AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha The MOVIE 1st - rating
Perfect 10 61 43.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 30.22%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 8.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 17 12.23%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 1.44%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.72%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.72%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-09, 22:10   Link #401
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
no it is not this is kaito tenshi twin angel not twin angel they are thieves well more like they steal from thieves

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=9235 look it up first

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-02-11, 19:59   Link #402
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

This review made me chuckle a bit -
http://punynari.wordpress.com/2010/0...the-movie-1st/

And it's also quite a detailed review.
Old 2010-02-11, 20:59   Link #403
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Send a message via AIM to Noe Send a message via MSN to Noe
That review...*must aspire to publish something similar to that.*

ALL HAIL FATE T. HARLAOWN!
#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-02-11, 20:59   Link #404
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post

Honestly didn't impress me all that much. All I'm really hearing about the movie is the pretty animation and the new additions to the backstory; really, is that all they changed? Rather disappointing since they claimed the movie would be an AU retelling of the first season.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:19   Link #405
leodamine
Divine Akuma

well, Fate's past would be alternate to those who haven't listened to the sound stages I guess. Also if you've read the manga (assuming that it really has parts of the movie in it...) then that scene where
Spoiler for Nanoha movie manga and or movie:
seems to put a new spin on Nanoha's confusion found within the first season.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:30   Link #406
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
Honestly didn't impress me all that much. All I'm really hearing about the movie is the pretty animation and the new additions to the backstory; really, is that all they changed? Rather disappointing since they claimed the movie would be an AU retelling of the first season.
mM, wasn't it already a foregone conclusion that the story itself remained similar based on the first person who gave us spoilers in this thread and reviewed the movie?

You might consider it "unimpressive" simply because you know how it will unfold, but for those who have not watched the first season, or those who wanted to see the first season done right...It will far exceed the expectations compared to what the original series could pull off.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:36   Link #407
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
You might consider it "unimpressive" simply because you know how it will unfold, but for those who have not watched the first season, or those who wanted to see the first season done right...It will far exceed the expectations of what the original series could pull off.
For the record, I could care less whether or not it exceeds expectations of the original series. The movie was marketed as an AU retelling of the first season, and personally I'm not seeing much AU, which is a major disappointment for me, pretty animation and better fights aside. Epic failure, IMO, to market it as an AU when it's far from that, and it only makes me even less eager to see the movie.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:43   Link #408
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

*shrug* Well, something that isn't 100% accurate to the original Canon would make it AU...The redesigned BJ and devices are enough to make something AU in itself.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:43   Link #409
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Stop crying and stop complaining already. If the movie doesn't even slightly appeal to you, what's your incentive in even posting anymore anyway? There are actually users here who would enjoy it nonetheless, who would watch it without a complaint (with due circumspection to minor flaws and adjustments if needed), and who will stick to the series through the end. I honestly think the accumulated hype and the overall success of the movie in Japan affected you.

#Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net to revere, share, and cherish Fate Testarossa Harlaown.
My blog
Old 2010-02-11, 21:46   Link #410
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noe View Post
Stop crying and stop complaining already. If the movie doesn't even slightly appeal to you, what's your incentive in even posting anymore anyway? There are actually users here who would enjoy it nonetheless, who would watch it without a complaint (with due circumspection to minor flaws and adjustments if needed), and who will stick to the series through the end. I honestly think the accumulated hype and the overall success of the movie in Japan affected you.
It's an opinion thread, I'm allowed to post my opinion even if I don't like what I'm seeing in the movie. It doesn't make me less of a fan just because right now I'm not too thrilled about the direction of the movie, and it isn't like I can post about it anywhere else without being off-topic.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:46   Link #411
Archon_Wing
Did nothing wrong
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

Hah, review looks like pretty much what I expected. Though one detail was wrong about the new stuff.

