.

Sailor Moon:

Suite Precure:

I'm really not seeing all that many differences. And if you include Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, even the time slot differences go away (Saturday 7AM vs. Sunday 8:30 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtao View Post
Also, there is the "little" problem pervading the whole industry of nobody wanting to risk anything new. Something as breakthrough as the original Pretty Cure pitch("Girls want fight, too!") would be rejected nowadays as "too risky". Lack of innovation is killing the industry.
Other than the willingness to take risks, I think that the bigger difference is that Sailor Moon was made by crazy people. And that the only Heartcatch (and I hear Fresh) had as much crazy.

Besides, I don't think that large amounts of innovation are all that important to magical girl shows aimed at little kids. Sure, having crazy plots and heavy drama would be fun, but I'd settle for fun shows that have solid storytelling. Then again, that might be why I'm having a difficult time understanding the criticisms of Smile.
Old 2013-04-09, 00:26   Link #391
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I believe I read a time ago from a source, which name I forgot completely, that the less innovative magical-girl shows are like PreCure, for example, the more safe are for selling and merchandising.

What I address with innovative I mean in the context of being a breakthrough.

The first Pretty Cure was a breakthrough at its time when it appeared for the first time in TV, or so I believe.
The subsequent seasons, however, did not have anything breakthrough. Instead, relied on the classical formulas and tropes. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean that all of them felt clichéd or flops to me.

Splash*Star and HeartCatch were very good from my POV.

Fresh started good, turned so-so in the middle, and towards the end it recovered from my POV.

Max Heart felt clichéd and repetitive to me to the point of getting bored.

YPC5 and its sequel, GoGo, to me were plaintatively bad.

Cannot comment upon both Suite and Smile, because I have never watched them yet.

As for Doki Doki, right now I feel is doing a decent job holding on its own.
Old 2013-04-09, 01:34   Link #392
elior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Amearai View Post
There's no comfirmation on that picture. There's a high chance that it could be fake.
if this picture is real then i think it marie ange the queen or it ai chan but there is high chance it the queen becousid.
The hairstyle is pretty close, and the color is kinda salmony instead of straight-on orange. Probably will be Muse/Marine/Homura in style, where it splits into two parts.
-Her clothes look very different from everyone else's, so I'd guess she's not a full-on cure.
-The item she's holding is really gaudy. Is it lipstick? A wand? A Magiphone? How does it even work?!
-Checked the skin color. Ai, Ace, and An have progressively darker skin tones
elior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-09, 10:58   Link #393
4Tran

Quote:
What I address with innovative I mean in the context of being a breakthrough.

The first Pretty Cure was a breakthrough at its time when it appeared for the first time in TV, or so I believe.
The subsequent seasons, however, did not have anything breakthrough. Instead, relied on the classical formulas and tropes. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean that all of them felt clichéd or flops to me.
Futari wa Pretty Cure didn't introduce very much to the genre other than adding martial arts action. Heartcatch (and from what I've heard, Fresh) is just about as innovative.

Quote:
I believe I read a time ago from a source, which name I forgot completely, that the less innovative magical-girl shows are like PreCure, for example, the more safe are for selling and merchandising.
I'm not aware of any merchandising sales figures for Precure, but I believe that the Heartcatch and Smile films made the most money. If that's indicative of how good they are at generating income, then it doesn't tell us very much as Heartcatch takes the most risks and Smile takes maybe the least risks. The one thing they have in common is that they're both a lot of fun.

Quote:
Splash*Star and HeartCatch were very good from my POV.

Fresh started good, turned so-so in the middle, and towards the end it recovered from my POV.

Max Heart felt clichéd and repetitive to me to the point of getting bored.

YPC5 and its sequel, GoGo, to me were plaintatively bad.

Cannot comment upon both Suite and Smile, because I have never watched them yet.

As for Doki Doki, right now I feel is doing a decent job holding on its own.
So far, my ranking of the Precure shows is:

-Heartcatch
-Smile
-Futari wa
-Max Heart
-Suite

It's still early for Dokidoki, but I'd place it below Futari wa at this point.
Old 2013-04-12, 01:08   Link #394
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroshi Amearai View Post
That picture is from a toy promo so she isn't fake

Spoiler for toy stuff:
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 01:32   Link #395
U<3Anime
Boo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
In the 2nd FutariWa movie, Honoka was brainwashed and fought against Nagisa (in one of the most awesome fights in Precure history BTW).
Episode 10 could have been the opportunity to recreate some of that magic. Shame that Precure probably won't be to do that anymore.
Old 2013-04-12, 06:11   Link #396
ChibiGoku
FightingMagic Founder

I know this would be more appropriate for the Smile Precure thread, but if this actually that show, then this probably means this show is a fair bet as well:

Quote:
Who says superheroes are for boys only? Not Saban Brands, which will launch the new Gangnam Girls television series and brand later this year. Currently in development, the animated series will center on music and fashion, following five teenage girls chosen as magical superheroes to protect the earth and a fantastical land from classic fairytale villains. "Together, the Gangnam Girls prove that friendship, music, and girl power never go out of style" according to Saban.
Source: Cynopsis Media

I'm really hoping this is a new show all together. Not sure how I feel about this...
ChibiGoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 10:39   Link #397
Midonin
Last Engage

Given Saban Brands' current output, my faith in this is low.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-12, 11:38   Link #398
Ichuki
┌(^o^)┘モリ!┌(^o^)┘モリ!

That new show reminds me of the Smile Cures doing the Gangnam style dance for some odd reason.
Ichuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-13, 14:31   Link #399
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Episode 10. The Transfer Student is a National Super Idol!!

In spite of the past week episode's title, the twist is that the plot actually centered around Rikka feeling jealous and fearful of Mana's growing friendship to Mako. Her reaction was to be expected, since after all both she and Mana have been the best of friends since kindergarden, and in heart felt she was special and needed by Mana.

I give kudos to the writers of this season, because the Jikochuu monsters from what I've been watching actually serve another purpose and not just as both enemies and fodder.
Although this purpose is very restricted, for example, in Rikka's case she could place herself and relate to the Jikochuu's jealousy over wanting to hog for itself.

Rikka learned that is natural to feel that type of jealousy and is healthy to be selfish when your dearest friend opens up to another person. However, what isn't healthy but dangerous is to hold those feelings within and get mired or trapped all the time by them. Because doing so leads to both resentment and obsession which impedes a person to move forward
One must confront reality, and if it's painful one must learn how to properly talk it with his or her friend; it's bitter to hold onto the pain inside and let it grow without doing something about yourself to the matter.
Old 2013-04-13, 22:37   Link #400
YourIdeas

Spoiler for Episode 11:

Tags
action, magical girl