AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2010-11-10, 08:07   Link #4041
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
^ I would feel a bit uncomfortable about Iran or Saudi Arabia being on that board. Both of them have a history of not giving women the same rights as men, despite what certain people may say that their religion offers relative freedom to them. While their religion may or may not offer those things, it's fact that their government and the people who preach Islam don't, and their presence in the board will stall much of whatever progress it will make in the future.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 09:55   Link #4042
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Chinese dad whose son was sickened by tainted milk jailed for activism .
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1793065/
Old 2010-11-10, 10:19   Link #4043
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Missus View Post
Oh for Pete's sake. Honestly, some people in power do the most ridiculous things...
It is because you don't understand the basics of macroeconomics and state-level finance. Then again, monetary policy with regards to GDP/GNP are often messy and require lots of reading, so it is impossible to iterate them in layman terms.

Sri Lanka's state finances flow out of the country and leave them poorer if they are over-reliant on food import. This ban may be hard, but it is hard, fast and effective policy. However its effectiveness may turn against the rulers in the form of starvation if their local rice supply is not self-sufficient or sustainable for long term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Sri Lanka declares war on an unlikely enemy - wheat

As a bread and rice eater, i find this wheat ban idiotic.
From a wholly neutral POV, the government is doing something pragmatic because they just won a civil war - they probably ran out of choices to stop hyperinflation.

The wheat ban isn't "idiotic" because that word means that it is useless, inefficient and a stupid decision. It would be better described as simply "myopic" because it causes the local subsistence to shift towards a self-sufficient economy - it is still for survival's sake.

If I am not wrong, Sri Lanka produces tea leaves as a cash crop. Wouldn't it be easier to stop them from growing tea and give them incentives to grow rice, saturate a local demand so price falls, and shifting the subsistence reliance to rice (because it became cheaper than wheat imports) through simple manipulation of their own economy?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 10:36   Link #4044
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Most certainly not the only case of it I bet. Sort the real issues of corruption out China, instead of frivolous hissy fits over non-issues like this and the Nobel prize boycott.
Old 2010-11-10, 13:33   Link #4045
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
The PRC authorities, in their quest for "harmonious society", seem to always punish the victims rather than make examples of the perpetrators. These authorities also missed a glorious chance to clean house and look good when all the school buildings collapsed because of corrupt local officials and constructors. Instead they just threatened many parents who had lost their only child...

So this really isn't silly or odd... more like just sad.
Old 2010-11-10, 13:48   Link #4046
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

At the time, I wondered if the death toll from the school collapses might provide an opening wedge into a broader public discourse over the regime's policies and failures, but it seems to have disappeared into the great maw of history without many lasting effects.

Maybe our friends living nearer the PRC have a different view?
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 13:58   Link #4047
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Will Canada, U.S. deny Iran seat on UN board for women’s rights?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1792761/

The simple idea than Iran could get on this board is simply ridiculous.
didn't sudan get a seat on the Human Rights Council?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The PRC authorities, in their quest for "harmonious society", seem to always punish the victims rather than make examples of the perpetrators.
they shot a few of them already.

Quote:
These authorities also missed a glorious chance to clean house and look good when all the school buildings collapsed because of corrupt local officials and constructors. Instead they just threatened many parents who had lost their only child...

i was talking to my dad about and his opinion was that the local officials had ties to people higher up in Bejing. That it wasn't just a simple case of local officials being corrupt.

Last edited by Xellos-_^; 2010-11-10 at 17:39.
Xellos-_^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-10, 14:06   Link #4048
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
didn't sudan get a seat on the Human Rights Council?
I don't know but it would be ridiculous as well.
By the way: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1793523/ They managed to block Iran.
Old 2010-11-10, 14:22   Link #4049
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The PRC authorities, in their quest for "harmonious society", seem to always punish the victims rather than make examples of the perpetrators. These authorities also missed a glorious chance to clean house and look good when all the school buildings collapsed because of corrupt local officials and constructors. Instead they just threatened many parents who had lost their only child...

It is pretty much like how the rest of the world is degenerating into. As long as you can pay, anyone will stand on your side.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-11-10, 22:17   Link #4050
FateAnomaly

Degenerated? Isn't it always like that?
FateAnomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 00:05   Link #4051
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
I don't know but it would be ridiculous as well.
By the way: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1793523/ They managed to block Iran.
At last, a bit of common sense in the world.
Old 2010-11-11, 01:51   Link #4052
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
At last, a bit of common sense in the world.
Not sure about that: Saudi Arabia got elected .
Old 2010-11-11, 01:52   Link #4053
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by FateAnomaly View Post
Degenerated? Isn't it always like that?
Not when the amount of money paid out is increasing. And thanks to "political correctness", legalised bribery is known as "lobbying".

Old 2010-11-11, 04:17   Link #4054
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
That'll teach me for not reading the link first.
Old 2010-11-11, 05:16   Link #4055
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Lol indeed. I could easily make an argument that Saudi's even worse than Iran when it comes to women's rights. If Iran got blocked, why elect Saudi? At least you're presented with the other side of an argument regarding women's rights from someone but still, I feel that considering the movement is designed to give women more freedom, having someone against that won't be good for the cause.
Old 2010-11-11, 05:26   Link #4056
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Lol indeed. I could easily make an argument that Saudi's even worse than Iran when it comes to women's rights. If Iran got blocked, why elect Saudi? At least you're presented with the other side of an argument regarding women's rights from someone but still, I feel that considering the movement is designed to give women more freedom, having someone against that won't be good for the cause.
The "other side"? Either it's equality or nothing. I honestly can't see why women can't have equals rights as everyone else.
Old 2010-11-11, 05:36   Link #4057
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
The "other side"? Either it's equality or nothing. I honestly can't see why women can't have equals rights as everyone else.
Islamics have different views on women's rights so they could present a different argument with regards to the topic. But that would only be true if the Saudi government was in fact true to the scriptures. Truth is that Saudi doesn't give women the sort of rights the Quran actually grants them (I'm not even the one saying this, but my best friend who is part Saudi part Egyptian himself). That's why I said I don't find it right that Saudi be part of the UN board.
Old 2010-11-11, 05:39   Link #4058
Xion Valkyrie

Okay, apparently they're going to start selling Domo-kun toys at Taco Bell:

http://www.tacobell.com/menu/kids-meals

I'm so getting some.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-11-11, 05:44   Link #4059
Azumanga Davo
Chiyo IQ, Osaka Aptitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoshi View Post
Islamics have different views on women's rights so they could present a different argument with regards to the topic. But that would only be true if the Saudi government was in fact true to the scriptures. Truth is that Saudi doesn't give women the sort of rights the Quran actually grants them (I'm not even the one saying this, but my best friend who is part Saudi part Egyptian himself). That's why I said I don't find it right that Saudi be part of the UN board.
Well, I do hope that Saudi Arabia can at least progress in this area from now on. Time will tell.

Wish we had Taco Bell...
Old 2010-11-11, 05:50   Link #4060
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Well, I do hope that Saudi Arabia can at least progress in this area from now on. Time will tell.

Wish we had Taco Bell...
Hard to say considering they've been like this for a long long time. It was like this when I moved there more than 10 years ago and not a bit of progress was made in that direction, so it'll take a long while before that happens. But maybe, just maybe, their being part of this board could be the first step in that direction after all, you never know There are other islamic countries with more rights for women. That being said, I'm not very optimistic about that.

And Taco Bell......hmmmm We do have that in the military base close to my hometown in Sicily. I might find some there....

Tags
humor