*Shrugs* I just expect to see a revised season 1, and it looks good for that.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-02-11, 21:51   Link #412
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
I kinda have to agree. The movie was marketed as an AU, but it was as AU as a hamburger is from a cheeseburger; all they added was cheese.

You know, it *is* perfectly alright for someone to state they're dissatisfaction with a product, if it doesn't meet up to marketed and hyped standards. But I suppose the right move is just to bend over and take it, and not to ever complain or make suggestions on how something could be improved, hmm?

I still stand by my rating, but I'm under no illusions about what I'm getting when I go see it now: a prettied-up and shortened re-telling, that skimps on the family and her friends, in order to add a few new pretty fight scenes, and animating the Fate back story. They would have been better off making Fate's back story a couple of OAV's, and putting the movie budget into something better; perhaps some original story.

Hell, part of me was looking forward to recommending the movie to my friends, instead of the series, so they wouldn't have to see the henshin sequences, but this movie couldn't even manage that.

Opportunity costs: to get something, you have to give up something that probably could have been even better.

Edit to add: The movie manga was an actual AU, which is what most people think of when they think of an AU story: ya know, actual meaningful differences.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:53   Link #413
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Quote:
It's an opinion thread, I'm allowed to post my opinion even if I don't like what I'm seeing in the movie. It doesn't make me less of a fan just because right now I'm not too thrilled about the direction of the movie, and it isn't like I can post about it anywhere else without being off-topic.
I acknowledge that it's an opinion thread. Yet you're one of the few that I've seen that's literally 'bashing' it in a sense. I mean, seeing everything from filmstrips to constant promotion complemented with a large surplus of merchandise are already strong indications that it will be a highly entertaining movie to view. It's best not to judge it in a detrimental manner without even first seeing and completing it. Who knows, you might even appreciate the producers for calling it an 'alternate universe' even though you believed otherwise after it's over. It is an 'alternate universe' in a sense because it's not entirely from the perspective of Nanoha's in the first season.
Additionally, there are actually plenty of places to discuss - the Fate T. Harlaown Goddess Fanclub for example or logging into #Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net is adequate too. (if you use IRC)

My blog
Old 2010-02-11, 21:57   Link #414
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
I acknowledge that it's an opinion thread. Yet you're one of the few that I've seen that's literally 'bashing' it in a sense. I mean, seeing everything from filmstrips to constant promotion complemented with a large surplus of merchandise are already strong indications that it will be a highly entertaining movie to view. It's best not to judge it in a detrimental manner without even first seeing and completing it. Who knows, you might even appreciate the producers for calling it an 'alternate universe' even though you believed otherwise after it's over. It is an 'alternate universe' in a sense because it's not entirely from the perspective of Nanoha's in the first season.
Additionally, there are actually plenty of places to discuss - the Fate T. Harlaown Goddess Fanclub for example or logging into #Feitoism @ irc.rizon.net is adequate too. (if you use IRC)
I've pointed out that the movie has good points; overall, though, I feel the marketing for it and the actual story itself is the main point of dissatisfaction for me. Focusing on Fate's backstory, remaking the fight scenes, and changing around the weapons does not make a world AU. An AU world is a world completely different from canon, putting the same characters in different situations. I was excited by the prospect of seeing an AU retelling of season 1, so naturally, I am disappointed to see that overall the movie has not held true to that premise and still tells much the same story, with few changes. If they were just going to focus on Fate's backstory, they should have made it an OVA series as Kai suggested, instead of putting movie animation into it.

This, of course, is my personal opinion. You are free to disagree with me, but it is where I stand.
Old 2010-02-11, 21:57   Link #415
leodamine
Divine Akuma

The sound dramas show that it ain't AU though. Not sure about how the sound dramas fit into the canon universe or if they should be regarded similarly to the Megami sound stages. If they're like the Megami sound stages, then my point's moot.

