AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-07-03, 23:22   Link #4541
Ferhb

Yeah, but the main story was interrupted by more katrina bull and the novelization of preventer 5... You can find the first part here somewhere, Deacon already translated it. The second part, there's a beginning, I dont know if he intends to continue... And thats it, since there's no FT this month.
Ferhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:05   Link #4542
Destined_Fate

It is also strange since at the end of EW Duo was "Happy" with the fighting finally over and the credits even shows him being happy and going on dates with Hilde and moving on from his life of war. That guy doesn't seem to exist at all in FT Duo who seems to care more for a bike than anything else. Did everyone forget that Duo nearly lost it in Wing TV when Hilde almost died?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:12   Link #4543
Eeni

Also, a key piece of information that has not been mention to you Purdys (and from the sounds of if, you haven't read), it was Dorothy who ordered Heero to be awaken in order to kill Relena... and if Relena dies, so does everyone who has been vaccinated with the PPP, which I believe includes all of our gundam pilots, past and present... and 3 million other peoples of Mars.

I don't think I've ever seen so much nonsense in so little space. -FalsePrime

Stone Age man attempted to draw movement on cave walls by drawing mammoths with multiple legs. The artists worked until their eyes went bad, they got no pay, no credit, and they were eventually eaten by wild animals. Animation was born! - Tom Sito

And as the Black Beast lurched forward, escape for Arthur and his knights seemed hopeless, when suddenly, the animator suffered a fatal heart attack! The cartoon peril was no more. The quest for the Holy Grail could continue. - Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Eeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 01:35   Link #4544
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Well, I'm a bit worried by the Glory of Losers now too. It seems the plot changes are starting to become more and more evident. As you'll see in the latest chapter, OZ is infiltrating the space fortress for an apparent takeover.

Here's the thing that you have to realize about Frozen Teardrop: when we last saw the Gundam pilots, they were all in their teens. They're not going to be the teenyboppers they were back then. So of course their attitude towards things is going to change. Do you think I think and act the same way I did when I was their age? Of course not.

As for the crux of Frozen Teardrop, I think the problem lies with Sumizawa somehow trying to make up for what was lost in the television series. I don't even think most of the material that was told before is even relevant to the story anymore. It was interesting starting out with the memory chips a la Kathy's viewing, but they never really tied in with Heero's awakening.
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 02:12   Link #4545
Tendou Souji

That is what I was saying earlier in the thread Deacon. The characters are in their late 30s and early 40s now. They aren't going to behave the same. I could see if this novel was 5 years later but this is decades. Life happens. People go through things. Duo went through a dark patch in life. Remember that these guys never really got to experience life. They were always fighting and running on adrenaline. When you do something and finally get to sit down and think about it your mind is going to do laps. Soldiers go through it all the time. We should be surprised that only 1 of the 5 was screwed up. But it does make sense that it was Duo or Wufei. They have no blood relatives after the war. Heero had Relena to lean on. Wufei didn't really have anyone. I don't count Sally because they barely knew each other. Same for Duo and Hilde. Trowa had his sister and Quatre had the Maganacs and all of his sisters. Wufei lost his wife and his whole colony. Duo lost everything while he was a kid and was pretty suicidal. He tried to kill himself at least 3 times. People don't seem to remember that though.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 04:11   Link #4546
Purdys99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tendou Souji View Post
That is what I was saying earlier in the thread Deacon. The characters are in their late 30s and early 40s now. They aren't going to behave the same. I could see if this novel was 5 years later but this is decades. Life happens. People go through things. Duo went through a dark patch in life. Remember that these guys never really got to experience life. They were always fighting and running on adrenaline. When you do something and finally get to sit down and think about it your mind is going to do laps. Soldiers go through it all the time. We should be surprised that only 1 of the 5 was screwed up. But it does make sense that it was Duo or Wufei. They have no blood relatives after the war. Heero had Relena to lean on. Wufei didn't really have anyone. I don't count Sally because they barely knew each other. Same for Duo and Hilde. Trowa had his sister and Quatre had the Maganacs and all of his sisters. Wufei lost his wife and his whole colony. Duo lost everything while he was a kid and was pretty suicidal. He tried to kill himself at least 3 times. People don't seem to remember that though.
I can see where you're coming from on how it would be unrealistic, uninteresting, and also insulting to the audience's intelligence if the Gundam pilots were just given a cookie cutter fairy tale ending, and was then brought back 20 years later in their world, only to be exactly the same as they were when they were kids. I get that. Duo especially has had it rough and even with the happy EW ending montage of his life with Hilde, its a very reasonable opinion to say that he still had a long long road ahead of him to obtaining his peace of mind. And I can see why Sumisawa would use FT to explore the demons, mistakes, and consequences Duo would undoubtly face.

