AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-06-17, 19:22   Link #4001
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

It is very unlikely that the when they cry series will stop. While Ryuukishi himself works in other projects, the other people at 07expansion do not.

So even in the case they abandon the "when they cry" title, there will be another sound novel project, else the 07expansion group will have to shut down.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 19:28   Link #4002
Himeyume
A New Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenyo View Post
And in my opinion, he's shown to be capable of filling the shoes crafted by Higurashi when he started Umineko. I'd say he even made the shoes a size bigger or so at this point in time.. If he can make When They Cry Five NEARLY as good as Umineko, I'd buy it.
I have to agree with you on that one. Though it would be interesting to see if the shoes are too big XD
Old 2010-06-17, 19:34   Link #4003
Lenyo

So, to stop the off topic discussion...

How's the progress on Episode 6 coming? I just replayed Ep5... And can't really wait much longer. XD

Edit: And yes, I'm aware you said you would most likely have it by the week's end... I just wanted to check to see how it was coming along.
Lenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 20:53   Link #4004
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronotrig View Post
Also, I've just finished finals and have my first entirely free week since the EP2 translation. Status on the website is currently accurate, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to finish the rough translation for this upcoming patch by the end of the week.
There you go.

Klashikari said the first patch will be 50% though so you might want to wait.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 21:03   Link #4005
Lenyo

Quote:
Edit: And yes, I'm aware you said you would most likely have it by the week's end... I just wanted to check to see how it was coming along.

I already knew that, I was asking for a more up to date status report.

Eh, I'm too excited. I'll just play it rreeeaaaally slowly.
Old 2010-06-18, 06:40   Link #4006
moichispa
Endless witch

They said that it would be ended for this week I don't think they will give a more detailed report for sure . At this point it is better let then work that asking them to gives reports everyday cause the time they spend doing it will not be spent on umineko
Old 2010-06-18, 08:47   Link #4007
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Bear in mind ep6 is going to take a lot of editing. It's one of the touchiest episodes so far, so just finishing the translation doesn't mean the editing is done. I think last time there was a status report it noted a lot of editing work had been done, but don't jump the gun.

Believe me, you want them to triple-check this one.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 12:36   Link #4008
Laserworm
Maelstorm-Fenrir

Send a message via AIM to Laserworm Send a message via MSN to Laserworm
yeah, just let them work. Ep6 is full of double meanings, tricks, an many other stuff that needs to be carefully checked.

I'm suddenly remembering Ryu07's quote. "Ep5 and beyond shouldn't be regarded as just hints, more like a part of the answer."

But if one line is edited wrong, we might come to a different thought on the matter. Editing is very important.
Laserworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 12:59   Link #4009
Lenyo

Hey, I understand that and all. It's not like I was belittling their work by asking for a status update. >_>

And I still root for you, Witch Hunt! Onwards to glory!
Old 2010-06-18, 13:01   Link #4010
Laserworm
Maelstorm-Fenrir

Quote:
Hey, I understand that and all. It's not like I'm belittling their work by asking for a status update. >_>
We know that. But understand their status updates are a complete shot in the dark. Some parts could take 20 minutes longer than expected and other parts they expected to take a long time could only take a short time.
Old 2010-06-18, 13:05   Link #4011
Lenyo

And uh, I'm telling you I DO understand... So, it's not like I'm being inconsiderate, I just wanted to ask "How's it?" You don't need to tell me twice that programming is difficult! Heck, I couldn't do what they're doing in five years!
Old 2010-06-18, 13:12   Link #4012
DivineWolfwood

Quote:
And uh, I'm telling you I DO understand... So, it's not like I'm being inconsiderate, I just wanted to ask "How's it?" You don't need to tell me twice that programming is difficult! Heck, I couldn't do what they're doing in five years!
People tend to feel that asking consistently for status updates is inconsiderate; you asked that only 3 days after he had given the last one. All you'll do by peppering them "Hey, how's it going now!" is at best slow them down by getting them to consistently post, and at worst it will annoy them and make them take longer because it makes them want to work on the project less.

I know you don't have any ill intentions, and you're as excited as the rest of us, but let people provide status updates when they have them. Just asking for them won't do anything.
DivineWolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 13:40   Link #4013
Lenyo

Yes... And I have been told this several times, and I apologize. I'm not looking to start an argument when I just got here. Ahaha...

So who here has played Episode six in Japanese?
Old 2010-06-18, 13:48   Link #4014
Laserworm
Maelstorm-Fenrir

Quote:
Yes... And I have been told this several times, and I apologize. I'm not looking to start an argument when I just got here. Ahaha...

So who here has played Episode six in Japanese?
I have, but I mostly used ATLAS, cause I can't read much japanese. (Hopefully I will be able to use ATLAS less for ep7, and not at all for ep8.)
Old 2010-06-18, 13:50   Link #4015
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

A few people did (I'm one of those), then some else used automatic translators, and there's others who read summaries and then browsed this forum to fill the gaps.

If you sum them all it makes the majority of the active users of this board.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 13:54   Link #4016
Lenyo

An automatic translator? How would you go about that awhilst playing an Umineko game? I'm curious...
Old 2010-06-18, 14:06   Link #4017
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Quote:
An automatic translator? How would you go about that awhilst playing an Umineko game? I'm curious...
You use a text hooker programm and then something like ATLAS. So you have the japanese text in a little window beside the game and the translation. You look back and forth while playing.

It is bearable as soon as you get used to it and sometime it makes it easier to translate it for yourself. It is a matter of taste, I guess.
Old 2010-06-18, 14:14   Link #4018
Kylon99

I use a program called Translation Aggregator 0.2.4. You also need AGTH (Another Good Text Hooker) which is the program that actually hooks into the program and copies the text to the clipboard. Translation Aggregator then takes the sentence and parses it up with lookups to EDICT. It also has some other panels to send the translation to Google or Babelfish... although those aren't very good most of the time. They are good for entertainment value though. 8)

While the program is very useful, I found that if you could read most of the Japanese already then it ends up slowing you back down. Also you'll spend most of the game looking at the Translation Aggregator rather than the game itself.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-18, 14:16   Link #4019
Laserworm
Maelstorm-Fenrir

It isn't as easy as it sounds though. Most of the time the translations are terrible. "The eight castles starred at me"

That was one of the translated lines
Old 2010-06-18, 14:23   Link #4020
Kylon99

Yes, technically the panel that does the dictionary lookup is the most useful. The sentence remains in Japanese so it requires that you know how to read it, grammatically speaking.

Especially with a game like Umineko, relying on those full translations into English will probably screw you up. 8)
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
translation