AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-10-02, 00:48   Link #381
D-KLAC
KLAC OF THE ANIME WORLD

after seeing ep.1 well um oh KLAC (bleeping) yes now that is the (bleeping) anime really more bangs for your watching your worths.

cause really this really like another unexpected (bleeping) anime hit to watch.

besides it's bring in a new (bleeping) level so far it's truely of the whole mother (bleeping) anime fall 2010 to watch.
YOU EITHER ANIME NEXUS http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=24159 OR AGAINST THE ANIME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6WFM...eature=related
KLAC OF PERSONALITY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqyG8w0iMPw
D-KLAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 01:13   Link #382
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Oh Gainax, you mother effers.

Now I did NOT expect that AT ALL. From the art style, I thought it was just some cheap flash cartoon to make a few quick bucks. Not even the PV impressed me.
But holy hell, were my expections exceeded.

This show is crude, and it is rude; it's not only raunchy to the extreme, but dirty to the max; not just our heroines, but the villains too.You can't go much further than The Great Mighty Poo, who plans to literally spread his shit to the world.
This tone for me matches perfectly for what this show is putting out; that "Saturday Morning Cartoon" vibe that I haven't felt in ages.

The plot here is pretty much a secondary factor; the collection of Heaven coins is about as deep as an 8-bit NES game. In both cases, this is merely an excuse to fight the baddie of the week; Kinda like the Jackie Chan cartoons with their talismans.
This isn't about story here. This all about entertainment.

Right off the bat, I instantly liked the art direction, but the first few minutes had me questioning the animation; the mouth and body movements were all very blocky, which I realized was like this for all the "downtime segments." Those fears were soon alleviated as the action began to pick up; Gainax proved themselves once again to be top-notch animators, as the action was fluid, stylish, and over-the-top ADD-fueled as always. This is a show all about the animation. Definitely keeping my eye on this.

Oh yeah. I like the onomatopoeia effects as well. Gives more to the illusion of Western Cartoon than Anime....except for that one scene
/hubba hubba
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 01:36   Link #383
Vicious108

Well, that was fucking trippy. And awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Checked the credits and he's not in it. At least not yet. But Shinichiro Miki was the announcer in the second half... ("Is it because that bitchy partner isn't around? What happened to that bitchy partner?!")

And this show is absofuckin'lutely awesome. The ghost destruction had me rolling, both times... This is a keeper and then some...

EDIT: I just realized I need to make that scene where Stocking readies her sword on the hood of the car (especially the part with the hairflip) into an avatar. Amidst all the swearing, and fanservice, and poop, and sex, that was pretty frickin' sweet...and quite possibly the purest PPG homage in the entire episode... ^_^
Yep she was pretty badass there. And then her pulling a Morpheus was icing on the cake.

Anyways, glad to see people excited about the show here. I've already begun to see people in other forums whining that Panty is too slutty and only Stocking is <3. I swear, otakus' obsession with "purity" is beyond ridiculous.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 01:46   Link #384
Nayim

You know, i find out about Panty & Stocking after watch the show:

Spoiler for Panty & Stocking is ?:
Nayim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 02:20   Link #385
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

I was with this show from the start, I'm loving everything about now.

Fucking great time.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 03:35   Link #386
Sciel
Etoilé

That was pretty damn awesome . Thats all i will say

PS : Does anyone love the ED song besides me? It feels like something out of Persona 4's OST (without the engrish!)
Sciel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 03:36   Link #387
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
Does anyone love the ED song besides me? It feels like something out of Persona 4's OST (without the engrish!)
Yeah the ED song is fantastic, though for that matter so is the whole score for the series. Can't wait to hear what else it has in store for us.
Old 2010-10-02, 06:21   Link #388
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
I have an objection to the virgin part.

This thing blew everyone's expectations way off, I can see this doing VERY well in the western market.

Looks like the censors did not like what they were trying to pull for episode three.
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 06:39   Link #389
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Excremental Assault!

wo sister angels coming down to earth, into Daten City, to fight off ghosts and basically any spiritual creature that threatens humanity. One is a blond who likes to have sex with (multiple) men and shirk off her duties. One is a gothic lolita with an addiction to sugar. Their dog is a brainless… thing with a flatulence problem. Their boss is a black priest with an afro. Together they fight of ghosts in the city, to collect Heaven Coins, and earn the approval of heaven itself.

I assure you I could never cook this shit up even on a good day.

First and foremost the creators have already admitted long ago that this is heavily influenced by modern American cartoons,most obviously the Powerpuff Girls. Now you’d likely be wondering what the point is in all of this since Japan already has their own version of PPG. What is this show supposed to be then?

Aside from being an parody and homage at the same time, I have no fucking clue.

Profanity, sex and obscenity everywhere. An obvious parody of the child friendly shows of weekend US cartoons, and even then said shows aren’t as innocent as you may seem to believe. What is most shocking with the entire thing, for the pilot episode so far at least, is that all the obvious content doesn’t come off as trashy or disgusting. By God it actually feels… natural! WTF Gainax? I am shocked beyond belief that despite all the toilet humor and slightly-less-then-graphic sexual situations, my better senses were not even offended. At all. I assume it’s because of the following:

1. The frenetic pace of the series. The series goes like it’s high on Speed. It doesn’t dwell long on any scene, especially the sexual ones, so it doesn’t really even feel like the series is focusing on the sex just to sell. The sex and obscenities actually felt like a natural part of the world and setting.

