AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2022-10-29, 18:37   Link #4521
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

When I saw the chapter released this early I initially thought it was a joke chapter the scanlating team put together. Even though the art left no room for doubt regarding its authenticity, it was so bad I had a hard time accepting it was real. This would have been a very nice ending if it had been released like 100 chapters ago (before the Ishigami harem crap started) but now? It's too little too late.

When Oshi no Ko's special chapter gave a more conclusive and satisfying conclusion to this manga than the manga itself, you know there's something seriously wrong. People who didn't read it would have no idea whether Kaguya ever managed to achieve her dream or when she got married (Miyuki was aiming to propose in his forties... which is really bad).

Only part I liked was Kaguya saying "how cute" to Miyuki's face for the first time in the series. If I'm wrong and she actually did it before, disregard that, there's nothing to save.

At least I'm free now. Hopefully Oshi no Ko won't end up like this.
Old 2022-10-29, 20:49   Link #4522
Wandering Soul

Overall I'm fine with this. I would have liked to see everyone's adult like, but I guess that Oshi no Ko chapter/ Hayasaka's chapter will have to do.

Kaguya sama is still one of my favorite romcoms and I'd say the pre confession and even a chunk of the post confession chapters are still good. Thing did go downhill when the author focused on more dramatic arcs like the Hayaska arc, conflict with Shinomiya family, and the Iino drama though Hopefully Oshi no Ko doesn't suffer a similar decline in quality.
Old 2022-10-29, 21:18   Link #4523
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

It ended up well.. no twist, everyone get their own closure. Although it is clear that Aka planned to put some clues about the future of some characters (possibly in Oshi no Ko like he did before)

Spoiler for final chapter:
Old 2022-10-30, 04:37   Link #4524
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

That was ... weaker finale than I anticipated.

Really don't understand why Miyuki felt weird to attend Shuchinin graduation event, then followed by overwhelming nostalgia.
Its not like he's going out for twenty years, let alone fact that Kaguya contacted him almost everyday with Ishigami and Iino likely asked for some advice sometimes; doesn't help that Miyuki is always the weakest link of Student Council due to lack of defining traits so using him for stuffs like this felt more like as if Krillin taking down Majin Buu when Goku and Vegeta tired.

It bugs me the home teacher suddenly appeared and already on good terms with Miyuki.
Like, seriously? After the whole setting up new semester with Abe and some others went to trash bin in favor of Ishigami Bowl, Mikado and Shinomiya Family?
IMHO it would be much better if its Kaguya who walked around and overwhelmed by nostalgia. Ishigami would do as well, given both changed a lot through their times in Student Council.

Then of course author need to pull one last joke with Miyuki 40 y.o goal that looks misplaced to Kaguya "chase him to Stanford". Good luck, Oshi no Ko readers.

Old 2022-10-30, 04:46   Link #4525
Lex79

Liked the ending. A heartwarming reunion between President and his friends and all the students who look up to him, the last "how cute" scene, a ew mind war for getting proposed to. No time skip but even without it we know that President and Kaguya are going to realize their dreams and be happy. In the end, I'm really satisfied with this manga.
Old 2022-10-30, 07:16   Link #4526
WingedAccelerator

The final chapter had elements which I really liked, Kaguya's "True How cute" and gift, but I agree that Miyuki's issue shouldn't have been an issue.

I also kept thinking that Aka is too stubborn with his final appearance chapters and won't involve the others, then they just popped up last minute from nowhere. That part felt tacked on. Hayasaka, Maki, Kashiwagi, Tsubasa, Mikado got shafted. Oh, guess Ryuju Momo too.

Overall, I consider the manga a strong 9/10 till the festival.

I don't hate the Ice Kaguya arc, but I don't think it helped at all revealing how deeply Miyuki was involved in the basis of the manga from the very beginning, heck, it only undermines the journey. The Kaguya-chan chapter is one of the most funniest in the entire manga though. However, I despise what came after, the Christmas chapters with Ishigami, Tsubame and Iino. I lower my score to an 8/10 till Miyuki and Kaguya starts to officially go out in Chapter 160.

Then comes the slow downfall of the manga. Once again it was proven right that quality loss is imminent when the main couple gets together, holding up interest is impossible. This was not the only issue. Humor is subjective, but speaking for myself, I started finding the manga only sporadically to be really funny. Some light smiles or chuckles were not good enough. The real culprit however is how without exceptions, every named or ongoing "arcs" in the manga ended up with an unsatisfying, anticlimactic, annoying, disappointing resolution after hefty amount of buildup. Hayasaka's arc, the sex arc, Fujiwara learning the truth of Kaguya and Miyuki dating, the exchange party and ballroom dance, everything related to Ishigami and Iino, and of course, the Shinomiya Family arc + handling Mikado. Not to mention the introduced, but underutilized characters.

My final score is 6/10, it's better than avarage for sure, but I can't say that all of it was good enough for a seven. If I decided to reread it, I certainly know where to stop.
Old 2022-10-30, 07:18   Link #4527
magnuskn

Liked the ending, loved the manga, like that the incessant whining in this thread will finally finish. Please move on and don't start this crap in the anime thread when we reach certain points you disliked here.