HOwever, with all your reasoning on WHY Duo is (or was) in FT, DOES NOT exucse the fact that his storyline is AWFULLY WRITTEN. I get that Sumisawa wanted to give Duo a dark storyline but its just so akwardly handled. There's no transition, no finesse. Duo's selfishness and bad behavior just seems to pop out of nowhere (in spite of his depression), Hilde is just downright hostile and vicious; both of them are left completely unrecognizable to the fans.

Its just such a disconnect to go from seeing them eating happily at a Chinese restaurant (EW) to Hilde slamming Duo to the ground and threatening him with a restraining order. o.O Do you see how jolting that is even with the time jump and they very short "Duo's depressed" explanation?

If Duo and Hilde had to break up, sure, fine! Have them break up! But what is the point of treating that idea with such brutality and crassness? "Sayanora Duo, I'm sick of you!" Why? Why is that necessary? If anything, their break up would've been so much more poignant and meaningful if Duo and Hilde came to the sad realization that Duo is not cut out to be in a relationship due to his depression and that Hilde can't do anything to save him. Their break up is mutual but is layered with heartache, reluctance, bitterness, and regret.

Instead, I found myself reading a scene worthy of a Jerry Springer episode =.=;;; So out of place, even given the dark undertones of the story.

Also I don't know where you're coming from when you say Duo and Hilde don't know each other enough for Duo to confide in Hilde. Its shown in the tv show that Hilde took Duo in at one point into her home and business where they lived together for a good amount of time before Duo returned to the battlefield again. And though GW is not known for great relationship development, it did manage to show the two interacting, working together, teasing each other, hanging out, etc. The two obviously became good friends. Not to mention, need I remind you of how flipped out Duo was when Hilde nearly got herself killed stealing Libra's info at the end of the series? Then of course, again, there is ending of EW. So to disagree with you, Duo had someone to confide in.

If anything, would it not make more sense for Duo to value Hilde more b/c it wasn't until he met her that he never thought he could ever find somebody to care for again since the Church massacre? Even with all the emotional/psychological turmoil he has to deal with, there's no reason to treat Hilde the way he did and vice versa as well. The marrying her and then forgetting her were completely avoidable; those actions were totally in his control and he didn't give a crap.

Again, its all subjective. I just don't find any of the ideas Sumizawa came up for Duo appealing. His 'past' plotline with Hilde and the church is just so badly executed in both writing and style that it has all the grace of a giant wrecking ball. Its clumsy, disjointed, and aside from tease of Duo Jr. being their son or not, irrelevant to the overall plot of FT.
Purdys99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 04:13   Link #4547
Purdys99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeni View Post
Also, a key piece of information that has not been mention to you Purdys (and from the sounds of if, you haven't read), it was Dorothy who ordered Heero to be awaken in order to kill Relena... and if Relena dies, so does everyone who has been vaccinated with the PPP, which I believe includes all of our gundam pilots, past and present... and 3 million other peoples of Mars.
I actually already got that part. And wow, again, adding to why none of the plot or the characters' motivations makes any sense @_@.

Seriously, Sumizawa needs an editor.
Old 2012-07-04, 04:17   Link #4548
Purdys99

Btw, was anyone reminded of Goku and Chichi of DBZ when reading about Duo and Hilde's past? How Duo had the same childish, irresponsible mentality to the point of forgetting he was even married and leaving everything w/o so much as a good bye. Very Goku-esque is it not?

And then with Hilde being this shrewd, violent, hot tempered woman that would break her husband's arm at a moment's notice and constantly calling him an idiot. Its totally Chichi! Was Sumizawa watching Dragonball when writing that chapter o.O???
Old 2012-07-04, 06:55   Link #4549
Destined_Fate

Goku never considered the thought of cheating on Chichi. He always knew he was married to her and did spend time with her. The only time he ever left her was when he was training, he had to save the universe, or he was dead. Duo just up and left Hilde, cheated on her, and left a kid on her doorstep while racking up a huge debt for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Well, I'm a bit worried by the Glory of Losers now too. It seems the plot changes are starting to become more and more evident. As you'll see in the latest chapter, OZ is infiltrating the space fortress for an apparent takeover.

