AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2009-04-10, 02:56   Link #421
WhiteWings

He turned out pretty good. He grew up and matured and wised up. At least he didn't go and cost a main characters life because of his stupid actions as some Gundam characters did once.

Well, at least Saji grew up decently and we got to see it. Whatever happened to everyone else? Feldt? Marina? Allelujah/Hallelujah? Hmm?
Old 2009-04-10, 07:43   Link #422
Dean_the_Young
Has a life IRL

Feldt got over her Lockon crush, finishing her development after about 30 episodes. Marina was who she always was, and got back to her country. Allelujah got what he's always been looking for, a reason to live. That was the completion of their character arcs.
Dean_the_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 14:45   Link #423
Kir

To be frankly, I didn't see any significance in Saji's character in this series. If you scrapped Saji and Louise from this series, it wouldn't have any forms of impact to the plot. Saji should have been a journalist in the first place rather than an inexperienced pilot and the concept of 0-Raiser should have never brought up.

It would have made his character to be more interesting than his initial character. For instance, continuing his sister's work and exposing the Federation and its atrocious actions in Middle East, as well as the existence of the Innovators. Not to mention his sister's death wouldn't have been in vain, which is kinda sad.
Kir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-16, 20:43   Link #424
kakakka

At the end of s1, they pretty much hinted that Saji already (tried) to forget about his past and already looked forward to the future. So Saji going to fill his sister's role is pretty much not the direction he's supposed to go. If his character has more spine at the beginning, it would have happened.

And yes, he wasted his sister's death. A guy like him? Yeah, forgetting it ever happened (to move on) is the most sound solution for him. Chasing a better (more peaceful) future with Louise is more motivational than chasing Kinue's (dead) focus of work.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-17, 00:14   Link #425
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

What Saji did in S2 actually had considerable effect on how Setsuna wanted to change.

Setsuna's wanting to change is caused mainly by Lockon, Marina and Saji.

The problems between Saji and Louise was one of the important parts for Setsuna to realise that the TDS is a system that can bridge the gap between people and allow them to have a medium to understand each other. It all started with Saji and Louise hearing each other, then Setsuna understood shortly that its not just voices, but people can open their hearts to each other.

That is Saji and Louise's importance here.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 04:53   Link #426
Levy
differently sober

I've always felt that Saji was there for us, normal people, to feel more called up on the themes that are brought up in the show, and that are nothing but light (war, terrorism, manipulation of information...)

Beside his private arc, with his relationship with Louise, he is there to show that normal people should realize that the things happening far away from their backyard should matter to them, because you can never know, the same terrible things you hear on the news might happen to you anytime if you don't do anything to help things getting better - and this was also the point of the uprising led by Hercule: ignorant civilians are responsible for what their indifference allows their governemnt to do.

I appreciated very much the choice to have tag-teamed the 'hero' of the story with such and 'anti-heroic' character as Saji is, because his presence makes a bridge between the extraordinary (Setsuna) and the ordinary (us, the viewers) and that's another reason why I love his character. =)
Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 07:33   Link #427
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Man, how much does this guy just OWN at the very end of ep.23 during the fight against Regnant. For a character that doesn't fight, he sure made an impact in this show!
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 08:47   Link #428
KaiDamien
Sua-ve-ke-va

Am i the only who thought *insert text below* about Saji.
Quote:
Saji- He has got like the second most character development in the series. I don’t like him but neither do I hate him. . The show gave him and Louise good character development, but I feel that his character is redundant in the show. I still rmb in S1 where I was wondering what importance is he going to have in the story and in the later parts of S1 I was hoping that his scene would end faster. In S2 he had more importance, many people say that his most important role is in 0 Raiser but I feel that whole 0 Raiser needing a pilot forced. They could have just made it just like Trans-Am; just press a button to activate. It’s as if they put the whole 0 Raiser needing a pilot for Saji and I felt it was poorly done. Overall I feel that Saji’s character should have been scrapped and give it to Al, Graham and Ali and other characters like Liu Mei and her brother. I wouldn’t mind Louise character being scrapped if Saji was dropped from the show.
KaiDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-20, 11:56   Link #429
kakakka

No your not the only one. But from the feels of it, the whole "he shouldn't be there" comments are rather stupid to read over and over. It's just there for the hate. The reasons are basically the same if I said Hal, Graham, and Ali shouldn't be on the show.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-21, 02:36   Link #430
M_Flores
Count of Monte Dorifto

Send a message via MSN to M_Flores
Well, I'd say yes and no.

Throughout the course of the overall plot, Saji just might be redundant and doesnt really move it along. But in terms of the show itself, for the audience, his role allows us to look at the story in a different way. As a normal, civilian character who believes that the situation has nothing to do with them and takes some time to realize that it does - someone we can relate to. So yes, I believe Saji does have a purpose, for the actual show, not necessarily the main plot.

Like the battles that have been happening in our world today. Most of us here actual fit into Saji's shoes. Most of us here dont fly F-18 Hornets, or drive tanks, or fire Barret .50cal's. The only thing most of us here are able to do is call out to random people in the battlefield to stop fighting and try to understand each other.
The only difference is, there is no Twin Drive System to help us convey these messages.
M_Flores is offline   Reply With Quote