9,5/10, one of the best.
Old 2022-10-30, 09:08   Link #4528
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Liked the ending, loved the manga, like that the incessant whining in this thread will finally finish. Please move on and don't start this crap in the anime thread when we reach certain points you disliked here.

9,5/10, one of the best.
Don't worry, I'm not a masochist, I'll drop the anime when it reaches that point.
Old 2022-10-30, 10:36   Link #4529
James Rye

It finally ended. I think this is one of those cases were an early ending with a spin-off of them being students/adults might have been better, but whatever. Was a fun, lately very tiring and sometimes frustrating ride, but fun nonetheless. But marrying at 40 years and those two doing the whole love war with the proposal stuff again?! Yeah, that just eye roll worthy. @.@
Old 2022-10-31, 00:14   Link #4530
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

IF they skipped to this chapter after their love confession I wouldn't mind but, for the love of ... this sure feels like a huge wasted potential.

At least the anime will adapt the best parts and leave it there.
Old 2022-10-31, 02:59   Link #4531
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

To skip Ishigami Bowl and the Oscar-worthy Shinomiya Family arc? Please no, don't you feel bad to anime-only audience for not getting authentic Kaguya-sama experience if that happens.
Old 2022-10-31, 13:13   Link #4532
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Huh?
Why is there an helicopter outside my house?
Old 2022-11-03, 04:41   Link #4533
WingedAccelerator

Unsurprisingly, Aka has announced that he is retiring as a manga artist and only continues to be a writer, working with artists, illustrators in the future. He noted that the weekly serialization was stressful and he came to realize his shortcomings as an artist. Kaguya-sama is complete, but at the same time he said there are some leftover stories to be told.
Old 2022-11-03, 09:23   Link #4534
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedAccelerator View Post
Unsurprisingly, Aka has announced that he is retiring as a manga artist and only continues to be a writer, working with artists, illustrators in the future. He noted that the weekly serialization was stressful and he came to realize his shortcomings as an artist. Kaguya-sama is complete, but at the same time he said there are some leftover stories to be told.
Considering how... self-destructive... he was getting in the later parts of Kaguya-sama, it makes a lot of sense. At least they let him end Kaguya-sama so he could breathe

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
Old 2022-11-03, 10:48   Link #4535
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Thank you for the helicopter then; he's doing his best to leave his trace as mangaka with a bang.

Old 2022-11-03, 11:41   Link #4536
Twi

Two manga at once was going to lead to burn out. I still remember in Oshi no Ko about the mangaka story arc and we saw how it was for someone with one popular series. It was a cry for help all this time...
Old 2022-11-03, 13:41   Link #4537
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

He chose to make 2 manga at once, he submitted his OnK pilot manga and they asked him to serialize it, he chose to go for it. He had plenty of fame for Kaguya and could easily announced a new project as soon as Kaguya ended.

Look at Reiji, critics aside, his manga sells and the moment he chose to make another manga series he crashed to a wall, neither Reiji and his editorial will say it but he had to put his new work on hiatus because the moment he focused on the new series his main series started to suffer with pretty awful moments that made his series took a hit from his very own audience to the point he had to suddenly take an emergency break (which he never had so far) during new years at the pool arc and give it a quick end, IMO he had planned to last longer than it did. that would've lead to more backslash because if we remember at that time the anime staff was working hard on promoting the second season scheduled for July while the author himself was undermining their effort.

So of course is wasn't a surprise for me that Kaguya quickly declined when Aka started working on a new series, until today I wonder what was he even expecting from his audience by delivering a rotting product (same goes for LN authors like Kazuma Kamachi whose main LN series Index is declining while he writes multiple works, neither managed to hit gold so far and the main series has plenty of wasted potential as if he was afraid of pulling a big move dissapointing once again his fandom for the Nth time).

I hope it doesn't happens again but I feel like OnK eventually will crash too.

Last edited by Kuroageha; 2022-11-03 at 14:22.
Old 2022-11-03, 18:54   Link #4538
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The really worrisome part is that he intends to serialize a new manga. Even if he'll only have to take care of the writing, it doesn't bode too well for Oshi no Ko. When an author is working on two series at once, one of them usually ends up getting the short hand of the stick. It's been Kaguya those past two years, and OnK might suffer the same fate.
Old 2022-11-03, 21:46   Link #4539
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

This happened with School Rumble back in the 2000...
Old 2022-11-03, 21:52   Link #4540
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
It was a cry for help all this time...
Reminder:

https://twitter.com/akasaka_aka/stat...88176033124352

https://twitter.com/akasaka_aka/stat...49734268870656

Not that I'm judging him for playing games but the whole, "accept shortcoming as an artist" come out 'cheap' for me considering its his own decisions to ran two weekly series on top of taking break whenever Apex tournament is up for training with his team. Who can guarantee running two series as writer-only won't lead to another Shinomiya Family arc in Oshi no Ko? Looking at it again, Minecraft chapter and some others, I kind of suspecting Fujiwara often unseen on same room and Miyuki going to Stanford is more of an excuse to reduce amount of people in Student Council room.

Tags
character derailment, coming of age, desconstruction, genre shift, love triangle, memeguya, no longer our guy, quality decline, romcom, school life