Here's the thing that you have to realize about Frozen Teardrop: when we last saw the Gundam pilots, they were all in their teens. They're not going to be the teenyboppers they were back then. So of course their attitude towards things is going to change. Do you think I think and act the same way I did when I was their age? Of course not.

As for the crux of Frozen Teardrop, I think the problem lies with Sumizawa somehow trying to make up for what was lost in the television series. I don't even think most of the material that was told before is even relevant to the story anymore. It was interesting starting out with the memory chips a la Kathy's viewing, but they never really tied in with Heero's awakening.
That's still no excuse that FT Duo is completely different from old Duo and has none of the characteristics of old Duo. It's like selling someone a Car than they find out they got a rusty wagon.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 08:24   Link #4550
Ferhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdys99 View Post
I actually already got that part. And wow, again, adding to why none of the plot or the characters' motivations makes any sense @_@.

Seriously, Sumizawa needs an editor.
Again, everyone...

We still don't know what happened (supposedly we will after Preventer 5).
Yes, Relena's set up with the PPP, which has infected almost everyone on Mars and a lot of people on Earth. If she dies, it's triggered and everyone die. Okay, we get that. That's why she's been frozen in the first place.

But for some reason they believe that, if Relena chooses to die, willingly dies, then the mechanism will be canceled.

In other words: if Relena dies by the hand of someone she loves and trusts (read Heero), because she chose too, the PPP will be terminated. That's why she asks him to kill her. (LAAAAAAME)

No more confusion now, okay?
But why they simply want to put that plan into action instead of researching for a cure, I don't know. But Relena has her brother and Noin, nephew and niece and Catherine (the crazy) Winner defending her. On the other half, we have Heero, Wufei, Duo, Trowa, Kathy Po and Quatre plotting to kill her.

And why Relena's been woken up, I don't know either. They could've just let her sleep...

About the discussion, I agree with everyone saying that they needed a more mature point of view. If you read the story, Purdys (as I have), you'll realize that they're all as *messed up* as Duo. The difference's that they don't (supposedly) have romantic pairs.
Heero's not *messed up* because he was frozen... well, since he was already *messed up*
And yes, I agree that, still, they're all out of character.

My theories and wishes:
1-) Sumisawa's doing that because he knows GW fans grew up with the characters, so we also need a more mature point of view.
2-) He wants to create a conflict, so that the characters can redeem themselves in the end... because the war hasn't ended, at least in their minds. I think he wants to put it right in the end (or I hope he does).
3-) Maybe he'll go deeper into what has happened in everyone's minds during this time, since he wanted to do a novelization in the first place.

Last edited by Ferhb; 2012-07-04 at 13:52. Reason: Bad language. Bad, bad girl.
Old 2012-07-04, 08:33   Link #4551
Tendou Souji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Goku never considered the thought of cheating on Chichi. He always knew he was married to her and did spend time with her. The only time he ever left her was when he was training, he had to save the universe, or he was dead. Duo just up and left Hilde, cheated on her, and left a kid on her doorstep while racking up a huge debt for her.

That's still no excuse that FT Duo is completely different from old Duo and has none of the characteristics of old Duo. It's like selling someone a Car than they find out they got a rusty wagon.
Goku isn't a three dimensional character. He thought marriage was a food. He elected to stay dead instead of raising his kid with his wife. He ran away at the end of the manga to raise a kid he didn't even know. Goku was a terrible father and husband.

Again, Purdy. We jumped back into DUo's life years after Endless Waltz. We don't know what he went through emotionally during that time.
Tendou Souji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 09:44   Link #4552
IkuzeMinna
Shall we?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdys99 View Post
Seriously? o.O What the hell is the point then? Why freaking lie? Would that change anything?
...uh... I don't know? Probs not.

