Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2022-10-02, 21:01   Link #421
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Soul View Post
Yeah, I'm surprised by how little Loid appears in the OP and how Yor+Anya centric it is.
I think Occam’s Razor applies to that one.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-02, 22:42   Link #422
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Wait, that was Bump?! It was so... just there. I'm not saying you have to shout in every song, but it felt like he was whispering the entire time.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-03, 03:10   Link #423
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

It's back! After a busy weekend, finally got to watch the new episode. I had thoughts about Full Metal Alchemist when they were going over experiments on animals.

What's the dog's name? Mr. Dog? or "Borg"? Anyways, it can see into the near future which I'm sure will come in handy. It's a bit old and naive and not super bright (ran in circles), but it's got a good heart and is brave, to an extent.

Yor does her things best. Jumped up high for that aerial view and pin balled the kick out of that one baddy, surprising both dogs.

Awesome start to the new season.
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 10:59   Link #424
Frontier

Let's start off with a recap of that satisfying Yor beatdown and the pinball she turned that man into (and somehow he survived...maybe)! And her blushing when talking about her marriage! Yor is the complete package, and is a great mom !

Ulp. The dog showed Anya the darkest timeline. Loid dead, the family broken, and war about to break out. Looks like their job isn't done quite yet .

Man, Anya has gotten a lot of mileage out of Loid being on the toilet. Also poor Yor loses her daughter again .

WISE doesn't mess around! They manage to snag all the college student terrorists expect Keith, who seeks to fulfill his goals no matter who he has to sacrifice and writes it off as for the sake of the nation. What a deluded maniac .

These student terrorists talk a big game, but Sylvia properly puts her heel through one guys' teeth, puts the fear of God into them, and makes them realize how out of their depth they've been. In other words, Sylvia is awesome !

Poor Anya can't read clocks...but she also doesn't quite understand how minutes work either. But she can still make do with her wits and dedication !

Watching so many spy shows did not prepare Anya for actually disposing of a bomb, although her putting on her gloves like a cool bomb disposal agent was cute. Luckily she can make do with some ketchup, even though they mistook her message as an eggplant instead of a bomb. But luckily her dad saw through it .

That Brentz guy seemed like a tool, so I can't say it's not satisfying to see Loid strip him, take his identity, and leave him behind to complete the mission. Also, tighty-whities? Come on, man .

Oh hey, Yuri! First proper appearance this season .

Loid leads Keith on a wilds goose chase and then makes Brentz out to be a master of parkour as he avoids Keith and the last bomb dog. But it looks like Loid is ready to finally finish this nonsense .

Next week...the family is reunited! With a new member in tow !
Old 2022-10-08, 14:14   Link #425
magnumcyclonex
Cyclone Magnum

Good episode this week! Things are full swing with disabling the terrorist plot and seems like "Borf" the white doggie can foresee two (or multiple?) possible futures, which can be changed.

Yor loses Anya again after they gallop off to "bring toilet paper to daddy", but Anya ends up playing a key role in using her "blood" ketchup to write that message.

For the longest time, I thought this would be a Loid-less episode. How wrong I was! He's pretty incredible for a 60 year old minister, parkouring across town and poor dog, about to get shot (but it's probably a tranquilizer).

Slyvia is one bad ass woman! The verbal picture she painted was dark and gruesome, I almost felt like I wasn't watching a light cartoony spy anime but a super serious one!

Next week, "Borf" the white dog officially joins the "family" so it seems!
magnumcyclonex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 18:29   Link #426
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Anya literally says "dying message" in English, yet somehow CR "translated" it to "message in blood". How do they do it?

As for the actual content, it was really good but I'm having a hard time buying a super spy like Loid would die in such an obvious trap. They were looking for a freaking bomber, him booby trapping his hideout is pretty much to be expected. I guess you can argue it was one of his colleagues who rushed in and he couldn't stop him in time in the darkest timeline.

Still can't get over how good the OP looks.

Apparently, this episode caused a bit of a shitstorm in Japan. Not because of the content, but because the channel aired it late due to a Ping Pong match going into overtime and DVR recordings failed as a result, leaving them with no way to watch the episode.
Old 2022-10-08, 19:14   Link #427
ryllharu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Anya literally says "dying message" in English, yet somehow CR "translated" it to "message in blood". How do they do it?
As indefensible as it is, I feel like this was the correct localization of the idiom though.

Anya is equating it in the weird way she does to the fiction she watches. Someone leaving a dying message of who killed them on the floor or wall for the hero to find. But the Western way of describing that idiom is "writing their killer's name in blood."

It is something translators have to do from time to time. Japanese idioms (or any other country's for that matter) often make absolutely no sense out of their home language.

This was just one of those weird incidents where they're using the intended English somewhat improperly in the first place. Anya's typical pattern is messing up her Japanese, but getting the cartoon/spy and violent fiction phrases correct every time.
ryllharu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 21:56   Link #428
Random14

I don't blame Anya for reacting like that, Yor is definitely scarier than the dog. Good thing for Anya that Yor isn't as good at tracking her as she is at fighting. So cute seeing Anya riding around on her new dog friend.

Twilight's Handler sure sounds like she's been through some serious stuff. War's definitely not just some abstract idea for her or Twilight.