2. Suspension of disbelief? Normally you’d think that having panties and stockings turn into guns and swords, giant Melena monsters run amok and having the police fire automatic weapons everywhere would stretch your suspension of disbelief beyond the breaking point, but someway and somehow the series manages to make you accept EVERYTHING. Not once did I question the ridiculousness of it all. Why?

3. It’s all super fast and frenetic fun, with foulmouthed fucking on the fringe.

This show spares no moral ground or obscene reference for presenting what it wants to present. From the PPG homage to the ripoff of the Ultraman monster death explosions, it practically lampoons its influences and sources while at the same time creating something completely unexpected and completely unique. As only Gainax can.

Is this a keeper? Damn straight it is!
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 06:46   Link #390
Thoguht

Firstly, YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS! This is what animation is for. Animation is not for trying to recreate live-action. Animation is not for pretending you are using a camera (focus pulls, lens flares and so on). Animation is for giving the imagination free reign, and not tying it down to the constraints of optics in particular and physics in general. Yes of course the human eye is an optical instrument, but the brain is capable of accepting far more than the unaided eye is able to deliver; using animation creatively overcomes this limitation by presenting images that the eye could not otherwise observe. There aren't many people working at the top level of anime who seem to understand this (although that may be more down to the studios' timidity than anything else), Masaaki Yuasa being about the only one who comes to mind immediately.

So, Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. I loved it right from the OP with its inanely repeated words and its quasi-Daft Punk autotuned vocals right through to the ED with its bobbleheaded characters and ravenous vultures. It a was bold, brash, blasphemous, filthy, frenetic, foul-mouthed, and utterly brilliant parody of Western culture, presented in a fittingly Western style. The high spot for me would be the henshin sequence - a complete change of style and character model, as if to reassure us that Gainax know what women really look like whilst giving our brains a short rest from the previous visuals (and maybe waking some other body parts up!)

Finally, a few musings on the interrelatedness of anime and Western animation. The world's various cultures have always been far more interrelated than we might at first think. Europe and Asia have had a thriving international trade market for over 5,000 years, and this market became global in the late 15th Century. With trade, of course, comes cultural exchange too. For example, Japanese ukiyo-e prints (some types of which were known as "manga") inspired the French Impressionists. Impressionism led to a reactionary movement called Expressionism, out of which grew Futurism, one of the obsessions of which was the fusion of machinery and the human body. Futurism spread through Russia, was exhibited widely in Japan, and ultimately became one of the drivers behind Japan's obsession with the humanoid robots that still feature in the pages of its manga today. So, I don't know why it's a problem if something borrows its ideas or style from something else. It's always been happening and it always will.

Last edited by Thoguht; 2010-10-02 at 08:10. Reason: Needs more alliteration
Thoguht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 07:06   Link #391
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Why won't i be surprise if Adult Swim air this show in the future?

PS:Transformation scene was very...... memorable.
Old 2010-10-02, 07:17   Link #392
Hypernova

Location: Virgo Supercluster, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Sol, Earth, Taiwan
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 07:34   Link #393
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Why won't i be surprise if Adult Swim air this show in the future?

PS:Transformation scene was very...... memorable.
I would be very surprised if Adult Swim has the balls to air this one. Because a few people might have problems with the protagonists being angels who are engaging in one of the seven deadly sins each.

Panty has lust.
Stocking has gluttony.

Not to mention any racism issues.
Old 2010-10-02, 07:50   Link #394
Tom Bombadil

Anyone have what they were chanting in the transformation scene in Japanese? Appreciate it.
I've been addicted to it. Panty's Seiyu is amazing, too.
Old 2010-10-02, 08:04   Link #395
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypernova View Post
Incredible. Can't wait to see Panty cosplay.
Old 2010-10-02, 08:07   Link #396
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

How about Panty and Stocking cosplay with..... stripper pole.
(I doubt anyone is going to do that.)

Last edited by MrTerrorist; 2010-10-02 at 08:51.
MrTerrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 08:14   Link #397
karinvampire
Ka Ra Ku Ri

After rewatching it...I'M SOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciel View Post
That was pretty damn awesome . Thats all i will say

PS : Does anyone love the ED song besides me? It feels like something out of Persona 4's OST (without the engrish!)
Yes lol then I found out Lisa(m-flo) sung the same which made it even better.
karinvampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 08:23   Link #398
Suryce

By the way, Stocking's cat doesn't have a name ? (even Panty's magic gun/underwear has one !)
Suryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 08:26   Link #399
KROMEangel
Baby Got Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I would be very surprised if Adult Swim has the balls to air this one. Because a few people might have problems with the protagonists being angels who are engaging in one of the seven deadly sins each.

Panty has lust.
Stocking has gluttony.

*ahem*

Considering Adult Swim's previous programming, I don't think that's a problem.

EDIT: No, not at all
KROMEangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-02, 08:26   Link #400
Decagon
This was meaningless
*Scanlator

This turned out to be a fun little gem. A transformation sequence with stripper poles? So that's what all those other magical girl series censor out of those scenes! Let those twerps whining about the art style suck on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post

Panty has lust.
Stocking has gluttony.

I don't think it'd be any issue. They aired that first take of FMA and Adult Swim had some weird ass non-anime stuff that really fucked with Christianity (some 3d animations), or even Metalocaplyse if you take a general stab at death metal. I do believe the 3d animations were pushed out because of poor ratings and replaced with their new live action garbage though.

The sex and language will probably be the main deterrents.
Decagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gainax, seinen