Quote:
I find it ironic how Duo and Hilde have turned out. Among the fanfiction writers, there seems to be this unspoken consensus that 2xH was the stable couple. Every time there is a 1xR fic depicting Heero and Relena in a tumultuous romance, you can bet 2xH will arrive on the scene to contrast the turmoil with their blissful union. If I had a nickel for every time that happened, I'd probably have enough to buy the GW DVD box set. lol
Hahaha! Now that you mention it, there is one thing Sumizawa borrowed from fanfics: Duo having an abusive partner. Though in fics it's usually Heero or some other dude. xD

Quote:
I always thought if Duo and Hilde potential romance as a challenging one. CHALLENGING, but NEVER toxic. Sumizawa passed toxic 9.46 parameters ago . I'd imagine there'd be a lot of passionate bickering due to them getting on each other's nerves and unable to cope with their love for one another. Not to mention both of them having to deal with their demons from the war and Duo's immaturity. I can see him running off tons of times but he'd always be back, and against her own logic, she'd forgive him b/c she's tough and (as a soldier) she understands that he has a lot of inner turmoil to deal with. In turn he'd feel guilty but can't stay away because every time he comes back from a fight and sees her again, he's reminded of how much he deeply cares for her b/c in the end they're each other's best friend. Eventually, Duo would recognize that life has to move on and he'd recognize that he was afraid to be happy all along which was why he was running. And finally, no matter how many years, they'd end up together.(sigh) That was my dream for them
First of all, Duo is immature? I would appreciate it if you could elaborate a little on that since I'm afraid I fail to understand what you are referring to.

And second, just ignore FT and keep dreaming. Nothing is stopping you. (this is not meant in a deprecating manner)

Quote:
Also, while everyone has pretty much agreed that 'passed' Duo is completely out of character, what the hell did Sumizawa do to Hilde?! You already called her a 'shrieking harpy' and I couldn't agree more. [...]
You haven't seen Catherine yet. She freaking punches you for not saying "hi." Nevermind that she forgot all about her hate for war and is training Gundam pilots now.

Quote:
Also, I don't mean to be a hater. But honestly, FT deserves its criticism. For better and mostly for worse however, its still pretty darn entertaining. lol
True, true, it's a guilty pleasure. Like watching Spongebob even though you know it's a cheap Ren & Stimpy knock-off.

Quote:
That is what I was saying earlier in the thread Deacon. The characters are in their late 30s and early 40s now. They aren't going to behave the same. I could see if this novel was 5 years later but this is decades. Life happens. People go through things. Duo went through a dark patch in life. Remember that these guys never really got to experience life. They were always fighting and running on adrenaline. When you do something and finally get to sit down and think about it your mind is going to do laps. Soldiers go through it all the time. [...]
Duo lost everything while he was a kid and was pretty suicidal. He tried to kill himself at least 3 times. People don't seem to remember that though.
Umm, I don't remember indeed. When did Duo try to kill himself for the sake of committing suicide?
Please don't call him suicidal when he's acting out of confidentiality obligations. Or when he's opting to risk getting shot to steal food rather than starve to death. Or when he's ready to sacrifice his life for the sake of others.
Heero was suicidal. Trowa, too. They would have simply thrown away their lives, had Relena and Catherine not intervened. But Duo is very much fond of life. There's enough evidence in the series to support this claim.

Anyway, I don't think anyone ever expected them to behave the same. I expected them to have changed, be it for better or for worse. But when you give me Duo cutting his braid and giving up his name and whatnot to buy a bike, thus treating Father Maxwell, Sister Helen, Solo as well as Hilde like crap, the things most important to him, I demand a good explanation. And "I'm depressed/bored/woke up one morning and decided to be a total douche" is not cutting it, you know?

Besides, with the explanation given so far, I feel his depression is unfounded, anyway (as well as many others'). In the series he tells Hilde he doesn't mind being the God of Death forever. He tells Heero that he should live his life to the fullest as long as he can. In episode 38, he also tells Quatre that he should be the only one fighting and suffering as much as he has, when the White Fang starts rising. He wonders if there can really be peace and Quatre tells him that one cannot give up hope to which Duo concedes he's probably right. Then, he jokingly adds that a dismal future might actually be fitting for the God of Death.
I don't know about you but this doesn't sound like "Oh, woe is me" to my ears. And it sure as heck doesn't sound like a guy who'd leave a bunch of orphans to fend for themselves. >_>

I'm not saying Duo is without issues. All the times he says he's going to Hell are big fat hints that he's well aware he's slaughtering people. But that's it. To me, it seems as if he accepts those facts and gets on with his life. I'm pretty sure he follows the advice he gives Heero; carpe diem basically.
And as for why I keep quoting the series, it's not that I'm insisting on stagnation of his character. I just point out 180s without sufficient explanation. And as long as I don't get these sufficient explanations, I'm gonna give FT flak because that simply isn't good storytelling.