I forget sometimes how young Anya is, that she can't even read a clock (well, guess that's reflected in her grades too). Good thing Anya's spy shows give her a vague idea of what to do, or rather what not to do.

That old guy is useless. At least Twilight more than makes up for it. Its funny seeing the "minister" running around like that. Now just to wrap up this case and for everyone to go home.
Random14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 22:18   Link #429
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
This episode had a lot of great little moments that humanize the cast. Anya is bold, brave, and a good kid. But she's still a kid. Her powers don't magically give her the ability to disarm bombs...and she still can't tell time . Yor is a badass superwoman, but she still remembered to stop herself and stay with her daughter. She just had a panic attack over losing her once, she wasn't going to run off without her. And Loid really resonated with Sylvia's war speech. He gets it.

And the show really had some great chilling moments. That dog is great. He allows us to see scenes the show can't make happen because...we'd lose main characters. Anya looking down on Loid's dead body was good. Same with that tragic image of Yor and Anya alone after he died.

Don't even mind the way Loid might have died. When in a hurry, mistakes can happen. If he was thinking about needing to get back to his family a bit faster and didn't immediately stop that guy...Who knows how things might have played out. Maybe that guy rushed ahead and Loid was distracted by something and just didn't quite stop him in time.
Old 2022-10-08, 22:39   Link #430
Frontier

Quote:
Apparently, this episode caused a bit of a shitstorm in Japan. Not because of the content, but because the channel aired it late due to a Ping Pong match going into overtime and DVR recordings failed as a result, leaving them with no way to watch the episode.
That's...more understandable than I was expecting .
Old 2022-10-08, 23:34   Link #431
Strahan

Loid is lucky the bad guy wasn't quick on the trigger; at this range, assuming those pouches have something like C4 or Semtex in them, he'd have been pretty badly messed up, if not killed outright.

Strahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-08, 23:59   Link #432
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strahan View Post
Loid is lucky the bad guy wasn't quick on the trigger; at this range, assuming those pouches have something like C4 or Semtex in them, he'd have been pretty badly messed up, if not killed outright.

He is. Although considering he really only has one bomb and is hardly a trained assassin he probably wanted to play it safe and get the explosive right on the target first. Plus considering it's a trained dog going after what he figures is an older man...he probably figured there wasn't much risk in letting the chase go on. So in that sense Loid might not have needed all that much luck if he took that into account.
Old 2022-10-09, 06:27   Link #433
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllharu View Post
As indefensible as it is, I feel like this was the correct localization of the idiom though.

Anya is equating it in the weird way she does to the fiction she watches. Someone leaving a dying message of who killed them on the floor or wall for the hero to find. But the Western way of describing that idiom is "writing their killer's name in blood."

It is something translators have to do from time to time. Japanese idioms (or any other country's for that matter) often make absolutely no sense out of their home language.

This was just one of those weird incidents where they're using the intended English somewhat improperly in the first place. Anya's typical pattern is messing up her Japanese, but getting the cartoon/spy and violent fiction phrases correct every time.
English isn't my first language but I've heard the idiom "dying message" in quite a few American shows before. It's not actually the meaning Anya intended, and that was the joke.
Old 2022-10-09, 09:29   Link #434
James Rye

Anya got no school smarts but street smarts, cannot read a clock, almost opens a door that would blow her up but gets the idea to use ketchup to write an eggplant and some grass as a bomb. Maybe I should call her peanut smart instead of street smart. xD

Handler was badass, sure shut those war-hungry kids up (collateral damage = die for your country = what better ending can you ask for? Assholes!) with her speech.

Twilight just walking in and robbing the Minister of Westalis of his clothes was also nice. That old guy is way too full of himself.^^
Old 2022-10-09, 14:22   Link #435
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
English isn't my first language but I've heard the idiom "dying message" in quite a few American shows before. It's not actually the meaning Anya intended, and that was the joke.
I'm with Kanon on this one. Clearly it was supposed to be a joke with Anya overdramatizing the message to be a "Dying Message" like on the shows she watches. Translating it as "message is blood" is just... I don't even know how to react. They basically ignored the joke.

Oh well, I'm going to chalk that up to a rush job... maybe? I can't even see how that would happen. Unless it was an ad-lib during recording which wasn't in the original script. That would explain why the translator missed it (if they were working out of the script but didn't have access to the final episode in time to check).
Old 2022-10-09, 16:35   Link #436
magnuskn

Gotta say, the sound of that asshole students nose cartilage breaking into itsy bitsy tiny pieces was one of the most satisfying sound effects I've heard in the last years.
Old 2022-10-09, 19:47   Link #437
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

When you pay your translators in expired Wendy's coupons and sacks of pennies that sort of thing will happen.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-11, 19:32   Link #438
grecefar

I hope the next is the last of this arc and as much I enjoyed it, I still miss the academy and anya shennanigans.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-10-12, 04:59   Link #439
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by grecefar View Post
I hope the next is the last of this arc and as much I enjoyed it, I still miss the academy and anya shennanigans.
Curiously, I feel the exact opposite. I much prefer the Spy shenanigans over the school stuff. To each their own I guess
Old 2022-10-12, 11:01   Link #440
Frontier

It's all about the balance .

Tags
action, bondman, comedy, espionage, james bond, secret agency