Edit @ Noe

are there any irc channels dedicated to Nanoha? I love Fate, but Nanoha will always be #1 for me
Old 2010-02-11, 22:03   Link #416
Noe
HARDCORE Fate addict™

Quote:
I've pointed out that the movie has good points; overall, though, I feel the marketing for it and the actual story itself is the main point of dissatisfaction for me. Focusing on Fate's backstory, remaking the fight scenes, and changing around the weapons does not make a world AU. An AU world is a world completely different from canon, putting the same characters in different situations. I was excited by the prospect of seeing an AU retelling of season 1, so naturally, I am disappointed to see that overall the movie has not held true to that premise and still tells much the same story, with few changes. If they were just going to focus on Fate's backstory, they should have made it an OVA series as Kai suggested, instead of putting movie animation into it.

This, of course, is my personal opinion. You are free to disagree with me, but it is where I stand.
Like I emphasized, from my previous post then - 'I honestly think the accumulated hype and the overall success of the movie in Japan affected you' - which is the case here. Oh well, a great aphorism - 'can't please everybody' I suppose. However, the previous post emits vibes that you have no more incentive of even faith or hope in the movie: 'For the record, I could care less whether or not it exceeds expectations of the original series. [...] Epic failure, IMO, to market it as an AU when it's far from that, and it only makes me even less eager to see the movie. ' That was much too brash. As for myself, I always try to restrain my levels of expectations because if something unexpected happens, my dreams might fall short.

My blog
Old 2010-02-11, 22:06   Link #417
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Quote:
However, the previous post emits vibes that you have no more incentive of even faith or hope in the movie.
I don't hide this fact. I have never hidden the fact that right now, my interest and faith in the movie is below zero. That doesn't mean that I'm not curious to see how the big screen tries to pull it off, and I'm not against pretty animation if all else fails.

In any case, I only commented, and didn't mean to stir this up and possibly drag the thread off-topic. I apologize and I'll drop this issue; if it still bothers you, please send me a PM or VM concerning the matter.
Old 2010-02-11, 22:07   Link #418
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
I'm sorry, you're expecting objective discussion in a place called "Fate Goddess Fanclub"? If anything, someone who has no personal favorite character would hold a more objective viewpoint, then people who are already predisposed to liking a certain character; and thus find any commentary which holds said character in a less-than positive light, to be near blasphemous.
Old 2010-02-11, 22:08   Link #419
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Edit to add: The movie manga was an actual AU, which is what most people think of when they think of an AU story: ya know, actual meaningful differences.
IMO, the AU was blown out of proportion. Originally it was stated as a retelling, and then the director said "Well, I wouldnt consider it a direct retelling, it's something like an AU." Which isn't wrong, because it doesn't replicate the original series, it has it's differences. Quite a few of them if you were to name each seperatly.

He said specifically that it will unfold very similar to the original series, but where the battles take place (and how they fight) and the designs...will both be different. It is not the movies fault for making assumptions on story elements that never existed. It was always marketed to be similar to the original series.
Old 2010-02-11, 22:14   Link #420
Kaijo
Banned

Quote:
IMO, the AU was blown out of proportion. Originally it was stated as a retelling, and then the director said "Well, I wouldnt consider it a direct retelling, it's something like an AU." Which isn't wrong, because it doesn't replicate the original series, it has it's differences. Quite a few of them if you were to name each seperatly.

He said specifically that it will unfold very similar to the original series, but where the battles take place (and how they fight) and the designs...will both be different It is not the movies fault for making assumptions that never existed.
In one sense, you may be correct, but for the most part, the budget could have been better spent elsewhere. If this is all we could expect, I rather would have had some new material.

All we've been shuffled is season 1, with a bunch of stuff cut to make room to fit in 2 hours, and it's been prettied up. It's sorta like a Director's Cut, only they actually cut a ton more than they added.

It's a decent product, but it's just last year's model repackaged with a shiny new cover, which does attract those that are entranced by shiny objects.
Closed Thread