If Duo is depressed, fine. But what triggered it? I refuse to believe that someone growing up in a war and acting more or less normal throughout it, cynical yes, but with enormous selflessness, is suddenly going to fall into depression during peacetime and treat people like dirt for no apparent reason. That just doesn't make sense to me. Especially not with the noble way characters in GW usually act. And most definitely not considering Duo's last words in EW: "The important thing is that we all have a home to go back to." How does that tie in with his dismal relationship to Hilde in FT? All FT gave me was them arguing and bam, that's it.

Quote:
We jumped back into Duo's life years after Endless Waltz. We don't know what he went through emotionally during that time.
We should though. I'm sorry, I'm completely with Purdy on this one. Sumizawa can't write worth crap when it comes to FT.
Though I agree on Goku. Worst father ever. Even Vegeta is better than him.

Oh and Ferhb. Language!

Last edited by IkuzeMinna; 2012-07-05 at 10:10. Reason: added argument, missed some letters... the usual
IkuzeMinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 11:15   Link #4553
DuoRanger
Banned

so sumizawa is trying to copy the same shits that Morrisson did with marvel years Ago?
DuoRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 13:49   Link #4554
Ferhb

Ooooops, Ikuze! Sorry! It escaped XD

*fixing it right now*
Old 2012-07-04, 14:21   Link #4555
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
*bashes head on desk*

An adult is NOT going to have the same characteristics as a teenager. Hell, a 40-something year old isn't going to have the same mindset as a 20-something year old. Everything about us changes as we get older and wiser. Sometimes those of us who were carefree and light-hearted turn into backstabbing assholes later on in life. Unforeseen events and incidents that happen in life mold and shape us into different people.

The thing is, you have to remember that these were teenagers portrayed in the television series... they have super weapons so they can have the "I'm gonna change the world! I'll save it and they kick back with some champagne afterwards!"

Not to use Duo as a specific example, but... you saw what Duo grew up with. He didn't exhibit any of this in the series, for obvious reasons, but what's to say that he didn't just snap at some point later on down the line? Maybe he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder! Soldiers coming back end up suffering from that months sometimes years after they've exited the combat arena. People can have a midlife crisis too. The list is exhaustive, really.

Man... I guess I really need to refocus my efforts on this damn novel, huh? :S

And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Old 2012-07-04, 14:53   Link #4556
susyia

the gundam wing boys shown in the anime will always will be in my heart ... if you guys pay attention to the EW will realize that there was a change in their behavior they were more mature... because of that I thought the ova / movie was too serious ...least the scenes with the duo I tthink it was funny... then its normal that FT the G boys are that way so i hhoooppeee i don't cry in anger or sadness
I'm really sad how quatre is right now I always thought he would marry and have children would not be a disappointed life without tears for me he was the most well-adjusted and my favorite too he has his ups and downs but I confess I was surprised
susyia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 15:00   Link #4557
Black Lion

I'm just wondering if all this is going to be officially endorsed by Sunrise or Bandai - IE, model kits and game appearances.

And when is the third tankoban (that is what they're called right?) for Glory set to release? I'm itching to have it in my hands after reading Deacon's releases
Old 2012-07-04, 15:04   Link #4558
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

He was also the one that most easily snapped, so he always had the potential to have a less-than-desirable life. All of them were pretty screwed as far as social lives were concerned.
Old 2012-07-04, 15:16   Link #4559
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lion View Post
I'm just wondering if all this is going to be officially endorsed by Sunrise or Bandai - IE, model kits and game appearances.

And when is the third tankoban (that is what they're called right?) for Glory set to release? I'm itching to have it in my hands after reading Deacon's releases
It came out last month. I've already released all the chapters (save for the very latest). I'm finishing up the third compilation volume as I type this, so I'll have it out tonight or tomorrow.

Old 2012-07-04, 15:27   Link #4560
Black Lion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
It came out last month. I've already released all the chapters (save for the very latest). I'm finishing up the third compilation volume as I type this, so I'll have it out tonight or tomorrow.
Oh damn, am I late or what? I can't seem to find it on my usual websites though... do you know a good place to purchase it from by chance?

Tags
frozen teardrop, glory of the losers, gundam wing