AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-09-26, 01:43   Link #4561
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
ah! the super sonic speed bomber of academy city.

With the lost of aerial power of the magic side. Th academy city dominates the air with jets faster than the speed of sound.
and bombs that can "turn Russia into a sea of fire and magma"
Old 2010-09-27, 05:38   Link #4562
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Phew, managed to read vol 8 - 10 at last. . . I want to jump to vol 12 because vol 11 haven't been fully translated, but I guess I'll wait for a while ;( Thanks for teh_ping for translating this awesome piece of works.

I never know that this novel had such a writing that explain the concepts of this world in so much details. It's more like most of the dialogues are composed of explaining the concept + plot development...and some fanservice moments. Not to mention, heavy religion theme and magic, things that I took fond of. . .

I must say that the one who write this is so damn smart to be that deep into the science side too >_>;

Old 2010-09-27, 07:05   Link #4563
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Well, more like pseudosciences but since this is a science-fiction work, who cares :P. If the author use real scientific explanation he will be a world known scientist instead of a novelist.
Old 2010-09-27, 08:07   Link #4564
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

The point is he made the effort to explain (sometimes to a fault) and does quite a heavy duty load of research for both topics of science and religion These days alot of stories tend to mix Science and Magic into one, but INDEX was able to give them different and unique characteristics to separate the two.

If Kazuma Kamachi and Dan Brown get together one day... >.>
Old 2010-09-27, 08:26   Link #4565
giorno

this doesn't stop him/her for making pretty glaring mistakes, on both sides(though on the magic side, it's generally on purpose)...
Old 2010-09-27, 10:34   Link #4566
Karna
just some guy

About this part of the translation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume 13 Part 9
Kihara's body is separated from Accelerator's hand, goes across the abandoned office at a terrible velocity, is thrown outside through the broken window, and cuts through the night sky at many times the speed of sound. In the wake of the excessive speed, an afterimage of orange-colored plasma remains.

There's no need to express confirmation that Kihara is dead.
Wasn't Kihara supposed to go flying at mach 10 or something? I thought a exact mach number was given???
Old 2010-09-27, 11:06   Link #4567
tsunade666

It can be translate as that though when I check the copy I read the poart of speed of sound and a word ten and in the night sky.

though personally I don't find any problem on the translation.
Old 2010-09-27, 11:32   Link #4568
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by giorno View Post
this doesn't stop him/her for making pretty glaring mistakes, on both sides(though on the magic side, it's generally on purpose)...
The problem with science is that no matter how much you research a part of it, it will always end up being contradicted by something else. There are no absolutes in science, only theories.

It's a little hard on the poor author to expect him to be one-hundred percent correct on everything. Even the best of scientists make mistakes.
Old 2010-09-27, 11:44   Link #4569
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Nope. Things only get contradictory when you start making equations and/or graphs/charts/vector fields. All the concepts (at least those covered by the translations and the spoilers) sound fine to me, but feel free to point out anything that you found to be glaring.
Old 2010-09-27, 11:50   Link #4570
Shad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Nope. Things only get contradictory when you start making equations and/or graphs/charts/vector fields. All the concepts (at least those covered by the translations and the spoilers) sound fine to me, but feel free to point out anything that you found to be glaring.
I think that when Accelerator stopped the earth rotation for 5 minutes everything in the earth would have gone into the space.
Old 2010-09-27, 11:58   Link #4571
tsunade666

no it won't because it only stop the rotation and not the nullifying the gravity and guys!!! we had an appropriate thread for that one. This is the novel thread.
Old 2010-09-27, 12:05   Link #4572
ZeroForever

the theories can be fine but artificial numbers applied to them like the one noted above fall into rule of cool zone, which case the number defies common/logical sense.

people have also done the math (to lazy to find the post but it's on animesuki) to show that the metal particle manipulation that mikoto uses is pretty much is impossible given how we know electromagnets work. (honestly the series works better if they just at some point say that AIM is just a alternate form of magic because they way the portray some of the powers defies to many sciences.)
Old 2010-09-27, 12:35   Link #4573
giorno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
feel free to point out anything that you found to be glaring.
uh oh. http://www.mangafox.com/manga/to_aru...1/c001/14.html
http://www.mangafox.com/manga/to_aru...1/c001/24.html

then, can you explain to me how an arcade token flying at that speed can do that?

actually, the fact that a projectile could flip a car over like that instead of just piercing through it is already quite strange...
Old 2010-09-27, 13:10   Link #4574
Miraluka
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad View Post
I think that when Accelerator stopped the earth rotation for 5 minutes everything in the earth would have gone into the space.
I'm sure that part said "slowed down the earth rotation for 5 minutes" after Accelerator used part of the kinetic energy from some second of it.

Quote:

then, can you explain to me how an arcade token flying at that speed can do that?

actually, the fact that a projectile could flip a car over like that instead of just piercing through it is already quite strange...
Failgun
Old 2010-09-27, 13:15   Link #4575
LockeManuel

Quote:

Apply Rule of Cool and that's it!
Old 2010-09-27, 16:24   Link #4576
Satehi

What I don't really get is how the earth re accelerated after Accelerator used those 5 minutes worth of Energy. I'm pretty sure the earth doesn't constantly accelerate.
Old 2010-09-27, 16:50   Link #4577
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

For me, it doesn't really matter if there are problems in the research since all ESPer powers break a rule of physics one way or another.
Old 2010-09-27, 17:05   Link #4578
sasuke706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satehi View Post
What I don't really get is how the earth re accelerated after Accelerator used those 5 minutes worth of Energy. I'm pretty sure the earth doesn't constantly accelerate.
The author never said the Earth re-accelerated, but the Earth does constantly rotate...it's kind of how the sun shows up and goes away. He simply slowed the rotation by five minutes, which blah blah stuff about the Earth's rotation naturally slowing, raping like several millenniums worth of deceleration. Basically, a day is slightly longer. Wonder if the author will ever play on that.
Old 2010-09-27, 17:50   Link #4579
Satehi

But if he took energy from the earth, then wouldn't the earth rotation speed be consistently slower? Or is it that there are 5 minutes less in every day? Because I'd imagine reselling all those clocks would be wayyy more then 8 trillion yen.
Old 2010-09-27, 18:04   Link #4580
sasuke706

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satehi View Post
But if he took energy from the earth, then wouldn't the earth rotation speed be consistently slower? Or is it that there are 5 minutes less in every day? Because I'd imagine reselling all those clocks would be wayyy more then 8 trillion yen.
Yes, the Earth is permanently slower unless SCIENCE! intervenes. And it's more like there's more minutes, and since the rotation was slowed, it'd probably increase a day's length by a bit more than 5 minutes, but screw math especially when I don't even know all the figures. And they probably wouldn't really have to adjust clocks, as right now a day isn't really 24 hours but a few minutes less, so in the Index universe it'd just be X minutes past 24 hours.

Also, theorized that a few billion years ago, the Earth's day-length wasn't even half of what it is now, and day length varies for each planet, along with month/year length.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, dengeki bunko, fantasy, light novels, science fiction, shounen